SM OU Mega Gallade Offensive, looking for suggestions

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Hi all!

I recently came across a Mega Gallade set for SM OU, so I thought, why not give it a go? So I made the team below.

However, I had a battle (don’t have the replay, sorry) and realized my team is hopelessly weak to Mega Charizard X. Four of my six are weak to Earthquake, and Dragon Claw can 2HKO those who aren’t.

What I really need is a team that can cover weaknesses and still perform well.

Let’s get started.

The Star

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
As said, Gallade is the Pokemon I centered this team around, so try not to change it when suggesting changes! I copied and pasted this. You can see here that it is all about physical attack. Swords Dance increases its attack, giving Close Combat, Zen Headbutt and Knock Off even greater power. These attacks are for Fighting, Psychic and Dark -type moves respectively. Knock Off is also really handy for destroying stall as they usually rely on Leftovers for recovery.

The supporters

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Iron Head
Magearna provides the necessary VoltTurn support for Gallade, as well as feeling with Mega Alakazam and opposing Fairy-types. It can also act as a decent Tornadus-T check. Volt Switch is the reason why I chose this set over others, for reasons stated above. It also checks Flying-types, helping Mega Gallade breathe easier. Fluer Cannon is for STAB, Focus Blast for Fighting-type coverage, and Iron Head for attacking opposing Fairy-types. It’s paralysis is also helpful.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly
Landorus-T is my wallbreaker, clearing physically defensive Pokemon my Gallade has trouble with. Stealth Rock is useful for setting up. Swords Dance also increasing its already high Attack, making its attacks Earthquake and Fly even more powerful. Flynium Z makes opposing Pokemon weak to Flying really cower:).

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn
Tapu Koko is here for it’s counter to Flying, a big weakness of Gallade. It is also here to destroy other counters of Gallade, namely Slowbro-Mega and Tornadus-T. If necessary, it can perform as a Sableye-Mega check, though Magearna does it as well. Z-Wild Charge destroys Flying-types, while Hidden Power Ice 2HKOes Landorus-T, though it must watch out for Earthquake. Taunt can ruin certain stall sets, and U-Turn allows it to retreat - and deal damage :).

Other members

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic
It’s just here to check Grass-types that my other Pokemon are weak to, but does it well. Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu are dead if they face it. Magma Storm is it’s Fire-type attack, killing Grass-types. Earth Power functions as Ground-type coverage. Taunt does it’s job here as above; Toxic is to inflict status.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
Last member on this team, Magnezone is here to attack Skarmory and Celesteela certain members of my team are weak to. With Magnet Pull and the ways to destroy them, it can really help. Thunderbolt is the way to go with Skarmory and Celesteela, inflicting SE damage. It’s the same story with Volt Switch, just you can run away as a bonus. HP Fire is another way of attacking Steel-types, and Flash Cannon is for a Steel-type attack.

The threat list
1556879372122.png
Mega Charizard X / any Pokemon with Ground-type coverage / any Ground-type Pokemon.

Mega Charizard X with a boost from Dragon Dance can OHKO/2HKO all the Pokemon in my team with its different coverage moves. Even worse, it has Earthquake, so a real killer.

Ground-types? Four of my Pokemon are weak to them. That is the recipe for a cooked Magearna, Tapu Koko, Heatran and Magnezone. It is really rather sad I can’t find a team with good old Magnet Rise, which eliminates its big 4x weakness to Ground.

That’s it, thanks for reading, and make helpful suggestions!

P.S. Is Mega Gallade, like, the worst Pokemon to base a team around? If it is, I’ll delete this thread, and you don’t have to bother with this noob here :).

Last edited:
Starting off, I'll address this segment:

P.S. Is Mega Gallade, like, the worst Pokemon to base a team around? If it is, I’ll delete this thread, and you don’t have to bother with this noob here
If you ever have any questions on how good a certain pokemon is in any tier, feel free to visit that respective tier's Viability Rankings. If you get there and wonder why certain pokemon are in what subranks, don't hesitate to stop by the Simple Questions and Answers threads for the tier in question. There are plenty of people willing to help, and I'll go ahead and link OU's Viability Rankings and Simple Q&A's threads.

Viability Rankings
Simple Questions and Answers

With that aside, let's get into the rate!

Major Changes

-->

While Magearna did provide a pivot into things like Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele, Tapu Lele provides a form of speed control that provides Mega Gallade with Psychic Terrain support, boosting it's Zen Headbutt to achieve 2HKO's on things it previously could not, such as Clefable. Lele's terrain also blocks priority, such as Greninja's Water Shuriken, and Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack, which makes revenge killing Gallade a little bit more difficult. Lele also has the benefit of weakening things that generally check Gallade, such as Tornadus-Therian, Zapdos, and Landorus-Therian, with Terrain boosted Psychics. In return, Gallade pummels Steel types that answer Lele, such as Celesteela and Jirachi. Overall, Mega Gallade+Tapu Lele is a great offensive core if you're using Gallade, and has more benefits overall then AV Magearna here.

-->

While in it's former state, the team didn't match up well vs Ash Greninja or Heatran, due to the lack of a Water switch-in, or a Heatran answer that could actually switch into it (Heatran doesn't switch into Heatran). The team also lacked a defogger, which is generally a bad idea not to have one. Another thing to note is the team's Stall Matchup wasn't particularly great. All of these issues are either solved or greatly helped by adding Tapu Fini. Tapu Fini obviously defogs away hazards, checks Ash Greninja clicking Dark Pulse and Heatran in general. Having access to arguably the best terrain in my opinion, Misty Terrain, allows it to reliably come in on Toxic variants of Heatran, as Misty Terrain blocks all Status. While this may be a thorn in your side for you trying to status your opponent, it is easily played around. Fini also really annoys stall due to being immune to status basically, and having access to taunt, which stops any status move, such as recovery, wish passing, status, etc. Tapu Fini just adds alot to the team where it was lacking.

-->

Magnezone+Mega Gallade is kinda redundant. Magnezone is support to trap things like Celesteela, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and other problematic steel types. Mega Gallade preys on steel types. You see my point? Anyways, Tangrowth gives this team a solid pivot into water and ground types in general, as well as Kartana somewhat, and Mega Alakazam, due to it's Assault Vest. However, it should be careful of Knock Off Mega Alakazam, as well as mindlessly switching in Tangrowth into an obvious Dark Pulse from Greninja. Tangrowth forms a solid Water/Fire/Grass core with Tapu Fini and Heatran, between the 3 checking the majority of the tier. Sludge Bomb is ran over Knock Off to nail Tapu Bulu, which this team seems to struggle with. Not much more to add here but that.

Minor Changes

-
-->

Flyinium Z Landorus really isn't needed here. That being said, the team also didn't quite like strong fighting types in general, such as Mega Medicham or Mega Lopunny. That's why I opted for defensive Landorus here. Defensive Landorus still gets Stealth Rocks up, but generally improves your Matchup vs things like the aforementioned fighting types, Kartana (switching into Sacred Sword), and opposing Landorus/Garchomp. You had 3 z moves anyways, which you can only use 1 and should only run 1, as generally when not holding a Z crystal, can utilize other items to a better extent then holding an item you can't even use.

Importable and Final Thoughts

Alright, that should be all for this team. I hope you enjoy the team, and if you have any questions about it, feel free to reply or even catch me on Pokemon Showdown, as I'm commonly in the Trainer Academy room. Anyways, click the sprites below for the importable with the changes, and have a great time with the team!

A tip is to use Togekiss because it is immune to earthquake and dragon claw and with a set like this it can enter a stally nightmare against other pokemon:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Ancient Power
- Roost
- Toxic
After one or two Nasty plots it can hit Mega charizard X like a nuke with ancient power toghether with serene grace to maybe get a salty boost. With roost for longevity and toxic for stall togekiss is good against your teams counters
Also maybe if you want give Magnezone Magnet Rise so you can stop ground types probably aimed for heatran and magnezone

A tip is to use Togekiss because it is immune to earthquake and dragon claw and with a set like this it can enter a stally nightmare against other pokemon:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ancient Power
- Roost
- Toxic
After one or two Nasty plots it can hit Mega charizard X like a nuke with ancient power toghether with serene grace to maybe get a salty boost. With roost for longevity and toxic for stall togekiss is good against your teams counters
First, why are you running split defense EVs and not max HP?

Second, a Togekiss without Air Slash is no Togekiss.

Third, Dazzling Gleam hits Mega Zard X just as hard as Ancient Power, has more PP, and (most importantly) actually deals meaningful damage to stuff not weak to Rock.

Fourth, this moveset doesn't even beat Mega Zard X. Any good Mega Zard X set runs Flare Blitz, which 2HKOs any Togekiss.

First, why are you running split defense EVs and not max HP?

Second, a Togekiss without Air Slash is no Togekiss.

Third, Dazzling Gleam hits Mega Zard X just as hard as Ancient Power, has more PP, and (most importantly) actually deals meaningful damage to stuff not weak to Rock.

Fourth, this moveset doesn't even beat Mega Zard X. Any good Mega Zard X set runs Flare Blitz, which 2HKOs any Togekiss.
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ancient Power
- Roost
- Toxic
Also maybe if you want give Magnezone Magnet Rise so you can stop ground types probably aimed for heatran and magnezone
And fifth of all, Togekiss is unviable in OU, and should never be considered for a serious team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)