Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Articuno needs an ability that helps him ward off rock type damage, which would include Stealth Rocks.
I actually strongly disagree with this kind of sentiment. Articuno doesn't need some kind resistance to SR it needs to be worth using even with SR existing. Make Articuno good, good enough to warrant defog or spin support, especially in gen 6 (Charizard) we've seen that through innovation and smart spreads we can make pokemon who have high opportunity cost be worth that cost in the end.

People have said that Snorlax needs Slack Off but it also needs gyro ball or bulk up. I feel like an ability that lets it move while asleep would be good flavorwise and competitively. I also feel like if it changes type dragon is the only reasonable dual type.
Omastar should shed his rock typing for something else.

I actually strongly disagree with this kind of sentiment. Articuno doesn't need some kind resistance to SR it needs to be worth using even with SR existing. Make Articuno good, good enough to warrant defog or spin support, especially in gen 6 (Charizard) we've seen that through innovation and smart spreads we can make pokemon who have high opportunity cost be worth that cost in the end.
I could see that, but Charizard doesn't have a bad weakness to resistance ratio despite 4x Rock. Charizard has the same resistances (doubled no-less) as the ice bird and a few others. Those two resistances are the two most resisted types: grass and bug.

I'm wondering if invoking the power of Inverse mode to a light degree (say an ability that reverses weaknesses and resistances but doesn't touch immunities) would be interesting (Call it... Climate Change, maybe?) No grass or bug would be crazy enough to switch into flying STAB that could easily destroy them before they get a chance to hit with.

Regardless, you'd still need to give it rock removal support unless you Mega early on or you could risk a half health start.

I could see that, but Charizard doesn't have a bad weakness to resistance ratio despite 4x Rock. Charizard has the same resistances (doubled no-less) as the ice bird and a few others. Those two resistances are the two most resisted types: grass and bug.

I'm wondering if invoking the power of Inverse mode to a light degree (say an ability that reverses weaknesses and resistances but doesn't touch immunities) would be interesting (Call it... Climate Change, maybe?) No grass or bug would be crazy enough to switch into flying STAB that could easily destroy them before they get a chance to hit with.

Regardless, you'd still need to give it rock removal support unless you Mega early on or you could risk a half health start.
your ramble has given me an Idea for Articuno. We should just give it Clear Ice.

Agreeing with Valmanway on Flareon- although a STAB Flare Blitz coming off of 130 plus attack would be scary to anything not resisting it :p

I think Omastar could go with either Solid Rock (specially oriented Carracosta anyone?) or maybe Analytic (not sure how this is for flavour, but it could have had to analyze its prey before striking, right?).

Snorlax is a doozy. I made an ability just for fun called Sleepy- it recovers full HP and status upon switching out, but when it enters battle again it's Asleep. (I totally said this first). Borked if you have a cleric, but just an idea. Not sure what else works by way of abilities.

Articuno should just get Snow Warning. The end. Stealth Rock is still a pain though

Last edited:
Articuno's problem is so much more than its SR weakness. It has horrible weaknesses to common physical and special attacking types, making its walling abilities practically worthless. Its typing lets it handle most Water types and Grass types, as well as come in on more defensive Grounds. That's literally about the extent of its switch opportunities (and even then, the likes of Kyurem(-B) completely outclasses it). We could change its typing, but doing so really seems awkward and wrong. Therefore I think it's better to challenge ourselves to work with the Ice/Flying typing.

Apart from its defensive abilities, it has average offenses and speed, with a pretty decent movep ool. Ice Beam and Hurricane are beautiful STAB moves to have, but Articuno has no coverage options apart from HP Ground. Roost and Toxic basically round out its capabilities.

There's no doubt that whatever ability is chosen, it needs to be significant, because however optimised the final stat spread is, it can't make Articuno OU-viable. The abilities I view as possible choices are:
  • Gale Wings. Priority Hurricane and Roost are incredible, and offset offensive Articuno's issues with priority.
  • Illusion. Very much a high risk/reward option; incredibly effective with SR off (imagine pairing it with Keldeo), but almost useless with them up. Makes sense from a flavour standpoint too iirc, given it was supposed to create mirages from ice.
  • Magic Guard. Everyone saw this one coming. It'd drastically boost Cuno's viability, sure, but it doesn't make much sense flavour-wise.
  • Regenerator. Similar to Ho-oh in Ubers, Regenerator Cuno still needs SR off, but it can also perform limited roles with it up. Very much fits the get in, get out mentality which I think will be necessary. Potential to be outclassed by Torn-T, but superior bulk and Ice STAB give it a niche.
  • Sheer Force. Even if we gave it Earth Power / Focus Blast and a significant SAtk boost, it'd be a far worse Lando, although SF Hurricane / Ice Beam are incredible wallbreaking tools.
  • Snow Warning. Not much to say, it's obvious flavour wise. Could pull a horrific SubRoost staller with Hail + Toxic damage, but being walled by Steels, as well as losing Pressure, limits that sets capabilities. Being able to use Blizzard is nice, but not a dealmaker by any means.
Of these, I'd say in terms of competitive viability they'd go Magic Guard ---> Gale Wings ---> Snow Warning ---> Illusion ---> Regenerator ---> Sheer Force.

Articuno's problem is so much more than its SR weakness. It has horrible weaknesses to common physical and special attacking types, making its walling abilities practically worthless. Its typing lets it handle most Water types and Grass types, as well as come in on more defensive Grounds
That's why I'm thinking about swapping weaknesses and resistances without touching immunities: I hope you brought a bug or grass move for SE coverage!

Mmm possibly, although I'm not a fan of complex custom abilities. I'd prefer a retyping before that. Ice/Fighting is godly, whereas Ice/Fairy, Ice/Psychic, even Ice/Ghost are all plausible for Articuno.

Articuno is another pokemon like Vap/Jolt/Flareon which epitomizes its typing. I wouldn't really suggest a retyping but I could be swayed

Yup, which brings us back to my main post - I think submissions absolutely need to use one of those six abilities.

You can't change its typing and you can't give it Magic Guard. We're of course trying to make the Megas OU-worthy, but that doesn't mean you can give Slaking Huge Power.

Snow Warning is a great Ability on Articuno and also makes sense flavor-wise.

Freeze-Dry could also be given for flavor and also competitive purposes.

Giving it Slack Off alone is a huge buff, considering it's going to have a much better Defensive Stats as a Mega.

If you want to go by flavor, you can give it an Ability that auto-induces Sleep every time it's withdrawn (A much, much better Regenerator, but has the drawback of Sleep when it's sent out the next time and has no Leftovers/Berry to help it).

Omastar's Dex Entries are muddled with notifications of how its fangs are very strong and could even open a Shellder (And 'suck out the insides').

Going along this line, Omastar losing points in Special Attack and gaining a lot more in Attack would make a lot of sense.

Ability-wise, try not to give it too powerful, as it already has Shell Smash. Even Shell Armor would be enough.

Flareon is another Pokémon that justifies having an -ate Ability.

Only a little investment in Speed and a lot more in Attack and Special Defense would make sense.

Curse + Last Resort. That is all.

Last edited:
If we're going on flavour then Snow Warning and Gale Wings are basically it. Snow Warning is cool, because it can lend itself to both a defensive and offensive playstyle, whereas Gale Wings would probably just give us a bulkier special Talonflame with an inaccurate STAB.

FireArrow, I'm confident that the abilities I picked are the only existing ones which make any kind of sense which could make Articuno viable. We can give it Aura Sphere and Aeroblast to fix its movepool, we can give it a perfectly focused stat spread, but it still won't see much use without a powerful ability.

If we're going on flavour then Snow Warning and Gale Wings are basically it. Snow Warning is cool, because it can lend itself to both a defensive and offensive playstyle, whereas Gale Wings would probably just give us a bulkier special Talonflame with an inaccurate STAB.

FireArrow, I'm confident that the abilities I picked are the only existing ones which make any kind of sense which could make Articuno viable. We can give it Aura Sphere and Aeroblast to fix its movepool, we can give it a perfectly focused stat spread, but it still won't see much use without a powerful ability.
You're also 100% ruling out custom abilities, though. If the ideas aren't that difficult to code (such as Brute Force) then theres no issue but there is a limit to its complexity (such as theJynx thing that reverses the type chart)

One of Omastar's dex entries states that once it entangles it's prey it never lest go. This would be pretty epic if we made it learn bind and then made his ability make partially trapping moves permanent. It would be hard to pull off but if you do trap something you can take it's Shell Smash city.

I won't be using this however. I have another idea that will completely change Omastar's roll and removes his horrible rock typing.

Also what about Iron Barbs or Spiky Shield for Omastar?

Last edited:
I really want to give Omastar Weak Armour as its ability, as I think it would great flavour. However, making this set seems to just create a more affective Shell Smasher, which I really don't want to do. I also want to keep it specially offensive. I may have to give up on Weak Armour, but I'd rather not. I'm not sure why, but Regenerator seems appropriate. It would encourage a less aggressive play style, but its water/rock typing really isn't doing it any favours defensively.

As for Articuno; Snow Warning seems to be the most flavourful ability on offer, but I'm thinking I might try a custom ability. Most of what I've come up with so far is too complicated or not powerful enough to warrant its use. Maybe I'll watch the second movie or something; get some inspiration.

Sorry to post this again but my Mega Jolteon has the wrong stats (don't even add up to 100). They should be:

HP: 65 -> 65
Atk: 65 -> 65
Def: 60 -> 100 (+40)
SpA: 110 -> 120 (+10)
SpD: 95 -> 125 (+30)
Spe: 130 -> 150 (+20)
BST: 525 -> 625

Thanks.

All of Flareon's dex entries basically talk about him being a living heat generator. It would seem that an -ate ability would be fitting. Not only does it give him the only fire priority in the game (and being a roughly 55 BP STAB off an over 130 Attack stat isn't all that bad) but it also gives him obscenely powerful stabs in Double Edge, Last Resort, and Hyper Voice. Speaking of the latter, it now outdamages Fire Blast, hits through subs, and has MUCH more PP. Given that his special attacking stat would be at least 95, mixed Mega Flareon could easily be viable and have several niches. Mixed Mega Flareon could actually be a viable user of Work Up (which he actually has)

The only moves that he would truly ask for are Solar Beam and Swords Dance. The former because just about every other fire type has it, and the latter because he got screwed in the boosting department. Nobody uses Scary Face.

Sorry to post this again but my Mega Jolteon has the wrong stats (don't even add up to 100). They should be:

HP: 65 -> 65
Atk: 65 -> 65
Def: 60 -> 100 (+40)
SpA: 110 -> 120 (+10)
SpD: 95 -> 125 (+30)
Spe: 130 -> 150 (+20)
BST: 525 -> 625

Thanks.
I would take 10 points from each defenses and increase SpA and Spe.

Regarding Articuno, I've noticed that most of the viable SR-weak pokemon in OU are pretty offensive. Consider, the Mega Charizards, Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, and Talonflame are all offensive and SR weak, just to name a few, while the only defensive SR weak pokemon I can think of off the top of my head are Mandibuzz, Zapdos and (sometimes) Megazard X. Therefore, to make Articuno viable it should probably become much more offensive, assuming it doens't get a retyping that fixes its SR-weakness.
Just my two cents.

Flareon should have Fur Coat, and should be made as a tank imo. Flareon's my favorite pokemon so I'm definitely submitting a mega this round. A little defense, some SpD, and some extra Atk would do wonders for it, along with Wild Charge and Slack Off (Lots of Fire types get Wild Charge, like Arcanine and Emboar, and Mega Flareon would look like a lion imo so Slack Off makes sense.) Idc if you use this, as long as you do Flareon justice. <3

So for the upcoming Megas...

Flareon... how about Sheer Force? Gives it a stronger Flare Blitz. Give it Crunch too, Bite sucks.

Omastar needs better defenses and either Regenerator or Solid Rock. I'm in favor of Regenerator because it's no good to be a tank without any recovery. And that way when it's forced out by Mega Saur, at least it's not for nothing.

I would be inclined to give Fur Coat to Snorlax. He's a hibernating bear (in case people don't know) and bears are pretty furry.

Articuno should stay defensive and get Magic Guard. I just don't see it being made offensive, which is the only way SR-weak 'mons have been viable (Zard, Talonflame, Pinsir).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)