Little things you like about Pokémon

I like how in some games, the NPCs in certain areas change their behavior depending on the current time, or how there sometimes are more NPCs in some areas during certain times. Be it the time of day, the day of the week, or even the current season. I think some very notable examples can be found in the Unova games:
- In Lacunosa Town, all the NPCs go inside during the night
- In Anville Town, there are many more NPCs during the weekends
- In Undella Town, there are many more NPCs during Summer months

So that’s cool. While the execution isn’t perfect since the time system in the Pokémon game is tied to the real-life time set on the game system (please get rid of this and keep the new time system in L:A in all future games thank you very much), I think the concept is still great.

In addition to that, I like how some areas completely change with the season in the Unova games. One of the most notable examples is Twist Mountain. Going through it during the Winter is very different compared to the other seasons.

In Gen 1-4, the games would constantly beep when one of your Pokémon was at low health in battles. This was pretty annoying. In Gen 5, the music changed completely when one Pokémon was at low health. I think this was a neat idea, but it ended up being annoying most of the time, especially during battles with awesome music. But Gen 6-8 finally got it right. When a Pokémon gets at low health, the game beeps a few times, then stops. I’m really glad they made this change because it is way less annoying and more bearable.

In Gen 6, most/all cries for the older Pokémon were changed or reworked. While most of the cries got worse, I think some were actually changed for the better. Some Pokémon had pretty “sharp” cries in past generations, I think those became much better in Gen 6 and on. Some of the most notable examples are Persian, Jynx and Swanna.

Next, some things I noticed during my current playthrough of Black 2. In the Driftveil Gym, some of the platforms have an elevator which you can use to get a small overview of the surrounding area. I’m not sure if I ever noticed this during my initial playthroughs of B2/W2. If I did, then I have completely forgotten about it. It has been almost 10 years after all. Another thing is this: according to Bulbapedia, you can still battle the regular trainers in the Driftveil Gym even after beating Clay. If this is true, then that’s really unique since it isn’t possibly in any other Gym in the series (as far as I know). In the past, I used to find the Driftveil Gym annoying because of how large it is, I found it hard to navigate through it (and as I played through it now, I actually used an external map in order to not miss any trainers). But I can appreciate it a bit more now, it has a lot of interesting quirks and features. Though the Humilau Gym is still my favorite in B2/W2.

There's also a random thing I just noticed today. In the Celestial Tower in B2/W2, you can battle Psychic Sarah on floor 3. Before battle, she says “The wandering spirits are still commanding me.” In Gen 8, Wandering Spirit is the Ability for Galarian Yamask and Runerigus. What is Sarah’s first Pokémon? A Yamask! This is probably just a very big coincidence, but I thought it was really cool and definitely worth a mention.

One thing I really like about Pokémon is this: if there is an animal (or object) you don’t like in real life, you might still like Pokémon that are based on the thing in question. For instance, I don’t like dogs, but I like several dog-like Pokémon. My top favorites favorites are the Lillipup line, the Yamper line, and Hisuian Growlithe. They are just so cute!

Now to something different. I will be going on a semi-hiatus from the forums because I want to avoid any more spoilers for ScaVio. Sad as it is, the fandom does not give my any other choice. Being active on Pokémon sites/forums and trying to avoid spoilers at the same time is practically impossible, I know that all too well from past experiences. But at the same time, taking a break from the forums can be nice and relaxing, it will allow me to focus on other things instead. Unfortunately, the forums often end up stealing far too much of my time. I am not going on a complete hiatus this time, but my activity will be very limited. I will continue on my Battle Facility project and post about it whenever I have something new to report (got a new post in the works right now, it will hopefully be done next week). And as I have promised, I will make a post in the B2/W2 in-game tier thread once I finish my current run on Black 2. I’ll also continue following green_typhlosion’s Défi des fleurs françaises, assuming it is still ongoing? I sure hope so because it has been fun to follow it so far. Other than that, don’t expect to see me around. Take care, have fun, and I’ll see you on the other side of Gen 9!

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I like how in some games, the NPCs in certain areas change their behavior depending on the current time, or how there sometimes are more NPCs in some areas during certain times. Be it the time of day, the day of the week, or even the current season. I think some very notable examples can be found in the Unova games:
- In Lacunosa Town, all the NPCs go inside during the night
- In Anville Town, there are many more NPCs during the weekends
- In Undella Town, there are many more NPCs during Summer months
BW did so many cool things like that. I really miss the season mechanic, possibly the most of all the features they've removed.

In Gen 6, most/all cries for the older Pokémon were changed or reworked. While most of the cries got worse, I think some were actually changed for the better. Some Pokémon had pretty “sharp” cries in past generations, I think those became much better in Gen 6 and on. Some of the most notable examples are Persian, Jynx and Swanna.
I can't think of many that IMO got better. One I especially dislike is Raichu's; the old cry was strong but the new one is a tiny little squeak. You've got me curious now as to which cries improved... I'll have to think about that one.

Though the Humilau Gym is still my favorite in B2/W2.
Same!

One thing I really like about Pokémon is this: if there is an animal (or object) you don’t like in real life, you might still like Pokémon that are based on the thing in question. For instance, I don’t like dogs, but I like several dog-like Pokémon. My top favorites favorites are the Lillipup line, the Yamper line, and Hisuian Growlithe. They are just so cute!
It also goes the other way, I love cats and yet hardly any of the cat Pokemon are favourites of mine, and in fact I actively dislike a couple.

Now to something different. I will be going on a semi-hiatus from the forums because I want to avoid any more spoilers for ScaVio. Sad as it is, the fandom does not give my any other choice. Being active on Pokémon sites/forums and trying to avoid spoilers at the same time is practically impossible, I know that all too well from past experiences. But at the same time, taking a break from the forums can be nice and relaxing, it will allow me to focus on other things instead. Unfortunately, the forums often end up stealing far too much of my time. I am not going on a complete hiatus this time, but my activity will be very limited. I will continue on my Battle Facility project and post about it whenever I have something new to report (got a new post in the works right now, it will hopefully be done next week). And as I have promised, I will make a post in the B2/W2 in-game tier thread once I finish my current run on Black 2. I’ll also continue following green_typhlosion’s Défi des fleurs françaises, assuming it is still ongoing? I sure hope so because it has been fun to follow it so far. Other than that, don’t expect to see me around. Take care, have fun, and I’ll see you on the other side of Gen 9!
That's a shame! But valid reasons, hopefully you don't get spoilered.

Yes, I'll be finishing the X challenge - I'll try to wrap it up in the next couple of weeks, should only take a couple more instalments (I'm not subjecting myself to the postgame).

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you play through the main story of Pokémon Conquest without any warriors obtaining new Pokémon, the tutorial for how to obtain Pokémon will use Arceus for the demonstration.

I made a joke about it

[03:58:00] #Ransei: "How to link with Pokémon"
[03:58:23] #Ransei: "Okay the Pokémon you will be linking with in this tutorial session is Arceus"
[03:59:05] Swa゠Gn: In this tutorial, you will form a link with GOD

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
If you play through the main story of Pokémon Conquest without any warriors obtaining new Pokémon, the tutorial for how to obtain Pokémon will use Arceus for the demonstration.

I made a joke about it

[03:58:00] #Ransei: "How to link with Pokémon"
[03:58:23] #Ransei: "Okay the Pokémon you will be linking with in this tutorial session is Arceus"
[03:59:05] Swa゠Gn: In this tutorial, you will form a link with GOD
Arceus: “Horrirfying eventh draws upon thee. Let me guide thee on how to befriendth Pokémon and form a Link, to hopefully prepareth yourselves to the greath war.”

There's an event in Japan for past Pokemon movies. Among the Pokemon is Latias from Pokemon Heroes.
View attachment 447976
Note Dive being present alongside the event exclusive Sweet Kiss and Bashful nature. I like to believe Sweet Kiss was chosen instead of Lovely Kiss because...
1. It causes confusion.
2. Lovely Kiss Latias sounds nightmarish.
To add on to what KalosianPorygon said, The Japanese name of Lovely Kiss is Demon's Kiss, hence why it summon a little demon thing in the Gen II animation as opposed to Sweet Kiss and its angel. Also why the rather freaky looking Jynx is the only Pokemon that can learn it outside of some obscure Gen II events(Even then, it was on weird stuff like Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Poliwrath, Politoed, Victreebel, Snorlax and Granbull)

I don't get why they suddenly stopped making demos afterwards.

Legends would have made good use of a demo considering how bad--er, risky of an idea it is.
The SM Demo led to the entire Pokedex leaking as soon as it dropped because (IIRC) they forgot to remove the Shiny Sprites from the code. They probably decided it was too risky and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again, so they stopped making demos.

The SM Demo led to the entire Pokedex leaking as soon as it dropped because (IIRC) they forgot to remove the Shiny Sprites from the code. They probably decided it was too risky and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again, so they stopped making demos.
It was the Pokedex sprites, not the shiny sprites, but you mostly got it.
They actually did a pretty good scrub job otherwise, so bit of a big oopsie

Here's a little thing I like in DPPt that I wish was continued in other games: Dr. Footstep.

Specifically I like how he tailors his quotes to how your Pokémon is classified: Cute, Tough, Scary, Slow, or Voiceless.

I like this because not only did he track happiness but he did so in a rather clever way by giving me a glimpse into the minds of the developers from a design perspective.

Ex: I think of Sandslash as Tough but the developers think it's more Cute. Can't really disagree. I think of Roserade as Cute though but the developers see it more as Tough. I thought Victreebel might be Scary but the developers see it as Slow. I thought Gastrodon might be Slow though but the developers see it as Scary. I actually didn't think Venomoth would be Voiceless if something like Mothim isn't, until I saw this.

Anyway, determining the overall "vibe" of a Pokémon's design is an interesting endeavor to me that I don't think has been explored as well as Dr. Footstep did.

Ex: I think of Sandslash as Tough but the developers think it's more Cute. Can't really disagree. I think of Roserade as Cute though but the developers see it more as Tough. I thought Victreebel might be Scary but the developers see it as Slow. I thought Gastrodon might be Slow though but the developers see it as Scary. I actually didn't think Venomoth would be Voiceless if something like Mothim isn't, until I saw this.

Anyway, determining the overall "vibe" of a Pokémon's design is an interesting endeavor to me that I don't think has been explored as well as Dr. Footstep did.
For an NPC most people would talk with for a Ribbon, Dr. Footstep is based.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Leavanny's Pokedex entries talk about making clothing from leaves for small Pokemon and to make warm wrappings for Sewaddle which is pretty "aww" worthy.
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 4.50.04 PM.png

Speaking of Pokedex entries, Sewaddle's Black entry says: "Leavanny dress it in clothes they made for it when it hatched. It hides its head in its hood while it is sleeping." Sewaddle in a grass hoodie is also pretty cute.
This happens in the anime, BW018 "Sewaddle and Burgh in Pinwheel Forest!". Ash & co. are travelling through Pinwheel Forest where they encounter a rowdy Sewaddle that Ash decides he wants to capture. Shenanigans happen, Ash & co. get lost, but they luck out and end up meeting Burgh who is trying to connect with the Bug Pokemon in the forest. Sewaddle reappears (by dropping down and kicking Ash) and climbs on Burgh's shoulder. Burgh explains the way to bond with a Sewaddle which Ash tries but gets attacked. Next day Ash & co. follow Sewaddle around seeing how its forest life is like and that night, having warmed up to Ash, Sewaddle decides to sleep with him in his sleeping bag. Next day Sewaddle is missing, they discover it was taken by some Patrat because one of their friends is sick and Sewaddle's leafs have healing properties. Sewaddle escapes but gets stuck on a Deerling which panics and starts running around. Burgh heals the sick Patrat, just then Deerling and Sewaddle appear and Sewaddle breaks loose but falls into a river heading toward a waterfall. Ash dives in to save Sewaddle & Burgh sends out Leavanny to pull them out. Sewaddle's hood has been damaged but Burgh's Leavanny whips it up a new one. All's well that ends well and Sewaddle lets Ash capture it.

I was able to find the scene on Youtube where Leavanny makes Sewaddle a new hood, unfortunately its in a AMV (linking to someone's Blog) so audio been replaced by generic electronic music. Since it's an AMV I'll just leave a link for it instead of posting the video here.

Also when Ash's Sewaddle fully evolves into a Leavanny the first thing it does is make leaf hoods for Ash & co.'s other Pokemon. I did find a clip of that:

i was hoping humans could have cool appendages like horns or long noses while still being regular humans otherwise. i'm not saying fantastical races per se but was wondering if they could superficially resemble pokemon without being them, clothes notwithstanding.
When it comes to the human characters Pokemon tends to be down-to-earth with them. "Fantastical" elements with characters comes from clothing, hair, and makeup. This is especially true with the player character who is a blank slate your meant to dress up as close to "you" as possible, they are your avatar. Like the craziest thing we got with the player in terms of aesthetic is some of the special clothing options and letting us change our eye color to pretty much any basic color (sadly hair color they keep to natural colors for some reason, even though in the Pokemon world people are born with green, blue, and purple hair). I also don't recall us ever having "Pokemon costume parts", customization is really limited in Pokemon sadly.

And if you're hoping that would change in SV, think again. It's confirmed all clothes will be a school uniform (at least have the school uniform showing underneath it) so I hope you weren't planning on making your character not look like a nerd (this is a joke BTW).

That all said, could be neat giving the player some Pokemon costumes pieces. Maybe let the player where wings of certain Pokemon, have a helmet resembling a Pokemon with a horn of some other head adornment, pants/belt that gives you a tail, gloves and boots, etc.. Maybe give you a Tokusatsu superhero (Super Sentai/Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, etc.) costume based on Pokemon. Would it completely rob any seriousness from a cutscene? Yes. But were you taking the cutscenes seriously in Pokemon? Probably not, not with GF's current storytelling (a good storyteller would also write in a reason for the player to be in "normal" clothes for those cutscenes cause you can't trust the players).

My example would be Marnie's hairdo resembling Grimmsnarl's ear and hair bangs.
Anyone remember Pokemon Gijinka? (If you need an explanation on how to view the images: first click the number range on the left side (its the national dex numbers), you'll then go to a page that'll have the individual Pokemon listed on the right, just click a number and see the Gijinka; these are the first Pokemon Gijinka I remember seeing, though if you type in "Pokemon Gijinka" in a search engine now you'll get plenty of examples).

It was the Pokedex sprites, not the shiny sprites, but you mostly got it.
They actually did a pretty good scrub job otherwise, so bit of a big oopsie
Yeah, sadly GF will probably not make any more demos because of that. For GF to do it now is that ahead of time they would need to want to make a demo so that they could put aside a template of the game that's essentially empty of all features but has the basics mechanics and any additional mechanics they'd want. From there they'd just put in the features they'd want to show off, the locations, characters, event flags, scripts, rewards to send to the main game, etc.. Heck, maybe do a Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes thing where the demo is technically a prelude (minus the charging us to play it).

Here's a little thing I like in DPPt that I wish was continued in other games: Dr. Footstep.
It'd be nice if that glimpse into the minds of the developers didn't involve a guy obsessed with Pokemon feet.
As KalosianPorygon said, they pretty much went with the theme of footsteps cause they wanted to be connected to a unique ribbon (and they chose the theme probably for the reason Lemingue stated... and also because since Gen II they've been giving every Pokemon a footprint and they want you to appreciate it dammit!). They could very easily switch it to a Psychic or Fortune Teller character who reads the mind of your Pokemon and tells you what they're thinking (based on level of Friendship, Nature, and maybe some additional factors).

NEW LTYLAP:
So of the Youtube channels I keep an eye on, once in a while I'll check in on one cooking one called "Babish Culinary Universe" (it used to be call "Cooking with Babish" though they then expanded and got a few more chefs to diversify what they make). Originally the idea behind it was Babish would make food that are shown in video games, cartoons, movies, anime, etc.; usually trying to best recreate what is shown though if the results don't come out well he tries to improve it. After expanding Babish videos are focused on making normal dishes and occasionally doing something from movies. It's one of the new chefs he brought in, Alvin, who's now mostly in charge of the pop culture foods, usually from an anime. So, with that said you probably know what this is about, Alvin made a Pokemon-based dish (early this month in fact)!
... Okay, granted, he pretty much just made cream puffs and just used the Poke Puffs flavor for ideas of what flavors they'll be. But hey, still made me hungry, lol!

NEW LTYLAP:
So of the Youtube channels I keep an eye on, once in a while I'll check in on one cooking one called "Babish Culinary Universe" (it used to be call "Cooking with Babish" though they then expanded and got a few more chefs to diversify what they make). Originally the idea behind it was Babish would make food that are shown in video games, cartoons, movies, anime, etc.; usually trying to best recreate what is shown though if the results don't come out well he tries to improve it. After expanding Babish videos are focused on making normal dishes and occasionally doing something from movies. It's one of the new chefs he brought in, Alvin, who's now mostly in charge of the pop culture foods, usually from an anime. So, with that said you probably know what this is about, Alvin made a Pokemon-based dish (early this month in fact)!
... Okay, granted, he pretty much just made cream puffs and just used the Poke Puffs flavor for ideas of what flavors they'll be. But hey, still made me hungry, lol!
One of my favorite April Fools' gags was back during the Babish/Andy early videos, in which he made Jelly Donuts to look like Rice Balls as a Pokemon tribute, a day before posting an actual Onigiri video after.

Regarding this, I thought about it and realized it wouldn't be a good idea for the most part. The only way I could see it working is if the player is still a regular human, while these fantastical stuffs only belong to certain characters. This could include plot point characters, some Gym Leaders, Elite Four, etc., even if the big bad is also a human. I didn't say they had to be common. They could work better on clothing as well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Regarding this, I thought about it and realized it wouldn't be a good idea for the most part. The only way I could see it working is if the player is still a regular human, while these fantastical stuffs only belong to certain characters. This could include plot point characters, some Gym Leaders, Elite Four, etc., even if the big bad is also a human. I didn't say they had to be common. They could work better on clothing as well.
Thinking about it, we actually did have human characters with a unique appearance that was something biological:

The Ultra Recon Squad, and likely all the other people from the Ultra Megalopolis dimension. Due to Necrozma having eaten all the light in their home dimension probably hundreds if not thousands of years ago, their bodies undergone a change which fits that of an organism living in darkness. With no light to burn their skin they lost most if not all their skin pigmentation turning their skin color a pale gray-blue. To see better in the dark their eyes grew tapetum lucidum making them reflective and seemingly glow/luminescent. Their hair color, while at first seemingly as technicolor as any other anime character, sort of has a fluorescence to them; and considering how their eyes may have changed, they may be seeing different color hair than we're seeing. Like Soliera and Phyco to us look to have violet hair, but considering violet is the shortest wavelength we can see, it could be the people of Ultra Megalopolis are able to see beyond ultraviolet and to them Soliera and Phyco have different hair colors.

Now they're still very much human in shape (though curious what a child of a person from the Pokemon World and Ultra Megalopolis would look like), but remember all Ultra Beasts also come from their own dimensions. Infact in two others we meet someone from there, though they seemingly are also "normal" looking. But that doesn't everyone does. Like maybe the people from the Ultra Deep Sea, in addition to developing in a semi-aquatic environment, have also grown horns/spikes on their heads in order to prevent Nihilego from attaching to the top of their heads. Ultra Jungle people may have grown scaly armor skin to protect them from high falls and prevent Buzzwole from jabbing them with its proboscis.

Of course that's assuming GF even wants those worlds to have people somewhere and have adapted to it. I highly doubt we'll get a game where we explore the Ultra Space additional dimensions in more detail; they just wanted cool backdrops for the Ultra Beasts pretty much. However it's pretty much the most way we'd would be getting a human character with any physical traits that isn't "human". This isn't the world of One Piece or My Hero Acadamia, humans are humans because its the Pokemon which get the wild designs.

i forgot about the ultra recon squad. i also remembered the draconids in hoenn and other ancient civilizations existed that created several unovan object pokemon such as golurk and sigilyph. people are able to be forcefully turned into pokemon like both yamask as well, which isn't too farfetch'd considering the practically nonexistent blur between humans and pokemon otherwise: either they're human or pokemon.

speaking of which, it seems any group that could've died off was likely forcefully assimilated into the pokedex either as protection or imprisonment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)