Little things you like about Pokémon

Going off of the last post; I kind of like what they've done with Victory Road from BW2 onward. Usually it's just completely a cave area honestly indistinguishable from the likes of Rock Tunnel and Granite Cave, but recently we've seen a lot more variation - there's now outside areas with grass and waterfalls which also means the amount of Pokémon you can find are very varied; and of course the scenery has a lot more variation too. It feels much more like a small summary of your adventure, a little tribute to the entire region rather than just "big cave".

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I love how this game brings people together into amazing communities like this one filled with people with different skillsets and interests (namely looking at Smeargle's Studio with regards to skillsets), because I most certainly would not be mentally stable without this place having come into my life. Also the fact that you are able to meet such a vast array of people that allows you to see much more in the games than you would see with simple game- and friend-circle-only exposure to the series, ranging from the remix community to the artist community, from the competitive community to the casual community and even to the community who have moved on from the games yet stay on the site's social forums due to just how amazing and diverse the community is.

I also love how Game Freak do so much for the sake of their fans. Kinda like Sakurai giving us Mewtwo in Smash 4, Game Freak keep chucking us more and more stuff to go ape over in the form of events and special distributions like the Eon Ticket in ORAS and the little features that they add that give us that little bit extra in terms of our experience with the games (following Pokémon in HGSS, the battle zone in Platinum, hard mode in B2W2, Pokémon Amie, secret bases, the underground, bedroom decoration, Super Training, the Looker Bureaux, the Kanto region in GSC and HGSS, Cerulean Cave in RBY and, as much as I loathe it, the Delta Episode in ORAS).

VGC and TCG championships are both really amazing as well. While I have only been to one of them, I made life-long friends at that one that I went to and it is an experience that I am not going to forget any time soon. In addition, they are another thing for us fans to go completely ape over, so that's another plus I guess.

Last edited:
Here's something that doesn't appear to be mentioned yet (or at least only in passing) - ribbons! I like that there is a variety in the game, from the freebies (Downcast Ribbon and friends) to ones that take some dedication to win (the Contest ones in Gen III and IV, or the Battle Tower / Maison ribbons). I almost never play competitively, so if it weren't for the ribbons I wouldn't go through the IV-breeding / RNG-ing and EV-training that are required to get streaks. And Wifi Battle Tower in Gen IV (where you download actual teams from around the world) was a real killer, so I felt extra satisfaction earning them.

Now in reality, would my Delcatty really be happy walking around with 20+ contest ribbons always pinned on her? Probably not, but they sure are pretty to look at.

Here's something that doesn't appear to be mentioned yet (or at least only in passing) - ribbons! I like that there is a variety in the game, from the freebies (Downcast Ribbon and friends) to ones that take some dedication to win (the Contest ones in Gen III and IV, or the Battle Tower / Maison ribbons). I almost never play competitively, so if it weren't for the ribbons I wouldn't go through the IV-breeding / RNG-ing and EV-training that are required to get streaks. And Wifi Battle Tower in Gen IV (where you download actual teams from around the world) was a real killer, so I felt extra satisfaction earning them.

Now in reality, would my Delcatty really be happy walking around with 20+ contest ribbons always pinned on her? Probably not, but they sure are pretty to look at.
Ah, I actually has a Sylveon with all available 24 ribbons in this generation.

Considering how tacky it'd be, I like to think the ribbons are stored somewhere else in special case in our bag, probably like in anime's Hoenn arc. Collecting ribbons for loved Pokemon can be addicting.

Silly little breeders...

Going off of the last post; I kind of like what they've done with Victory Road from BW2 onward. Usually it's just completely a cave area honestly indistinguishable from the likes of Rock Tunnel and Granite Cave, but recently we've seen a lot more variation - there's now outside areas with grass and waterfalls which also means the amount of Pokémon you can find are very varied; and of course the scenery has a lot more variation too. It feels much more like a small summary of your adventure, a little tribute to the entire region rather than just "big cave".
I do like subtle variance in remakes like this.
I can remember back in DPP where victory road had a waterfall. Slightly different from what there usually is. I've also liked the. Using that plays in victory road. All of the themes so far are pretty good in my opinion

Looking through the version exclusive Pokemon for OR/AS, I noticed one thing. The version exclusive Pokemon for each game are mostly the same color as the game they are exclusive to. Omega Ruby has got Pokemon with red colors, while Alpha Sapphire has Pokemon with blue colors.

I also like how the Mirage Spots in OR/AS each have their own unique design. Even if they are very small and don't have much impact on the games as a whole, it still feels like there were some effort put into designing them all to be unique. I am very fond of some Mirage Islands in particular, like the one with a small volcano, one which is practically a meteor crater, another has some small ruins and my top favorite is the one with a lone palm tree standing in the middle.

The main things that I thought of that might not be on every mind are the music, RNG, and glitches.

The music from the games was all I ever listened to for a very, very long time, and what inspired me to start writing my own (even in the stuff I write nowadays I occasionally sneak in a soundfont ripped from one of the GBA or DS installments.) The soundtracks to Ruby & Sapphire, Card GB 2, and Black & White 2 are especially precious to me, and there are plenty of great tracks amongst the rest that have helped me preserve countless powerful memories.

As for RNG, while it wasn't something intended to become a focal point, it became the main reason I kept playing the games around the BW days. I loved applying the skills involved, starting out with breeding in SoulSilver and gradually expanding the repertoire. RNG in Gen III became the most enjoyable one to me, due to the utility of emulators to cut the corners time-wise without ever directly altering the Pokémon data, the potential challenge of obtaining the same Pokémon on a retail cart (or using stuff obtained on an emulator on a physical copy!), as well as my general love for the Hoenn games. Scrolling through seeds in the Researcher on RNG Reporter may have been intended as a means to an end for players and a complete externality for the game developers, but to me it was legitimately enjoyable. I kept a trade thread where I listed the stuff I got, but I almost never went through with trades or responded to CMTs because I didn't care deep down about building a huge library of competitively viable monsters, I just liked the process of obtaining and admiring them on my own copies of the games.

Glitches are the most minor of the three things here, but my interest in them goes all the way back to elementary school where I'd hear rumors about MissingNo. and foam at the mouth at the thought of testing them out on my friend's Red. I ended up experimenting quite a lot with glitches over time (though hardly at all outside RBY), and while I never made any major contributions to the ongoing studies, observing and playing with the incredible amount of exploitability in the coding loopholes that emerged over the six years of the original Kanto's development remains an activity of incredible interest to me. Amidst the devious and benign Old Man and Escape glitches, the sheer destructive force of the ZZAZZ glitch and Cooltrainer move, the aesthetic appeal of Glitch City, the delicate process of capturing glitch Pokémon and using them throughout the land, and the arbitrary code execution possible with the right sequence of actions, there are many great times to be had.

Those are a few from me!

Last edited:
Remember that annoying beeping in Gens1-3? I like how they tried to fix it in Gens 4-6, and most of their solutions turned out to be fairly effective. Its kind of funny how sassy they were with Gen 5, making it into a battle theme. And in Gen 6 they were like, "OK, the player gets it, just play the beep 4 times and call it good".

EDIT: Whoa guys! Thanks for all the likes!

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
The main things that I thought of that might not be on every mind are the music, RNG, and glitches.

The music from the games was all I ever listened to for a very, very long time, and what inspired me to start writing my own (even in the stuff I write nowadays I occasionally sneak in a soundfont ripped from one of the GBA or DS installments.) The soundtracks to Ruby & Sapphire, Card GB 2, and Black & White 2 are especially precious to me, and there are plenty of great tracks amongst the rest that have helped me preserve countless powerful memories.

As for RNG, while it wasn't something intended to become a focal point, it became the main reason I kept playing the games around the BW days. I loved applying the skills involved, starting out with breeding in SoulSilver and gradually expanding the repertoire. RNG in Gen III became the most enjoyable one to me, due to the utility of emulators to cut the corners time-wise without ever directly altering the Pokémon data, the potential challenge of obtaining the same Pokémon on a retail cart (or using stuff obtained on an emulator on a physical copy!), as well as my general love for the Hoenn games. Scrolling through seeds in the Researcher on RNG Reporter may have been intended as a means to an end for players and a complete externality for the game developers, but to me it was legitimately enjoyable. I kept a trade thread where I listed the stuff I got, but I almost never went through with trades or responded to CMTs because I didn't care deep down about building a huge library of competitively viable monsters, I just liked the process of obtaining and admiring them on my own copies of the games.

Glitches are the most minor of the three things here, but my interest in them goes all the way back to elementary school where I'd hear rumors about MissingNo. and foam at the mouth at the thought of testing them out on my friend's Red. I ended up experimenting quite a lot with glitches over time (though hardly at all outside RBY), and while I never made any major contributions to the ongoing studies, observing and playing with the incredible amount of exploitability in the coding loopholes that emerged over the six years of the original Kanto's development remains an activity of incredible interest to me. Amidst the devious and benign Old Man and Escape glitches, the sheer destructive force of the ZZAZZ glitch and Cooltrainer move, the aesthetic appeal of Glitch City, the delicate process of capturing glitch Pokémon and using them throughout the land, and the arbitrary code execution possible with the right sequence of actions, there are many great times to be had.

Those are a few from me!
I remember once recently when I was sleeping over at a friend's, and he was performing some glitches on Pokémon Yellow. I'd never tried that before, and luckily for me, he let me borrow it and taught me the right moment to reset the game in order to corrupt the save file.
What resulted was a series of crazy attempts to beat my rival. Since due to save corruption, I had 255 Pokémon and a glitchy bag, and the Pokémon each only knew a move that literally skipped the turn, I'd be searching the bag for TMs that I could teach them. The upside of all my Pokémon being level 255 was that they were able to easily KO Eevee. The downside was that they were disobedient. I remember how often I saw the "[Pokémon] began to nap!"
I vividly remember one time I succeeded in beating my rival. My Pokémon disobeyed orders, used a glitch move I didn't know it had, and finally succeeded in taking down Eevee. This is what happened:
The map was still the same, but the coloring had grown visibly darker. I couldn't move around or use the menu. The music had changed to a repeating drumbeat. However, I could talk to my rival. He said "4ERROR". Interestingly, while this box was up, the music changed to a slowed-down version of an unidentifiable song. I dubbed it the "Dark Victory" effect.
So yeah. Glitches in Gen 1 are very entertaining, and I highly recommend trying them out. Although they weren't something intended, they are still things that I like about Pokémon.

Shiny pokemon are completely random, add nothing of value to the game, and whenever I see them in the battle spot my thoughts instantly drift to "so hacked."

...but that magic moment when they appear on your screen. [warning: volume. Some of them get pretty excited...]

nothing like throwing an excessive amount of ultraballs and hearing that sweet juicy wiggle wiggle wiggle click
it's even better than the wiggle click coz there's suspense and buildup
bonus euphoria if it's ur last pokeball
Not when you're soft-resetting. The first time, exactly as above. But by the umptheenth time, you're just thinking "you'd better have outstanding stats so I can move on to the next Legendary!".

Shiny pokemon are completely random, add nothing of value to the game, and whenever I see them in the battle spot my thoughts instantly drift to "so hacked."

...but that magic moment when they appear on your screen. [warning: volume. Some of them get pretty excited...]
I disagree since that thrill of encountering a Shiny makes it worthwhile. Also, I only start thinking "hacked" when there are a lot*. To quote Ian Fleming, "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, and three times is Action Replay."

*In the Kanto Classic, I actually encountered a team of all Shinies. I thought to myself, "Is there no way that these are detected by Battle Spot? Especially in an online tournament?" Hell, I didn't even use my Shiny Moxie Gyarados because I myself didn't breed it and I don't know that it isn't hacked and I didn't want to be DQ'd over something like that.
Luckily, I won, either beating a hacker or someone who used up his/her luck in the wrong place.

TSV hatching is a thing in Gen VI; not particularly hard to get legitimate shinies unless they're legendaries.
Even getting Masuda'd shinies isn't hard anymore with the Shiny Charm. In the process of getting about a total of roughly 40 pentaflawless Pokemon with particular abilities and genders, I got 6 shiny Pokemon with 2 to 6 perfect IVs (and that's not including the 5 competitive shinies I purposely bred for with 3-5 perfect IVs).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)