Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/reliablemons.3515558/

Reliablemons is basically Reverse Camomons. The first one (or two) moves change to become your type.

So you get stuff like Fighting-Type Facade Conkeldurr (STAB x Status x Guts x 70)=1.5 x 2 x 1.5 x 70=315 BP move coming off of 140 atk.

Pokemon can now abuse Return, Knock Off, Pursuit (sry not Fairies). No longer does Magearna need to worry about pivoting around when it can use a Steel Type Volt Switch (if in first slot). Lando and use Ground-Type Knock Off and Uturn to pivot out with STAB Flying.

Can we bring back Reliablemons for Gen 7?
Yes please. One suggestion though, is a name change to something like “Revelation Mons” bcos oricorio revelation dance and we need more OMs with names relating to the new best birb.

ReType

Metagame Premise: A pokemon holding a plate will have it's secondary most typing and it's moves of that type changed to the typing of the plate.

Potential Bans and Threats: Standard OU Banlist and Clauses | Possible plate bans, but unlikely | Possibly choice scarf or other item bans to make plated mons more viable.

Now, I know we all have seen the "Use a plate to change a typing" concept before, but I don't think anybody has tried to change the pokemon's typing or the typing of STAB moves exactly like this.

Pokemon with bad secondary STABs now have the upper hand, because they can use a plate to change it to anything. Pokemon like Dragonite or Tapu Koko could be dangerous, but they also have no access to other items.

However, pokemon with good secondary STABs also benefit. Zygarde can change it's ground typing with a plate, but it would still have a STAB thousand arrows.

If the pokemon only has one typing, then it is changed to the the typing of the plate.

Examples:

Kartana @ Dread Plate
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Kartana now is a grass/dark type and has a very strong STAB knock off.

Zygarde @ Insect Plate
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Ever wanted a dragon/bug type? Err, no? Well... here's one anyways! Earthquake is now a 100 BP bug type move with STAB, so go out there and, uh... bug your opponents to death?

Questions for the Community: 1. Does it sound fun to play? 2. Are the plates too weak, and would it just devolve into regular OU? This could be fixed by giving moves BP buffs like the -ate abilities or something similar. Item bans could also help 3. Should the primary typing be changed instead of the secondary typing?

Any suggestions or helpful tips are very welcome.

ReType

Metagame Premise: A pokemon holding a plate will have it's secondary most typing and it's moves of that type changed to the typing of the plate.

Potential Bans and Threats: Standard OU Banlist and Clauses | Possible plate bans, but unlikely | Possibly choice scarf or other item bans to make plated mons more viable.

Now, I know we all have seen the "Use a plate to change a typing" concept before, but I don't think anybody has tried to change the pokemon's typing or the typing of STAB moves exactly like this.

Pokemon with bad secondary STABs now have the upper hand, because they can use a plate to change it to anything. Pokemon like Dragonite or Tapu Koko could be dangerous, but they also have no access to other items.

However, pokemon with good secondary STABs also benefit. Zygarde can change it's ground typing with a plate, but it would still have a STAB thousand arrows.

If the pokemon only has one typing, then it is changed to the the typing of the plate.

Examples:

Kartana @ Dread Plate
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Kartana now is a grass/dark type and has a very strong STAB knock off.

Zygarde @ Insect Plate
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Ever wanted a dragon/bug type? Err, no? Well... here's one anyways! Earthquake is now a 100 BP bug type move with STAB, so go out there and, uh... bug your opponents to death?

Questions for the Community: 1. Does it sound fun to play? 2. Are the plates too weak, and would it just devolve into regular OU? This could be fixed by giving moves BP buffs like the -ate abilities or something similar. Item bans could also help 3. Should the primary typing be changed instead of the secondary typing?

Any suggestions or helpful tips are very welcome.
Too many type changing metas @^@

Too many type changing metas @^@
U mean to say not enough, outside of camomons and technically MNM ,what else do we have? Camo in itself is already limited as mons themselves only have their movepools for a type change and they often gain 4mss from using certain moves and/or have to use bad moves like solarbeam for good typing. If anything we have too much of its stat changing metas, we need more metals where mons can change there typing.

Ok , I wanted to try and submit the om "Trademarked" for gen 7. For those who do not know this is an om from gen 6 that was run by the now om dead and partially dead overall snaquaza. In this om a pokemon can use its status move in its ability slot at the cost of its ability and the inability to use it in its movepool. The status move activates once the mon is switched in. This makes for some interesting stuff like sd golisopod, or quiver dance volcarona , however u still have to remember that these mons cannot use these move in there movepools anymore so therefore u cant gain further setup unless the mon has similar options in its movepool.

What I'm looking for in the community is:
Is there anything I should consider adding to the banlist from last gen mon or move wise?
Should I add an item clause considering how powerful some scarf mons become?
Also is there anyone very knowledgeable about the meta from last gen as I never got the chance to play it and I cant seem to access it on rom, so I need some more experienced peeps to show me how the meta was playstyle was and to know what's bannable or not bannable

Ok , I wanted to try and submit the om "Trademarked" for gen 7. For those who do not know this is an om from gen 6 that was run by the now om dead and partially dead overall snaquaza. In this om a pokemon can use its status move in its ability slot at the cost of its ability and the inability to use it in its movepool. The status move activates once the mon is switched in. This makes for some interesting stuff like sd golisopod, or quiver dance volcarona , however u still have to remember that these mons cannot use these move in there movepools anymore so therefore u cant gain further setup unless the mon has similar options in its movepool.

Is there anything I should consider adding to the banlist from last gen mon or move wise?
Also is there anyone very knowledgeable about the meta from last gen as I never got the chance to play it and I cant seem to access it on rom, so I need some more experienced peeps to show me how the meta was playstyle was and to know what's bannable or not bannable
Cool meta. I want to point out that double parting shot might be a bit broken, since you can lower a pkmn stats to minimun at no cost while pivoting out to something else if there are no hazzards up.

I dont know anything about gen 6 meta either, buy i would definetly unban pokemon whose reason for being banned is their ability: abilities like shadow tag, arena trap or power construct doesnt seem to powerful for me (recall that block is a trap substitute).

Cool meta. I want to point out that double parting shot might be a bit broken, since you can lower a pkmn stats to minimun at no cost while pivoting out to something else if there are no hazzards up.

I dont know anything about gen 6 meta either, buy i would definetly unban pokemon whose reason for being banned is their ability: abilities like shadow tag, arena trap or power construct doesnt seem to powerful for me (recall that block is a trap substitute).
Don't worry, parting shot was limited in last gen banlist to 1 per team. I intend to keep the last gen banlist as all its ban and limits were valid. Parting shot is definitely more a nuisance this gen with having more users in Persian a and silvally

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

You can access it on DragonHeaven. I don't really know much about the meta, but you can search for replays and have an idea of how it looks

I support bringing the meta back too

You can access it on DragonHeaven. I don't really know much about the meta, but you can search for replays and have an idea of how it looks

I support bringing the meta back too
I tried it on ROM and dh and it didn't let me battle abyssal bot , said something about my team crashing the builder. Or maybe I'm not suppose to use import to put the moves in the ability slot ?

Playgroudon

Metagame Premise:

Do you like fire types? Do you hate water types ruining fire type’s existence? Do you hate the fact that almost every pokemon has earthquake available, move that perform so well against fire types? Well, in this meta any of those problems are a mayor issue, and fire types are able to dominate, with anything stopping them (cough, stealth rock, cough). In this meta pokemon fight in a world created by primal Groudon, with extremely harsh sunlight that protects Groudon from water type moves and enhances his fire type moves. The gravity is so big in this planet that Groudon can destroy anything in his path with precipice blades, and the terrain is full of plants that don’t need water to survive, protecting Groudon from the infamous earthquakes.

Concept: The game starts with permanent extremely harsh sunlight on the field, gravity will be permanently activated, and grassy terrain will be activated if there is no terrain on the field and it will remain activated until a new terrain starts. Moves that depend on weight (low kick, grass knot, heavy slam) will do full damage, since everything is heavier.

Banlist and clauses: standard OU banlist, with a few changes. Gravity is banned to prevent it frorm being desactivated. Kyogre and (maybe) Dialga are unbanned. The mega stone metagrossite, and (maybe) lucarionite are unbanned, while blue orb is banned. Freeze clause might be removed since only cloud nine pokemon can cause freeze. Substitute + protect is complex banned to prevent stupid pp stall with pokemon like pressure leftovers aerodactyl; this also will apply with any protect clone.

Threats:

Mega Houndoom and Mega Camerupt are better than ever, the former get 100% accuracy fire blast, 83% accuracy inferno, both of them boosted by sunlight and solar power, with boosted solar beam and dark pulse as coverage. The latter get amazing dual stabs that are unresisted in this meta, and is one of the best special ground type attackers. Both pokemon enjoy the nullification of water type attacks and the nerf of earthquake against grounded mons.

Zygarde can hit every pokemon on the field, trap them with thousand waves, and then proceed to cripple them with toxic, it is also one of the best ground physical attackers, since earthquake is mitigated by grassy terrain, and can hit fairies hard with 100% accuracy iron tail.

Cloud nine golduck is the best water type attacker. He can switch even against solar beams and wreck havoc with 100% acc. hydro pump, ignoring the extremely harsh sunlight. Drampa and Altaria are also good clud nine users, however, the latter doesn’t get access to water type attacks.

Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele can disrupt graissy terrain temporarily, allowing their partners to spam earthquake inside the gravity. The former has access to 83% acc. thunder, 120 bp (unboosted) grass knot, defog and can pivot out with volt switch and u-turn. The latter has 100% accuracy focus blast and also has grass knot and 83% acc. thunder. Groundium-z can be used on strong ground types to hit hard even on grassy terrain.

In case it is unbanned, Palkia might become a great anti fire pokemon, since he hard resists fire moves and can tank a few solar beams with his great special bulk. Every fire type gets destroyed by specs earth power. He also can use fire blast, special rend, blizzard and stoned edge as options for coverage. Sub punch sets can nail and destroy Chansey.

Chlorophyll pokemon can outspeed almost everything and hit hard with a boosted solar beam or grass knot, they also can set a substitute up and then set up growth. Venusaur and Victribeel are good special/mixed chlorophyll users. Shiftry is a good physical attacker due to his access to rock slide.

Infernape can set up stealth rock and it is one of the few fire types takes neutral damage from them. Apart from strong fire type moves and good fighting type moves like focus blast and low kick, he gets grass knot, stone edge as coverage moves. Vacuum wave can be used to check a boosted but weakened mega-doom.

Gengar has a lot of low accuracy moves like zap cannon, hypnosis, will o wisp and focus blast that he enjoys having a buff on, also energy ball buff is quite appreciated. Misgamius doesn’t have focus blast but it has access to inferno. However, without substitute they are forced out by mega-doom, who can use that opportunity to set up.

Flash fire pokemon may dominate too, since even a resisted fire move can deal high damage in this meta. Rapidash (high horsepower), chandelure, thyplosion and regular houndoom (inferno), and heatran (magma storm, stealth rock and earth power), might be the best performers. Be careful with ground type attacks.

Nihilego might be the best toxic spikes setter, together with Toxapex. Protean greninja will probably be the best setter of spikes, since he has access to rock slide and low kick. Recall that both spikes affect flying (but not levitate*) pokemon.

*I think this is an old bug, I don’t know if it was fixed in gen 6 or 7, but I wouldn’t care if not. Essentially levitate pokemon aren’t affected by spikes and toxic spikes under gravity. This would give lati@s a niche in this meta as a spikes/toxic spikes defogger. I don’t know if air ballon mons are affected by spikes under gravity, though.

Chansey can take advantage of the high amount of special attackers this meta has, and set up stealth rock, that are stronger than ever. He can also put opponents to sleep with sing.

Pokemon like Dragonite, Tornadus and moltres can take advantage of gravity to hit with 83% accuracy hurricane, while healing themselves with grassy terrain and leftovers and supporting the team with defog. Fire blast, dragon rush, dynamic punch and iron tail are some other low acc. moves dragonite can take advantage. Tornadus has heat wave and focus blast that are very common on him.

Questions for the community

• Do you think this idea would be fun?
  • What do you think if the premise was just permanent extremely harsh sunlight alone?
  • Would you change extremely harsh sunlight for drought? In this case, would you ban drizzle/rain dance, sand stream, etc?
  • Do you think that the mechanic that boosts weight dependant moves is unnecessary, or that it makes the metagame a bit complicated? (I just add it because it makes sense and because I wanted to give infernape a few niches with low kick and grass knot to check mega-doom, chansey and non scarf golduck).
  • Do you think mega-doom will be ban-worthy?
  • What do you think about Palkia, Metagrossite and Lucarionite possible unbans?
  • Do you think a complex ban of substitute + protect is a correct solution for the pp stall problem?
  • Did something similar to this idea alredy exist?

Twenty Four
Your whole team has access to all of your moves. But each move has only 1PP, so once it's gone, it's gone! (Edit: Your team is only allowed to learn any given move once.) The game ends automatically after 24 turns, and the winner is the team with the highest health percentage, calculated as the average of the health percentages of each team member.
Standard OU banlist and clauses, plus Trump Card. Edit: Plus Regenerator. Edit: Plus Imposter, Sketch, Transform and Leppa Berry.
Edit: Tried to code this on rom, but haven't playtested yet.

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Twenty Four
Your whole team has access to all of your moves. But each move has only 1PP, so once it's gone, it's gone! The game ends automatically after 24 turns, and the winner is the team with the highest health percentage, calculated as the average of the health percentages of each team member.
Standard OU banlist and clauses, plus Trump Card.
Would you ban Regenerator? Being able to effectively recover your health without having to do anything seems to force ties too often.

Last edited:
Twenty Four
Your whole team has access to all of your moves. But each move has only 1PP, so once it's gone, it's gone! The game ends automatically after 24 turns, and the winner is the team with the highest health percentage, calculated as the average of the health percentages of each team member.
Would you allow CFZs?

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Twenty Four
I have time to lose, so I did a little team for that: 24 Pixilate/Dragon Spam

Last edited:

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
Legends Cup
Metagame premise
: Three randomized legendary and three randomized LC pokemon swap movesets based on their position (1 swaps with 4)
Potential bans and threats: Megas and primals are banned, Cosmog and Cosmoem are too. Nothing else would be overpowering.
Questions for the community: Should the legends be at lvl 75? Can this be non randomized and instead be a teambuilding metagame? Is there a pokemon you guys think would be way too broken?

Would you ban Regenerator? Being able to effectively recover your health without having to do anything seems to force ties too often.
Bah, I remember thinking about that, I can't think why I didn't add that already.
Would you allow CFZs?
CFZs aren't legally learnable moves, so how would they be on the team's moveset?
I have time to lose, so I did a little team for that
I think to promote diversity I would have to require all the moves to be different. Sorry about that.

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
SwitchMons
Pokemon can only stay in for 5 turns, or else they die at the end of the turn. Using protect, U turn, volt switch, or stealth Rocks takes 1/8th health from the user.

BANNED: Standard OU banlist, Toxic spikes,multiple recovery moves on a single mon ANY TRAPPING MOVE, ie mean look, wrap, magma storm, Regenerator and perish song
UNBANS: Evasiveness Clause
THREATS: I see Krookodile running rampant. With access to STAB pursuit, intimidate, and stealth rocks, Krook can switch in on the fourth turn and get free damage on a pokemon. In fact, any pokemon with access to pursuit will do very well in this meta. Stealth Rock setters will be in even higher demand, which is why i see clefable being even better than it currently is. Stealth Rocks plus Magic Guard and Wish make a mon that can set hazards and heal your team.

NEW PLAYSTYLES: To Exploit the 8 turns allowed for the last pokemon, I find it likely that a new playstyle will emerge; Whittle Offense. This playstyle centers around crippling the opposing teams pokemon with residual damage, and then using a final sweeper to clean up the remains. this is where evasiveness can matter. Protects will have to be played carefully, and if you've whittled enough, they may not have enough health to safely protect from a z move.
WHAT WILL CHANGE: Set up sweepers will be rendered almost completely useless, as they have a very hard time sweeping. On top of that, protect users will see some more use, as that can help stall out the timer. Toxic will see less play, but not by much. It's still important to whittle down bulkier threats. Chansey and blissey will be amazing, in their ability to basically do what clefable does, but with an ability that heals them of status conditions. Defog and rapid spin users will also see more play, as getting stealth rocks up will define the metagame. Any pokemon weak to Rocks will be severely damaged and not see nearly as much usage. I unbanned evasion because with 5 turns, it won't be nearly as broken as it currently is.
NOTES: If you are on your last Pokemon, you have 8 turns instead of 5.
QUESTIONS: I was considering allowing mean look to slide... gimme ur thoughts. With hw important rocks and pursuit will be, I was considering banning them. Should spikes be allowed to let flying types have some usage?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
StallBreaker
Pokemon can only stay in for 5 turns, or else they die at the end of the turn.

BANNED: Standard OU banlist, spikes, toxic spikes, ANY TRAPPING MOVE, ie mean look, wrap, magma storm, Regenerator and perish song
THREATS: I see Krookodile running rampant. With access to STAB pursuit, intimidate, and stealth rocks, Krook can switch in on the fourth turn and get free damage on a pokemon. In fact, any pokemon with access to pursuit will do very well in this meta. Stealth Rock setters will be in even higher demand, which is why i see clefable being even better than it currently is. Stealth Rocks plus Magic Guard and Wish make a mon that can set hazards and heal your team.
WHAT WILL CHANGE: Set up sweepers will be rendered almost completely useless, as they have a very hard time sweeping. On top of that, protect users will see some more use, as that can help stall out the timer. Toxic will see less play, but not by much. It's still important to whittle down bulkier threats. Chansey and blissey will be amazing, in their ability to basically do what clefable does, but with an ability that heals them of status conditions. Defog and rapid spin users will also see more play, as getting stealth rocks up will define the metagame. Any pokemon weak to Rocks will be severely damaged and not see nearly as much usage. I unbanned evasion because with 5 turns, it won't be nearly as broken as it currently is.
QUESTIONS: I was considering allowing mean look to slide... gimme ur thoughts. With hw important rocks and pursuit will be, I was considering banning them. Should spikes be allowed to let flying types have some usage?

Thanks for reading!
I remember something that was exactly the same thing being posted ~10 pages ago. Also, why are spikes and toxic spikes banned? If something had to be ban, I would say stealth rock, since it gives you an instant advantage with no effort, unlike setting up spikes which takes multiple turns and requires more thoughts.

StallBreaker

BANNED: Standard OU banlist, spikes, toxic spikes, ANY TRAPPING MOVE, ie mean look, wrap, magma storm, Regenerator and perish song

Thanks for reading!
I dont understand why you would ban perish song. Also instead of banning regenerator you could just ban toxapex if it becames too strong. Since protect will be common, then toxic will be, stallbreakers will suffer being toxiked. I think that this meta will be too stall based, with pokemon like chansey entering the field to heal themselves and trying to worn down the opposing team. Even good stallbreakers like mega gyara will have trouble dealing with protect since they cant boost too much (and hoopa-u dies to pursuit)

Kate

Metamodernity
RBTT Champion
I remember something that was exactly the same thing being posted ~10 pages ago. Also, why are spikes and toxic spikes banned? If something had to be ban, I would say stealth rock, since it gives you an instant advantage with no effort, unlike setting up spikes which takes multiple turns and requires more thoughts.
Unbanning spikes but keeping tspikes banned. Toxapex will centralize meta, and getting toxic of any kind for free is incredibly OP.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
StallBreaker

Thanks for reading!
  • Nice Death: All Pokemon come into the field with Perish Song/Mons faint after X turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)