Mamoswine

Mamoswine gaining Thick Fat and Icicle Drop is certainly an awesome bonus. The loss of Superpower for TF isn't much, and especially not one to give up TF for.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's worth noting that in the current metagame with Darkrai, Skymin, Deoxys and Nattorei on every team, Scarf Mamoswine is very anti-meta.

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Speed EVs make sure he outspeeds Timid non-scarfed Skymin.

A few calcs:

Ice Shard vs 0/0 Skymin: 98.5% - 116.1%
Icicle Spear (1 hit) vs 0/0 Skymin: 61% - 73.9%
Ice Shard vs 0/0 Deoxys-A: 84.6% - 99.6%
Superpower vs 0/0 Darkrai: 101.8% - 120.3%

Superpower vs 252/252+ Nattorei: 44.9% - 52.8%
+ Superpower (-1) vs 252/252+ Nattorei: 29.5% - 35.2%
= 74.4% - 88%

Earthquake vs 252/252+ Burungeru: 66.1% - 78.1%

Of course, once Skymin and Darkrai get banned it's probably wiser to use Stone Edge and Icicle Drop over Superpower and Icicle Spear...

Ooh, Icicle Spear sounds nice, but it would only have a guranteed chance to wreck the opponent if said target was 4x weak, and then you would just use Ice Shard.

Even without Thick Fat, wouldn't Natorrei OHKO Mamoswine with Power Whip after the defense drop and previous damage from Stealth Rock and Iron Barbs?

The only reason that Scarf set would be used is for Darkrai, who can be handled by Fighting types like Breloom or Roobushin. Choice Band handles the other threats much better. Two CB Earthquakes do more than two Scarf Superpowers to Natorrei, and don't acquire damage from Iron Barbs or a Defense drop. A CB Earthquake would kill Pringles in one shot.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine will be an event-only pokémon, and will come as a Mamoswine already.

So, unless they change the rules for it (male-only with level-up moves), Thick Fat Mamoswine cannot have Superpower, Stealth Rock, Curse, Icicle Spear, Icicle Drop nor Ice Shard. Yay?

Theres always the possibility that it is obtainable later on in the Dream World itself without an event as otherwise there isn't much point for Piloswine and Swinub to have DW abilities.

Mamoswine will be an event-only pokémon, and will come as a Mamoswine already.

So, unless they change the rules for it (male-only with level-up moves), Thick Fat Mamoswine cannot have Superpower, Stealth Rock, Curse, Icicle Spear, Icicle Drop nor Ice Shard. Yay?

wat.

That's pretty much Mamoswine's whole movepool right there besides EQ and SE. What else could he run? Ice Fang again?

It comes straight as a Mamoswine, so I'm guessing it's supposed to be Dawn's and will know its Anime moves.

^there is still some debate about that, actually. when I see the front shot of her mamoswine, the tusks look significantly short, a sign of a female mamoswine.
My money's on male though, the starters were male, the crogunk was male, so yeah.
If it was something to resemble the anime, though, it would have all of the exact moves, which would be
- ice shard
- hidden power
- ancient power
- take down
again, my money is still on male.
swinub to me seems to common of a pokemon to be only event-exclusive. they may permanently put it in the dream world eventually...

You people must have overlooked one thing: Mamoswine gets CURSE!

Remember the old DrugoDactyl set that was once posted on fourth-gen analisis of Aerodactyl? It used a white herb to cancel out the speed drop from Curse. I am now using a set in the Dream World tier like this:

Mamoswine @ White Herb
Ability: Thick Fat
40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly

-Earthquake
-Icicle Drop
-Ice Shard
-Curse

This set copes well with standard sandstorm teams leaving huge holes even when encountering Nattorei or Scizor. It anihilates bulky Togekiss, Jirachi, takes Ice Beams from Porygon-2, it can even eat a CB Bullet Punch to the face, live, hit the mantis with EQ and finish it off with an Ice Shard. It can Curse up more if neccesary. I am to lazy to run the calcs since I used this set extensively. Check this out, people.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh, that seems like it could work. However as the most frequent user of Mamoswine (at least it seems that way) I fell that the best Mamo set is:

Mamoswine@Leftovers
Adamant
Snow Cloak
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Ice Shard
Icicle Drop
Earthquake
Stone Edge

I`ve gone over this sets merits a ton before so I won`t say too much just that it is an excellent tech pokemon with its great bulk running max HP, it is an excellent Sand check taking out pretty much everything bar Reuniclus without much difficulty (unboosted Doryuuzu is KOed by Icicle Drop+Ice Shard something like 89% of the time factoring in accuracy) and is an excellent pokemon to remove most dragons. The only real letdown which I`ve been discovering recently is the inability to kill Hydreigon. I DON`t know if people have been running bulky versions or whatever but Hydreigon seems to take only around 35% on average while OHKOing with Flamethrower assuming LO or Specs.

I've been having a lot of success with the old focus sash endeavor stealth rock lead from generation 4. Having rocks up early game is still very nice, especially as rapid spin is getting less and less common. Immunity to weather damage means that it is pretty easy to keep the sash intact even if not used in the lead, and low hp endeavor+ice shard means my opponet will often have to sacrifice a pokemon to mamoswine due to him not fainting to weather. He also still has that awesome mid-game utility of being a good dragon/ geinie check and having the third strongest earthquake in the game.

Even a simple LO set is amazingly effective. The speed increase this gen might, ironically be a boon to mamo, as it lets it run Adamant without much worry. Honestly, this thing just rapes stall. Pure special Ferrothorn can be koed with 2 earthquakes. Skarmory is koed by 3 icicle drops. While that may sound bad, Icicle Drop as a 30% flinch chance, meaning that more often than not, you can get 2 Drops in a row without it roosting at least once. Both Jellicent and Swampert are also 2 hit koed by earthquake. Most other walls besides bulky waters take SE damage from Mamoswine.

Against offensive teams, Mamoswine is still useful. Ice Shard easily revenges stuff like Garchomp and Nite with miracle scale broken. Mamo is also never koed by any unboosed move by dory, and can ko with balloon variants with icicle drop+ice shard. He also completely wall head Thundurus, although NP sets have focus blast/hammer arm. If you can predict your opponent's switchin to mamo, you WILL be able to smack it hard.

Sadly, Mamo no longer has the 3rd strongest OU earthquake, he has the 4th. Dory has 5 more attack than him.

i've used this thing as a scarf user before and i loved it, its attack was still incredibly powerful and it could survive stuff like flamethrowers and that jazz under the sun to net a suprise ko

Replacing Stone Edge with Stealth Rock might be a good idea as Mamo forces a lot of switches and SE isn't really used for anything besides Gyarados
Poor Mamoswine is so underrated :(

a cb set with ice shard/icicle drop/earthquake/stone edge still seems to be mamo's best set as it can severely weaken enemy walls or kill weakened foes...i think it can 2hko special defensive skarmorys with icicle drop...if my calculations are right a cb icicle drop does 51,2-60,5% to careful max hp/max sp.def skarmory and 46,7-55,1% to impish max hp/max sp.def...

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While it is true that Stone Edge doesn`t get used much I find myself using it to hit switchins. Its a nice choice when you think your opp will switch in a genie or balloon heatran and you want to damage/kill it but also want to hit the poke in front of you. Its also nice to catch Chandelures off of a switching dragon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)