Little things you like about Pokémon

I remember when Bulbapedia defined a "legendary" as a non-evolving Pokémon with a BST over 580. Good times.

Anyway, earlier I noticed that Sword and Shield's Stealth Rock animation shows the rocks turning invisible, which both fits with the "stealth" part of the name.

EDIT: Another thing I just remembered... Qwilfish has "ハ" (ha) on its tail, the first kana in its Japanese name. Hisuian Qwilfish has a lowercase "q" because it's the unevolved form, then Overqwil has a capital "Q". I wonder when Pokémon's localised names are decided in development?

Last edited:
I remember when Bulbapedia defined a "legendary" as a non-evolving Pokémon with a BST over 580. Good times.

Anyway, earlier I noticed that Sword and Shield's Stealth Rock animation shows the rocks turning invisible, which both fits with the "stealth" part of the name.

EDIT: Another thing I just remembered... Qwilfish has "ハ" (ha) on its tail, the first kana in its Japanese name. Hisuian Qwilfish has a lowercase "q" because it's the unevolved form, then Overqwil has a capital "Q". I wonder when Pokémon's localised names are decided in development?
With gens 1-5, localized names come more or less after the games were done with development. Likely towards the tail end of development at earliest, towards the later half.
With XY-on it seems that localization is done in tandem, but I assume the Japanese still decides their names first since that gives a bigger amount of context for the localization staff, so it can have a world wide release.

Speaking of Whiscash, it has a W on its forehead even though its Japanese name (Namazun or something) doesn't begin with W. I wonder if the localisers chose its name to tie in with that?

I wonder if Overqwil ever gets a "Johtoian form" if its tail will have the other form of ハ
Now I want to see fanart of that. The hiragana ha is は, by the way. And while the markings on Qwilfish's tail admittedly look like generic parallel lines, the "q" and "Q" can't be mistaken for anything else.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The first Dark-type moves were all weak but had added effects to compensate, which makes me wonder if the idea behind Dark-types is that they're intelligent enough to know that they're weak, so they use underhanded tactics and find strength in numbers.
Well you know in Japan they're not called "Dark-type" but rather "Evil-type", the idea being that they don't necessarily use the power of darkness (though many seem to so it could be considered a secondary trait) but rather they're dirty fighters. Their Moves are weak but that's because they either have a hindering secondary effect or they get a power boost upon the target fulfilling a certain condition.

I like how Gen 8 introduced new members for legendary groups from previous generations. The Crown Tundra introduced Regieleki and Regidrago to the Regis, and L:A introduced Enamorus to the Forces of Nature. I also like how these are similar to the older members of their groups. The two new Regis are single-typed with a pattern on their body (head?) similar to the three first regis, and their stat spreads are a bit similar too with one stat being very high and the others being low to average. Enamorus is a dual-type Pokémon with Flying as its secondary type, it also has two forms like the first three Forces of Nature. The Incarnate form looks very similar to the Incarnate forms of the others, while the Therian form is very different from both the Incarnate forms and from all other Therian forms. It also has some stat changes between its two forms, although these are a bit bigger than for any of the others in my eyes. Its Ability changes too, it seems.
Regieleki and Regidrago are a bit odd when it comes to comparing them with the original Regi Trio. Yes, they are definitely new members of the group, but that's purely from aesthetic. Stats-wise they're quite different beasts. The original Regi Trio were meant to be walls, at best tanks (infact Registeel doesn't have a 200/100 defensive stat & 100/50 offense stat, rather both defense stats are 150 and both offense stats are 75). 'Eleki & 'Drago are more offense focused with the major difference between them is swapping the values of their HP & Speed. And that I feel is a bit of a mistake, as 'Eleki is lucky and gets 200 in Speed making it a speedy attacker. Meanwhile 'Drago pulls the short stick having 200 HP but paired with 50 defenses, ouch. Instead of putting that 200 in HP they should have kept its HP at 80 like all the other Regi and split the remaining 120 between its offense stats (maybe even decrease its Speed to allocate some of those points to offense, make it a slow & hard hitter compared to 'Eleki being fast but not as strong).

Enamorus is neat as her Therian Forme completes the Chinese Four Symbols, her being the Black Turtle. I'm curious if that's the main reason they decided to make a fourth, and since they were making a fourth they decided to go a little bit more unique with her design by basing it on female kami. Interestingly you'd think they would make her BST 600 to match Landorus, but she's 580 like Tornadus and Thundurus which I guess further affirms Landorus is the leader of the group (now I'm imagining them as a four member Power Ranger team). Though she's essentially her own member, while her Incarnate stats don't differ too widely from the others there's three notable differences: She has the highest Special Attack via having taken 5 points from HP & Speed (also meaning she has the lowest HP but Landorus is still slower than her). Therian Formes already have wildly different stats so there's nothing to observe there except she has stats you'd expect of a turtle (highest stats are defenses (which are the highest of all Therian Forms) but she has low Speed (though this does allow her to have higher offense)). As for Abilities, I'm not sure they fit her stats though they're more meant to be based on her personality (which is also semi-true for the guys). She can be kind (Healer) or cruel (Contrary), her Therian Forme's Ability being Overcoat simply because she's a turtle.

And let's not forgot about the Galarian Legendary Birds (which stat-wise are an improvement in my opinion, though Abilities feel they decided aesthetic over mechanics).

Though aside my little complaint I do really like that they're adding onto older Legendary groups (I've had a similar idea, and them doing this had made me go back and change what I had thought to do).

Lugia Logistics:
That's why I also said it could be like Melmetal, where it's somewhere between generations
Shudo's recollection is a little...off the cuff, selective.
He made it "solely for the movie" and was "surprised" to see it in the games and later in the TV show. And then shrugged it off saying he wondered what happened with the directors and game development. Which would be weird for a number of reasons.

But then in other blog posts he mentions how it was a fairly big team effort. Ken Sugimori was involved, and likely other members of both the anime staff and game staff.
While he created the "character" of Lugia, and likely spearheaded some of the design efforts, I imagine the plan once he brought up this new Pokemon was always to put it into the games.
It could be both. Like, from what we know about Shudo, would it be that surprising if in his mind he was making a creature totally unique to the anime's world yet not knowing (or was told and forgot/brushed it off) that GF the entire time was going to add it into the game? In that case, depending on who you ask, Lugia was designed to be either:

A unique creature comparable to Pokemon but of great power. I think that was what Shudo thought when making Lugia, he didn't see it as a Pokemon but as a unique deity/angelic figure. Thus why Lugia's design doesn't really match either the Legendary Bird or Ho-Oh (or why its aesthetic of being a sea guardian yet it's a Psychic/Flying-type).
A brand new Pokemon to not only sell the movie on but then later place in the new Gen II games to advertise them. With Ho-Oh being the boss of the Beasts, Lugia would be made the "boss" of the Birds to equal them out. Unsure if this was the plan from the start or they decided, if Shudo was making a new creature which had rule over the Legendary Birds, might as well add it in. This could even be why both Ho-Oh and Lugia are capturable in both games instead of them being version exclusive.

So I guess Lugia being the master of the birds should not really be seen as game canon.
Eh, I'd say it's "loose" canon. Like, if Lugia and the Legendary Bird just so happen to be in the same game and they want to emphasize Lugia being a mascot Legendary then they could use the Legendary Birds in a way to prop it up. However & otherwise, neither of them need one another to be in the game. Like, if Ho-Oh and Regigigas appear there would be people who wonder "where are the Beasts/Regi" (or vice versa), however if Lugia appears no one would really wonder if that means the Legendary Birds are also (or vice versa).

Regieleki and Regidrago are a bit odd when it comes to comparing them with the original Regi Trio. Yes, they are definitely new members of the group, but that's purely from aesthetic. Stats-wise they're quite different beasts. The original Regi Trio were meant to be walls, at best tanks (infact Registeel doesn't have a 200/100 defensive stat & 100/50 offense stat, rather both defense stats are 150 and both offense stats are 75). 'Eleki & 'Drago are more offense focused with the major difference between them is swapping the values of their HP & Speed. And that I feel is a bit of a mistake, as 'Eleki is lucky and gets 200 in Speed making it a speedy attacker. Meanwhile 'Drago pulls the short stick having 200 HP but paired with 50 defenses, ouch. Instead of putting that 200 in HP they should have kept its HP at 80 like all the other Regi and split the remaining 120 between its offense stats (maybe even decrease its Speed to allocate some of those points to offense, make it a slow & hard hitter compared to 'Eleki being fast but not as strong).
I made a chart one time to figure out which theoretical eeveeloution statlines were viable. My basic principle was "atk/satk+speed OR atk/satk+def/sdef+hp OR def+sdef+hp". The idea was you either needed to be able to outspeed and kill, or you needed to be able to tank a hit and kill, or you needed to tank every hit. Yes, it was dirty and inaccurate in various ways, but it was good enough for what I needed.

I bring this up because sometimes I think GF puts even less thought into their statlines than that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I made a chart one time to figure out which theoretical eeveeloution statlines were viable. My basic principle was "atk/satk+speed OR atk/satk+def/sdef+hp OR def+sdef+hp". The idea was you either needed to be able to outspeed and kill, or you needed to be able to tank a hit and kill, or you needed to tank every hit. Yes, it was dirty and inaccurate in various ways, but it was good enough for what I needed.

I bring this up because sometimes I think GF puts even less thought into their statlines than that.
Hm, I think that's an oversimplification since with the Eeveelutions it's they have 3 high stats (130, 110, and 95) and three low stats (two 65s & a 60). Not every Pokemon is built that way, for many they have have just one or two high stats, two or three (or even four) average stats, and then one or two low stats. Oh, and let's not forget that some Pokemon are specifically designed to be slow which is an important factor due to Trick Room or another gimmick that either messed with turn order or makes going second not that big of an issue (or even preferred, isn't that right Wobbuffet?).

Hm, I think that's an oversimplification since with the Eeveelutions it's they have 3 high stats (130, 110, and 95) and three low stats (two 65s & a 60). Not every Pokemon is built that way, for many they have have just one or two high stats, two or three (or even four) average stats, and then one or two low stats. Oh, and let's not forget that some Pokemon are specifically designed to be slow which is an important factor due to Trick Room or another gimmick that either messed with turn order or makes going second not that big of an issue (or even preferred, isn't that right Wobbuffet?).
Yeah, like I said, it was designed to be fast and easy, but the point is that I was thinking 'will these stats produce a mon that has something it can do well', which sometimes seems like a step the official mons skip.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
FRLG are a lot of fun to me, and on reflection probably the only remakes in the series I find more enjoyable than the originals. What I like most about them, though, is definitely what they added to Kanto - the Sevii Islands.

1653943118365.png

I really like the Sevii Islands a lot. While I know many people wanted (and probably still do want) the Orange Islands to appear in a game I feel that the Seviis really did a good job of substituting for them. In fact the Seviis do double-duty in that they're substituting both for Johto AND the Orange Islands. And they did a really good job of it IMO. They were so unique and so full of secrets. And they manage to feel like a whole other region apart from Kanto and Johto. It's so unlikely we'll ever return to them which is sad; there's a mystique to the Sevii Islands that the other regions don't have. But it's nice that they still occasionally get referenced - I appreciated the little shoutout they got in USUM.

The decision to hold back the latter portion of the chain until the National Dex was a good one. Islands 4-7 feel slightly wilder and more untamed than islands 1-3; there's a sense that the further south you travel the deeper into the unknown you're going.

Of the seven main islands, Six Island is probably my favourite overall. It's absolutely stuffed with mysterious and characteristic locations: Dotted Hole, Ruin Valley, Pattern Bush, Outcast Island, Altering Cave. As a child playing FRLG for the first time I was obsessed with what the mystery behind Pattern Bush must be, even going as far as to Cut away every single grassy patch in there; it was so disappointing to learn that the secret is just "it looks a bit like a circuit board". Altering Cave, too, is delightfully weird if you don't know why it's there and completely fired up my young imagination (some people said that the cave layout looks like Mew... personally, I don't see it). Even the Green Path is a delightful little spot, with the two houses perched outside of the main town. It's almost certainly where I'd choose to live if I lived in the Sevii Islands (yes, I have my dream house locations picked out for each region, what of it). I also like the fun little easily-overlooked detail that a Rocket Grunt hangs out at Outcast Island before you defeat the Admins in the Warehouse on Five Island; it's easy to miss but cool nonetheless.

But the other islands have loads of stuff I appreciate. Two Island's Game Corner was always fun because I rarely had someone to play those games with (and still don't tbh - even though I have more than one GBA and wireless adaptors, two hands is not enough). Five Island's Lost Cave is spooky and surprisingly fun to figure out (it's somewhat similar in nature to Sinnoh's Turnback Cave) and I spent countless hours inside the Ice Cave looking for that elusive Sneasel. I was also far too proud of the fact that I worked out the trick to getting TM42 on Five Island without a guide; Pokemon games need more of that sort of stuff. Lastly, Trainer Tower was a fun change of pace from the Battle Towers of RS and Crystal. At that point in the series I was still appallingly bad at the mainstream battle facilities so having one I could reliably beat was appreciated. Too bad you can't use Thief to steal pinch berries from the trainers, though (yes, I tried and failed); had to wait until I got Colosseum to get my hands on them.

And of course there are the two secret islands. I have a great fondness for Birth Island; it was the first and only Gen III event I was able to attend (living in a small UK city will do that to you) but I managed to convince my parents to drop by the area where they were hosting the giveaway and download the ticket. I'd caught Deoxys by the time we got home 20 minutes later. I never got the MysticTicket, sadly, but I've still kept the save file with the AuroraTicket on it from all those years ago.

What intrigues me perhaps most of all about the Sevii Islands is that the game data hints at there being even more islands in the chain - location pointers for Islands 8, 9, 22, 23, and 24 all exist (why the massive gap? So bizarre)*. I've always liked to think that they could still exist - it's confirmed in-game that the chain being called "Sevii" because there are seven is a misconception. So maybe there are various smaller islands further away from the main archipelago; maybe we deliberately weren't shown the whole extent.

Lastly, I've always found it odd that people obsess over whether they're part of Kanto or not, but maybe that's because part of my family comes from Guernsey in the Channel Islands. For those not in the know, the UK has various island territories known as the "crown dependencies" (Guernsey is one of them, Jersey and the Isle of Man are others). They officially belong to the monarchy, yet are not part of the UK and are self-governing. I look at the Seviis the same way; they're part of the greater Kanto territory but self-administering and not beholden to the mainland.

So yeah. Big love to the Sevii Islands, perhaps the most unique main series game region of all.

*I've often wondered if the gap in numbers is intended to parallel how Japan's IRL route numbering system has large gaps, which the numbering of the routes in Poke-Japan mimics.

*I've often wondered if the gap in numbers is intended to parallel how Japan's IRL route numbering system has large gaps, which the numbering of the routes in Poke-Japan mimics.
I mean, Hoenn and Sinnoh are based on entirely separate islands from Kanto/Johto. And both of those Kanto and Johto together do not cover all of the main island geographically, so it could also be that those route numbers are implied used in parts of Japan that haven't become regions, and/or show how Hoenn and Sinnoh are both far away from Kanto/Johto but still a part of Poke-Japan.

I found video of the Pokemon Fossil Exhibit that shows off the displays. Seeing the T-rex drawn in the Sugimori art style reminds me of the the original plans for the 3rd movie, with a T-rex being resurrected and reeking havoc in Kanto.
I don't think I can imagine a more exciting combination of topics for a child than paleontology and Pokemon. If there had been an exhibit like that near me when I was little I would have thought it was the coolest shit ever.

Oh who am I kidding I still think it's the coolest shit ever.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
It's amazing to see what kind of experiences Pokemon provides as an intellectual property, even if the games unfortunately waste a lot of potential. The creature designs always go a long way, considering that TPC does more with them than Game Freak is allowed to.
The games may have been what kickstarted the franchise in the '90s, but it was everything else based around the games- the trading cards, the anime, the manga, et cetera- that helps drive appeal towards said games for an audience that may very well not be interested in the games elsewhere. In a day and age dominated by technological innovation, it can be very easy to think that the games are the heart of Pokémon's cash-printing formula, but they really aren't.

So 2 entire years after it came out, Pokemon Smile is getting an update to add the Johto Pokemon.

Which I post here because even if the app was inexplicable and had eyerollingly focused on the gen 1 pokemon exclusively (notably, all of them and then also....Smeargle, Ludicolo, Mime Jr & Dedenne???) the art style is ridiculously cute and the little preview they have of them continues that trend

look at those little babies

Today I learned that Pokémon Smile was released. Also, the art style reminds me of Tamagotchi, which reminds me of a conversation I had on Bulbagarden years ago where I wondered if Gen 2 was trying to cash in on its popularity.

Anyway, I came here to say that I just realised how much I take Pokémon's saving system for granted; you can save anywhere in the overworld, and you'll always be returned to the spot you saved at. Even first-party Nintendo games lack that (eg: Zelda).

So 2 entire years after it came out, Pokemon Smile is getting an update to add the Johto Pokemon.

Which I post here because even if the app was inexplicable and had eyerollingly focused on the gen 1 pokemon exclusively (notably, all of them and then also....Smeargle, Ludicolo, Mime Jr & Dedenne???) the art style is ridiculously cute and the little preview they have of them continues that trend

look at those little babies
iFunny ROM hack where?

1654125623105.png

I going to gush how much I like Koraidon.
1654125779334.png
1654125895025.png

Its body shape is more of a lizardman vibe similar to Hannibals from God Eater.
1654125914666.png
1654125931765.png

It has the same box art pose as Zekrom, one of my top favorite legendaries and Pokemon in general.

1654126022326.png

Its chest tire crest is based on the dewlaps of males anoles.

And if a leak is true, its a Dragon/Fighting type, which means we finally get one that is hyper offense instead of being mostly defensive like Kommo-o. Imagine Zekrom with access to Shift Gear.

I like that the games have the foresight to have a failsafe if a Pokemon enters a game with a Pokeball that doesn't exist in that game's Coding.

-In Diamond/Pearl/Platinum for the Apricorn and Sport balls, and Sword/Shield for the Legends: Arceus Pokeballs, any invalid Pokeball IDs just look like normal Pokeballs, but still retain their proper type when traded back to a game where they exist
-in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl for the Legends: Arceus Pokeballs and Legends: Arceus for all normal Pokeballs, invalid IDs instead show up as a completely unique Pokeball called the Strange Ball, that cannot be obtained in any other way.

Home has shown that they still retain their original Pokeballs no matter what, so it is possible they will have all of them coded into Scarlet and Violet(not as useable items in the case of the Legends balls, but at the very least Pokemon caught in them retain their Pokeballs)

Also as a bonus fun fact, Dialga and Palkia are currently the ONLY species that can be available in any Pokeball ever made, since they both have had multiple Cherish Ball events. What makes them be the only ones that fall into this, however, is that in Legends: Arceus, you catch one of them in the cutscene/key item exclusive Origin Ball, while the other one can be caught in any normal Legends Pokeball. It is impossible to get ahold of Origin Balls for normal use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)