May 7* Raid Event: Tera Rock Chesnaught

Now I’m playing around with various Chesnaught builds to beat Chesnaught LOL! Belly Drum + Drain Punch Chesnaught is niiiice! And it has lots of other fun tools too…
This is what I came up with so far:

:chesnaught:
Chesnaught @ Black Belt
Ability: Irrelevant
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Reflect
- Mud-Slap
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum

Having tried it w/ randoms, it's kinda slow, but it works with the right timing with Belly Drum. Absolutely never BD immediately. Had some Koraidons w/ Screech to help out w/ the Defense boosts, which was nice.

Last edited:
Ok, please tell me I'm not the only one who had the absolute worst luck with Chesnaught? Literally the turn after I Terastallized he killed my Appletun with a Crit Stone Edge. What absolute nonsense. And I swear, he got at least 2 more crits before that, one of which was his very 1st attack.

(Edit) Alright, 3 tries. 1st try I forgot my Appletun was Tera Rock, 2nd try I already said. This time, no nonsensical critical hits happened. Uramasa the Samurott and Arthur the Chesnaught, my favorite starters of their respective types. Now if only they didn't do Charizard's before freaking Christmas of all times (seriously, they knew people would get this game for Christmas, so why make the very 1st event last until before Christmas?). Hopefully they rerelease his raid in the future.

In any case, that's Charizard, Greninja, Cinderace, Decidueye, Inteleon, Samurott, Typhlosion, and Chesnaught. Wonder who's next.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Appletun solos this so easily… I tried to use Petaya Berry but try as I might Chestnaught could not knock me below half health even though I never boosted past +2 Def. I never even felt the need for growth.

So basically just Iron Def, Apple Acid, Giga Drain rarely, and I’m swapping Petaya for Miracle Seed. Shell Bell is also overkill. You’ll never click the 4th move but Recover for emergencies or Growth I guess…

Edit: Also after 2 lost online raids in a row with my Appletun the only one doing work and not dying, fully convinced Annihilape is ass in this.

Last edited:
:appletun:
Appletun @ Shell Bell
Ability: Gluttony
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Apple Acid
- Iron Defense
- Reflect
- Recover

This is the Appletun set I ended up with. Reflect is a nice way to have +2 defense without it getting swallowed up by the stat reset turn. Iron Defense alongside it is good to basically never die. Recover is good for the early game in the event of Stone Edge crits before you Tera Grass. Max SpA Modest for maximum power, Shell Bell for healing when Tera Grass, and Max Defense since that lets you take less damage than max HP.

Edit:

I see you DougJustDoug

My Great Capture Screenshot 2023-05-11 22-54-09.png

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Appletun @ Shell Bell
Modest Nature
- Apple Acid
- Iron Defense
- Reflect
- Recover

This is the Appletun set I ended up with. Reflect is a nice way to have +2 defense without it getting swallowed up by the stat reset turn. Iron Defense alongside it is good to basically never die. Recover is good for the early game in the event of Stone Edge crits before you Tera Grass. Max SpA Modest for maximum power, Shell Bell for healing when Tera Grass, and Max Defense since that lets you take less damage than max HP.

Edit:

I see you DougJustDoug

View attachment 515674
Haha! I entered that lobby with Koraidon, but when I saw another Appletun locked in, I knew two Apple Acid-mons would make quick work of Chesnaught and so I switched to my Appletun! It sucked that the Walking Wake on our team kept fainting (as seen in the screenshot), and I think the Lurantis also fainted once. But with two Appletun’s doing all the heavy lifting, we were able to win the raid anyway.

Yeah, Appletun is a beast in this Chesnaught raid!

Haha! I entered that lobby with Koraidon, but when I saw another Appletun locked in, I knew two Apple Acid-mons would make quick work of Chesnaught and so I switched to my Appletun! It sucked that the Walking Wake on our team kept fainting (as seen in the screenshot), and I think the Lurantis also fainted once. But with two Appletun’s doing all the heavy lifting, we were able to win the raid anyway.

Yeah, Appletun is a beast in this Chesnaught raid!
I was thinking "ok ima let it cook, maybe it's the good support set w/ Noble Roar and CW", nope :/

Reactions: CPU
Speaking of WW, I'm farming some stuff from him as well as Chesnaught, and my Arceus is his AI stupid. He never uses Dragon Pulse before my Appletun Terastallizes, and he's only used Flamethrower after the Tera in only one of the matches.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Appletun @ Shell Bell
Modest Nature
- Apple Acid
- Iron Defense
- Reflect
- Recover

Edit:

I see you DougJustDoug

View attachment 515674
So cool you guys met up! I tried switching to Reflect + Shell Bell— you convinced me!

I made mine Reflect/Apple Acid/Giga Drain/Recover with Shell Bell. Dropped Iron Defense because Apple never needs more than +2, and I agree Recover can be good for emergencies especially since Appletun is always faster after some Hammer Arms.

My set was good for Solo but Reflect makes online Raid waaaaaaay more consistent

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Reflect Appletun is sooooooo GOAT.

I’ve won with gholdengos, with Bulk Up Annihilape & SD Koraidon, WW, of course Lurantis/Other Apple easy win—

But even with weird stuff alike Miraidon teams.

Came thiiiiiiiis close to winning with 3 iron hands and on a team with cinder ace @ iron treads.

This Mon can carry the whole raid— support crap teammates and win in spite of them.

Today on my list of people actively sabotaging themselves until I manage to beat the raid

- Someone who thought DDance ES Dragonite was a good idea (against a rock mon?)
- Generic solo Perserker who unsurprisingly got KOd 3 times in a row
- Turn 1 Belly Drum Iron Hands Enjoyer (bonus: tera electric instead of fighting)
- Koraidon with... Low Kick as main fighting attack
- This guy had Miraidon on hover, someone else locks Koraidon and he... picks Charizard :)
- Same as above, but Chi You. Oh he was spamming INFERNO of all things.
- A Gengar enthusiast who somehow managed to live a single earthquake then proceeded to... Night Shade and Sludge Bomb. But hey, Cursed body disabled EQ at some point!
- Azumarill. No, it wasnt Sap Sipper. He got 1 Liquidation off though :) ... under Sun
- This other Koiraidon guy who kept spamming Screech with the shield up for a bunch of turns
- This another Koraidon guy who thought Outrage was the play
- A Gyarados, which I mean, at least brought Intimidate, then died to a crit right after anyway and went onward to.. spam special attacks. Not even Hydro Pump, Ice beam and Hurricane instead.

List of creative picks I ran into that weren't basically throwing

- Some guy brought Rough Skin Garchomp with Liquidation, which honestly worked ok. Didn't die, Rough Skin does chip damage, Garchomp's natural bulk is strong enough. Sadly didn't really seem to get a whole lot of damage done though.
- a 5Head Fluffy Charm Houndstone who was indeed taking negative damage then proceeded to spam Mud-Slap and Howl. He almost managed to carry the raid. Almost, the Gengar just kept dieing sadly and timer expired.

Eventually just *barely* won with another Appletun (who was fully spamming Grav Apple / Giga Drain while I kept up Reflect and Cheers), the Gyarados from above (he did absolutely nothing but die, but at least the Intimidate spam actually helped), and a Koraidon who actually had Collision Course and Sword Dance instead of random stuff.

Nest Ball Chesnaugh acquired, and I swear absolute lack of thinking from people doing online raids never stops amazing me.
I can forgive someone for not thinking of the Ground coverage, but locking 4x weak to rock or just generically "weak to stab/tera with nonexistant bulk" picks just baffle me.

I beat Chesnaught online with a Support Gardevoir set.
1683882955037.png

The idea was that randoms would go for their Iron Hands stuff once again so I needed a Pokémon that was:
- Able to mitigate Belly Drum recoil somewhat
- Able to lower damage received
- Able to prevent Chesnaught from boosting too much
While looking for a Pokémon that had Taunt + Reflect + Life Dew, I found the Gardevoir line and rolled with it as it outspeeds Chesnaught.

You Charm on turn 1, Taunt on turn 2, Reflect on turn 3 and then spam Life Dew.
You'll take a lot of damage from boosted Wood Hammer so dropping Chesnaught's offenses and preventing it from boosting up as fast as possible is important because otherwise it might use its Shield phase to boost up.

You Charm on turn 1, Taunt on turn 2, Reflect on turn 3 and then spam Life Dew.
I think Taunt is probably somewhat irrelevant in this sequence.

The Iron Defense is scripted at turn 0, and Bulk Up / Curse will happen after the shield breaks, so it's very unlikely the Taunt would be up by then. May as well throw another Charm instead.

The Iron Defense is scripted at turn 0, and Bulk Up / Curse will happen after the shield breaks, so it's very unlikely the Taunt would be up by then. May as well throw another Charm instead.
Oh, are Chesnaught's boosting moves all scripted? I thought it could use one on any turn. Thanks for the heads up! Might as well scrap Taunt from the set entirely then.

Oh, are Chesnaught's boosting moves all scripted? I thought it could use one on any turn. Thanks for the heads up! Might as well scrap Taunt from the set entirely then.
Fwiw generally moves under the "Additional moves" category are always scripted in a way or another. Either at a specific time, Hp threshold, when shield goes up/down, or in some cases, after attacking (Decidueye was the only case of this iirc)

Fwiw generally moves under the "Additional moves" category are always scripted in a way or another. Either at a specific time, Hp threshold, when shield goes up/down, or in some cases, after attacking (Decidueye was the only case of this iirc)
That's good to know, thank you very much!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wait, if this thing never cures it’s debuffs, doesn’t that mean we could just Burn it and make it’s offense almost obsolete for like the whole battle?
Yes, and in one of my solo runs, i had an Arcanine NPC that burned Chesnaught, and it lasted forever. Very cool.

Last edited:

Bulk Up and Curse happen at specific HP thresholds iirc. It can have shield up and it’ll still use them. But yeah, Taunt is kinda subpar since it’ll usually take more than 3 turns to get to that point.

Wait, if this thing never cures it’s debuffs, doesn’t that mean we could just Burn it and make it’s offense almost obsolete for like the whole battle?
Yes, and in one of my solo runs, i had an Arcanine NPC that burned Chesnaught, and it lasted forever. Very cool.
I think they opted for it to not clear debuffs since the design is "slow phisically bulky boss that hits hard" and it actually actively debuffs its speed with Hammer Arm and Curse.

The main problem is that most viable burners will likely just die horribly a couple times due to bad matchup... except Houndstone.
So if that is the route you want to pick, take a page off the guy i met and have fluffy Houndstone do it. Bonus, you can Howl any phisical attacker

DougJustDoug

The main problem is that most viable burners will likely just die horribly a couple times due to bad matchup... except Houndstone.
So if that is the route you want to pick, take a page off the guy i met and have fluffy Houndstone do it. Bonus, you can Howl any phisical attacker
I have a Slither Wing on my “To Do List” of interesting pokemon to try, that intends to leverage WoW for this specifically ;-)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Today on my list of people actively sabotaging themselves until I manage to beat the raid

- Someone who thought DDance ES Dragonite was a good idea (against a rock mon?)
- Generic solo Perserker who unsurprisingly got KOd 3 times in a row
- Turn 1 Belly Drum Iron Hands Enjoyer (bonus: tera electric instead of fighting)
- Koraidon with... Low Kick as main fighting attack
- This guy had Miraidon on hover, someone else locks Koraidon and he... picks Charizard :)
- Same as above, but Chi You. Oh he was spamming INFERNO of all things.
- A Gengar enthusiast who somehow managed to live a single earthquake then proceeded to... Night Shade and Sludge Bomb. But hey, Cursed body disabled EQ at some point!
- Azumarill. No, it wasnt Sap Sipper. He got 1 Liquidation off though :) ... under Sun
- This other Koiraidon guy who kept spamming Screech with the shield up for a bunch of turns
- This another Koraidon guy who thought Outrage was the play
- A Gyarados, which I mean, at least brought Intimidate, then died to a crit right after anyway and went onward to.. spam special attacks. Not even Hydro Pump, Ice beam and Hurricane instead.

List of creative picks I ran into that weren't basically throwing

- Some guy brought Rough Skin Garchomp with Liquidation, which honestly worked ok. Didn't die, Rough Skin does chip damage, Garchomp's natural bulk is strong enough. Sadly didn't really seem to get a whole lot of damage done though.
- a 5Head Fluffy Charm Houndstone who was indeed taking negative damage then proceeded to spam Mud-Slap and Howl. He almost managed to carry the raid. Almost, the Gengar just kept dieing sadly and timer expired.

Eventually just *barely* won with another Appletun (who was fully spamming Grav Apple / Giga Drain while I kept up Reflect and Cheers), the Gyarados from above (he did absolutely nothing but die, but at least the Intimidate spam actually helped), and a Koraidon who actually had Collision Course and Sword Dance instead of random stuff.

Nest Ball Chesnaugh acquired, and I swear absolute lack of thinking from people doing online raids never stops amazing me.
I can forgive someone for not thinking of the Ground coverage, but locking 4x weak to rock or just generically "weak to stab/tera with nonexistant bulk" picks just baffle me.
Didn’t end up going into the raid, but had a bloke hosting with a Talonflame, and another on the team using Charizard. Me and the other Appletun bloke left afterimages as soon as they locked in.

Thinking of it, the one saving grace in this raid is that it actually debuffs its own speed.
Since by a few turn it's likely going to be at -3 or more speed (assuming at least one person is getting Hammer Arm hits) on top of Chesnaugh not being particularly fast to begin with, even people with suboptimal pokemon will generally be getting at least one attack off.
If the boss is properly debuffed, it's possible to actually make it even with people basically inting (read: me winning with Gyarados above).

I think if you plan to grind this online, maybe the best plan is actually go to heavy debuff spam so people with terrible choices can actually do something barring getting crit to death.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)