@ Salac Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Natural Gift

Using Natural Gift to lure something isn't exactly creative, but Talon is one of the few legitimate users of the move and utilizes it well here. Scarf Tar is among the best checks to offensive Talon, resisting both of its STABs and KOing back with Stone Edge. However, Salac Berry grants Talon a one time 100 BP fighting move, allowing it to easily KO Tar after a SD. Even without a SD, Talonflame has a 87.5% chance to KO Tar after SR, which can be useful in situations where boosting isn't feasible. The fact that Talon is also faster than Scarf Tar is very helpful as well.

Outside of Tar, this set maintains use by luring Heatran too. Many teams rely on these two Pokemon to deal with numerous threats, and Talon's ability to lure them can give free reign to teammates like Latios, Serperior, and so on. Similarly, because many teams rely on Tar and Heatran to deal with Talon, the bird can potentially sweep clean after luring them. Although missing out on Roost is a shame, Talon still remains an effective sweeper regardless.

Overall, this variant of Talon is a very effective lure to Scarf Tar. The bird has some very specific checks and counters, and because Talon rarely uses Natural Gift, many of them often fall for the surprise. Although it's inferior to Salac Berry in this case, Liechi Berry can also be used here. This has a 81.3% to kill Scarf Tar after a SD with SR up, while luring the likes of Rotom-W too. The choice of item depends on the needs of your team, but demonstrates how Talon can be adapted to take down some of its usual answers.

Last edited:

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 180-216 (52.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar thinks it can just come in on mega manectric pretty freely a lot of times and because of sand, it won't be taking too much damage from the SpDef increase. However HP-Fighting Mega Manectric lures in scarf tyranitars and easily 2HKO's them even in the sand. While it is sacrificing HP-Ice, mega manectric is still very effective against offense with this set.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Flamethrower
- Volt Switch

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 180-216 (52.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar thinks it can just come in on mega manectric pretty freely a lot of times and because of sand, it won't be taking too much damage from the SpDef increase. However HP-Fighting Mega Manectric lures in scarf tyranitars and easily 2HKO's them even in the sand. While it is sacrificing HP-Ice, mega manectric is still very effective against offense with this set.
Why would I sacrifice HP Ice (and, consequentially, the ability to not be complete bait for every single ground in the game) for the sake of 2HKOing something which I can achieve a similar goal against by simply clicking Volt Switch?

Why would I sacrifice HP Ice (and, consequentially, the ability to not be complete bait for every single ground in the game) for the sake of 2HKOing something which I can achieve a similar goal against by simply clicking Volt Switch?
Why would I sacrifice Sucker Punch on bisharp for Rock Polish, why would I want to sacrifice a mega slot by running EQ mega latios, why would I sacrifice Raikou's speed tier to run Aura Sphere? Obviously, all of these have severe drawbacks to using a set to lure Tyranitar. The answer of course is to LURE them. There are many mons in the tier that can wall every ground type in the game. I just posted a LURE that I thought might work in a game. If you don't want to use it fine, but please don't criticize my post that I posted as the title states to LURE Scarf Tyranitar. It might be a bad lure but in the end, it is still a LURE. Thank you for that inconsiderate response.
Also volt switch still means you take pursuit damage. So if they come in on mega manectric after a pokemon has fainted, HP fighting is obviously very useful.

1. i wouldnt even consider RP Bisharp a lure because tyranitar can just switch out lol.
2. Boltbeam couverage is like the only reason to run MegaMane. It gets walled hard by chomp/lando/gliscor and the first ones are super-super-popular. And HP fighting doesnt even ohko so ttar can just switch out ( into garchomp e.g. :^).
3. specs raikou's speedtier isnt even very important, it gets walled by the most other things in its speedtier anyways. Its still fast enough to outspeed maxspeed 100's.
Only 2 things are annoying (1. cant revenge kill latis 2. cant outspeed gengar )

1. i wouldnt even consider RP Bisharp a lure because tyranitar can just switch out lol.
2. Boltbeam couverage is like the only reason to run MegaMane. It gets walled hard by chomp/lando/gliscor and the first ones are super-super-popular. And HP fighting doesnt even ohko so ttar can just switch out ( into garchomp e.g. :^).
3. specs raikou's speedtier isnt even very important, it gets walled by the most other things in its speedtier anyways. Its still fast enough to outspeed maxspeed 100's.
Only 2 things are annoying (1. cant revenge kill latis 2. cant outspeed gengar )
Yeah it sure is walled by Starmie. mhm. You also said that only 2 things are annoying. What about losing the ability to effectively revenge kill thundurus? or mega diancie? or mega metagross? or Garchomp?

it cant outspeed starmie anyways, best thing u can get is a speedtie. and since u have always have to assume the worst conditions while teambuilding this isnt a huge deal.

thundi cant deal huge damage to raikou regardless.

M diancie is a problem, yeah.

Specs Raikou doesnt ohko m meta, rash natured raikou has a chance to kill it with SR up.

most garchomps are bulky so it's kinda whatever. and full speed chomp has to attack. u wont play this raikou without a teammate that appreciates a removed ttar, for example Latios. So u can still play 50/50s with it.

That u lose ur speed isnt cool ofc but raikou has a complete different role with that set. its more a balance breaker like this ( 2hko'ing hippos/ferros ).
M Mane on the other side remains as the same offense breaker with worse couverage.

sergey

Banned deucer.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

pretty basic, gives up the ability to ohko heatran for the ability to ohko scarftar, not much to say except that if youre concerned about giving up on earth power making you more rotom weak, both fb and earth power 2hko rotom regardless

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why would I sacrifice Sucker Punch on bisharp for Rock Polish, why would I want to sacrifice a mega slot by running EQ mega latios, why would I sacrifice Raikou's speed tier to run Aura Sphere? Obviously, all of these have severe drawbacks to using a set to lure Tyranitar. The answer of course is to LURE them. There are many mons in the tier that can wall every ground type in the game. I just posted a LURE that I thought might work in a game. If you don't want to use it fine, but please don't criticize my post that I posted as the title states to LURE Scarf Tyranitar. It might be a bad lure but in the end, it is still a LURE. Thank you for that inconsiderate response.
Also volt switch still means you take pursuit damage. So if they come in on mega manectric after a pokemon has fainted, HP fighting is obviously very useful.
The point of the thread is to post effective lures though. I get its unreasonable to expect that there will be no drop in effectiveness and it is part of why lure sets are non-standard (and, just to clear thing up in case you think I was targetting you in particular, yours isn't the only example here (RP Bisharp and Mega Latios are just straight up bad whereas Aura Sphere Rai is just a worse FBlast Thundurus when matched up v.s. any team without a Tar, for example), it was just the one closest to the bottom when I replied), but part of the deal with a lure is that the drop in effectiveness needs to be small enough to not sacrifice the Pokémon's ability to function consistently. By sacrificing the ability to beat the two most common Ground-types in the game, it has sacrificed its ability to fulfil its primary role as a pivot without really gaining anything from it barring a scenario which it shouldn't really be put into on a regular basis (as it should typically Volt Switch as it comes onto the field to gain momentum in the Tar switch-in).

SD+NG Talon is an example of a good lure because it is still an effective sweeper without Roost, meaning it isn't sacrificing the ability to consistently fulfill its role by carrying a lure move. This contrasts with Mane as the latter loses the ability to actually function as an effective pivot v.s. any team with almost any Ground-type.

Anyway this thread is getting cluttered with this so I won't make any more posts on this topic. Feel free to bring it over to a PM with me or whatever but I don't wanna leave this thread really cluttered.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Dragon Dance

haven't used this is much, but the times i did, gotta say this is a hot tyranitar lure because not only does it get the guaranteed ohko on scarf tyranitar unlike earthquake's 25% chance, but it hits balloon heatran. it also hit phys def tyranitar for a garunteed ohko even though that isn't the 'mon we are discussing. stabs are obvious. 3 attacks charizard is very powerful in general, even though the lack of roost makes teammates more important. 100% credit goes to user AM so you can say AM's brick break mega charizard x instead of vertex's brick break mega charizard x.

also, hp fighting manectric is ass lol. no offense

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast

Ttar is pretty hard to effectively lure since it's scarf, won't want to switch into much without getting crippled (eg wisp talon). It mostly checks things instead of counter (Besides latis and no, hp fighting specs latis are weird). So might as well get into a situation where you don't reveal life orb, then catch it with focus blast. Or just let scarf tar in after a volturn kill/double kill 1v1 thinking it can check and Dbond/Focus blast (if in range, think it might even 1hko scarf ttar on a roll). Sucks having no room for trick though. But still a viable set.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Voting starts now and will end in 48 hours!

Life Orb Drain Punch + Icy Wind Jirachi
Focus Blast Victini
Will O Wisp + Bulk Up Talonflame
U-turn Mega Pidgeot
Colbur Berry Focus Blast Reuniclus
Earthquake Mega Charizard X
Earthquake Mega Latios
Colbur Berry + Earthquake Latios
Rock Polish Bisharp
Choice Specs + Aura Sphere Raikou
Nasty Plot + Vacuum Wave Mew
Nasty Plot + Aura Sphere Togekiss
SD + Natural Gift Fighting Talonflame
HP Fighting Mega Manectric
Focus Blast Kyurem-Black
Brick Break Mega Charizard X
Choice Scarf Gengar

Martin

Torn between Brick Break Zard-X and NG Talonflame, but I've gotta go with this:
Brick Break Megazard-X

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)