Magic: The Gathering

As if Garruk was the only reason they opted away from flip cards. There was a whole article on it the other day with reasons ranging from the unpopularity of kamigawa flip cards to the text box being cluttered to the issue of also having rules text on flipping back. To be honest, I would have preferred the ravnica split cards over the kamigawa flip cards.

I like the double faced cards anyway. Again, this is all just knee-jerk butthurt (the same butthurt accompanying EVERY new mechanic that is released).

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
if I have zero competitive experience will I get slaughtered in this tournament?
Well as long as you know the rules of MTG, I don't think so; it is very easy to find decklists online. Plus, I'll make sure you're in my group so that I get the auto-win

So far we have 7 people signed up. Lets get 1 more or 5 more. With 5 we can have the #1 seeds get a bye in the opening round while the number 2 and 3 seeds play each other. Then next round the #1 seeds play the winners.

I don't understand people's indignation over the Transform mechanic. It is a little convoluted, but, honestly, what serious Magic player doesn't already use card sleeves?

Besides, the flip-cards looked like ass.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't understand people's indignation over the Transform mechanic. It is a little convoluted, but, honestly, what serious Magic player doesn't already use card sleeves?

Besides, the flip-cards looked like ass.
Ugh, indeed. "Oh hello there, I'm a 13/13 trampler that starts off as a 0/3 creature that requires a 12 mana investment (including original CMC) to become somewhat of a threat. Won't you please Go for the Throat (or Incinerate/Oblivion Ring/bounce) me?"

Hopefully they have something up their sleeves for these cards because otherwise I do not see this mechanic making a big splash on the metagame, outside of EDH/kitchen table hijinks.

That's what all Level Up/Flip/Transform cards scream.

In my previous post I was speaking more asthetically. Flip cards were a hot mess to read/look at.

matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright so we have our 8 competitors, I have premission from Billy to submit rules for the tournament.

We will be doing a Swiss round. 4 players to each group. Top 2 from each group move on. I will randomize the groups later tonight. This is a Modern tournament.

Here are the official rules from Wizard if you are unsure: CLICK ME

If you guys have any more input before I post the thread in Circus Maximus let me know. I'm excited to get this rolling :D

did you count me as signing up or not?

i'd like to play but if you already set up groups or whatever that's fine

matty

Well so I just decided that we will just have signups so that this gets more exposure (after talking with Atticus who runs the Yu-Gi-Oh tourneys, he tells me that with signups theres a greater likelihood of more signups). I have all the rules written out and I'll post them below so that you all can look over them

Hello Magic the Gathering friends. Welcome to the first ever Magic the Gathering Tournament on Smogon.
In order to play in this tournament, you need to have Cockarice downloaded and working before the tournament starts. You can find details and instructions on their website: http://cockatrice.de/

You can also ask one of the members in #mtg for helping setting up

This will be a Modern tournament. The banlist, blocks and other misc item can be found at the official Wizard of the Coasts website http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrmodern

The tournament rules are directly ripped from the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament (Atticus is a boss and let me, so thanks to him)

Tournament Rules:
1. All players must carefully familiarize themselves with the latest rulebook and follow the rules carefully.
2. If there is a dispute in terms of rulings, refer to the Magic Wiki or ask a knowledgable person on our IRC channel #mtg.
3. Game discussion will be held on #mtg on irc.synirc.net. This can also be used to schedule matches and find some help for your deck! I can't stress this chat enough, there's almost always someone on and I encourage you to use it for anything MTG related
4. You DO NOT have to use the same deck throughout the entire tournament but you CANNOT change your deck during the same round.
5. The tournament is played in two parts: the first part of the tournament will be a Swiss round. The 8 players will be divided into groups of 4. Each player will play all 3 other players in a best of 3. The 2 players with the best records from each group will move onto the round of 4. The #1 seed from group one will then play the #2 from group two and vice versa. The proceeding rounds will be best of 3 as well.
6. No player may reveal the contents of their opponent's deck.
7. Each player may use a 15 card Side Deck.
8. Creativity is encouraged, although not mandatory.
9. It is advised that players compete whilst sober. Nobody wants to duel a drunk Hobo Joe.
10. - All matches will be played on Cockatrice in best 2 out of 3 match format. NO exceptions.

The current signup list is as follows:

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Rules sound good to me for the most part, I just don't like the bit about being able to change decks between Swiss rounds.Maybe you should emphasize a bit on the sideboard: it's either 15 cards or none at all. Most of us who have been playing for any period of time already know this but if this manages to attract curious people to the game it may eliminate some potential newbie questions.

Edit: If anyone would like to do any playtesting, just shoot me a message.

matty

9 is firm, except for me who is constantly medded up. (Honestly I didn't even notice that hahaha)

I mean if I wanted to fix something in my deck or change the mechanics in the deck, I think I should have the option. But if we want to run this like a strict StarCityGames tournament where you stick with one deck, I guess that would be ok. Would need more input on this.

sticking with one deck is good imo. we'll have enough time to try out several beforehand anyway, so a decent selection isn't too much to ask.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I would say you can use whatever deck you want each round, you can't change between games.

Unless Cockatrice has means of identifying each deck with a code or otherwise, like Magic Workstation does, rule 4 is largely irrelevant.

Hey, I'm new to the forums, and my builds are being unnoticed in the Minecraft thread. And then I saw this MTG thread and I squee'd.

And Cockatrice... is that a free way to play MTG? Because if so, where has it been all my life?

I'll definitely be joining your next tourny if you'll let me, guys. I used to have a lot of fun playing MTG at this anime shop. But recently I haven't had time or money to go.

matty

Unless Cockatrice has means of identifying each deck with a code or otherwise, like Magic Workstation does, rule 4 is largely irrelevant.
Well the program will tell the opponent if a deck change has been made. Its pretty easy to see, but honestly, lets got by the honor code here and just assume that you are using the same deck.

Hey, I'm new to the forums, and my builds are being unnoticed in the Minecraft thread. And then I saw this MTG thread and I squee'd.

And Cockatrice... is that a free way to play MTG? Because if so, where has it been all my life?

I'll definitely be joining your next tourny if you'll let me, guys. I used to have a lot of fun playing MTG at this anime shop. But recently I haven't had time or money to go.
Yep I've decided to just have open signups because we want to attract more people like you. So soon look in the Circus Maximus thread in the forum below this one. I'll also post a announcement once that thread goes up.

So far it sounds like people want to stick to only one deck through the entire tournament. If other participants want to weigh in, do so, but do it soon because I'm going to post the signups in the next day or 2 before I leave for my vacation on Friday

Just to be clear, what are the rules on deckbuilding? I know no banned cards and whatnot, but are there any other rules than that?

EDIT: Oh, and how does the Cockatrice online thing work? I registered and made a couple decks and I logged into the cockatrice server but I can't figure out how to play against someone. And is there a server just for the Smogon tourney or something? Completely new to this >.>

you can have up to 4 copies of the same card (excluding basic lands), and that's basically it.

regarding cockatrice help, just come to #mtg and we'll help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)