Magic: The Gathering

I haven't played on cockatrice with the new cards yet, but I plan on making a "standard" (what will be standard when Inn. is officially out and zendikar cycles out) ramp deck focused on Kessig Wolf Run, Primeval Titan, and maybe Dungrove Elder as a buff target? I haven't really thought too much about it, so if you have any suggestions they would be appreciated. I want to make Kessig Wolf Run work.

I have a few modifications to some of my EDH decks based on the new cards, so I'll have to work on that.

Prerelease was a bomb and I placed really well in all the events I entered. Anyone else have a good experience with the prerelease?

In terms of limited (draft, sealed) or in terms of standard? I ask this because I have never had troubles with Werewolves in the former.

in terms of the format know as modern. U can pretty much splash the wolves nto a zoo deck and call it good. Since twelve post has been officially banned in the format.

the problem with that is that zoo loves to be playing as many creatures as it can, which is counterproductive with werewolves. you could play manland werewolves instead though, that would be fun.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Resurrecting this thread to take a quick poll with you guys. After the success of our first Magic Tourney I'd like to do another. While Modern was fun to play, a majority of us play EDH so heres my proposal

2 Head Giant is an offshoot of EDH. Normal EDH decks are used but instead its team based. 2 v 2. Shared life, but everything else stays the same. Its a lot of fun, very strategic and communication with your partner is key. It also removes the FFA aspect so you don't have players killing other players because they feel like it. You play to win for your team.

Anyone interested in this for our next tourney?

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the idea of Team Trials (teams of 2).

Player 1 from Team X vs Player 1 from Team Y in Standard
Player 2 from Team X vs Player 2 from Team Y in Legacy
Players 1&2 from Team X vs Players 1&2 from Team Y in 2HG EDH.

What do you guys think?

matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do we have a large enough player base to support that? Its gonna be like only 2 teams lol

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm only thinking teams of 2. It requires the same amount of players as your idea. Each player will be playing twice, once in either legacy or standard and in tandem with the other player in 2HG EDH.

I'm not a fan of Ibo's idea because it's hard on entry level players who may not know all the formats, more-so than just the EDH 2HG idea, since it requires these same players to be familiar with and build decks for at least two distinctly different formats. I'm not against the idea, because I can see myself doing just fine and being able to brew up a few decks, but there are a few players here that I can imagine don't know formats beyond kitchen table magic.

EDH seems popular enough in #mtg to warrant a tournament. It's easier to teach people who are interested in entering the tournament since most of the channel plays it and it's easier to guide the newer players because you'll have a partner at your side the whole time opposed to being only with you half of the time (the other half you have to play standard or legacy).

If a lot of people want to play it, sure, I'd be interested too. My vote, however, goes for EDH 2HG.

The format I wanna see played personally. Is a block tournament (choose a block) and have people play it double elimination. Block formats are some of the most fun.

matty

I don't think any of us have ever played block constructed. I'm not sure if its a good idea trying to get people to learn a whole new metagame. But I think that if you found people on the forums or on IRC we'd be willing to try it

Oh also, I totally misread ibo's proposal (my fault man :evan:). I actually like that idea. Standard and legacy are fairly easy to pick up. I wouldn't mind trying this out (also since last time I wanted to do a legacy tournament anyway :D )

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Even though I haven't done much Magic-related lately besides random play Yuri once, including not signing up for whatever happened to the previous tourney, I think Block Constructed is a good idea. Not necessarily that format specifically but any unusual format as such that probably none of us have any great experience with.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Im very supportive of a block constructed tournament provided its a good block, zendikar is the only block off of the top of my head that I don't think would be fun to play.

zendikar block would be like uw control with stoneforge mystic+jace, allies and green eldrazi wouldn't it? innistrad block would be a tad limited, and scars is yawn tempered steel. shards or ravinca block might be fun? hell even shadowmoor would be worth playing except for that bitterblossom thing.

zendikar block would be like uw control with stoneforge mystic+jace, allies and green eldrazi wouldn't it? innistrad block would be a tad limited, and scars is yawn tempered steel. shards or ravinca block might be fun? hell even shadowmoor would be worth playing except for that bitterblossom thing.
No, stoneforge mystic is terrible in Zendikar block constructed. What are you going to fetch with it, TRUSTY MACHETE?!?!?! Jace is obviously very good, but he is best in the RUG shell that Michael Jacob/the Channel Fireball team made for PT San Juan (Zen Block Constructed/ROE/ROE/ROE Draft). Other good decks were Eldrazi Green, Vampires, and UW Control. I would prefer Ravnica, Time Spiral, or some older format for Block Constructed as opposed to Lorwyn (yawn faeries) and scars (yawn tempered steel).

Gonna second tad. If we do block constructed, I'd rather avoid both Lorwyn and scars. Zendikar isn't that bad, but there are several blocks I consider much more fun candidates for this. Ravnica would be my favorite, but I wouldn't mind trying things like Kamigawa block, Invasion Block, Ice Age block, etc.

Ravnica > all else.

Kamigawa was a fairly good block format, as I recall, although Critical Mass likely would have dominated eventually given time.

A full Ice Age block (with Coldsnap) would be really interesting, I think.

Kamigawa block format was retarded with the legendary rules that existed at the time, but if we played with the updated rules it would be better. Speaking of which, if we play a pre-m10 block constructed format, are we going to use the old damge rules or new ones? Certain cards are SIGNFICANTLY better with the old damage rules than they are now.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
Block seems fun, but I think we'll run into a tough time deciding which block to do. This is why I think we should do THIS. It seems like so much fun and it's sort of like block...

EDIT: Of course we would include post-Lorwyn sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)