if I have zero competitive experience will I get slaughtered in this tournament?
Well as long as you know the rules of MTG, I don't think so; it is very easy to find decklists online. Plus, I'll make sure you're in my group so that I get the auto-winif I have zero competitive experience will I get slaughtered in this tournament?
Ugh, indeed. "Oh hello there, I'm a 13/13 trampler that starts off as a 0/3 creature that requires a 12 mana investment (including original CMC) to become somewhat of a threat. Won't you please Go for the Throat (or Incinerate/Oblivion Ring/bounce) me?"I don't understand people's indignation over the Transform mechanic. It is a little convoluted, but, honestly, what serious Magic player doesn't already use card sleeves?
Besides, the flip-cards looked like ass.
Hello Magic the Gathering friends. Welcome to the first ever Magic the Gathering Tournament on Smogon.
In order to play in this tournament, you need to have Cockarice downloaded and working before the tournament starts. You can find details and instructions on their website: http://cockatrice.de/
You can also ask one of the members in #mtg for helping setting up
This will be a Modern tournament. The banlist, blocks and other misc item can be found at the official Wizard of the Coasts website http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrmodern
The tournament rules are directly ripped from the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament (Atticus is a boss and let me, so thanks to him)
1. All players must carefully familiarize themselves with the latest rulebook and follow the rules carefully.
2. If there is a dispute in terms of rulings, refer to the Magic Wiki or ask a knowledgable person on our IRC channel #mtg.
3. Game discussion will be held on #mtg on irc.synirc.net. This can also be used to schedule matches and find some help for your deck! I can't stress this chat enough, there's almost always someone on and I encourage you to use it for anything MTG related
4. You DO NOT have to use the same deck throughout the entire tournament but you CANNOT change your deck during the same round.
5. The tournament is played in two parts: the first part of the tournament will be a Swiss round. The 8 players will be divided into groups of 4. Each player will play all 3 other players in a best of 3. The 2 players with the best records from each group will move onto the round of 4. The #1 seed from group one will then play the #2 from group two and vice versa. The proceeding rounds will be best of 3 as well.
6. No player may reveal the contents of their opponent's deck.
7. Each player may use a 15 card Side Deck.
8. Creativity is encouraged, although not mandatory.
9. It is advised that players compete whilst sober. Nobody wants to duel a drunk Hobo Joe.
10. - All matches will be played on Cockatrice in best 2 out of 3 match format. NO exceptions.
The current signup list is as follows:
Well the program will tell the opponent if a deck change has been made. Its pretty easy to see, but honestly, lets got by the honor code here and just assume that you are using the same deck.Unless Cockatrice has means of identifying each deck with a code or otherwise, like Magic Workstation does, rule 4 is largely irrelevant.
Yep I've decided to just have open signups because we want to attract more people like you. So soon look in the Circus Maximus thread in the forum below this one. I'll also post a announcement once that thread goes up.Hey, I'm new to the forums, and my builds are being unnoticed in the Minecraft thread. And then I saw this MTG thread and I squee'd.
And Cockatrice... is that a free way to play MTG? Because if so, where has it been all my life?
I'll definitely be joining your next tourny if you'll let me, guys. I used to have a lot of fun playing MTG at this anime shop. But recently I haven't had time or money to go.