Pokémon Manectric

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP Ice most notably hits Ground types for SE damage, which HP Dragon does not, and also hits many Dragons for 4x damage (Dragon/Flying, Dragon/Ground). If your fourth move slot isn't going to be HP Ice or HP Grass, you might be better off with a different fourth move.

As for Roar, I am not sure that's a good idea. Manectric's greatest virtue is being a fast Volt Switch with Intimidate; if you make yourself go last with Roar, you're taking a free hit from whatever it is that is walling you (a Ground Type, most likely, if you're unable to just Volt Switch outta there). That means you're taking an Earthquake to the face; not a good idea.

I've been playing with MegaManectric lately in a semi-VoltTurn team. I use 4 pokemon with either U-turn or Volt Switch. It might be a bit tricky find a good turn to MegaEvolve Manectric because of his frailty though when you are able to it really can chance the match. The synergy between VoltTurn and Intimidate is brilliant. With the amount of physical threads I can outspeed and use VoltTurn and turn back in later for an Intimidate drop. His power is also decent for an unboosted 135 SpA.
Biggest problems are obviously Pokemon which outspeed him, usually being things like Genesect. Also Defog or Spin support is highly recommanded if you use MegaManectric since you will be switching quite often.

Is there much reason to run max speed on Mega Mane? Mega Gengar is already gone so the only base 130s left are Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Crobat, none of which, aside from maybe Jolteon, will be seeing much use in OU frankly. 96 HP/252 SpA/162 Spe is just enough to outspeed max speed Noivern and Greninja after mega evolving and up to max base 93s before mega evolving. Here's a list of all of the pokemon between base 93-base 105 that normal Manectric won't be able to outspeed anymore. The bolded ones are important because they typically run max speed sets and you won't be able to Volt Switch away from them right away on the mega evolving turn. The rest either don't run max speed or aren't worth thinking about all that much.

Gliscor
Haxorus - lol
Hydreigon
Volcarona - uses you as set up bait no matter what spread you run anyway
Salamence
Jirachi
Celebi
Ninetales
Tentacruel
Thundurus-T - eats your Volt Switch for breakfast no matter what spread you're running but is threatened by HP Ice
Garchomp - If it ever comes down to it, Jolly Chomp's Earthquake only has a 12.5% chance to OHKO after Intimidate with the extra HP EVs
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Medicham
All variants of Charizard
Mega Kangaskhan - Won't have to worry about her soon though
Mega Pinsir

You should definitely be running a Timid nature with this guy. 405 Speed is such a good number with all these new threats running around, such as Mega Gengar and Talonflame. Using a Modest nature sorta takes away the whole point of using him--outspeeding basically everything that doesn't have a Scarf. Anyway, I think Manectric has a pretty cool place in the soon-to-be XY OU, especially considering he's an offensive check to Talonflame. +1 Acrobatics does only ~35% after Manectric switches in (assuming it already got Intimidated), so most will want to switch out. This is where base 135 Volt Switches can really hurt.

I'm not really sure that HP Grass is the best choice for this set. I know the metagame is still new, but HP Ice has been really good to me. So many Pokemon can otherwise come in and wall Manectric, which stops its Volt Switching reign. HP Ice may not do anything to Goodra, but it lands OHKOs on Landorus-T, Gliscor, Dragonite after SR, and offensive Garchomp. I use HP Ice way too much to even consider replacing it.

Here's the set I'm using (ok well it's basically just standard...)

(M) @ Manectite
Trait: Lightningrod -> Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
For now, I'm using these Speed EVs (395 when Megavolved) because they allow it to outspeed up to Jolteon/Aerodactyl/Scarf Politoed/+1 Gyarados and retain a bit of bulk, even with HP Ice's 30 Spe IVs, but it may change in the future depending on how the metagame changes. The speed also brings it to 330 when it's not Megavolved, so it outspeeds +Spe base 100s like Jirachi. I have 4 Def EVs so Genesect gets a SAtk boost, simply because most of them will U-turn out anyway and I want it to be a -1 Atk U-turn. Overheat over Flamethrower because it OHKOs Excadrill and Ferrothorn. Other than that, the set is self-explanatory. I absolutely love Mega Manectric, and I've found a lot of success with it. It checks all those Talonflames plaguing OU and even lives a +3 Aegislash Shadow Sneak (assuming I switch in on a second Swords Dance). The most successful team I found it on was with a Calm Mind/Wish + Baton Pass Sylveon (Manectric takes those Steel attacks that threaten Sylveon, like Scizor's BPunch) and a CB Genesect to make a Volt-Turn core. It's swept a handful of teams at just +1 SAtk. Base 135 is truly amazing. Mega Manectric is definitely one of the more under-appreciated Mega Evolutions.

I can't make my own points
The only pokemon that it should be worried about not outspeeding is +1 Gyarados and maybe Scarf Politoed depending on if weather makes a comeback. Everything else either can't do much to it or used so little in OU that they aren't even worth outspeeding.

Mega Gengar: Banned
Talonflame: No one runs max speed on Talonflame.
Weavile: Dies to Flamethrower/Overheat
Swellow: Pfft.
Meloetta-P: When will you ever see this?
Jolteon: Cant 2HKO you with any move unless it's running Choice Specs.
Crobat: Irrelevant.
Aerodactyl: That's what Lando-T is for.

The only pokemon that it should be worried about not outspeeding is +1 Gyarados and maybe Scarf Politoed depending on if weather makes a comeback. Everything else either can't do much to it or used so little in OU that they aren't even worth outspeeding.

Mega Gengar: Banned
Talonflame: No one runs max speed on Talonflame.
Weavile: Dies to Flamethrower/Overheat
Swellow: Pfft.
Meloetta-P: When will you ever see this?
Jolteon: Cant 2HKO you with any move unless it's running Choice Specs.
Crobat: Irrelevant.
Aerodactyl: That's what Lando-T is for.
Garchomp say hi. (before going Mega/turn of going Mega)

I've actually found a role for regular Manectric, faking a mega. Thanks to the team preview when people see Manectric they think "Oh that must be the Mega," with my actual one being Absol/Lucario. Then I would send Manectric in on a pokemon that is weak to it. When they switch out to their special wall (Goodra, Rotom-W, etc) suddenly they have a choice scarf because of Switcheroo. Then I could volt switch out into something that could easily take the incoming attack/use them as set-up bait, or if they switch out something that counters what they switched into. It takes some prediction but it isn't too hard to pull off. You can also use it as a revenge killer if you still have the scarf/already revealed your mega.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Except you make your team thirty times worse by doing it.

Having multiple good Pokemon that can go mega (Scizor, TTar, Garchomp, etc) is a much more viable way to confuse your opponent to what mega you're using.

I think Manectric's optimal speed investment is 236+ with a 30IV to run HP Ice. This puts regular Manectric at 334 speed, and Mega Manectric at 400 speed, both of which are very handy speed tiers.

At 334, regular Manectric outspeeds non-Scarf Garchomp (maxes at 333), the only notable OU Pokémon between base 100s (328 speed) and the base 105s Manectric would usually tie with (339 speed). You can actually revenge-kill Life Orb Garchomp with a Manectric, as Mega Evolving into HP Ice deals 87% minimum; after LO recoil, that's an 80% OHKO chance.

At 400, Mega Manectric outspeeds +1 base 70s (393), base 130s (394), +1 264s like bulky DD Gyarados (396), and two tiers of speed creep (+1 265s (397), and +1 266s (399)).

I think Manectric's optimal speed investment is 236+ with a 30IV to run HP Ice. This puts regular Manectric at 334 speed, and Mega Manectric at 400 speed, both of which are very handy speed tiers.
I believe that you only need 232+ with an IV of 31, as you can instead drop its Attack and Defense IV's to 30 to get Hidden Power Ice.

I just bred a Electrike with 31/x/31/31/31/31 Timid. I really don't feel like breeding for HP Ice (even though that's the best option for it's 4th move slot), what's the next best option for the 4th move slot?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
His movepool is so limited that you might as well breed for hidden power. I mean, what else can he do? Use electric terrain to make up for his lack of strength? Use eerie impulse (don't use eerie impulse).

Whereas Pokemon like blastoise got new moves in addition to a mega form, manectric just feels half assed.

I just bred a Electrike with 31/x/31/31/31/31 Timid. I really don't feel like breeding for HP Ice (even though that's the best option for it's 4th move slot), what's the next best option for the 4th move slot?
I can't think of another attack, it has such a shitty movepool.

Perhaps you could run sub. Sub the turn you Mega Evolve on predicted switches. He would appreciate it, as 70/80/80 isn't bulky and would stop any scrafed revenge killers unless he can't 2HKO.

Sub seems intersting. What about Snarl? Intimidate hits physical Pokemon and Snarl can weaken Special threats like Gengar that are weak to it. Breeding for HP Ice has been super difficult for me.

Sub seems intersting. What about Snarl? Intimidate hits physical Pokemon and Snarl can weaken Special threats like Gengar that are weak to it. Breeding for HP Ice has been super difficult for me.
Lemme ask this... what would subbing accomplish against the imminent ground types that tend to switch in? While the likelihood of special threats, aside from Volcarona, would likely be Gastrodon. Your remaining movepool simply is not going to prove adequate in punishing said switch ins which is one of the better aspects of MManetric in that it has the tools to punish most switch ins, allowing you to net surprise kills and maintain momentum that gives him a unique spot in a Volt-turn team (he is naturally speedy without a scarf so he is not locked into options when he chooses a move like most mons in such a team). I would highly discourage sub because aside from not accomplishing anything to alleviating his issue against ground types you would only cut down MManetric's HP.

If you want to utilize him to his best potential you will definitely need Hidden Power, there is just no ifs or buts about the matter, as coverage is one of his stronger points.

Yeah agree with Machi. Hidden Power is so necessary on a pokemon whose only other good moves are its stabs and fire coverage. Honestly I don't know why HP Grass is being brought up at all. It's so situational compared to HP Ice which has a target on practically every team.

All that being said, Manectric really missed being able to hold Life Orb. It misses out on a lot of OHKOs with hp ice that make him very sad, most notably Garchomp.

I see Manectric's place as a solid middle tier Mega that has the speed and coverage to threaten a lot of other Mega's with the utility of volt switch/intimidate to make it a good cog in a volt/turn core. He seems kind of like a better Starmie with volt switch over rapid spin as it's main niche of utility. It's power isn't overwhelming but given the right coverage, (like starmie's boltbeam) and the opponents team is weakened a bit it can pull of surprising sweeps or half-sweeps on teams that can't handle the speed/coverage.

Yeah agree with Machi. Hidden Power is so necessary on a pokemon whose only other good moves are its stabs and fire coverage. Honestly I don't know why HP Grass is being brought up at all. It's so situational compared to HP Ice which has a target on practically every team.

All that being said, Manectric really missed being able to hold Life Orb. It misses out on a lot of OHKOs with hp ice that make him very sad, most notably Garchomp.
Well grass is more of a utility in case you have no members to deal with potential Gastrodon/Quagsire switch ins, otherwise I do agree Ice is better and I personally use it myself.

With regard to power well... I would look at the nerf to special moves and hidden power as being more the culprit behind the short comings. Since I do notice that HP Ice on full health against x4 ice weak, e.g. Gliscor, can leave them alive at a very small margin of health but had HP still been base 70 I don't think he'd miss out as much on as much OHKOs. He is just unfortunately hit hard by the nerf, he isn't a powerhouse as is and this just brings it down further. Which is why to compensate for items you'd definitely want hazards to make MManetric more efficient damage wise, he has the added bonus of being able to take on most Spinners/Defoggers which allow him to be a good pivot in keeping the hazards around.

Yeah the nerf hit Manectric hard. That -10 BP equates to -20 and often -40 on MManectric's hits since he relies on SE hits. Where I noticed this the most is using him as an anti-lead/scout where he has a tough time being able to mega-evolve against things he can't volt switch on. Otherwise, I'd agree his place is more of a midgame momentum driver with hazard damage making him very dangerous, and volt switch being able to keep the opponent on their toes long enough to keep them around.

I know it's terrible compared to HP Ice, but if you absolutely have no other option, charge beam can be nice when you force a switch.
You can get a boost on your next attack or for a Volt Switch.
Honestly though it doesn't compare to HP Ice at all.

Finding Manectric to be my favorite mega. Paired with a Scizor with support set and some special def IVs, it's Rotom/Scizor but for the new gen.

Also, getting really good mileage out of static as opposed to lightningrod. I have Mamoswine and Azumarill, and it's hilarious how many switchins I get into Manectric against a bullet punch, paralysis is an added bonus, and then scizor/metagross runs or eats an overheat/volt switch.

I use 94 Def / 252 SAtk / 164 Spe on mine, and it allows it to do a lot of neat things like survive Garchomp's EQ 100% of the time, and avoid a 2HKO to CB Adamant Talonflame's BB unlike a certain other quadruped Electric type. The speed allows you to out speed Noivern and Greninja. The speed loss isn't noteworthy, as my Jolteon has never lost to a Manectric, and Crobat can't do a thing to you. Aerodactyl also can't OHKO you while it isn't the same the other way around.

You can't just slap Manectric onto any team like you can with a lot of other Megas, but it has a very distinct home on VoltTurn teams, since it is incredibly effective at checking a lot of physical attackers. Not to mention having a lightning quick (no pun intended...) Volt Switch is always handy.

My only real gripe with it is that 135 SAtk is deceptively weak with no item, as it fails to net a guaranteed OHKO on Garchomp. However, once you buy into the notion that Manectric can never sweep teams, it can do a lot of work by shuffling Intimidate and spamming Volt Switch.

Manectric is awesome, it just requires some thought to use. Doubles is where it really shines though.

Ooh, never thought about manectric in doubles, but yeah, discharge/intimidate sounds incredible. I'll look into it.

Also, I think Manectric's more glue than people say, with a good hazard core the switching and added bulk it adds to a team is nice, it also makes a neat revenge-killer, and a switchin to Talonflame (the only move that outspeeds Manectric is brave bird, which does poop damage after the attack lower, plus volt switch just ohko's). It checks enough common threats that I'd consider it good glue for a team.

Then again, I do use a lot of volt-turn variants, so I might just be throwing him onto the right teams by luck.

I don't know if Sub on Manectric is a good idea with no Leftovers, not to mention you'll almost certainly see any ground type move immediately break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)