Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Apple Acid
- Iron Defense
- Reflect
- Recover

This is the Appletun set I ended up with. Reflect is a nice way to have +2 defense without it getting swallowed up by the stat reset turn. Iron Defense alongside it is good to basically never die. Recover is good for the early game in the event of Stone Edge crits before you Tera Grass. Max SpA Modest for maximum power, Shell Bell for healing when Tera Grass, and Max Defense since that lets you take less damage than max HP.

Edit:

I see you DougJustDoug

View attachment 515674
Great set this is, first time solo one shot with it :D

Thanks buddy!

I beat Chesnaught online with a Support Gardevoir set.
View attachment 515692
The idea was that randoms would go for their Iron Hands stuff once again so I needed a Pokémon that was:
- Able to mitigate Belly Drum recoil somewhat
- Able to lower damage received
- Able to prevent Chesnaught from boosting too much
While looking for a Pokémon that had Taunt + Reflect + Life Dew, I found the Gardevoir line and rolled with it as it outspeeds Chesnaught.

You Charm on turn 1, Taunt on turn 2, Reflect on turn 3 and then spam Life Dew.
You'll take a lot of damage from boosted Wood Hammer so dropping Chesnaught's offenses and preventing it from boosting up as fast as possible is important because otherwise it might use its Shield phase to boost up.
Following Worldie's advice, I have replaced Taunt with Helping Hand and the set has worked even better!
You can set two to three Charms up as the other players boost up or attack with unboosted moves before the Shield goes up!
I often can use three but if only two Charms could be used I can Reflect up! Reflect makes so little difference after three Charms that I just spam Life Dew right away!
My teammates and I proceed to take 0 damage so when they are healed up enough I can just use Helping Hand/Cheers/Reflect to save Life Dew pp!

Thank you for the advice!

Managed to win with Appletun despite the weird partners I got. Koraidon is usable against it, but then there was also an Umbreon that kept spamming Charm and Baby-Doll Eyes after the shield was up(also why have both?) and a completely unchanged Mighty Typhlosion. Honestly a miracle that we beat it with time to spare.

Hope this is okay to ask here...

Is there an easy way to tell when Reflect has ended, or do I need to keep track of how many turns since set up? As made abundantly clear, Reflect Appleton is good, but I was sort of multi-tasking and not doing a good job making sure Reflect was always up...

Also, I did an online raid where 3 people locked in and then the 4th person brought Gastrodon. It was over quickly at least.

Hello everyone! I can also vouch for support gardevoir, I've been running almost identical set to what PyProd has been running, with trace over telepathy (trace is completely unhelpful though), and helping hand replacing taunt as well. I think if one wants to farm this raid this set is the way to go, over about two hours I've played I lost only a few times. Scince after two charms team becomes basically unkillable it can carry even one bad teammate like unrivaled inteleon.
Most raids I've ran into were running koraidon or miraidon, couple of iron hands and gholdengo, many lurantis and appletun, though these last ones tend to leave. I suppose I haven't encountered anything really bad, other than that one inteleon, and that other inteleon that used random moves which our team couldn't salvage. I did meet the guy with a support hounstone, I like when people think outside the box like that. I even ran into DougJustDoug, but he left the party, so we didn't play. That's understandable, rando gardevoir aren't usually support. I'm glad I get to use gardevoir, it really is otherwise niche in regular raids.

Is there an easy way to tell when Reflect has ended, or do I need to keep track of how many turns since set up? As made abundantly clear, Reflect Appleton is good, but I was sort of multi-tasking and not doing a good job making sure Reflect was always up...
If you press Y and click on anyone in your party, you can see their status timers like in regular battles.
Just make sure to not accidentally attack them right after, I've done it a few times lol

If someone isn't actually using buffs or just died, you can even istantly tell if Reflect is up by the presence of the ! icon (if it's not there it means they have no conditions)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I even ran into DougJustDoug, but he left the party, so we didn't play. That's understandable, rando gardevoir aren't usually support. I'm glad I get to use gardevoir, it really is otherwise niche in regular raids.
Ha ha! I think I remember seeing Gardevoir in one of the lobbies and I left. I even wondered for a second if it was someone running the set that was posted here on the Smogon thread, but thought better of it, and assumed that it was probably some idiot using a standard Gardevoir that would just be a problem for the raid lol!

I have a Slither Wing on my “To Do List” of interesting pokemon to try, that intends to leverage WoW for this specifically ;-)
By the way, I've gone ahead and done that myself.

I took the one I had, set Impish nature, didn't EV it cause i'm Lazy natured irl, and went WoW - Bulk Up - Low Kick - Morning Star.
It went uuuh ok, after burning, the boss barely tickles, however it *DID* reset the burn after shielding which became a big ouch since I was not expecting it to do it so I didn't stack up Bulk Ups

:Breloom:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Charm
- Grassy Terrain
- Helping Hand
- Giga Drain / Fake Tears / Spore / Mud-Slap

I haven’t tested this yet since I’m at work rn, but I can see PhysDef Breloom being pretty neat as a support, especially alongside other Appletun. Charm will be the move you spam in the beginning until you use it 3 times or the shield is up. Grassy Terrain gives you passive recovery, which means alongside Poison Heal, you get 18% of your health per turn. GT also powers up your allied Apple Acids and gives ground-weak Pokémon a resistance to Earthquake. Helping Hand to then boost your Appletuns even further beyond.

The first three moves are the only ones that really matter imo. The fourth move can be a few things. Giga Drain can do a surprising amount of damage after some Apple Acids and Grassy Terrain being up, and is a better draining move vs Chesnaught than Drain punch which could come in handy if a lot of crits happen. Fake tears helps with the SpDef dropping early on, but if you have an Appletun, it’s gonna eventually get to -6 SpDef anyway, especially if there’s two Appletun. Mud-Slap helps with accuracy, ig, and Spore sounds cool early game but is useless vs shield.

Last edited:
I had to take a picture of the one time I actually run in a smogoner online :wo: PyProd

1683903645217.png

Also since it also happened this raid, seems like it just... heals the Burn after a bit. It doesn't do the stat animation reset, in fact it doesn't reset its stats at all (it still had all the -attack from Charm), the burn just went poof.
Well I suppose at least it completely neuters the first bit until people have buffs / debuffs up anyway.

10/10 Slyther Wing set would recommend (maybe with a better stab than Low Kick and actual EV investment :zonger:)

I had to take a picture of the one time I actually run in a smogoner online :wo: PyProd

View attachment 515752

Also since it also happened this raid, seems like it just... heals the Burn after a bit. It doesn't do the stat animation reset, in fact it doesn't reset its stats at all (it still had all the -attack from Charm), the burn just went poof.
Well I suppose at least it completely neuters the first bit until people have buffs / debuffs up anyway.

10/10 Slyther Wing set would recommend (maybe with a better stab than Low Kick and actual EV investment :zonger:)
Yeah, I legitimately smiled when I realized I was matched with you. What were the chances? Also saved a pic.
And yes, Shields clear statuses but not stat drops! For that, the boss has to clear them itself, and Chesnaught just doesn't.

After our raid I stumbled upon a comp with an Amoonguss, thinking "oh great they might Spore or use Worry Seed + Acid Spray"

It just used Clear Smog after I dropped the boss to -6 Atk and it proceeded to wipe our ally Gholdengo and Annihilape repeatedly.
That and a dude who locked onto Talonflame after everybody was locked in are my only losses.

Maybe this is to make up for the incredible luck of us meeting Worldie?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flawless victory— solo and online. (Probably not the fastest to Solo with though)

IMG_4363.png

Debuff the Mon
Bold 200HP / 252 Def / 58 SpA
Item: Shell Bell
-Charm
-Chilling Water
-Muddy Water
-Fake Tears

I dunno if Tera Grass is optimal, but I just grabbed a random Vaporeon from my box, it had Tera Grass so I kept it for lols and invincibility after Tera. This goes in and Debuffs SO HARD.

In Solo I was able to get 2 Charm and 2 Fake Tears before the shield went up lololol. He killed me once post shield but not before I hit 2 Chilling Waters. Came back, Muddy Water’d into Tera and then just flooded him with big Muddy Waters and accuracy debuffs. Slow, but satisfying victory.

In online raids OMG soooooo easy. And the fact that this never misses its main debuffs is soooo good. What’s cool is that you make your partners unkillable but you ALSO leave yourself a win condition in case their physical attackers are ass. That was my idea with this; a great support Mon that leaves debuffs that stick, can break through itself if need be, and can debuff attack flexibly even with shield up.

Also thankfully outruns even on turn one unlike Appletun so get Charm no matter what. Even when I’ve gotten crit early and killed, still came back and won. So far 100% wins with Vappy online.

Only problem is raid hosts cancelling because they see vappy and think you’re ass. :/

Edit: OMG just won again with 1st turn Belly Drum Iron Hands and Swords Dance Thunder Miraidon on the team. This thing is the truth. Total idiocy proof. I’m 6-0 in random online raids so far, including twice when I got killed by crit since dying once is usually part of the game plan. Debuff, die, come back and Tera into Muddy Water spam.

Last edited:
My first solo attempt was with a Bulk Up Koraidon, and I lost by running out of time. Chesnaught could barely scratch my Koraidon, but BU just couldn’t boost DPS fast enough to do big chunks and outpace Chesnaught’s def boosts. So I retooled and solo’ed it pretty easy with this Koraidon build:

:sv/koraidon:
Koraidon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
- Collison Course
- Drain Punch
- Screech
- Swords Dance

I Screeched as much as I could before the shield went up. Chesnaught did not reset its own debuffs the entire battle. Then I started Swords Dancing and Drain Punching, almost alternating every turn, because Ches was hitting pretty hard with those Hammer Arms. I decided to Tera and Ches started using Wood Hammer doing even more damage. But the increased healing from Drain Punch was worth the Tera and loss of Dragon typing. After the shield dropped, I was able to Screech again. But Chesnaught did a double turn Bulk Up and Curse (yikes!) and I didn’t check the exact levels of its Attack and Defense. But it was hitting Koraidon for like 75% every time. And I was Drain Punching recovering about 70% every time. Finally I got it down to where it looked like Collision Course would finish it off, and it did.

Things might have gone badly if Chesnaught would have critted me more. But it was a pretty easy solo after switching to Swords Dance, and I had lots of time left on the timer. I definitely recommend Koraidon for solo.

Now I’m playing around with various Chesnaught builds to beat Chesnaught LOL! Belly Drum + Drain Punch Chesnaught is niiiice! And it has lots of other fun tools too…
Did your Solo have any Intimidate Partners? Since Chesnaught never resets his Debuffs they might put in some work debuffing his ATK for Koraidon in this case, and you might get them to "cycle" faster since 2/3 are weak to Chesnaught's Rock STAB (this also assuming the AI Toxapex won't go for Chilling Water and the Barrier timing stops WoW from Drifblim).

1683911415984.png

Here are Chesnaught's AI actions from https://stevecooktu.github.io/sv_raid_lookup/ for anyone wondering on specifics.
In general it seems preferable to spam debuffs in the 2 minutes you get before the shield goes up on time instead of getting it from the 80% damage threshold, so that you can rebreak it again to time it with his 50% actions.
The 300 second Curse is kind of sad compared to what I thought was a double setup turn.

This is for everyone who didn't believe in Azumarill's 50 Attack stat to be strong enough to win even with the type advantage, everyone who quickly thought that Azumarill would be too weak to break through Chesnaught's Defense without Huge Power, and the selfish perception of people who only saw raid Azumarill as a Huge Power Belly Drum spammer that fell off after Charizard (which is kind of fair to expect online still). Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favourites, and this video shows that a Tera-Water Sap Sipper Azumarill can solo clear with relative ease, without even needing to use Belly Drum or any cheers at all to set up buffs, just setting up Tickle, Rain Dance, and spamming Liquidations.

Also in theory Azumarill would double as a great soloist and supporter as well with a variety of debuff moves like Tickle, Charm, Fake Tears, Helping Hand, and Mud-Slap, but unfortunately raid randoms have completely ruined Azumarill's reputation in online matchmaking, so it may be hard to find lobbies with people who both know what they're doing and also trust an Azumarill to not be a bad random set.

EDIT:
If you're not using Belly Drum or Huge Power, then you don't even need to be physical and this has been taken to its logical conclusion with a special Azumarill solo, which could even be further improved with Fake Tears. Azumarill continues to stay winning as one of the only mons here able to pull off both a physical and special set and still come out on top.

Last edited:
:annihilape:
The usual monkey (Screech + Bulk Up + Drain Punch + Rage Fist) works perfectly solo, especially with Intimidate partners.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Did your Solo have any Intimidate Partners? Since Chesnaught never resets his Debuffs they might put in some work debuffing his ATK for Koraidon in this case, and you might get them to "cycle" faster since 2/3 are weak to Chesnaught's Rock STAB (this also assuming the AI Toxapex won't go for Chilling Water and the Barrier timing stops WoW from Drifblim).
Yes, in one of my solos I had an Arcanine NPC that made life verrrry easy. Not only did it die often and keep Intimidating on the respawn, but it also burned Chesnaught through the shield with Flamethrower (Worldie I'm pretty sure this is why in my solo the burn never reset). So that solo was super easy since nothing was hurting Koraidon on that run.

But when it comes to Koraidon and attack debuffs, I've slightly modified my moveset since that earlier post. This is now my preferred set, particularly for online raids:

:sv/koraidon:
Koraidon @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
- Drain Punch
- Breaking Swipe
- Screech
- Swords Dance

This Koraidon set is damn near the perfect all-purpose pokemon for the Chesnaught raid IMO. It is a great support pokemon, but it also is a big damage dealer that can easily carry the raid solo if needed. Screech lowering defense at the start of the battle is awesome for itself and all the physical attackers that seem to be mostly preferred by online players. I replaced Collision Course with Breaking Swipe, and I'm not looking back. Breaking Swipe lets it debuff Chesnaught's attack through the shield while Koraidon is building Tera and saving limited Drain Punch PP. Teammates without access to reliable healing really appreciate the attack drops, particularly later when the BU+Curse double turn happens. And of course with Swords Dance and Drain Punch, Koraidon does big chunks of damage and never really worries about health.

Breaking Swipe over Collision Course was an easy change, since I really only used CollCourse at the end of the battle anyway. Koraidon needed the healing of DPunch more than the extra damage of CollCourse anyway. Breaking Swipe doesn't do much damage, but the attack lowering helps Koraidon not NEED as much healing in the first place, and like I said, it's really more for helping teammates. Because the key to grinding most online raids is not really about having good pokemon yourself, it's about having pokemon that can help stupid, bad teammates from fainting all the time and killing the timer. Koraidon is an all-star for the Chesnaught raid because it can do both.

Nice to see Koraidon get some time in the limelight, after sitting on the sidelines mostly while Miraidon has been the top choice box cover legend for most previous event raids!

:Breloom:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Charm
- Grassy Terrain
- Helping Hand
- Giga Drain / Fake Tears / Spore / Mud-Slap

I haven’t tested this yet since I’m at work rn, but I can see PhysDef Breloom being pretty neat as a support, especially alongside other Appletun. Charm will be the move you spam in the beginning until you use it 3 times or the shield is up. Grassy Terrain gives you passive recovery, which means alongside Poison Heal, you get 18% of your health per turn. GT also powers up your allied Apple Acids and gives ground-weak Pokémon a resistance to Earthquake. Helping Hand to then boost your Appletuns even further beyond.

The first three moves are the only ones that really matter imo. The fourth move can be a few things. Giga Drain can do a surprising amount of damage after some Apple Acids and Grassy Terrain being up, and is a better draining move vs Chesnaught than Drain punch which could come in handy if a lot of crits happen. Fake tears helps with the SpDef dropping early on, but if you have an Appletun, it’s gonna eventually get to -6 SpDef anyway, especially if there’s two Appletun. Mud-Slap helps with accuracy, ig, and Spore sounds cool early game but is useless vs shield.
Update: Support Breloom is fantastic. Hasn’t fainted on me one time, and it even won with 3 Annihilape partners :bellipog:

I ended up using Fake Tears as my 4th move since I found you only really NEED two Charms to make Chesnaught dish out pathetic damage, and the extra SpDef drops make the raid go faster.

Umbreon (as well as Farigiraf) gets a neat move called Guard Swap, which allows you to get rid of the initial Iron Defense and steal it for yourself, which is a neat possibility. The problem is it might be squeezed for space, since you're never going to use it after that first turn, and you could find that other moves are more useful. And of course, you only get to benefit from the boost on your side until the first wipe.

Still, Umbreon has been working out fine for me, even using a deliberately slow one that doesn't outspeed the first Hammer Arm: the damage isn't that bad, and then from turn 2 onward I do go first so the second Hammer Arm hits at -4 (or -2 + Reflect, equivalent to -6) and that's generally enough to stabilize and keep everyone else safe too. The niche of "Pick a stat, any stat, and you can lower it" that forms its usual repertoire in raids, still applies: Charm, Screech, Tickle to cover both of those in one moveslot, Fake Tears...okay, Snarl isn't going to do much good, and once the shield goes up the only useful stat-drop move you've got is Mud-Slap, but even that move goes a long way in a raid where there are no negwipes and the fishing for free turns keeps lasting. Plus, if you see a Lurantis partner you can of course throw a Mud-Slap their way to prevent them from missing any Leaf Storms.

Of course that's not a solo-worthy set; the most damaging thing you can probably do with it is throw on Rocky Helmet and see how many turns of chip damage you get. Spoiler alert, there's not going to be enough time to pull off 210. For something that can do the job, though:
:ss/falinks:
Falinks @ Scope Lens
Ability: Battle Armor
Max Def
- Iron Defense
- Focus Energy
- Body Press
- Rest

So they put Iron Defense in the script but didn't use Body Press to take advantage of it, huh? Why not show them what they're missing. Build up the defense above and beyond what they have, with critical immunity to boot, and Chesnaught's preferred move against this is Wood Hammer which eats into a tiny bit of the health meter while you're setting up and taking laughable amounts of damage. Since there are no moves in this raid that benefit a Covert Cloak, or Clear Amulet, a set like this can use Scope Lens to get to 100% criticals after the Focus Energy and completely look past their defense boosts.

The one thing you want to watch out for is the section in the middle of the script where it can boost attack (possibly twice, with both Bulk Up and Curse depending on the timing), then erase your Iron Defenses, so you have to build them back up in the face of harder hits. This happens around the 50% mark, so just before you see the health start dipping that low, I recommend a Rest followed by an immediate heal cheer to wake up in just one turn, and finally use the next Body Press to plunge over the edge. If you're at high health when that string plays out, you can use that health as a buffer and just start boosting again with impunity, but at low health you won't be able to use all the boosts in a row; some turns will have to be spent healing and they could be offset by attacks into an incompletely-setup defense stat, which necessitates more heals and further distraction from ever getting to rebuild. If you spin the heal cheer roulette and it comes up with the bare-minimum 20% heal, that's a completely wasted turn at this point in the raid, and you don't get any sort of guarantee that you'll have even one big roll from among the 3 possible cheers which you would need to get some breathing room. So yeah, that's why you intentionally deploy the heal in advance of that mess.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flawless victory— solo and online. (Probably not the fastest to Solo with though)

View attachment 515755
Debuff the Mon
Bold 200HP / 252 Def / 58 SpA
Item: Shell Bell
-Charm
-Chilling Water
-Muddy Water
-Fake Tears

I dunno if Tera Grass is optimal, but I just grabbed a random Vaporeon from my box, it had Tera Grass so I kept it for lols and invincibility after Tera. This goes in and Debuffs SO HARD.

In Solo I was able to get 2 Charm and 2 Fake Tears before the shield went up lololol. He killed me once post shield but not before I hit 2 Chilling Waters. Came back, Muddy Water’d into Tera and then just flooded him with big Muddy Waters and accuracy debuffs. Slow, but satisfying victory.

In online raids OMG soooooo easy. And the fact that this never misses its main debuffs is soooo good. What’s cool is that you make your partners unkillable but you ALSO leave yourself a win condition in case their physical attackers are ass. That was my idea with this; a great support Mon that leaves debuffs that stick, can break through itself if need be, and can debuff attack flexibly even with shield up.

Also thankfully outruns even on turn one unlike Appletun so get Charm no matter what. Even when I’ve gotten crit early and killed, still came back and won. So far 100% wins with Vappy online.

Only problem is raid hosts cancelling because they see vappy and think you’re ass. :/

Edit: OMG just won again with 1st turn Belly Drum Iron Hands and Swords Dance Thunder Miraidon on the team. This thing is the truth. Total idiocy proof. I’m 6-0 in random online raids so far, including twice when I got killed by crit since dying once is usually part of the game plan. Debuff, die, come back and Tera into Muddy Water spam.
STILL UNDEFEATED
Best Vaporeon Showcase Story yet:

In Preview, the Host is showing Miraidon I’m like “sure whatever” I lock in as a Hariyama does too. The Appletun guest immediately bails (boooooo you don believe bro???). After some deliberation, the Host switches to Toxitricity (lol wat?) and the raid starts— but it turns out a Lilligent snuck in.

Hariyama
Lilligent
Vaporeon
Toxitricity

The meta! lol

I immediately Charm, and Hariyama throws up a Chilling Water (based!!!) which somehow saves Toxitricity from wiping as it clicks Acid Spray (lol wat), and Lilligent Quiver Dances.

There are no Appletun so I go for 2 Fake Tears, thinking -3 Attack is enough. Toxitricity gets Toxic up, but it gets killed by EQ as we go into the shield with:

+Focus Energy Hariyama
Healthy but no boosts Lilligent
Half health Vaporeon
Dead Toxitricity

Chestnaught (Shield)
-3 ATK, +2 Def, -4 SpDef

I go for as many Chilling Waters as possible to weaken before Toxitricity comes back. It does and keeps using Toxic…while Shield is up…

Toxitricity still almost died…

I don’t normally use cheers but I see Hariyama just Belly Drummed, I’m weak, and Toxitricity about to die too, so instead of trying to die on purpose (and since Toxitricity also cost us time) I throw up Heal cheer as Hariyama and Lilligent both Tera and start pounding Chestnaught!! I then go for Defense cheer as Toxitricity starts thunderbolting.

Somehow Toxitricity and I both got into Tera without dying and Chestnaught wipes stats but too late as Yama busts through the shield.

From there pretty much just snow balled to the win.

At this point I’m almost interested in seeing what partners Vappy CAN’T win with.

13 wins, 0 losses, 0 step away from raids
…from Chestnaught. QUITE a few step away from Iron Leaves accidentally clicked (damn spiky grass robot…)

Last edited:
A mon I’ve been seeing some Japanese players use is Opportunist Espathra, with Feather Dance, Lumina Crash, and Roost. Here’s my take on that set:

:espathra:
Espathra @ Metronome
Ability: Opportunist
Modest Nature
- Lumina Crash
- Feather Dance
- Tera Blast
- Roost

This is basically Appletun 2.0.

Opportunist lets you copy the +2 Defense Chesnaught gets with Iron Defense turn 0. Feather Dance lowers Attack by 2 stages and makes Chesnaught hit as hard as a wet paper bag. Lumina Crash 3 times will get Chesnaught to -6 SpDef, then Tera Blast Grass does massive damage that gets progressively stronger with Metronome. Bonus damage if used alongside a Grassy Terrain user. Roost for recovery.

Probably my favorite mon to use vs Chesnaught right now. This mon goes absolutely hard. It’s a phenomenal combination of DPS and support.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
A mon I’ve been seeing some Japanese players use is Opportunist Espathra, with Feather Dance, Lumina Crash, and Roost. Here’s my take on that set:

:espathra:
Espathra @ Metronome
Ability: Opportunist
Modest Nature
- Lumina Crash
- Feather Dance
- Tera Blast
- Roost

This is basically Appletun 2.0.

Opportunist lets you copy the +2 Defense Chesnaught gets with Iron Defense turn 0. Feather Dance lowers Attack by 2 stages and makes Chesnaught hit as hard as a wet paper bag. Lumina Crash 3 times will get Chesnaught to -6 SpDef, then Tera Blast Grass does massive damage that gets progressively stronger with Metronome. Bonus damage if used alongside a Grassy Terrain user. Roost for recovery.

Probably my favorite mon to use vs Chesnaught right now. This mon goes absolutely hard. It’s a phenomenal combination of DPS and support.
I’ve seen this in raids too, and can say I won every time paired with it. Didn’t see it using Feather Dance but that’s brilliant that it gets it! Definitely wanna try.

Edit: Can confirm Espathra is nuts in any version of this Chestnaught raid. Feels like #1 consistency.

Last edited:
Today raid partners me and my Gardevoir met have gotten worse, with multiple starters at once and even an Iron Bundle for some reason. One raid I'm sad that I lost was Greninja, Meowscarada and Corviknight partners. I lock in thinking that I can carry if corv can provide dps, little did I know that was a support Corviknight with Body Press, Reflect, Rest, Taunt, and I think dragon tera. Not sure why would you not run Iron Defence and Roost... Anyway, corv did not contribute much. Greninja did not have STAB at all and just cycled though it's moves and died a couple of times, while Meowscarada was the main damage dealer with a couple of Flower Tricks at the beginning, before switching to Giga Drain. It's self-healing did help me offset low damage with helping hand on turns where no healing was needed. In the end, Chesnaught was at its last legs with a pixel of health, and I made the wrong move of not using Life Dew and the frog's death drained the remaining time. It had decent amount of health, so I'm not sure now if it was crit or not, if it was then there was no salvaging this.
But it gets worse! Later on I see the exact same party and lock in thinking I'll avenge my loss, but at the last moment Meowscarada changes to Azumarill. And it really exactly the same, with useless Greninja, the same set for Corviknight minus terastallizing at all, except azu never boosts up and spams Aqua Jet, doing no damage. We didn't even break Chesnaught's shield... So that was the most painful ten or so minutes of this week.
Now that I've amassed 999 rock tera shards I think I'm not going to play the last day of this.

Greninja, Meowscarada and Corviknight partners
I think your mistake was even trying with this.
I don't trust people bringing squishy pokemon to a raid, expecially if they don't resist or worst are weak to one of the attacks, unless I already know that they have some kind of weird set that works (see, gardevoir) beforehand.

Ultimately you are going to be tanking a crapton of attacks, and squishy mons are almost guaranteed to die t1 or t2 and possibly more down the line to crits even if you are able to fully debuff the boss.

I know dodging lobbies is toxic and all, but honestly even the swiftest losses end up wasting 5+ mins between lobby, loads and animations, aint got all day for already guaranteed ones.

Iron Bundle? Maybe if Chesnaught didn't have Wood Hammer.

0 Atk Tera Rock Chesnaught Stone Edge/Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Iron Bundle: 168-198 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (I put the /Hammer Arm, no point doing 2 different calculations. They're both stab and have the same power)

0 Atk Tera Rock Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Iron Bundle: 200-236 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And even if you want to factor in the -1 Atk from Chilling Water before Chesnaught's 1st attack Wood Hammer still hits like a freight train

-1 0 Atk Tera Rock Chesnaught Stone Edge/Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Iron Bundle: 110-132 (43.4 - 52.1%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO

-1 0 Atk Tera Rock Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Iron Bundle: 134-158 (52.9 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

There's also the fact IB lacks both recovery and setup so he won't be healing much from Shell Bell unless an ally can drop Chesnaught's Spec Def, in which case you're relying on pure chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)