I think everything that is based on percentage of HP should be based on the HP of the mon that is currently out rather than total HP of the team. Arbitrarily declaring that some moves/abilities are based on percentage of team HP and others are based on percentage of individual HP would make it a pet mod, and having everything based on team HP would likely result in more broken things as you noted with Recover/Regenerator/Volt Absorb/etc (if it's based on individual HP, Belly Drum is the only thing that is obviously broken).Totally Healthy (Can't think of anything that fits)
Premise: Base HP of all of your Pokemon is added together, and the first team that eliminates all of the total HP wins. No pokemon faints/becomes unusable.
- Hazards probably have to be nerfed, maybe lower the percentage or make it deal base damage. IDK about toxic spikes but first layer seems more threatening than second layers.
- I don't know if set-up moves would be overpowered. Revenge sweepers are kind of useless now so you would need a counter not a check. Belly drum halving the entire HP of your team would be interesting but not very effective?
- Since setting up has relatively much less risk, choice items would be nerfed?
- Recovery moves and other HP based moves would probably only be calculated on your or the other mon. This implies a healing cap as well
- Examples: 50% healing moves, Leech Seed, Dream Eater, Rest, Endeavor, Shell Bell, Leftovers, Grassy terrain, Iron barbs, Rocky helmet, I guess Shell Bell and Protective Pads would be buffed
- Volt absorb and its copies would also have a cap
- Healing wish could be so the mon that uses it is unusable and the mon that comes out gives +HP to the entire team based on its max HP? Or damaged HP?
(also if this has been done before can i pweaseee suggest another one i have in mind)
- How should I deal with abilities that boost a stat after killing a mon
- Maybe after dealing X damage such as 400?
- Or base it off if u deal the damage to supposedly faint the opposing mons current HP?
- How would you nerf Regenerator? Pretty sure it's the only unfair/bannable mechanic.
- If you would argue that it's not that bad, I would say it would make the metagame reallly boring
- Would Blissey be balanced? It adds huge amounts of HP and is a special wall, but it allows physical mons to set-up
- Would Shedinja be balanced?
- It has garbage defenses and you're basically playing with the health of 5 mons, but isn't it such an easy switch in for free chip or set-up.
- Would paraspam be annoying? Or maybe some cleric is always needed in the team?
Also it seems like trapping would be very strong. I think at a minimum all trapping abilities including Magnet Pull should be banned and all trapping moves should be on the watchlist.