Metagame Mergemons

Some Cool things I saw with Alola Pokemon:

• Wishiwashi now gets recover and fighting coverage from Toxapex and Mudsdale
  • Pyukumuku now gets all Silvally's and Minior's moves. It's maybe not the best on Pyukumuku, but it gets some cool moves like parting shot and swords dance, and shell smash baton pass.
  • Tapu Bulu now gets Sunsteel Strike, Earthquake, Defog, Flare Blitz, and Wild Charge.
  • Guzzlord finally gets recovery, although morning sun isn't the best recovery. It also gets shift gear, but it isn't the best pokemon still.
  • Dhelmise gets roost and dragon dance.
  • Oricorio gets quiver dance and stealth rocks. It also just gets better coverage options for its moves.

Here's your reminder that Shell Smash Kommo-o is a thing and that Battle Tree players have to face it pretty often.
That is exactly what I was referencing. And yet, we don't get that luxury.

So this isn't a one-liner, anything that borders a Legendary is most likely getting incredible moves out of the deal.
Also, Umbreon can now use Roost to reliably take on Tyranitar, etc...

Last edited:
ALL HAIL THE WISH FISH

WISH FISH (Alomomola) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp/Scald/Thunder Wave
- Wish/Recover
- Sticky Web
- Protect/Toxic/filler

I love Alomamola with a passion and seeing the only regenerator wish passer in the game get webs and wisp warms my heart. you can also run recover and some other shenanigans if you want

other things-
-Glalie gets SD and quick attack so you can get a crappy ice type pinsir
-Nihilego is a really weird mon, both offensively and defensively, but my experience in using it on my pokebilites sand team has proven it's usefulness to me as a special wall. that said, it now gets WoW, Roost, and Ghost type special EQ mold breaker edition, it's a mon with shenanigans written all over it, have fun.
-I still can't get over how mudsdale gets recover, but not as much as i can't stand it getting t-spikes
-Quiver dance Blastoise... with roost
-On the not of quiver dance, cobalion might just be gimmicky enough to work as one with roost
-Geomancy Noivern NE1?
-Whimsicott gets prankster sleep powder and has moonblast to deal with dark types. oh joy
-roost registeel is back from BH, complete with defog
-Wishiwashi gets recover, so it can stay in it's viable form

most of these are super gimmicky, but that's because i tend to play for fun more so than to win, i will be using all of these sets if i can find the chance to play this (maybe minus the glalie set)

Bow before your god.
Numel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defense
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam/Ancient Power
If your opponent has no priority, kill everyone. If they do, suffer or use Terrain Extender Tapu Lele.
TBH Camerupt probably does this better in some situations but thanks to the extra boosts Numel ends up being faster than stuff like Tapu Koko and Pheromosa while Camerupt is still outsped. This is a gimmick anyway, may as well make it a fun one.

Also, Sharpedo can use Z-Splash now. Fun.
Assuming Pokemon get the moves their pre-evolution gets, then Snorlax gets access to Extreme Speed and High Jump Kick as Munchlax is next to Riolu/Lucario, which makes it a better Linoone if you consider Belly Drum Gluttony + 50% healing berry. Tyranitar also gets Extreme Speed.

Last edited:
Bow before your god.
Numel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defense
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam/Ancient Power
If your opponent has no priority, kill everyone. If they do, suffer or use Terrain Extender Tapu Lele.
TBH Camerupt probably does this better in some situations but thanks to the extra boosts Numel ends up being faster than stuff like Tapu Koko and Pheromosa while Camerupt is still outsped. This is a gimmick anyway, may as well make it a fun one.

Also, Sharpedo can use Z-Splash now. Fun.
Assuming Pokemon get the moves their pre-evolution gets, then Snorlax gets access to Extreme Speed and High Jump Kick as Munchlax is next to Riolu/Lucario, which makes it a better Linoone if you consider Belly Drum Gluttony + 50% healing berry. Tyranitar also gets Extreme Speed.
That's not how it works, though. FE 'mons don't get the moves that their NFEs get; it actually works the opposite way. NFEs get the moves of what they evolve INTO.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Oh my. I love the concept of this meta.

Some thoughts :
- Tornadus gets Nasty Plot and Nature Power + Prankster.
- Diancie gets... a lot of new moves. Now you can run a fully physical set with Diamond Storm / Thousand Arrows / Dragon Dance / Extremespeed.
- Talonflame gets Hurricane, fighting type coverage, Quiver Dance, Work Up and some other things like Sleep Powder... I'm thinking about a mixed set with Brave Bird and Hurricane + a Flyinium Z, but that's just a gimmick.
- Aromatisse gets King's Shield, prepare for stall shenanigans.
- Octillery gets Happy Hour (Z-Happy Hour boosts all your stats by one stage) and Frost Breath + Sniper... too bad : even with a Timid Nature and 252 Speed EVs, it can only reach 310 speed at +1.
- Regigigas finally gets Protect ! And also Shadow Force !... i'm still not sure if it will be good.
- Meloetta gets Techno Blast, Extremespeed and Secret Sword... wow.
- Galvantula also gets Blizzard, so a set with Blizzard / Thunder / Sticky Web / Stealth Rocks may be a thing.
- Kartana gets a nice coverage, now it's just scary.

... Well, i'm running out of ideas.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Some priority for y'all to chew on.

mike pinsir (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance / Return
- Close Combat

And the prize for best revenge killer goes to Pinsir! Look at that lovely Fake Out + Quick Attack combo, complete with Aerilate making it a nice type AND giving it a damage boost! Swords Dance and Close Combat complete the set by allowing Pinsir to sweep and not be entirely walled by every flying resist under the sun.

kinda a meme (Raticate-Alola) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off
- Spectral Thief

Lol Hustle Fakespeed. Spectral Thief makes this a nice surprise sweep stopper, so make sure to keep the hazards off the ground (Defog Reuniclus maybe?). I'd have liked to use something better but this rat is in a sweet spot between Marshadow and Raichu-Alola, and boy is it happy about it. Is it viable? Maybe not. But it's nowhere near as awful as it is in standard.

Also I'll ask again: Why are the Alolan formes done so strangely? Why are they at the end? Their dex numbers are the same as the normal formes, what is the reasoning bethind putting them at the end? It confuses a lot of people.

Cool meta, I like. Focusing on new threats, I'm sure most of the old gen pokemon I could post about were addressed in the gen 6 thread.

Komala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Solar Beam

Yup, it's this shit. Get up hazards and then phaze the opponents at 376 Speed. I believe one of the main reasons AAA banned Comatose was because of this strategy. Komala is not very fast but ideally you can get up Sticky Web to make things easier, or you can Baton Pass Speed boosts. Being able to inflict 16 ticks of Stealth Rock damage on your opponent can be really devastating for offensive teams, although bulkier teams with Regenerator mons and no big rocks weaknesses can usually handle it. That being said there's also priority to worry about, as well as Magic Bounce. Also, Solar Beam is the only move it gets that isn't called by Sleep Talk. Unless I missed something really obvious.

Bewear @ Assault Vest
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Return

Assault Vest is a little scrubby but I think it's a solid item for a Fake Out user to run and it makes Bewear really bulky overall. These new moves are generally a good improvement over standard Bewear and makes it actually kinda viable, although it wishes it had healing. It can run Synthesis from Tsareena but I'm talking Drain Punch or something. There are probably better choices for dedicated priority users (Fake Out M-Pinsir tbh) but being able to tank hits is pretty good. It also gets U-Turn for pivoting and Poison Jab for fairies, or Rapid Spin even.

Raticate-Alola @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out / Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch
- Close Combat / Fire Punch / Ice Punch

By far the strongest FakeSpeeder. I think it's stronger than all possible other FakeSpeeders even if it doesn't run Hustle, thanks to STAB. So yeah I'd say it's definitely viable, 80% of the time. Its power is really quite insane: assuming both Fake Out and Extreme Speed connect it can knock out threats such as Latios from full before they even have the chance to move. However Hustle is a bitch and missing will often be its downfall. Knock Off is better than Crunch and Close Combat rounds off Raticate's coverage pretty well. Fire Punch hits different Steel types harder. Ice Punch for remove genie. It also has Spectral Thief but it's pretty poor coverage, and is probably better off just revenging things with priority.

Cosmoem @ Eviolite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Nature's Madness

Cosmoem is about as bulky as Dusclops and has a very wide movepool, seeing as it gains the moves of Tapu Fini, Solgaleo, Lunala, and Nihilego. This gives it access to a variety of moves that can be used defensively, like Stealth Rock, Roost, Defog, Toxic Spikes, Trick Room, Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, Nature's Madness, Night Shade, Metal Burst, Roar, and Haze. The main failing points is that it has practically nonexistent offenses and a bad typing, but all these moves set it apart tbh, just by comparing it to Cresselia or Necrozma they don't have nearly this many options.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shore Up
- Parting Shot
- Poison Fang / Infestation
- Thunder Wave

Pyukumuku has a niche as a super-slow Parting Shot user, allowing it to be an amazing pivot. Parting Shot hits through Substitutes, letting Pyukumuku get around its one true nemesis. Shore Up is strictly better than Recover. Thunder Wave is pretty neat for Pyukumuku, as even after hitting something with a Thunder Wave Pyukumuku will almost always still be slower, letting you bring in something safely. Poison Fang lets you not be Tauntbait and inflict Toxic all in one slot. Infestation is probably better as a damage dealing option, but it still can't beat anything with recovery 1v1 as it's too slow of a Taunt user.

Why are the Alolan formes done so strangely? Why are they at the end? Their dex numbers are the same as the normal formes, what is the reasoning bethind putting them at the end? It confuses a lot of people.
I did that for diversity reasons; otherwise the Alolan forms would just get the normal moves of their normal forms, most of which they already get. This mixes things up a bit.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A long list of threats:
  • Maractus now gets Shell Smash and Flamethrower
  • Gardevoir now gets Quiver Dance and Roost
  • Marowak-Alola now gets Sleep Powder(ouch)
  • Pangoro now gets Milk Drink, Sucker Punch, and Leech Seed
  • Garchomp now gets Extreme Speed
  • Kartana now gets Iron Head, Explosion, and Earthquake
  • Klefki now gets Destiny Bond, Leech Seed, and Will-O-Wisp
  • Archeops now gets Shell Smash (with Head Smash/Stone Miss/Rock Slide and White Herb boosted Acrobatics? Count me in)
  • Scizor now gets Shell Smash and Fell Stinger (SmashPass anyone?)
  • Gengar now gets Shell Smash
  • Bewear now gets High jump Kick and Z-Splash (ouch)
  • Turtonator now gets Nuzzle, Volt Switch, Spiky Shield, Encore, Wish, and Rapid Spin
  • Sableye(Mega) now gets Baton Pass, Taunt, and Stealth Rock
  • Shaymin now gets Nasty Plot, Judgement, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Focus Blast
  • Magearna now gets Spectral Thief (very important for all of the boosting mons)

Last edited:
As a note to the above post, Marowak gets Swords Dance normally. But a sleep move is quite a terrifying addition to the powerful bone-wielder.
Smashpassing would be a thing, but OU does have a Baton Pass clause to put a stop to that nonsense.

Also, speaking of that point... Malamar now gets Shell Smash, which is hilarious.

...But I actually want to speak about the Pokémon right next to it... Barbaracle.

Yes, that Shell Smasher that a ton of good people just plain forgot about. He's back, and is now incredibly interesting.

From Malamar's side, it gets Trick, a few contact moves that we probably don't care about (you can risk Cross Chop, right?) and Topsy-Turvy. It is only one of a mere FOUR that can get it now. And Hitmontop has better things to be doing. But this might have use on a Sash set either ending a sweep or starting your own.

From Dragalge's side... it actually has a DECENT physical movepool, believe it or not. Play Rough, Outrage, Gunk Shot, Waterfall... there's some good moves on display here. And you also get free Toxic Spikes out of the deal. Barbaracle, as a result of all this, becomes incredibly versatile...

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Also, speaking of that point... Malamar now gets Shell Smash, which is hilarious.
It also gets Belly Drum; not like it can really use it, though.
...But I actually want to speak about the Pokémon right next to it... Barbaracle.

Yes, that Shell Smasher that a ton of good people just plain forgot about. He's back, and is now incredibly interesting.

From Malamar's side, it gets Trick, a few contact moves that we probably don't care about (you can risk Cross Chop, right?) and Topsy-Turvy. It is only one of a mere FOUR that can get it now. And Hitmontop has better things to be doing. But this might have use on a Sash set either ending a sweep or starting your own.

From Dragalge's side... it actually has a DECENT physical movepool, believe it or not. Play Rough, Outrage, Gunk Shot, Waterfall... there's some good moves on display here. And you also get free Toxic Spikes out of the deal. Barbaracle, as a result of all this, becomes incredibly versatile...
Barbacle has a crippling 68 speed, though, so it would be hard for it to find an opportunity to smash.

We're probably going to see high usage of Clefable due to its ability Unaware, especially since so many pokemon now have Shell Smash. Prankster Taunt is also good to stop boosters in their tracks.

Cool concept, but some pokemons get godlike moves...
Also Water Spout Sharpedo hype

- Dugtrio now has Sleep Powder. pls ban
- FAKE OUT PINSIR AND FAKE OUT GOLEM-ALOLA HYPE
- Swampert get a divine movepool, but still doesn't have Recover. A Bulk Up set could work?
- Ambipom can kill Steel Types with Bulldoze, but it's still crap.
- Magnezone now doesn't have to rely on HP Fire to kill Steel Types.
- Serperior get a better offensive movepool. It also get Scald lol.
EDIT : I know it has Superpower, Overheat and V-Create, but Serperior has a shit movepool (Literally STABs, Aqua Tail, Hidden Power, Dragon Pulse and Knock Off).
- Escavalier now has Spore and reliable recovery.
- Silvally and Type:Null gets Recover, Shell Smash, Baton Pass and Stealth Rock.

Last edited:
Cool concept, but some pokemons get godlike moves...
Also Water Spout Sharpedo hype

- Dugtrio now has Sleep Powder. pls ban
Sleep trapping will probably be banned
- FAKE OUT PINSIR AND FAKE OUT GOLEM-ALOLA HYPE
HAIPU
- Swampert get a divine movepool, but still doesn't have Recover. A Bulk Up set could work?
I think it gets Synthesis now, though.
- Ambipom can kill Steel Types with Bulldoze, but it's still crap.
D O N T U S E A M B I P O M
- Magnezone now doesn't have to rely on HP Fire to kill Steel Types.
- Serperior get a better offensive movepool. It also get Scald lol.
Dude, you're ignoring OVERHEAT, V-CREATE, AND SUPERPOWER.
- Escavalier now has Spore and reliable recovery.
- Silvally and Type:Null gets Recover, Shell Smash, Baton Pass and Stealth Rock.

Wait, why do Alolan Forms have seperate slots? Just curious.

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast

A potent calm mind abuser, courtesy of Hoopa and Decidueye.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Alolan forms have different movepools from the originals. My options would be either consolidating the Alolan and normal forms, which would also consolidate their movepools; putting the Alolan forms next to the normal ones, which would basically be pointless; and what I did.
To be honest consolidating the movepools feels the least arbitrary out of all of them. Or even just giving each of them the same gained moves but keep their base movepools the same, as they occupy the same space in the pokedex order and thus should theoretically share with the same pokemon.

Rip fakespeed Raticate tho

To be honest consolidating the movepools feels the least arbitrary out of all of them. Or even just giving each of them the same gained moves but keep their base movepools the same, as they occupy the same space in the pokedex order and thus should theoretically share with the same pokemon.

Rip fakespeed Raticate tho
Oh, that actually seems smart. I'll see what I'm going to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)