Pokémon Mawile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which defense would be best to invest in? I'm running Adamant with 248 HP / 136 Atk / 116 Sp.Def / 8 Spe?

Highest odd HP, hits a jump point in attack, and enough speed to outspeed 4 Spe Azumarills.

I ultimately decided on the last 116 getting pumped into Special Defense since it's lower (and he has Intimidate on the initial switch-in), but I read earlier in the thread that more Defense investment can let it survive some bigger hits... thoughts? :O

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Strangely enough, Mawile itself is posing quite a threat with a Choice Band attached. Don't forget that regular Mawile gets Intimidate to act as a good offensive pivot, it gets options such as Fire Fang (no Fire Punch though) to hit the things it can't hit otherwise (Forretress, Scizor) and Crunch to clear away spin blockers. The OP actually does a very good job at explaining why offensive Mega Mawile is good in terms to it's typing but regular Mawile is more than powerful enough with a Choice Band attached and Intimidate is just so helpful for getting a hit off. If you are already using a mega Pokemon but you feel as though you need a good offensive Fairy-Type don't do what most people do and use the aqua rabbit, give Mawile a try!

Are you implying M-Mawile is gonna be NU? No way. This thing is a bane to most UBERS, if there's a tier she won't find herself into, it's NU.

And passing her boost would probably be a good idea, if you can pull it off.

Pair her with baton pass Scoliopede and see her foes drop.
Well to put it in perspective, I thought Mawile was in UU or BL at least, not NU. Being the bane of most Ubers is cool and all if it doesn't die before it sets up/gets an attack off. Then again I don't know anything anymore since I missed out on basically two generations of play, so I will be quiet

When all things are said, Mega Mawile is only weak to Fire and Ground but providing 4 normal, 7 half, 1 quarter, and 2 immunity seven 0.5x resistances, one 0.25x resistance and two immunities, leaving only four neutral attacking types against it.
Baton Pass
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
Item: Currently Unnamed Mega Mawile Megastone
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 Def / 84 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Baton Pass

With great defensive stats, M-Mawile can also function very well as a non-Dedicated Baton Passer. Instead of using something else for your filler move on Swords Dance Sets, Baton Pass allows it to deal some considerable damage before passing the boosts off to other Pokemon. Notable partners that work well as recipients and offensive cores include Garchomp, Salamence who resist Ground and Fire type moves, and whose weaknesses are covered but M-Mawile, resisting Ice and Rock type moves and of course having immunity to Dragon type moves.

So someone should do the math for this question since I don't know how to do the math. How many Agility's or speed stage increases would it take to make M-Mawile not slow? The guidelines for being not slow are around the average sweeper mark that isn't Scarfed.

So someone should do the math for this question since I don't know how to do the math. How many Agility's or speed stage increases would it take to make M-Mawile not slow? The guidelines for being not slow are around the average sweeper mark that isn't Scarfed.
Each stage increase increases your stat by an additional 50% of the original. If Mawile had a speed of 100 at level 100, the first +1 speed would put it at 150 speed. With an Agility, which is +2, Mawile's speed becomes 200. For reference, a base 110 speed Pokemon like Timid Gengar hits a speed stat of 350.

Mawile's max speed at level 100 is 218 with Jolly and 252 speed EVs. After a +1 speed, it will hit 327, and +2 speed will give it 436. Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam can hit 438 speed, which is probably the highest you'll see in play.

The question becomes how much speed you want to invest in and how many boosts do you intend on getting to balance bulk and speed.

Agility doubles speed.

Assuming you invest fully into speed:
31 IVs gives 31 speed at L100. 252 EVs gives 63 speed at L100. You also have an extra 5 speed that gets doubled.
31 + 63 + 5 = 99.
Agility doubles that. So on top of doubling 50 base speed, you also double the speed increase due to EVs and IVs and that 5 speed.
So on top of having a speed that is equivalent to a base 100, you also get 99 extra speed. At L50, this translates to 49 extra speed.

So a fully invested Mawile at +2 is equivalent to a fully invested base 149 unboosted pokemon. Give or take a few points depending on how Pokemon does their rounding. I haven't done my homework on that yet

+2 Jolly Mawile with 252 Speed can outspeed base positive nature base 145 as long as they're not scarfed.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
Running this set; similar to the one my friend Fixed came up with. Power Up Punch is viable over brick break. This is ultimate trick room sweeper, but suffers from 4-moveslot syndrome. Sucker Punch has exceptional merit, since its usable outside of tr. Fire Fang is viable for forretress, ferrothorn, but leaves you walled by heatran. Rock Slide is an interesting option as a talonflame lure in OU [and ho-oh lure in ubres if you use it there].

I think there's rarely the time or option to set up sub or SD since under trick room time is limited anyway. Most setters don't want to switch out straight after setting (e.g. victini with U-turn, normal gem bronzong with gyro ball and EQ). A spinner is nice, and a wish passer, if possible, could be useful too. Goodra is a good partner, as under trick room a specs set of draco meteor/dragon pulse/flamethrower/sludge wave is pretty effective. [I've also paired with jellicent and excadrill to complete my team.]

can someone run the calculations for a Zoroark hitting Mega mawile with a flamethrower? provided that the MMawile has 252 HP/252att/4 Sdef, and the zoroark has max sp attack + Choice specs. If someone could do the calculations for a timid and a modest Zoroark, it would be much appreciated :3
Timid Nature
84.21%-99.34%

33,33% chance for OHKO with SR up. .

Modest Nature
92.76%-109.21%

87.18% chance for OHKO with SR up.

EDIT:

sweet. looks like i'll use my modest nature :D
I don't think it's worth it. Zoroark needs as much as speed as possible taking into account how frail it is. You don't want to be outspeeded by Garchomp and KOed right away. Some other examples of Pokemon which outspeed you with Modest (but can't with Timid) and which you don't want to loose again are Salamence, Thundurus-T, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Haxorus, Kyurem-B, etc. as ALL of those are capable of taking you out in one hit. And with Timid it's not a problem anyway. It's technically dead and useless for later parts of the match.

EDIT 2: I would still stick with Timid. Yeah, you have other stuff to handle those, but in some moments those may be dead and that speed creep may decide if you win a game or not. With Specs you hit hard anyway. It's always good to have backup option in case something goes wrong. And BTW if you loose in speed against something with 60/60/60 bulk - ur 100% dead.

Last edited:
Little surprised that no one has mentioned M-Mawile as a recipient from Scolipede's Baton Passes. Bypasses the awful speed and augments the massive attack even further. To put in into perspective, an Adamant, 252 Atk and 0 Spd M-Mawile, after a one turn setup from Scolipede has its Speed bumped to a somewhat terrible, but usable 204, and after the Huge Power boost, attack is boosted to a VERY good 678, but after receiving a Scolipede Swords Dance, it absolutely skyrockets to an unimaginably phenomenal 1356. And thats just with one Swords Dance under its belt. With 2 it becomes 2034, and with 3, it becomes the highest possible Attack in the game at 2712. That makes Deo-A jealous, who, boosts and all, caps out at 2016.
Edit: nvm, Shuckle is the one with the highest possible Attack, capping at 4912, but thats after Power Trick, 4 SDs, and Skill Swapping Huge Power onto it, so it isn't really worth it.

Last edited:
Little surprised that no one has mentioned M-Mawile as a recipient from Scolipede's Baton Passes. Bypasses the awful speed and augments the massive attack even further.
I've been using the Scolipede M-Mawile combo on Showdown and it's fantastic. At +2 atk/ +2 speed, Mawile can outspeed quite a few Pokemon and can OHKO quite a few as well.

Mawile is certainly viable on a pure Baton Pass team, having Baton Pass in its moveset. Is Adamant or Jolly the preferred nature?

With neutral maximum speed, you barely have enough outspeed Mega-Gengar at +2. At +3 you become faster than Scarf-Landorus and Thundurus-T and at +4 you finally break the initial speed tier. The only problem we see is that with +1, you are still 1 point behind the neutral base 100. A dedicated Baton Pass team shouldn't have any trouble to collect at least +2 for speed at least.

It is not doing much better with a Jolly nature at +1. The only relevant Pokemon there is positive Kyurem-B, we think. At +2 there are mostly setup sweeper but outspeeding Scarf-Heatran sure is nice because it allows you to pass to someone else before it ruins your day. The perk of this nature is that it manages to beak the speed tier at +3, one turn earlier.

Now, we haven't tried out the new Scolipede yet, but from what we heard it appeares to be pretty competent at its job; basicly like Ninjask, but with more bite, OHKOing 252/0 Latias over 85% of the times. You tell us if it can accumulate more than 3 speed regularly or not.

So, what can it contribute to the team? Well, its hits have a lot of ohmmps behind its attacks. Aside from being a nice cleaner, Taunt is invaluable for a Baton Pass team. The other ones who get both Baton Pass and Taunt are obviously Smeargle and its gigantic 4MSS, Mew and its typing overlap with Espeon and Mr.Mime, Gliscor, Umbreon, Absol; the latter one competes with Mawile for the Mega-Slot. It has another strong ability to backup Espeon and arguably the better STAB to muscle past Steels while Mawile is not priority weak.
Mawile can setup Stockpile and Iron Defense. However, we do not think it is a good idea when lacking any form recovery compared to, say, Iron Defense Scizor. Swords Dance fares a bit better, especially when you consider the good coverage of Fairy/Dark (Absol gets the same coverage but with the other move as STAB), but unfortunately it needs +3 in order to OHKO Crunch a bulky Heatran. If you run Swords Dance on it, be sure to have at least one more Sword Dancer behind in order to SD on two seperate occasions. Good that it does not get much bulkier than that.

So, is it any good?

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Play Rough
- Crunch / Substitute

Substitute only when there is reliable recovery with Ingrain/Aqua Ring. We are a bit indecisive about Hyper Cutter and Intimidate. Protecting one Attack from Landorus-T and friends is fine but rather situational and only works once, so we still think that Intimidate is a bit more consistent.

What other pokemon compliments M-Mawile? From what I've seen, it seems that Salamence would be a good choice as it covers her weakness quite well. But outside of these two what other pokemon should I be including in?

What other pokemon compliments M-Mawile? From what I've seen, it seems that Salamence would be a good choice as it covers her weakness quite well. But outside of these two what other pokemon should I be including in?
How about a speedboost, baton pass pokemon, to up mawile's speed. Blaziken, scolipede and Ninjask come to mind. The thing about Blaziken is that it can be a big thread himself.

Mega Mawile is incredibly scary to fight against.
If you try and attack or if you think they are going to predict obvious flamethrowers and EQs then you know a OHKO sucker punch is coming your way.
If you try to avert the sucker punch by boosting or using a non-damaging attack or priority attack then you might be giving Megawile a chance to set up a sword dance or just hit your with an iron head or play rough.

Either way you're risking death. If you attack you get sucker punch wrecked. If you don't attack you risk letting them set up or hit you hard anyway with another attack. It's scary fighting a Mega Mawile is a true battle of prediction mind games.

I've also seen Mega Mawiles survive Garchomp EQs with Max HP investment.

I've been thinking along these same lines since flying/dragon, fairy/steel cover each others weaknesses perfectly. I was thinking of Dragonite though since it can take hits better and can potentially support Mawile by using thunder wave to spread paralysis. I was also considering Goodra since it takes special hits really well and slows down physical attackers while putting out decent damage.

Otherwise I'd also like to hear people's thoughts on this. I really like the Blaziken suggestion.

If the plan is to actually outspeed anything with Mega Mawile, dragonite has a big advantage over Salamence in t-wave. If you just want a defensive pokemon, to support a mawile with ev's spend on its defenses, dragonite might be better simply by being the more defensive of the two.

I think Dragonite is a great partner for Mawile, and beats Salamence in this regard.

Type-wise, Mawile has a HUGE number of partners, because she only has two weaknesses: Fire and Ground.

Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, Rotom-W, Hydregeon, (levitate ftw) grant perfect type coverage to Mawile. Bonus points: Mawile's resistance to Rock, Ice, Grass, Dragon, and Fairy perfectly complement the weaknesses in all of the above listed pokemon.

The real question therefore, is which partner is best? And that is a much harder question to answer. Fire is typically paired up with Dragon (every damn dragon) and Fighting, while Ground is commonly paired up with Rock (EdgeQuake).

EdgeQuake neutral pokemon (Rotom and Hydregeon) may prove superior choices over Gyarados or Dragonite from an EdgeQuake perspective. But Gyarados, Dragonite and Salamence seem superior if you want to focus on walling Fire/Fighting.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Steeliebob: Dismissive of the fact that Salamence can pass nigh on 200HP Wishes that heal 2/3 of Mawile's health. Mence's Intimidate can also situationally buy Mawile switch-in opportunities. Dragonite boasts neither.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Though dragonite does boast heal bell which is oft forgotten about.
In my opinion trick room setters, from the like of porygon-2, victini, jellicent, reunclius, bronzong, etc. etc. naturally make fantastic partners. Bronzong more so for being able to set up stealth rock as well; if you're running under trick room then you rarely have time to set up a sword dance, so it helps obtain some much more crucial KOs/2HKOs.
If you're not running trick room, paralysis and sticky web support are much appreciated, such as from galvantula [paralysis is somewhat undermined nowadays, as electric and ground having immunities to thunder wave makes t-wave a lot less viable now]. A spinner to keep hazards off of your field (or, if not running your own hazards, a defogger such as empoleon, crobat or scizor) is usually very nice, although it doesn't have the largest worry over hazards, it's merely how it's incapable of healing itself (without rest). A wish-passer is also good support (it doesn't share any weaknesses with other fairies, so florges/sylveon are viable; so is salamence, and I'm sure many other pokemon too).

Type-wise, Mawile has a HUGE number of partners, because she only has two weaknesses: Fire and Ground.

Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, Rotom-W, Hydregeon, (levitate ftw) grant perfect type coverage to Mawile. Bonus points: Mawile's resistance to Rock, Ice, Grass, Dragon, and Fairy perfectly complement the weaknesses in all of the above listed pokemon.

The real question therefore, is which partner is best? And that is a much harder question to answer. Fire is typically paired up with Dragon (every damn dragon) and Fighting, while Ground is commonly paired up with Rock (EdgeQuake).

EdgeQuake neutral pokemon (Rotom and Hydregeon) may prove superior choices over Gyarados or Dragonite from an EdgeQuake perspective. But Gyarados, Dragonite and Salamence seem superior if you want to focus on walling Fire/Fighting.

I concur that these guys are perfect for MMawile. Been running a team on Wifi that usually consists of a MMawile/Gyarados combo, and many opposing teams have a hard time with these two. The Intimidates from either of them also help wall Physical attackers, which you can use the granted extra turns to set up SDs/DDs to sweep.

Now I know 3v3 is different from 6v6, but seriously, MMawile/Gyarados is a dream combo. If I see an Electric type I'll throw in Whiscash (lol ChestoRest Oblivious DD Whiscash sweeps hard) or put in a Talonflame to counter Venusaur, which gives these two a somewhat hard time to get past (if you can SD/DD before Venusaur comes out, you can still put a huge dent in it, but if you can't you're better off using another mon).

I have not read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been brought up, but I came across a particularly devastating combo on PS the other day which made me realize just how much destructive potential MegaMawile has with the right support.

Until now, I have mostly been using a Gourgeist/MegaMawile/Slowking core trying to set up Trick Room for a sweep. While this works in Battle Maison where you only need to kill 3 pokemon, it's much harder in a proper 6v6 game to pull of a Trick Room sweep. And then I went up against a team which ran Scolipede/MegaMawile. If Scolipede can pass a Swords Dance and two-three speed boosts to Mawile (even better if he can pass a sub too, but that makes him utter Taunt bait with Protect), then she can just run four coverage moves (Iron Head/Play Rough/Crunch/Etc) and sweep their entire team. That attack stat is MASSIVE.

I have not read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been brought up, but I came across a particularly devastating combo on PS the other day which made me realize just how much destructive potential MegaMawile has with the right support.

Until now, I have mostly been using a Gourgeist/MegaMawile/Slowking core trying to set up Trick Room for a sweep. While this works in Battle Maison where you only need to kill 3 pokemon, it's much harder in a proper 6v6 game to pull of a Trick Room sweep. And then I went up against a team which ran Scolipede/MegaMawile. If Scolipede can pass a Swords Dance and two-three speed boosts to Mawile (even better if he can pass a sub too, but that makes him utter Taunt bait with Protect), then she can just run four coverage moves (Iron Head/Play Rough/Crunch/Etc) and sweep their entire team. That attack stat is MASSIVE.
Is there any significant benefit to using Scolipede over Blaziken? (other that if Blaziken is banned of course) They both have comparable defenses but Blaziken functions better on it's own and can help deal with steel types that mawile might otherwise have trouble with.

Is there any significant benefit to using Scolipede over Blaziken? (other that if Blaziken is banned of course) They both have comparable defenses but Blaziken functions better on it's own and can help deal with steel types that mawile might otherwise have trouble with.
With Blaziken you might as well not pass just SD and sweep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)