Little things you like about Pokémon

August 18
Under the care of our ancestors’ healing ways, the visitor’s wounds mended. It shrank back in fear if approached with open palms, so all kept their hands closed in its presence.
Once it regained its full strength, the visitor emitted a dazzling blue light that breathed life back into our wilted fields, blessing them with the promise of harvests once more. Perhaps this was its way of showing its gratitude.
Calyrex is the one providing the blue light, right?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
August 18
Under the care of our ancestors’ healing ways, the visitor’s wounds mended. It shrank back in fear if approached with open palms, so all kept their hands closed in its presence.
Once it regained its full strength, the visitor emitted a dazzling blue light that breathed life back into our wilted fields, blessing them with the promise of harvests once more. Perhaps this was its way of showing its gratitude.
What pedestal?

August 18
Which is actually pretty wierd if you think about it. Most plants (i.e. all of them that primarily use chlorophyll) are best at receiving energy from red light.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Apparently I've never typed in this thread before. That's a problem. There's plenty of little things I like about Pokemon, particularly in my favorite Generation, being Gen 5.

-Seasons: this was an underrated little feature that gave some extra life to the environment of the games. You could also find different Pokemon during the different seasons (usually winter), and the developers even went out of their way to make different versions of numerous songs for every one of the seasons. Compare that to nowadays, where game developers are... you know what, no one likes negativity, so let's move on.

Optional content areas: okay, honestly, it just sounds like my Gen 5 era fanboying is talking and not me at this rate... but am I really wrong? These games had a TON of these areas. Just to name few, we've got the Pokemon Musical, PokeStar Studios, the PWT, the Join Avenue, and the Entralink. Unfortunately, this is when battle facilities started to make a turn for the worse, but the other places more than make up for it.

Generational parallels: if you thought I was just a Gen Fiver, think again. One of my favorite parts about the franchise as a whole that doesn't get enough attention is how the developers manage to mix and match features and assets of each region/generation on a consistent basis. A "generational parallel" by my definition is something that micmics the behavior of its counterpart from a past or future generation. The more you look into the franchise, the more of these you'll find. These are especially prevalent in games that take place in generations that have remakes of one of the specified games. For example, GSC and DPP both had a Legendary pair sharing a type, but RBY, RSE and XY all had game mascots with different types. We recently saw one in Sword and Shield with the new move Steel Beam being parallel to the creation of Gen 4's Draco Meteor, actually...

I don't always say things I like about Pokemon, especially in Sword and Shield, but I appreciate that a lot of Pokemon that needed Event Exclusive moves to stay competitively relevant have them added to their default movepool.
Now you aren't restricted to having a specific Shiny Entei with a locked nature to use ExtremeSpeed and Flare Blitz with and Victini can learn V-Create per level up.

So for terrible completionist reasons I've started a new game of Sword and that means I get to use the IoA from the start this time.
Island of Armor is intended to be slotted into your main game experience, and, while the execution of this leaves some to be desired there are some neat upshots to this:
  • IoA has a bunch of tutor moves scattered around, letting you mess with marginally better moves
  • More high quality items. Nature mints are relatively plentiful, for example, and while I'm not going to really use them its nice that i could!
  • More wild pokemon in general, which as you go on will also include rarer later game Pokemon avialable at better rates or earlier.
Just in general its ncie the IoA give access to things that are usually later in the game (or post game) or are rare, much earlier.

But key to this is.....finally....after literally years........Lickitung is available early on.

Lickitung has always been on one of those Pokemon I wanted to use, but either couldn't, could but you really dont want to, or could but I sadly already had a team lined up.

A History of Lickitung:
  • RB: Available relatively early on but its...a bad Pokemon, so....
  • Yellow: INEXPLICABLY exclusive to Cerulean Cave
  • GSC: Also available relatively early on, around the path to Blackthorn. But it's...still a bad Pokemon. So....
  • RSE: Not available
  • FRLG: Same "available early but its bad"
  • DP: Wow Lickitung got an evolution, its not an amazing one but its way more usa--oh its not in the Sinnoh Dex
  • Platinum: Its in the sinnoh dex! its available at a reasonable spot! Sadly I already had a team lined up because I had higher priorities!! There is an issue of really wanting TMs, though, and TMs in gen 4 are one use so....
  • HGSS: See above. But it's there and unlike other evolutions, not arbitrarily blocked off
  • BW1: Post game. It's also in the Dream World but that's both gone now and kind of a crapshoot (& I mean c'mon who wouldn't want to at least try to use all the new pokemon first anyway....)
  • BW2: Hey it's in the Unova Dex now! It is still post game (& Dream world)
  • XY: Why is it in the Victory Road
  • ORAS: Not available
  • SM: Not available
  • USUM: Why is it in the post game
  • Let's Go: Its a remake of Yellow and they for some reason decided that Lickitung being in Cerulean Cave should be maintained
  • SWSH Base Game: Not available.

But finally! It's in a game with infinite TMs and available at a reasonable spot. And it starts with Rollout so you even get to use Lickilicky at level like 11. Its great. I love you Lickilicky. it would be better if i wasnt quasispeedrunning this with inteleon though

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
While the overall execution of his story is highly questionable there's no denying the presentation during Chairman Rose's battle is top-tier. The way he sighs and stares at his Pokeball before manically throwing it, then standing still and glaring at you menacingly throughout the fight, my god does it excellently convey all the emotions he's feeling at that moment, the actual backdrop of the power plant room and Eternatus' shattered cocoon is also extremely unique

I like the option to use Rental teams in Gen 7 & 8. An excellent alternative if you want to try your skills in the Battle Tree/Tower or in online battling, but don’t have the time or effort required to make teams of your own, or want to try a team created by someone else that they made rental.

Somewhat related, another thing I like is how they utilized QR Codes in Gen 6 & 7. Using them for Secret Bases in OR/AS was a really great concept. Gen 7 used them for rental teams, Dex entries for Pokémon you hadn’t seen, unlocking Island Scan and for events. I wish they had used it more for events but I am still happy they did it for some events at least, notably Magearna which is a mythical event that will never expire since it was distributed through a QR Code.

One thing I randomly noticed in Sword today was that at some point, they upgraded Marnie during the daily rematch against her. I’m not sure when that happened, but it must have been related to the Crown Tundra in some way. There were two things that got upgraded. First of all, her team is now at higher levels than before which is excellent as it means more Exp. and therefore even better training. But that’s not the only thing. The background when battling her also got upgraded! Now, the background is that of Spikemuth instead of just a generic white background, and that is really cool. It also seems that Klara/Avery got a slight upgrade (which happens after participating in the Galarian Star Tournament according to Serebii), their levels are slightly higher and they got a Galarian Slowking added to their team, so that’s also good.

I have more to say about art styles, because I keep coming up with new things I like about this subject. One other art style I like is that for the Detective Pikachu movie. While I was a bit doubtful towards it at first, it grew on me over time and I think it worked fine for the movie. I never want to see them use that art style in a Pokémon game, though. But it was fine for the movie.

And speaking of the movie, I liked it. I watched it last year so it was a while ago, but I remember that I thought it was pretty good. Not quite great, but still good. I enjoyed it.

A random minor thing I noticed recently. A completely unintentional Pokémon reference in a different game. I recently started playing Final Fantasy VI Advance, and in the beginning of the game when you play as Locke and a group of Moogles, one of the Moogles is named Cosmog! That totally caught me off guard and I almost missed it. But it can’t be an actual reference to Cosmog from Pokémon since FFVI was released long before Cosmog debuted in S/M. Either way, it was really cool.

One thing I have thought of recently is this: if a Pokémon is rare/difficult to find in the game/generation it debuted in, there’s a pretty good chance it will be easier to find and not as rare in the next generation or sometimes even the next game. There are many examples of this, even if it isn’t always true. And it is true for the DLC for S/S as well. One example there is the Dreepy line. Dreepy and its evolutions are extremely rare in the base games, but considerably more common in the Crown Tundra. Wild Dragapult can be found roaming around on the overworld in many areas and weathers, and wild Drakloak seems to be relatively common in the grass in one area as well.

Speaking of the Dreepy line, one thing I noticed about Dragapult is that the tip of its tail is ethereal. That was really cool. I had never seen it before but I noticed it during the Crown Tundra after using a Dragapult on my team there.

Let’s say nice things about my least favorite generation/region! Or? I’m not sure if this actually counts towards that this time since it isn’t exactly my least favorite regarding this. Do you know what I really like that’s Johto-related? The G/S/C chapter of Pokémon Adventures! It is my favorite version of Johto, and one of my favorite chapters of the manga as well. I like pretty much everything about it. The overall story is excellent, and an example of how it is possible to make something good out of the Johto story. Team Rocket feels like an actual threat, and I think the Mask of Ice is amazing as their leader. The way they handled the Rocket admins was great as well. The legendaries and everything they do make sense; they play a very important part in the chapter and they are handled very well. The characters are great too, both the three dexholders, the Gym Leaders and all other important characters. I also feel that the Johto Pokémon get the most of the spotlight while the Kanto Pokémon doesn’t steal it from them. To summarize, I’d say it is the Johto I always dreamed of but that the games never gave me.

It had a been a long, long time since I ever fought or used a Regigigas so let me tell you doing the battle in SWSH and seeing the message "Regigigas finally got its act together" got me to do a hearty laugh

"got its act together" as the phrase used alone is worth a chuckle but its the finally that really gets me going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)