Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would just like to second Kingler12345 in the view of Trapinch being fairly balanced. As I’ve been playing, I’ve noticed that seeing Trapinch (and also Diglett to an extent) on the opposing team does change the way I think about my gameplan - if I’m running sun, I can’t just throw out Vulpix turn one and pivot out to Mudbray turn two like I usually do. However, that’s not a bad thing - it’s the same as having to not KO something with Vullaby because the opponent has a Shellder he’s waiting to set up.

Don’t want to be long-winded so I’ll just say that my experience playing against Trapinch as a person who never uses it has been about the same as playing against any other good mon. I do not think it is broken even if it can revenge my Cherubi / Pony-Galar 100% for free 100% of the time because then I just bring in Mudbray / Corphish / Vullaby / Fetch / you name it, like I planned to at the start of the game (having planned what Pinch would likely trap and knowing what goes in next). Trapinch and Diglett are good, but they are balanced by frailty and speed respectively and narrow movepools inclusively.

In all honesty, even though there are so many good Pokemon right now, I haven’t felt that anything is really outright broken. Yes, birds / Cutie / Pinch / webs / sun are really good, but to me the meta seems very raw and surprisingly balanced. I never feel like I lose from team preview to anything (except that one time I found Frillish / Snover running sun on the ladder) and things seem to be in a good spot. Let’s be patient and level-headed!

and if there is something we need to ban, let’s use solid, consistent reasoning and meta game knowledge!

love little cup

BurntZebra

The point is that z-ground onix is irrelevant to the discussion because your argument was that trapinch could trap onix "more easily" now, which is pretty vague. Z onix was a worse check to birds, was worse defensively against most threats (fighters etc), and also was incredibly obvious from even vull uturn rolls. It wasn't very hard to use uturn vull into trapinch to trap onix regardless, so just because you can't hard switch in trapinch to onix every time into trapinch doesn't mean the extra effort isn't marginal regardless. Trapinch still finds it harder to switch in on +1 onix, so it can't directly switch in at the very least. Yes, you can switch in trapinch as soon as onix is in, but this is incredibly exploitable especially vs a slow mon. Using your own argument about flying-types being so hard to switch into, trapinch is a massive liability against these flying-types. Unless you switch in trapinch on the first turn and onix gets a DD off, trapinch can't switch in anymore. Or are we assuming that having to sac a mon vs a +1 onix just to get it trapped by trapinch (enjoy SR on your side btw) is a reasonable trade? Btw I'm not sure why a trapinch team from 2017 (when it was maybe B at best, funny how things change) is relevant to your argument, but regardless that was an aside so I'll let that go.

The trapinch trapping diglett argument doesn't make much sense to me. If I'm the diglett user, I'm probably letting it be countertrapped by trapinch when I've already trapped what I need to. That's not a terrible trade for the diglett user, especially considering diglett can run protect to block FI (which is why i made the point about feint/protect being less common). It also leaves the trapinch user at low hp, meaning it's probably useless and the free switch lets threats like Cutiefly, Wingull, Vull or a mon faster than it (there are a lot!) come in for free and get a hit off.

I never said Chinchou countered Vullaby or Rufflet, I said it counters Wingull (probably one of the worst offenders). I agree that it does not counter vullaby or rufflet, although it does gain momentum on them and can switch into scarf brave bird fine (still important). My point was about Chinchou wrt trapinch and not Vullaby or Rufflet

Regarding your list of things Trapinch traps, I'm confused again. Why does a sun team need to trap ferro (cherubi has weather ball and vulpix is fire-type, walling one sun abuser in oddish (which it doesn't really threaten without TWave, mind you) isn't great cause to run Trapinch on sun
How does trapinch trap oddish lol??? First impression doesn't do much to evio, and giga drain from oddish is super effective. The "minimizing collateral" argument isn't very relevant because you should focus on banning what's broken, not working off a post-trapinch ban meta to try to arbitrarily minimize bans. It goes against our tiering policy and how voters/councils should make their decisions...
I still don't get how you don't realize that onix is more prone to being trapped in gen 8 than in gen 7 by trapinch. That is literally the only point I am trying to make. Whether onix is worse vs fighters or not is irrelevant to the conversation. Onix could run 36 defense evs to bluff eviolite from uturn vullaby anyways if you really wanted to. In gen 8, without fail, trapinch is able to switch in vs onix every time and trap it. There is no secret tech option to have onix beat trapinch other than doubling out when trapinch tries to come in. I don't know why you're having this hypothetical scenario where I'm letting onix set up and I'm not sending in trapinch right away. I guess trapinch doesn't trap pawniard either because I clicked swords dance and you didn't go straight to trapinch, so now trapinch dies if it tries to hard switch in.

As seen by your ekans game today, trapinch isn't that much of a liability to flying types, seeing as it is able to run rock slide, which does a lot of damage to drifloon and other flying types if they can't score the ko on trapinch, which is definitely plausible if trapinch kills an onix or diglett with giga drain.

What sets trapinch apart from diglett is trapinch's bulk and potential recovery with giga drain, which allows trapinch to theoretically get multiple kills in a game. You've admitted that a diglett has done its role after revenge killing one mon in a game, but this is not the case for trapinch, as counter trapping trapinch is more difficult due to its bulk and giga drain recovery. Even if you run protect on diglett to block first impression, the giga drain recovery results in a net damage of 5 from a life orb earthquake.

A sun team has a few potential stops that I mentioned in a previous post. Mareanie is a potential roadblock for cherubi/vulpix. Trapinch can trap mareanie in sun barring a scald burn or iron defense. Oddish is a better abuser of sun than cherubi due to its typing and ability to sleep bulky threats. I didn't say trapinch trapped oddish, perhaps my wording wasn't the best, but I was saying trapinch trapped ferroseed for oddish to sweep, seeing as oddish does not have coverage for ferroseed. And as has been mentioned several other times already, trapinch is able to trap munchlax and pawniard, which are potential nuisances to sun teams.

My stance on the current LC tier is that there is a group of pokemon that all benefit from the support provided by trapinch. I don't believe that cutiefly or vulpix are more broken than trapinch. If banning trapinch shifts the meta into a state of balance without any other bans, that seems more preferable to me than banning everything that trapinch supports.

BurntZebra

I still don't get how you don't realize that onix is more prone to being trapped in gen 8 than in gen 7 by trapinch. That is literally the only point I am trying to make. Whether onix is worse vs fighters or not is irrelevant to the conversation. Onix could run 36 defense evs to bluff eviolite from uturn vullaby anyways if you really wanted to. In gen 8, without fail, trapinch is able to switch in vs onix every time and trap it. There is no secret tech option to have onix beat trapinch other than doubling out when trapinch tries to come in. I don't know why you're having this hypothetical scenario where I'm letting onix set up and I'm not sending in trapinch right away. I guess trapinch doesn't trap pawniard either because I clicked swords dance and you didn't go straight to trapinch, so now trapinch dies if it tries to hard switch in.
Z-Ground onix is either relevant or it isn't. If we're going to completely ignore how it functioned in the meta, maybe it is entirely is irrelevant to the conversation (you brought it up in the first place).

As seen by your ekans game today, trapinch isn't that much of a liability to flying types, seeing as it is able to run rock slide, which does a lot of damage to drifloon and other flying types if they can't score the ko on trapinch, which is definitely plausible if trapinch kills an onix or diglett with giga drain.
My game today was a complete outlier (did you see the replay?), his floon set didn't have berry juice so he had no staying power, and he happened to be just within rock slide ko range. My opponent was also running Acid Spray Ferro, so I don't think that game is a great representation of the metagame we'll see in SPL. I hope you'd agree that WP floon is pretty suboptimal. That's not how the Trapinch-Floon interaction usually goes anyway, trapinch isn't at full and usually needs to preserve hp for the thing it's trapping regardless (and usually won't win that 1v1 switching in). Also, floon usually has wisp and wins. I'm sure you've noticed this in your games too but like yes, the trapinch switch-in when I have onix out is INCREDIBLY obvious. If I have, say, head smash onix against your vullaby, yes, the onix user might even expect a hard switch to trapinch. The flip side is that the switch is incredibly obvious. Not only can the Onix user double, he can also just set up rocks and try to trade HP. I don't know why you think Onix is so helpless in this interaction; in fact, Evio Onix isn't even KOed by Giga Drain from full, you'd need quick attack or Feint to finish onix off at 1 HP (lacking which, onix doesn't even get a terrible trade). The lack of knock being everywhere means BJ endure is probably still okay. This is not to mention that Trapinch wants a LOT of moves and Giga Drain is basically just a fuck you to Onix so you can have a little more hp as Trapinch. The fact that Trapinch can trap threats like Onix, Diglett, and Pawniard doesn't give it enough offensive utility to make it broken.

What sets trapinch apart from diglett is trapinch's bulk and potential recovery with giga drain, which allows trapinch to theoretically get multiple kills in a game. You've admitted that a diglett has done its role after revenge killing one mon in a game, but this is not the case for trapinch, as counter trapping trapinch is more difficult due to its bulk and giga drain recovery. Even if you run protect on diglett to block first impression, the giga drain recovery results in a net damage of 5 from a life orb earthquake.
Theoretically is correct, I haven't really seen games where Trapinch ends up trapping more than a mon from replays even. If you wanted to provide replays between high-level players of this happening, feel free, but the fact that ther eisn't even evidence for this makes your argument pretty shaky. Are you ignoring the fact that Trapinch needs to either 1) have its evio and be at decent hp or 2) not have its evio and be are pretty high HP to countertrap diglett in the first place? Or does the trapinch user freely get all its hp back every time it traps something (keep in mind the targets you could be trapping could be low, so for example you're not healing up on even a 60% diglett that much).

236 Atk Life Orb Diglett Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 12-16 (52.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Diglett Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 76 Def Trapinch: 19-23 (82.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Trapinch also gets in that LO diglett ko range often enough, and especially if you're trapping Pawniard, Diglett's probably the one countertrapping you. So, yeah, a slightly increased consistency in countertrapping (not even a great trade because protect blocks FI) to me doesn't push Trapinch over the edge. I think the selling point of COUNTERTRAPPING (not even trapping a relevant defensive threat, countertrapping something that has already done its job) isn't one of Trapinch's most important functions regardless, and is a very balanced aspect of Trapinch's existence.

A sun team has a few potential stops that I mentioned in a previous post. Mareanie is a potential roadblock for cherubi/vulpix. Trapinch can trap mareanie in sun barring a scald burn or iron defense. Oddish is a better abuser of sun than cherubi due to its typing and ability to sleep bulky threats. I didn't say trapinch trapped oddish, perhaps my wording wasn't the best, but I was saying trapinch trapped ferroseed for oddish to sweep, seeing as oddish does not have coverage for ferroseed. And as has been mentioned several other times already, trapinch is able to trap munchlax and pawniard, which are potential nuisances to sun teams.
LC never really had trapinch as a necessity for sun teams ever. If anything, diglett is more useful on sun teams. Mareanie isn't useful to trap becasue it has to Recover on vulpix, is setup bait for oddish, and easily gets 2hkoed by LO solarbeam from cherubi (also sun weakens scald, and oddish clears TSpikes). Oddish might be a better abuser, but you running Cherubi is important because you can't run 2 Oddish (Species Clause). You can run vulpix, oddish, and cherubi on the same team easily; in fact, I'd recommend it because it probably makes your team better/more broken. Also, I understand what you meant now, but why is trapping even useful for sun teams??? You can easily run something that hard counters ferro, hazard clearing is in a great place right now thanks to Fetch and Timburr, and Ferro lets in Cherubi and Vulpix, which always run moves to OHKO it. Trapping these threats isn't even useful and the fact that you're trying to use sun of all things as an argument for Trapinch being broken makes me feel like you don't really understand how sun works.

Z-Ground onix is either relevant or it isn't. If we're going to completely ignore how it functioned in the meta, maybe it is entirely is irrelevant to the conversation (you brought it up in the first place).
Z ground onix is relevant to the conversation regarding its ability to have counterplay against trapinch. Z ground onix and its worse matchup vs mienfoo is not relevant to the conversation.

My game today was a complete outlier (did you see the replay?), his floon set didn't have berry juice so he had no staying power, and he happened to be just within rock slide ko range. My opponent was also running Acid Spray Ferro, so I don't think that game is a great representation of the metagame we'll see in SPL. I hope you'd agree that WP floon is pretty suboptimal. That's not how the Trapinch-Floon interaction usually goes anyway, trapinch isn't at full and usually needs to preserve hp for the thing it's trapping regardless (and usually won't win that 1v1 switching in). Also, floon usually has wisp and wins. I'm sure you've noticed this in your games too but like yes, the trapinch switch-in when I have onix out is INCREDIBLY obvious. If I have, say, head smash onix against your vullaby, yes, the onix user might even expect a hard switch to trapinch. The flip side is that the switch is incredibly obvious. Not only can the Onix user double, he can also just set up rocks and try to trade HP. I don't know why you think Onix is so helpless in this interaction; in fact, Evio Onix isn't even KOed by Giga Drain from full, you'd need quick attack or Feint to finish onix off at 1 HP (lacking which, onix doesn't even get a terrible trade). The lack of knock being everywhere means BJ endure is probably still okay. This is not to mention that Trapinch wants a LOT of moves and Giga Drain is basically just a fuck you to Onix so you can have a little more hp as Trapinch. The fact that Trapinch can trap threats like Onix, Diglett, and Pawniard doesn't give it enough offensive utility to make it broken.
The drifloon never went below 50%, so berry juice would not have popped even if he had it. Admittedly, substitute+berry juice drifloon would have avoided dying on that turn, but drifloon still takes significant damage from trapinch after BJ pops.
36+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifloon: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (mixed drifloon)
36+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 36 HP / 4 Def Drifloon: 20-24 (76.9 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (special attacking drifloon)

Onix trading hp vs trapinch is not really possible, since onix earthquake is doing 30% to 43% to eviolite trapinch, and trapinch heals back 43% from giga drain. If onix elects to earthquake twice and not get rocks up, the trapinch may not be as successful in trapping another pokemon, but trapinch removed onix and stopped stealth rocks from getting on the field, which many of trapinch's partners in crime would greatly appreciate (cutiefly, vulpix, flying types). In some scenarios, trapinch does not even need to take damage to trap, as it is able to outspeed munchlax and ferroseed, with the appropriate ev spread.

The doubling argument is really weak, as that argument can be applied to every trapper ever. Oh this person has a gothita and I have my mareanie in, I'll double out my mareanie every single time it comes in so gothita can't trap it, great! The existence of trappers from team preview alters the competitive dynamic of the game. If I see my opponent has a vullaby and trapinch, I know I can't safely go to my onix vs vullaby, as it can easily uturn to trapinch. If I lead onix against vullaby, then I am forced to either let trapinch come in and trap me, or I can switch out my onix against the thing that it's supposed to counter, so that I don't get trapped that turn.

So trapinch is able to trap onix, diglett, pawniard, ferroseed, spritzee, munchlax, and onix, but that doesn't give it enough offensive utility to make it broken to you. What would make it broken in your opinion? Obviously gothita has the advantage of being able to switch into ferroseed and spritzee, but the variety of things that trapinch is able to trap suggests to me that trapinch offers a similar level of offensive support that gothita was able to.

Theoretically is correct, I haven't really seen games where Trapinch ends up trapping more than a mon from replays even. If you wanted to provide replays between high-level players of this happening, feel free, but the fact that ther eisn't even evidence for this makes your argument pretty shaky. Are you ignoring the fact that Trapinch needs to either 1) have its evio and be at decent hp or 2) not have its evio and be are pretty high HP to countertrap diglett in the first place? Or does the trapinch user freely get all its hp back every time it traps something (keep in mind the targets you could be trapping could be low, so for example you're not healing up on even a 60% diglett that much).

236 Atk Life Orb Diglett Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 12-16 (52.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Diglett Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 76 Def Trapinch: 19-23 (82.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Trapinch also gets in that LO diglett ko range often enough, and especially if you're trapping Pawniard, Diglett's probably the one countertrapping you. So, yeah, a slightly increased consistency in countertrapping (not even a great trade because protect blocks FI) to me doesn't push Trapinch over the edge. I think the selling point of COUNTERTRAPPING (not even trapping a relevant defensive threat, countertrapping something that has already done its job) isn't one of Trapinch's most important functions regardless, and is a very balanced aspect of Trapinch's existence.
Trapinch has increased ability to get multiple kills, as it gained access to first impression, which is a lot stronger than its previous priority in feint and quick attack. Trapinch forces the use of protect on multiple mons, like ponyta-g, cherubi, diglett, and drilbur. Even if these mons run protect to avoid getting directly trapped by first impression trapinch, these pokemon are limited in their moveset just by trapinch existing in the meta. Perhaps you could argue that is a good thing? But I am not convinced that ponyta running protect instead of calm mind or morning sun or another coverage move is a positive effect on the meta.

When I did my calculations in trapinch vs diglett, I assumed diglett was in range of first impression (around 77%). In this scenario, diglett protects on the first impression to avoid being killed without attacking. Then diglett attacks with earthquake, doing 12 damage to eviolite trapinch, and then trapinch giga drains for 14 damage, recovering 7 hp in the process, with a net result of 5 damage taken on trapinch.

The interaction between diglett and trapinch is an interesting one. Both are potentially trapped by each other depending on remaining HP values. Historically, the rise of trapinch usage has caused a relative decrease in diglett usage, which makes trapinch even better, as it has less opportunity to be countertrapped. The concept of countertrapping diglett isn't necessarily one of the driving reasons for my stance on trapinch, but is worth taking into consideration when looking at the impact trapinch has on the meta.

LC never really had trapinch as a necessity for sun teams ever. If anything, diglett is more useful on sun teams. Mareanie isn't useful to trap becasue it has to Recover on vulpix, is setup bait for oddish, and easily gets 2hkoed by LO solarbeam from cherubi (also sun weakens scald, and oddish clears TSpikes). Oddish might be a better abuser, but you running Cherubi is important because you can't run 2 Oddish (Species Clause). You can run vulpix, oddish, and cherubi on the same team easily; in fact, I'd recommend it because it probably makes your team better/more broken. Also, I understand what you meant now, but why is trapping even useful for sun teams??? You can easily run something that hard counters ferro, hazard clearing is in a great place right now thanks to Fetch and Timburr, and Ferro lets in Cherubi and Vulpix, which always run moves to OHKO it. Trapping these threats isn't even useful and the fact that you're trying to use sun of all things as an argument for Trapinch being broken makes me feel like you don't really understand how sun works.
Mareanie is not forced to recover vs vulpix at all. Mareanie is 4hko'ed by flamethrower/energy ball and is able to 2hko vulpix with sludge wave. Mareanie is able to check cherubi, as it lives a +2 solarbeam from eviolite cherubi and does 86% with sludge wave. Oddish does a lot better vs mareanie, as it is not weak to sludge wave and can sleep mareanie, but the ever so ubiquitous ferroseed handles oddish very well. Sure you could run a "hard counter" to ferroseed (side note: what would that be? not much comes to mind that doesn't mind paralysis or getting knocked off or taking some bullet seeds), but ferroseed is free to switch out and preserve itself until oddish is dead. Sun teams generally hate thunder wave, as everything is reliant on speed.

Trapinch isn't limited to supporting one archetype, just like it wasn't limited to supporting just gastbra in SM LC. While the sun archetype doesn't *need* trapinch, you can't deny that it gets significant benefit from ferroseed or mareanie or munchlax being removed.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mareanie is not forced to recover vs vulpix at all. Mareanie is 4hko'ed by flamethrower/energy ball and is able to 2hko vulpix with sludge wave. Mareanie is able to check cherubi, as it lives a +2 solarbeam from eviolite cherubi and does 86% with sludge wave. Oddish does a lot better vs mareanie, as it is not weak to sludge wave and can sleep mareanie, but the ever so ubiquitous ferroseed handles oddish very well. Sure you could run a "hard counter" to ferroseed (side note: what would that be? not much comes to mind that doesn't mind paralysis or getting knocked off or taking some bullet seeds), but ferroseed is free to switch out and preserve itself until oddish is dead. Sun teams generally hate thunder wave, as everything is reliant on speed.

Trapinch isn't limited to supporting one archetype, just like it wasn't limited to supporting just gastbra in SM LC. While the sun archetype doesn't *need* trapinch, you can't deny that it gets significant benefit from ferroseed or mareanie or munchlax being removed.
Just a quick comment on the sun part of your post:
  1. You are correct in that Mareanie beats Vulpix and does well against Oddish and Cherubi. Trapping it is probably the one role Trapinch does best on a sun team, but in reality a Pokémon like Onix or Mudbray in the sun does just as well and can compress roles with Stealth Rock and so on.
  2. If you’ve been playing LC for a while you should know that Timburr (and especially Guts Timburr) is a very, very hard counter to Ferroseed. It also just so happens to provide Defog support and take care of Munchlax, making it a much better choice for sun than Trapinch in these roles.
  3. Trapinch does not do anything for a well-built sun team that other Pokémon cannot do at the same time while filling other roles. Its role on sun teams is minimal and should not be a primary consideration in its suspect case.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with your points about trapinch. Now in SS, onix lost any ability to avoid getting trapped by trapinch with the removal of z moves. Pawniard lost knock off, which means it needs to rely on an iron head flinch to not get killed by trapinch. Once these are removed, there is little stopping the onslaught of flying types.

In addition to supporting flying types, trapinch is also able to support cutiefly and sun, by trapping munchlax and ferroseed, 2 of the only reliable cutiefly answers. Trapinch finds itself being able to support offensive mons in almost every matchup and if it can't trap anything on the opposing team, it seems unlikely that the other team would have any answers to cutiefly, sun abusers, or flying types. While a lot of the things that trapinch supports are also potentially banworthy further down the line (sun, cutiefly, maybe even vullaby/corphish), I think it is pretty clear that trapinch provides a level of support to too many mons without any reasonable counterplay to it.

======================================================

Onix has no chance vs giga drain trapinch in this meta. Dragon dance doesn't help since trapinch either kos onix cleanly, or it recovers 40% of its health putting it outside of the range of being ko'ed by onix. If a person has trapinch and you have an onix, onix has no way of avoiding being trapped by trapinch.

I feel like you're underestimating the support that trapinch can provide to a team. Trapinch is able to support sun teams, by trapping ferroseed for oddish. Trapinch is able to support cutiefly, ponyta-g, and wingull by trapping munchlax or ferroseed. Trapinch is able to support vullaby, rufflet, and drifloon by trapping pawniard or onix. Trapinch is able to support farfetchd by trapping spritzee or mareanie. Almost every pokemon mentioned as potentially banworthy is supported by trapinch, and yet, you think trapinch is not the culprit. What are we really trying to preserve by keeping trapinch in the tier? Is banning all threats that benefit from trapinch trapping really reasonable? Banning trapinch minimizes the collateral damage of already reduced size of the SS LC tier.

=======================================================

The drifloon never went below 50%, so berry juice would not have popped even if he had it. Admittedly, substitute+berry juice drifloon would have avoided dying on that turn, but drifloon still takes significant damage from trapinch after BJ pops.
36+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifloon: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (mixed drifloon)
36+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 36 HP / 4 Def Drifloon: 20-24 (76.9 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (special attacking drifloon)

Onix trading hp vs trapinch is not really possible, since onix earthquake is doing 30% to 43% to eviolite trapinch, and trapinch heals back 43% from giga drain. If onix elects to earthquake twice and not get rocks up, the trapinch may not be as successful in trapping another pokemon, but trapinch removed onix and stopped stealth rocks from getting on the field, which many of trapinch's partners in crime would greatly appreciate (cutiefly, vulpix, flying types). In some scenarios, trapinch does not even need to take damage to trap, as it is able to outspeed munchlax and ferroseed, with the appropriate ev spread.

So trapinch is able to trap onix, diglett, pawniard, ferroseed, spritzee, munchlax, and onix, but that doesn't give it enough offensive utility to make it broken to you. What would make it broken in your opinion? Obviously gothita has the advantage of being able to switch into ferroseed and spritzee, but the variety of things that trapinch is able to trap suggests to me that trapinch offers a similar level of offensive support that gothita was able to.

Trapinch has increased ability to get multiple kills, as it gained access to first impression, which is a lot stronger than its previous priority in feint and quick attack. Trapinch forces the use of protect on multiple mons, like ponyta-g, cherubi, diglett, and drilbur. Even if these mons run protect to avoid getting directly trapped by first impression trapinch, these pokemon are limited in their moveset just by trapinch existing in the meta. Perhaps you could argue that is a good thing? But I am not convinced that ponyta running protect instead of calm mind or morning sun or another coverage move is a positive effect on the meta.

The interaction between diglett and trapinch is an interesting one. Both are potentially trapped by each other depending on remaining HP values. Historically, the rise of trapinch usage has caused a relative decrease in diglett usage, which makes trapinch even better, as it has less opportunity to be countertrapped. The concept of countertrapping diglett isn't necessarily one of the driving reasons for my stance on trapinch, but is worth taking into consideration when looking at the impact trapinch has on the meta.

=============================================================

Onix could run 36 defense evs to bluff eviolite from uturn vullaby anyways if you really wanted to. In gen 8, without fail, trapinch is able to switch in vs onix every time and trap it. There is no secret tech option to have onix beat trapinch other than doubling out when trapinch tries to come in. I don't know why you're having this hypothetical scenario where I'm letting onix set up and I'm not sending in trapinch right away. I guess trapinch doesn't trap pawniard either because I clicked swords dance and you didn't go straight to trapinch, so now trapinch dies if it tries to hard switch in.

My stance on the current LC tier is that there is a group of pokemon that all benefit from the support provided by trapinch. I don't believe that cutiefly or vulpix are more broken than trapinch. If banning trapinch shifts the meta into a state of balance without any other bans, that seems more preferable to me than banning everything that trapinch supports.
For clarity's sake I condensed the last page of your arguments down to actually relevant information. I omitted things referencing how the SM LC was, what techs rose from that previous metagame, how Trapinch was handled in the past, as well as asides that weren't directly referencing what I wanted to respond to (I.E, your posts about Sun and other archetypes or problematic Pokemon). I specifically, and exclusively, wanted to address the current discussion on Trapinch.

I have bolded the most prevalent aspects of your above posts to clarify to the spectators and viewers of the thread what I have determined to be the underlying threads behind the argument you have crafted. In outlining these posts the conclusion I have come to with regard to your premises are as follows:
1. Trapinch will always be able to trap at least 1 Pokemon when facing a well-crafted team.
- That is, a team that has nothing Trapinch can trap is most likely already weak to popular archetypes, making Trapinch's existence as a supporter moot in that scenario.
2. The things that Trapinch can trap are not solely limited to one specific pattern.
- Trapinch's ability to trap bulky threats, stealth rock setters, and pick off weakened threats with First Impression means that it takes advantage of multiple build styles.
3. (An implied premise) Tech that has the ability to beat Trapinch can be considered gimmicky or limiting and is a reflection of Trapinch's "unhealthiness."
4. As Trapinch is able to trap a variety of Pokemon from differing build styles it is comparable to Gothita and is unhealthy.
5. As there are already a limited number of Pokemon due to Dexit banning Trapinch would be detrimental to the strength of the metagame's other threats that are currently contested, resulting in lower "collatoral."

In the next few paragraphs I will break down my interpretations and rebuttals to these premises. There are some that are true and some that are not. In analyzing the function of Trapinch it provides a means to an end; that is, Trapinch is first and foremost a support Pokemon which helps boosts its teammates capabilities. In function it is no different than attempting to overload a check. It is never a guaranteed removal due to the ever flowing state of a real time game. Yes, in a vacuous environment, Trapinch can indeed eliminate Pawniard, Ferroseed, Ponyta, Onix, Munchlax, Spritzee, and Mareanie, and more, allowing its teammates to sweep. Your first premise is true. Trapinch will most likely always be able to trap something in a game if the team is well-crafted. This is more of a statement about the current metagame though than a point in Trapinch's favor. One example I can illustrate is a separate trapper, Wynaut, who also will always be able to trap at least 1 Pokemon on the enemy team and neutralize it. However these Pokemon are both easy to take advantage of or are worn down by the Pokemon that it wishes to trap. Trapinch will, unless the opponent player misplays, take extensive damage in attempting to eliminate some threat. Ferroseed has the opportunity to run Knock Off, Giga Drain, Bullet Seed, or set up Spikes in response, thereby either wearing Trapinch down or setting up a Hazard to help wear down the enemy team. Mareanie has the opportunity to outright beat it with Iron Defense, to Scald burn it, or otherwise deal 50-60% of health. It can also set up hazards. Munchlax can curse and then recycle spam through Superpower or EQ, eventually outright beating the Trapinch. Onix can set up SR, explode, Dragon Dance and beat a slightly weaker (50-60%) Trapinch. Pawniard can flinch it or set up Stealth Rock (this is by far Trapinch's best trapped enemy, barring Diglett). Diglett has the potential to Memento or Final Gambit, or set up Stealth Rock in response. Assuming perfect play there is not really a scenario that can be described where the non-Trapinch player (from here out referenced as 'Player A') cannot gain some good from that turn, be it in chip damage for Trapinch or through setting up a hazard. This ties into your second premise, which is also true. Outside of clearing the way for certain Pokemon, there is no consistent pattern to the things that Trapinch checks. You claim this variability is unhealthy and liken it to Gothita.

Your third premise, however, is entirely untrue. You claim, implicitly, that Trapinch's ability is having an undue warping affect on the metagame, forcing Pokemon like Ponyta or Cherubi to run Protect, and similarly things like Onix to run Self-destruct. Why do you think this is a problem? Is Protect a terrible move that is in itself a reflection of centralization? If that move allows those Pokemon to beat out something that would normally beat it, why is that not considered metagame innovation and adaptation? Is it gimmicky if Mareanie runs Iron Defense to beat Diglett or Trapinch? What makes Ponyta running Calm Mind "healthier" than running Protect, as laid out in paragraph 8 of my above quoted text block. I for one think that such tech and slots are a healthy form of variability. One can run Calm Mind and attempt to play around eliminating Trapinch, such as by luring it in through other Pokemon like Pawniard and having something like a Corphish in the back. One can alternatively forgo Calm Mind or Morning Sun and run Protect so you can beat weakened Trapinch. I don't see why this is an issue at all, as Protect has historically been used on many occasions in my past Pokemon career, notably things like Protect Diglett to scout for Fake Outs or block HJKs or to scout Scarf sets.

Your fourth premise I think is also untrue. Its comparison to Gothita lies in the variability that it has to beat various Pokemon. However Gothita was much deeper than Trapinch is. Gothita had the potential to run Charm sets, Calm Mind sets, Scarf sets, and more, with the ability to tailor its moveset with moves like Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Psyshock, Charm, Tickle, Calm Mind, Resttalk sets, Shadow Ball, Trick. Gothita also had the ability to run fast or slow, meaning you often had no idea what it could actually trap and how to play around it from preview, as you could only guess as to what the set was. Trapinch, in contrast, is a much more one-dimensional Pokemon. It will always have Earthquake. It will always be between 6-9 Spe. It will always have First Impression, and most likely Giga Drain. The variability that comes from it comes in the form of Crunch / Rock Slide to hit birds, or Superpower to hit Ferroseed. I guess you could put Feint / Quick Attack up there too. It always does the same thing, albeit it traps a certain subsect of Pokemon. This means that when I see a Trapinch from preview, I know exactly how I should play around it; I'm already thinking ahead and seeing what I can throw at Trapinch to ensure a sweep of my own. I sacrifice my Onix so I can bring in my Corphish and get free Sword Dances. I look and see what does and doesn't threaten Trapinch. You can't do this with Gothita, because it could either succeed or fail at trapping your Spritzee, depending on the set. It could trap your Timburr, or it could not. It could beat out Corphish / Onix or it's locked into Thunderbolt and loses. The variability of the Pokemon sets both can trap are similar in that regard, but in terms of set variability they are dichotic.

I think by the nature of Arena Trap in general your 5th premise is true. I do think that concerns over a limited pool of Pokemon to select from are entirely overblown. Arena Trap, through its supporting nature, will always have a detrimental impact on the Pokemon it supports, hindering their ability to sweep. Where I disagree however is on that this is a necessary element that we should keep in mind. By its very nature Trapping abilities force you to think differently than a metagame without trapping abilities. I have since changed my stance on how one should approach this, however. There are definitive tradeoffs for trapping something. Frankly, if you let Trapinch trap something for free and it gets multiple kills a game and is the star player, then you simply played poorly or had a shite team. A well-built team can consistently have Pokemon that are trapped by Trapinch but in an actual match will wear the Trapinch down and allow 1 kill at max; and that is entirely the point. To serve as bait for something to take advantage of a reliance on Trapinch.

I strongly urge players to think outside of the box. Come up with solutions to Sun, or Trapinch, or Webs that are different from the safe space people have boxed themselves into when building a team. These things only exist as blatantly overpowered on paper, when in discussion in a metagame post. The counterplay is there, if only you would seek it. As it is LC Snake time I and many others are most likely keeping their techs hidden for use when they play, otherwise I'm sure there would be more transparency in terms of unsets and tech to use. The parting advice is to think critically and systematically in your thought process. I, for one, consider a metagame where when you start banning these things that creates a rippling domino effect to be wholly unwise as it assumes stupidity and lack of preparedness from the player. I also think criticisms of past tech like Z Onix or Liquidation Tirtouga as elements in favor of Trapinch's ban to be absurd, as the Pokemon are meant to have only one or two sets and meta development is only permissible prior a certain point.

Just a quick comment on the sun part of your post:
  1. You are correct in that Mareanie beats Vulpix and does well against Oddish and Cherubi. Trapping it is probably the one role Trapinch does best on a sun team, but in reality a Pokémon like Onix or Mudbray in the sun does just as well and can compress roles with Stealth Rock and so on.
  2. If you’ve been playing LC for a while you should know that Timburr (and especially Guts Timburr) is a very, very hard counter to Ferroseed. It also just so happens to provide Defog support and take care of Munchlax, making it a much better choice for sun than Trapinch in these roles.
  3. Trapinch does not do anything for a well-built sun team that other Pokémon cannot do at the same time while filling other roles. Its role on sun teams is minimal and should not be a primary consideration in its suspect case.
Sun, particularly double sun, wants the game to end as quickly as possible. This is for two reasons: sun teams are typically weak to stealth rock, and sun has a limited time on the field. Trapinch lends itself to these short games much more than the other Pokemon that you're bringing up because of one important thing you seem to be forgetting: Pokemon like Mareanie and Munchlax can actually switch out of Pokemon like Mudbray and Timburr respectively, and can continue to serve as roadblocks to sun in the future. Your comparison of the role of Trapinch to Timburr and Onix shows to me a misunderstanding of the trapping mechanic as a whole. Pressure is a good thing to have, but the potential for flat out removal that Trapinch gives sun teams is completely unparalleled by any other Pokemon that isn't a trapper.

I've found that in general Mareanie is not the Pokemon I'm trapping with Trapinch when I'm using sun: the steel types and munchlax are the most consistent things that trapinch is able to trap and also the most important things, as Mareanie is usually not that hard to blow past with growth oddish. These Pokemon also have much less counterplay, as curse munchlax can really only deal with Trapinch at full health, which is a problem considering that its role as a special sponge will usually take it to 60ish percent against Vulpix and other sun abusers, while the steels have to rely on multiple hits from bullet seed or flinches.

I do think that sun without trapinch is probably broken but Trapinch definitely makes the archetype better as it does for many archetypes. We'll see how it pans out in the next week but Sun is definitely something I will be looking to nominate for a suspect.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I agree with most of the things said about trappers. However I think Vullaby is the thing that most stands out to me as broken in this metagame. The combination of perfect coverage, weak armor, and fantastic bulk is really too much. Even its best counters are vulnerable- Spritzee just accepts a Knock Off while Onix is vulerable to U-turn + Diglett/Trapinch. Faster pokemon that can revenge kill it have really fallen out of favor because the ones that can take a hit can't kill it in return, while the powerful ones like Cutiefly lose to Vullaby after Weak Armor. Vullaby was broken in SM too but what changed in this meta is honestly just a large decrease in the amount of viable mons with high base stat totals. With very minimal support, there's not really anything that can compete with it both offensively and defensively. Banning Trapinch might help a bit in dealing with it though, as it seems to help with most things...

Also here's a cool little mon I've been using I wanted to share:
1575650140219.png

Litwick @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 5
EVs: 196 HP / 236 SpA / 76 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

The candle is no Gastly or anything but it does work much better in this meta than it did in the last one. Decreased Knock Off and a high usage of stuff like Cutiefly, Ferro, and Sun mons gives Litwick's unique typing a surprising amount of time to shine. Sometimes Litwick even has the opportunity to sweep like in this replay https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1023814768

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Hey friends, it's Coco giving you a friendly council update on what we're talking about in the hopes that we get a bit of discussion about it here.

Council is mainly looking at how to approach sun in this generation. We agree in our majority that sun most likely needs to be nerfed this generation, but we are not in collective agreement as to how to do so.

In the past, we have banned Vulpix because it was the main epicenter for problems with regards to Sun; however, nearly all of us agree that keeping Vulpix in the tier is the correct approach this generation. Vulpix is currently a healthy aspect of the metagame which serves as the best offensive fire type without being too limiting on the rest of the metagame. As a result, if it is at all possible, we'd like to keep it in the tier without nerfing it. This leaves us with a couple of options.

1. Ban Cherubi

Cherubi is currently seen as the best sun sweeper by a significant margin. It's ability to fire off weather balls to hit steels leaves Sun with very limiting checks and counters. As it is currently seen as the best Sun sweeper by such a drastic margin, banning it would give Sun + Chlorophyll to stay in the tier while removing a problematic factor of the metagame.

2. Ban Chlorophyll

The tier currently only has two sun sweepers, one of which we generally agree is broken, one of which the majority sees as balanced at the moment. However, the looming presence of Bulbasaur releasing is a possibility of which we need to be aware of, considering it is still in the game. If we ban Cherubi, Bulbasaur will almost certainly need to be banned too, which creates a bloated ban list while implying we could have went with a more concise tiering decision. With that in mind, Chlorophyll also removes Cherubi from the metagame, as it has no other ability to run.

I am interested to hear your thoughts and myself or one of the other council members will certainly be keeping us posted with what's going on in the council chat!

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Hey friends, it's Coco giving you a friendly council update on what we're talking about in the hopes that we get a bit of discussion about it here.

Council is mainly looking at how to approach sun in this generation. We agree in our majority that sun most likely needs to be nerfed this generation, but we are not in collective agreement as to how to do so.

In the past, we have banned Vulpix because it was the main epicenter for problems with regards to Sun; however, nearly all of us agree that keeping Vulpix in the tier is the correct approach this generation. Vulpix is currently a healthy aspect of the metagame which serves as the best offensive fire type without being too limiting on the rest of the metagame. As a result, if it is at all possible, we'd like to keep it in the tier without nerfing it. This leaves us with a couple of options.

1. Ban Cherubi

Cherubi is currently seen as the best sun sweeper by a significant margin. It's ability to fire off weather balls to hit steels leaves Sun with very limiting checks and counters. As it is currently seen as the best Sun sweeper by such a drastic margin, banning it would give Sun + Chlorophyll to stay in the tier while removing a problematic factor of the metagame.

2. Ban Chlorophyll

The tier currently only has two sun sweepers, one of which we generally agree is broken, one of which the majority sees as balanced at the moment. However, the looming presence of Bulbasaur releasing is a possibility of which we need to be aware of, considering it is still in the game. If we ban Cherubi, Bulbasaur will almost certainly need to be banned too, which creates a bloated ban list while implying we could have went with a more concise tiering decision. With that in mind, Chlorophyll also removes Cherubi from the metagame, as it has no other ability to run.

I am interested to hear your thoughts and myself or one of the other council members will certainly be keeping us posted with what's going on in the council chat!
Probably the most essential question in the debate between banning Cherubi and banning Chlorophyll is as follows: will it be better to ban two Pokémon (Cherubi and future Bulbasaur) to preserve Oddish sun, or to ban Chlorophyll on the whole to avoid a clunky banlist? I see this as the defining question because, as mentioned, we will at some point have to deal with Bulbasaur‘s triumphant entry into the meta, and it is even better than Cherubi in that it would be a Chloro sweeper with Weather Ball and Poison STAB.

I do not currently have a strong opinion either way, but I feel a good discussion would try to answer that question by asking smaller defining questions that could look like this:
  • How good is Cherubi’s coverage for the average sun team?
  • How much of a defining factor is Weather Ball?
  • Would sun teams be balanced with just Oddish as a sweeper?
  • What are the best defensive and offensive answers to Cherubi sun and Cherubi-less sun?
  • How much do we care about how our banlist looks?
  • How much do we care about preserving sun as a playstyle?
and so on. I’ve been laddering a lot with sun and it’s really good, so I can’t wait to get this discussion going!

e: I’m an idiot and forgot to check the bad moves section on Bulbasaur (it gets Weather Ball!) so I fixed the whole post

Last edited:
Probably the most essential question in the debate between banning Cherubi and banning Chlorophyll is as follows: is it strong Fire-type coverage on Cherubi that breaks sun, or is it having two Chlorophyll users on the same team? I see this as the defining question because, as mentioned, we will at some point have to deal with Bulbasaur‘s triumphant entry into the meta, and it is functionally equivalent to Oddish in that it would be a Chloro sweeper with no Fire coverage.

I do not currently have a strong opinion either way, but I feel a good discussion would try to answer that question by asking smaller defining questions that could look like this:
  • How good is Cherubi’s coverage for the average sun team?
  • Would sun teams be balanced with just Oddish as a sweeper?
  • Will a double-Chloro sun team be broken if neither sweeper has Weather Ball?
  • What are the best defensive and offensive answers to Cherubi?
and so on. I’ve been laddering a lot with sun and it’s really good, so I can’t wait to get this discussion going!
In case coco wasn't clear enough in her post, the reason that she described Bulbasaur as looming and as almost certainly ban-worthy is because it too will learn weather ball. I'll add more to the conversation later but this is a pretty important clarification for now.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
In case coco wasn't clear enough in her post, the reason that she described Bulbasaur as looming and as almost certainly ban-worthy is because it too will learn weather ball. I'll add more to the conversation later but this is a pretty important clarification for now.
oh duh I’m an idiot

Last edited:
I encourage people who are in favor of banning vulpix to post in the thread as I've seen talk about it on discord, though I warn that it will be a pretty hard sell. As far as I know nobody on council wants Vulpix gone.

I find banning Cherubi to be very clearly the best option going forward. The version of sun that is broken at the moment is the double sun variant with Cherubi and Oddish, with Cherubi being the more threatening sweeper thanks to its access to weather ball. Both banning Chlorophyll and banning Cherubi achieve the same end of getting rid of the broken sun variant while preserving Vulpix, but banning Cherubi has significantly less collateral. This is because banning Chlorophyll is effectively already a pseudo ban on Cherubi, as Cherubi only has Chlorophyll as its ability. As I see it, much of the reasoning for banning Chlorophyll is in anticipation of two things: Oddish sun being broken, and Bulbasaur being broken in the future.

Neither of these should in theory be considered at all: Sun with a single sweeper functions very differently from double sweeper sun, and any arguments at this point arguing from the point of us needing to ban oddish for being broken as well is just banning something off pure theorymonning. Even if it is likely to broken, we still need to actually see it in the meta to verify that. We also don't know the timeframe at all for the release of Bulbasaur: for all we know it could be next month or an event planned a year from now for all we know that blocks its transferability from past gens. Bulbasaur should be treated as a bridge to be crossed when we come to it.

banning Cherubi also avoids the complex bans that smogon generally likes to avoid except in absolutely necessary situations. In the past Chlorophyll was on the table in previous gens as even though there was one Pokemon in particular that was the most efficient at using it to sweep there were a couple Pokemon that could very easily replace it (Victreebel would replace Venusaur in OU, Cherubi and Oddish would replace Bellsprout and Bulbasaur in LC), but thanks to so many Pokemon being cut this is no longer the case, and since we can avoid this complex ban we absolutely should.

I also think that a hypothetical healthy sun strategy is something worth pursuing: I always find metas with many viable teambuilds to be more enjoyable than monotonous ones.

Banning Chlorophyll should not even be an option. Especially if we won't even consider banning Drought because "Well we feel bad about banning Vulpix last gen, so we want it to stay this time and actually be useful." Chlorophyll is not inherently broken. The only reason that Cherubi is considered to be broken is thanks to the auto weather setting of Vulpix. If the Chlorophyll users were limited to manual sun setting, they would be considered nothing more than a bad gimmick. To even bring up Chlorophyll as a possible ban target is asinine when everyone knows that Drought is the actual cause of any of the problems with sun sweepers.

Since Vulpix is untouchable: Either ban Cherubi, and Bulbasaur when it gets released, or do nothing. A Chlorophyll ban is 100% the wrong option

Just wear sun cream and boom sun isn't a problem anymore. Normal brain LCers...

On a more serious note: why not just ban heat rock? 4-5 turns of sun (3-4 if you switch into it and dont have a Clorophyll user bring it) is a lot less threatening than 6-8 practical turns of sun.

Last edited:
Coconut

I don't think sun is broken, but the reasoning for not considering banning Vulpix as an option seems incredibly weak and is at best arbitrary. The fact that we have minimal offensive fire types has nothing to do with how broken Vulpix is (or not). It's quite a simple question: is manual sun broken too? If not, then you know the target is Vulpix

The only reasoning that makes even less sense than that is banning Chlorophyll while not considering banning drought. If you aren't considering a drought ban solely because it's an ability, then why is Chlorophyll being discussed? The only reason to ban Chlorophyll is if you think manual sun is broken and if ability banning is on the table. It seems very clear to me that you think auto sun is the problem and without it, there would be no issue.

In terms of arbitrary reasoning like "healthy aspect of the metagame", Oddish and Cherubi also have other non-sun roles and we are frankly also limited in effective grass types that can take earthquake/heavy slam.

Kipkluif

Liever Kips leverworst
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
It's quite a simple question: is manual sun broken too? If not, then you know the target is Vulpix
But you can turn this around by saying "Is sun without Cherubi broken too? If not, then you know the target is Cherubi", so I don't think it's quite that simple because both statements are likely true.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
But you can turn this around by saying "Is sun without Cherubi broken too? If not, then you know the target is Cherubi", so I don't think it's quite that simple because both statements are likely true.
This doesn't disagree with Heysup's premise at all, or at least not what I got from it, being that Vulpix should be a preferable target over Chlorophyll.

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I also stand with Joltage's and Heysup's points about not banning Chlorophyll. The problem is very apparent; sun sweepers like Cherubi would be less oppressive without the auto-sun setting capabilities of Vulpix. I don't necessarily want Vulpix banned because it is a good fire type, even without access to Drought. In this scenario, a ban on Drought seems like a better alternative to just straight banning Cherubi or Chlorophyll.

Last edited:

Kipkluif

Liever Kips leverworst
LCPL Champion
This doesn't disagree with Heysup's premise at all, or at least not what I got from it, being that Vulpix should be a preferable target over Chlorophyll.
The way Heysups post is worded makes it seem like they argue banning Vulpix over banning Chlorophyll or Cherubi. While I agree that banning Chlorophyll is a bad idea for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, I disagree with the idea that Vulpix should be banned over Cherubi because I think banning a tool that makes an archetype too strong is a better idea than invalidating the entire archetype.

Saying that Vulpix should be banned is totally a fair point. The oppresive suns running around are Vulpix's doing, not Cherubi's. If we had the same reasoning last gen, we would have banned Bellsprout. Cherubi is merely a sweeper that takes advantage of the turns Vulpix can set without losing a turn. Vulpix is the real threat here, as its sun inducing capabilities allow Pokémon such as Cherubi, Oddish, heck even Weather Ball Drifloon to be run. Furthermore, Oddish-only sun may prove overbearing, as suns should have a way to deal with the likes of Munchlax and Ferroseed (Trapinch), even if running Cherubi, imo, and Cherubi-less suns free a slot for Drifloon.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I know I'm not a historic LC community member, but so far this generation it's been my tier of choice so I feel fine posting here.

As no one is claiming that manual sun is broken I agree that Vulpix should be the one in the firing line. The same logic that Vulpix is a key offensive Fire-Type and should be kept can also be used for Cherubi: it's a key offensive Grass-Type and should be kept. Though I haven't tried a Vulpix-less sun team where Cherubi is just a setup sweeper through setting its own sun, I can see it having merit and being at least C-Rank.

Notable to this conversation is a set I've had a lot of success with:

Growlithe @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Overheat
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Growlithe has several viable set variations and would be fine as a replacement to Vulpix. I've primarily used it as a catch-all hit and run revenge killer with a mixed STAB to allow it to fulfil its role consistently whatever the opponent is, but it also has access to moves like Will-o-Wisp for a bulkier set or Crunch, Psychic Fangs and Play Rough for a Choice Band set. It's mainly physical rather than specially-oriented, but to claim that Vulpix should be kept because it's a key special offensive Fire-Type Pokémon seems like too many qualifications to me. It's worth noting that the Litwick set higher up on this page is valid and proves that LC has a couple other Fire-Type options, meaning Vulpix isn't a necessary inclusion.

I think it's also important to note that banning sun abusers before banning the automatic setter makes the sun archetype much more linear when teambuilding. Though there's not a huge amount of diversity in sun to begin with, to narrow down the number of sun abusers to essentially only Bellsprout and other Fire-Type Pokémon who appreciate the boost to their STAB means every sun team has its members decided for it. Manual sun is a much more interesting team type because there are a range of Pokémon who can set up sun, and that means that different abusers will be preferable based on which setters were chosen. Team diversity within the same archetype is a sign of a healthy meta imo and should be preserved.

Last edited:
I also stand with Joltage's and Heysup's points about not banning Chlorophyll. The problem is very apparent; sun sweepers like Cherubi would be less oppressive without the auto-sun setting capabilities of Vulpix. I don't necessarily want Vulpix banned because it is a good fire type, even without access to Drought. In this scenario, a complex ban on Drought + Vulpix seems like a better alternative to just straight banning Cherubi or Chlorophyll.
A complex ban on Drought & Vulpix wouldn't make sense since Vulpix is the only one in LC with access to Drought anyway. If you want to keep Vulpix it would be easier to just ban Drought alone.

The way Heysups post is worded makes it seem like they argue banning Vulpix over banning Chlorophyll or Cherubi. While I agree that banning Chlorophyll is a bad idea for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, I disagree with the idea that Vulpix should be banned over Cherubi because I think banning a tool that makes an archetype too strong is a better idea than invalidating the entire archetype.
I think this is a fair point on its face, but if you dive into it and ask "is cherubi broken with and without auto sun?" I think my point still stands pretty strong.

Keep in mind, my point is not that cherubi isn't broken or that banning it isn't the solution but why would we not consider banning the objective entity that makes Sun broken rather than arbitrary things just because we are bored of banning Vulpix?

Last edited:

Kipkluif

Liever Kips leverworst
LCPL Champion
Keep in mind, my point is not that cherubi isn't broken or that banning it isn't the solution but why would we not consider banning the objective entity that makes Sun broken rather than arbitrary things just because we are bored of banning Vulpix?
I think the combination of Vulpix and Cherubi makes sun broken. Vulpix doesn't seem broken to me without Cherubi to abuse it's drought and Cherubi isn't broken without Vulpix to support it with drought. I disagree with the idea that Vulpix is the 'objective' thing that breaks sun this gen, especially now that Bellsprout, Hidden Power and Z-moves are gone, which limits sun's sweeping potential as compared to last gen, where it was always gonna be a problem as long as Vulpix was legal because of those extra options (I think).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)