Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
This is probably a dumb idea but:

Alphonics
Premise:
Pokemon have access to every ability in the game, but their movesets are restricted to the first letter of the Pokemon's name and the ability's name.

I've thought about variations on the idea such as making it only restrict to first letter of the ability though I feel like that might be too restrictive. Another variant is to restrict moves to the ability, but if the ability has more than one word (e.g. Battle Armor), the Pokemon gets access to both moves from the letter B and the letter A. Alternatively, I thought about removing access to every ability and sticking with the ones the Pokemon already have.

Mega Evolutions would re-write the ability as per normal, but won't change the moveset access (i.e. you can use a bad ability to get access to good moves).

Bans & Threats:
I haven't brainstormed what threats might be, though I'd definitely put stuff like Wonder Guard as banned, and probably Pure/Huge Power too (and any others you can think of). I've also included Simple/Speed Boost thanks to DrPumpkinz (and also how ridiculous Simple + Shell Smash is).

However, I do know gaining some abilities are kinda bad, like Technician doesn't really offer much since the letter T doesn't really provide any good moves that benefit from Technician. Also, it'd be pretty bad to pick an ability that starts with the same letter as the Pokemon.

Extra things pointed out that should probably be banned:
  • Crystal-Free Z-Moves
  • Sturdy Shedinja (and probably stuff like Regigigas/Slaking as well?)

Example:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Blue Flare
- Psystrike
- Blizzard
So you can see here that P-Z gets Boomburst, Blue Flare and Blizzard from the letter B in Boom Burst, but gets Psystrike from its name. I picked this example because P-Z is probably the best benefactor of Boomburst + Beast Boost.

Anyway, thoughts on the idea?

Last edited:

Alphonics
Premise:
Pokemon have access to every ability in the game, but their movesets are restricted to the first letter of the Pokemon's name and the ability's name.

I've thought about variations on the idea such as making it only restrict to first letter of the ability though I feel like that might be too restrictive. Another variant is to restrict moves to the ability, but if the ability has more than one word (e.g. Battle Armor), the Pokemon gets access to both moves from the letter B and the letter A. Alternatively, I thought about removing access to every ability and sticking with the ones the Pokemon already have.

Mega Evolutions would re-write the ability as per normal, but won't change the moveset access (i.e. you can use a bad ability to get access to good moves).

Bans & Threats:
I haven't brainstormed what threats might be, though I'd definitely put stuff like Wonder Guard as banned, and probably Pure/Huge Power too (and any others you can think of).

However, I do know gaining some abilities are kinda bad, like Technician doesn't really offer much since the letter T doesn't really provide any good moves that benefit from Technician. Also, it'd be pretty bad to pick an ability that starts with the same letter as the Pokemon.

Example:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Blue Flare
- Psystrike
- Blizzard
So you can see here that P-Z gets Boomburst, Blue Flare and Blizzard from the letter B in Boom Burst, but gets Psystrike from its name. I picked this example because P-Z is probably the best benefactor of Boomburst + Beast Boost.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Shell Smash
- Bonemerang
- Spore

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Power Trip
- Sacred Sword
- Spore

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Stored Power
- Secret Sword
- Spore

Please ban Simple and Speed Boost. S is already an extremely powerful letter, as evidenced by Alphabet Cup, and allowing any Pokemon access to the S pool with two of the best abilities in the game is too much.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Shell Smash
- Bonemerang
- Spore

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Power Trip
- Sacred Sword
- Spore

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Stored Power
- Secret Sword
- Spore

Please ban Simple and Speed Boost. S is already an extremely powerful letter, as evidenced by Alphabet Cup, and allowing any Pokemon access to the S pool with two of the best abilities in the game is too much.
Thanks for pointing that out, I updated the post to include them as banned. :)

Sturdy Shedinja doesn't have the most diverse movepool (even with S being no slouch), but is worth banning anyway for obvious reasons. You can run Effect Spore Shedinja if you want (almost certainly with a sash) to gain access to Endeavor, at least.

Electrode gets Electrify just on a name basis, and can pair that with Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb, or Motor Drive to set a "You must be THIS fast to do anything at all" bar that's incredibly high. Definitely make sure CFZs are banned, lest you allow it to get Extreme Evoboost too.

Comatose Swellow with Sleep Talk/Circle Throw/---/---. Yeah, I don't think so.

Sturdy Shedinja doesn't have the most diverse movepool (even with S being no slouch), but is worth banning anyway for obvious reasons. You can run Effect Spore Shedinja if you want (almost certainly with a sash) to gain access to Endeavor, at least.

Electrode gets Electrify just on a name basis, and can pair that with Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb, or Motor Drive to set a "You must be THIS fast to do anything at all" bar that's incredibly high. Definitely make sure CFZs are banned, lest you allow it to get Extreme Evoboost too.

Comatose Swellow with Sleep Talk/Circle Throw/---/---. Yeah, I don't think so.
It feels like there might be a lot of these single-case issues such as Electrify Electrode or Comatose Swellow that I feel like more and more might pop over time. Should I adopt one of the alternative rules to circumvent this problem or would the OM still be fun in its current form?

Alphonics
Premise:

Bans & Threats:
I haven't brainstormed what threats might be, though I'd definitely put stuff like Wonder Guard as banned, and probably Pure/Huge Power too (and any others you can think of). I've also included Simple/Speed Boost thanks to DrPumpkinz (and also how ridiculous Simple + Shell Smash is).

• Crystal-Free Z-Moves
Example:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Blue Flare
- Psystrike
- Blizzard

Isn't this just Alphabet Cup, but worse?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Alphonics
Premise:

Bans & Threats:

• Crystal-Free Z-Moves
Example:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Blue Flare
- Psystrike
- Blizzard

This meta is almost completely like a mashup of Alphabet Cup and AAA. The only difference is the movepool constraint, which is never fun anways. Highly unlikely this will pass unless you come up with a more unique spin to it (probably not involving the alphabet). Otherwise, just try suggesting “AAAlphabet Cup” in the OM mashups toom.

Introducing:
Metromans

(Not metromons. Metromans.)
Rules:
  1. Every pokemon is legal.
  2. Every move is legal.
  3. Every ability is legal.
  4. Every item is legal.
  5. Every pokemon will become clefable.
  6. Every move will become metronome.
  7. Every ability will become cute charm.
  8. Every item will become leppa berry.
  9. EVs will become 85/85/85/85/85/85.
  10. IVs will become 31/31/31/31/31/31.
Please discuss and gibe feedback!!!1!1!1!1!1
Obviously for AFD

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Introducing:
Metromans

(Not metromons. Metromans.)
Rules:
  1. Every pokemon is legal.
  2. Every move is legal.
  3. Every ability is legal.
  4. Every item is legal.
  5. Every pokemon will become clefable.
  6. Every move will become metronome.
  7. Every ability will become cute charm.
  8. Every item will become leppa berry.
  9. EVs will become 85/85/85/85/85/85.
  10. IVs will become 31/31/31/31/31/31.
Please discuss and gibe feedback!!!1!1!1!1!1
Obviously for AFD
It would be better with drampa

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Reaction Action

Premise:
When your ability vocally activates, the first move in your moveslot activates (once per turn).

FAQ:
-This only applies to vocal abilities, meaning the ability must announce that it is activating. This means that an ability like Intimidate would trigger the effect on switch in, but an ability like Huge Power would never. Abilities like Swift Swim would also not trigger this effect, as Swift Swim never announces its affect.
-The priority for the reaction effect happens immediately after the ability has done its function. So if Weak Armor activates, the user will have its stats changed, and then use its first move.
-This effect only triggers once per turn, once per ability. So even if the ability activates multiple times the same turn, the reaction effect only happens the first time that turn. The reaction can happen for that ability the next turn.

Abilities that are affected: Aftermath, Air Lock, Anger Point, Anticipation, Aura Break, Bad Dreams, Battle Bond, Beast Boost, Berserk, Bulletproof, Cheek Pouch, Clear Body, Cloud Nine, Color Change, Competitive, Cursed Body, Cute Charm, Damp (?), Dancer, Dark Aura, Dazzling, Defiant, Delta Stream, Desolate Land, Disguise, Download, Drizzle, Drought, Dry Skin, Effect Spore, Electric Surge, Emergency Exit, Fairy Aura, Flame Body, Flash Fire, Forecast, Forewarn, Frisk, Full Metal Body, Gooey, Harvest, Hydration (?), Hyper Cutter, Ice Body, Illusion (when the illusion breaks?), Immunity (?), Imposter, Innards Out, Intimidate, Iron Barbs, Justified, Levitate, Lightning Rod, Liquid Ooze, Magic Bounce, Magician, Misty Surge, Mold Breaker, Motor Drive, Moxie, Mummy, Natural Cure, Parental Bond, Pickpocket, Pickup, Poison Heal, Poison Point, Poison Touch (?), Power Construct, Pressure, Primordial Sea, Protean, Psychic Surge, Queenly Majesty, Rain Dish, Rattled, Rough Skin, Sand Stream, Sap Sipper, Schooling, Shed Skin, Shields Down, Slow Start (start and finish?), Snow Warning, Solar Power, Soul Heart, Soundproof, Speed Boost, Stamina, Stance Change, Static, Steadfast, Sticky Hold, Storm Drain, Sturdy, Suction Cups (?), Synchronize, Tangling Hair, Teravolt, Trace, Truant, Turboblaze, Unnerve, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Water Compaction, Weak Armor, White Smoke, Wimp Out, Wonder Guard (?), Zen Mode.
(Abilities with a "?" are ones I think are vocal with their activation, but I'm not sure. I also could have missed some.)

Bans: OU banlist, and then moves banned from the first move slot: pivot moves (U-Turn, ect), phasing moves (Roar, Dragon Tail, ect), probably more abusive ones.

Sets:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scarf Lando gets up Stealth Rock on switch in right away. Or, it could get an EQ immediately, causing good damage and lets you switch into it with some offense. Theres even Rock Tomb if you want to slow the opponent and guarantee the out speed.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss / Toxic / Heal Bell / Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rest

Natural Cure activates on switch out, so Chansey can Rest off damage, and then get one last move in on the switch out.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Hammer Arm

Truant's "loafing around" activation means Slaking can ignore both the downsides of Giga Impact and Truant! It'll still be locked into it's first move during the Truant turns, but that can be a greta advantage.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Gyra can get the DD with Intimidate on the switch in, and then once more when it megas with Mold Breaker! Totally a scary switch in.

Thoughts on the Meta:
-Mons that have the affected abilities are without doubt the most viable, and more so are the abilities that activate on switch in or consistently throughout the game. Intimidate and Mold Breaker already have a good affect, but now similar abilities like Pressure, Forewarn, Anticipation and more can abuse the immediate activation. Alternatively, abilities like Speed Boost and Poison Heal activate at the end of the turn, but can be done multiple times without switching.
-Damage dealing moves will probably be very popular for first moveslots. Being able to attack multiple times or immediately in a turn will be absurd, but many other defensive options might be able to counter this. If it proves to be too centralizing and OP, maybe I can change the premise to only include status moves.
-On being similar to Last Will: The biggest differences to me is that Last Will's activation is once and only on KO. That severely limits the strategy and team building creativity of the meta, whereas here the meta revolves around the constant activation. To me, that is a clear and distinct difference on multiple levels.

Questions:
-As always, better name ideas?
-Any other broken sets?
-Any other abilities I missed or miss-labeled?

Komala @ Protective Pads
Ability: Comatose
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk
-Sleep Talk
-U-turn
-empty slot
-empty slot

Hypno @ Protective Pads
Ability: Forewarn
Adamant Nature
-Assist
-empty slot
-empty slot
-empty slot

Jynx @ Protective Pads
Adamant Nature
-Copycat
-empty slot
-empty slot
-empty slot

Might want to ban moves that call other moves from the first slot too.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Reaction Action

Premise:
When your ability vocally activates, the first move in your moveslot activates (once per turn).

FAQ:
-This only applies to vocal abilities, meaning the ability must announce that it is activating. This means that an ability like Intimidate would trigger the effect on switch in, but an ability like Huge Power would never. Abilities like Swift Swim would also not trigger this effect, as Swift Swim never announces its affect.
-The priority for the reaction effect happens immediately after the ability has done its function. So if Weak Armor activates, the user will have its stats changed, and then use its first move.
-This effect only triggers once per turn, once per ability. So even if the ability activates multiple times the same turn, the reaction effect only happens the first time that turn. The reaction can happen for that ability the next turn.

Abilities that are affected: Aftermath, Air Lock, Anger Point, Anticipation, Aura Break, Bad Dreams, Battle Bond, Beast Boost, Berserk, Bulletproof, Cheek Pouch, Clear Body, Cloud Nine, Color Change, Competitive, Cursed Body, Cute Charm, Damp (?), Dancer, Dark Aura, Dazzling, Defiant, Delta Stream, Desolate Land, Disguise, Download, Drizzle, Drought, Dry Skin, Effect Spore, Electric Surge, Emergency Exit, Fairy Aura, Flame Body, Flash Fire, Forecast, Forewarn, Frisk, Full Metal Body, Gooey, Harvest, Hydration (?), Hyper Cutter, Ice Body, Illusion (when the illusion breaks?), Immunity (?), Imposter, Innards Out, Intimidate, Iron Barbs, Justified, Levitate, Lightning Rod, Liquid Ooze, Magic Bounce, Magician, Misty Surge, Mold Breaker, Motor Drive, Moxie, Mummy, Natural Cure, Parental Bond, Pickpocket, Pickup, Poison Heal, Poison Point, Poison Touch (?), Power Construct, Pressure, Primordial Sea, Protean, Psychic Surge, Queenly Majesty, Rain Dish, Rattled, Rough Skin, Sand Stream, Sap Sipper, Schooling, Shed Skin, Shields Down, Slow Start (start and finish?), Snow Warning, Solar Power, Soul Heart, Soundproof, Speed Boost, Stamina, Stance Change, Static, Steadfast, Sticky Hold, Storm Drain, Sturdy, Suction Cups (?), Synchronize, Tangling Hair, Teravolt, Trace, Truant, Turboblaze, Unnerve, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Water Compaction, Weak Armor, White Smoke, Wimp Out, Wonder Guard (?), Zen Mode.
(Abilities with a "?" are ones I think are vocal with their activation, but I'm not sure. I also could have missed some.)

Bans: OU banlist, and then moves banned from the first move slot: pivot moves (U-Turn, ect), phasing moves (Roar, Dragon Tail, ect), probably more abusive ones.

Sets:

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scarf Lando gets up Stealth Rock on switch in right away. Or, it could get an EQ immediately, causing good damage and lets you switch into it with some offense. Theres even Rock Tomb if you want to slow the opponent and guarantee the out speed.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rest

Natural Cure activates on switch out, so Chansey can Rest off damage, and then get one last move in on the switch out.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Hammer Arm

Truant's "loafing around" activation means Slaking can ignore both the downsides of Giga Impact and Truant! It'll still be locked into it's first move during the Truant turns, but that can be a greta advantage.

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Gyra can get the DD with Intimidate on the switch in, and then once more when it megas with Mold Breaker! Totally a scary switch in.

Thoughts on the Meta:
-Mons that have the affected abilities are without doubt the most viable, and more so are the abilities that activate on switch in or consistently throughout the game. Intimidate and Mold Breaker already have a good affect, but now similar abilities like Pressure, Forewarn, Anticipation and more can abuse the immediate activation. Alternatively, abilities like Speed Boost and Poison Heal activate at the end of the turn, but can be done multiple times without switching.
-Damage dealing moves will probably be very popular for first moveslots. Being able to attack multiple times or immediately in a turn will be absurd, but many other defensive options might be able to counter this. If it proves to be too centralizing and OP, maybe I can change the premise to only include status moves.
-On being similar to Last Will: The biggest differences to me is that Last Will's activation is once and only on KO. That severely limits the strategy and team building creativity of the meta, whereas here the meta revolves around the constant activation. To me, that is a clear and distinct difference on multiple levels.

Questions:
-Any other broken sets?
This is very similar to Trademarked. (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trademarked.3572949/) What does it offer over the reintroduction of that meta?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Komala @ Protective Pads
Ability: Comatose
Adamant Nature
-Sleep Talk
-U-turn
-empty slot
-empty slot

Hypno @ Protective Pads
Adamant Nature
-Assist
-empty slot
-empty slot
-empty slot

Jynx @ Protective Pads
Adamant Nature
-Copycat
-empty slot
-empty slot
-empty slot

Might want to ban moves that call other moves from the first slot too.
Does Comatose ever activate vocally? I thought it was a passive ability, so there would be no message of "Komala's Comatose activated!" So that shouldn't be a problem. I do see how assist can call say U-Turn on a the switch in for an endless loop, so Assist probably has to go.

This is very similar to Trademarked. (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trademarked.3572949/) What does it offer over the reintroduction of that meta?

So the biggest differences here are the inclusion of damage dealing moves in the effect, the inclusion of still retaining the users ability, how the effect is activated, and the limitation of which mons are affected by the meta. Having damage dealing moves as the reaction makes this meta heavily focused on the immediate or constant damage that can be done just by switching in or at the the end of the turn. Furthermore, this meta lets the user gain the advantage of Intimidate or Poison Heal without a sacrifice of ability. Theres also the function of to which how the effect is triggered. In Trademarked, the abilities only copy an enter battle trigger, where as in my meta abilities are triggered normally as they are in game. This makes for many different ways to activate the reaction, leading for creative sets or teams trying to take advantage of this effect. Lastly, Trademarked let every mon be able to trade there status move for their ability, where as here only the mons with one of the listed trigger abilities can use this new effect. This is a limitation that I believe works in my meta's favor, but even then its worth noting that these abilities cover a wide range of pokemon to use (36 out of the 48 OU mons have one of these abilities). Even if the mon does not have one of the triggering abilities, there are still a ton of useful abilities and sets out there that can compliment teams. For example, a rain team that wants to take advantage of Rain Dish could still want a Swift Swim user or two.

In all fairness, I do believe my four reasons are very distinguishable from Trademarked.

Comatose certainly does announce itself on arrival, just like Mold Breaker: "Komala is drowsing!"

What about Role Play and Skill Swap? Even if your own ability isn't normally one that uses a visible pop-up, Role Play makes two ability pop-up messages appear: one for the old, and one for the new. Does that mean you get to use your first move here as well, possibly even twice in a row? Then you have Skill Swap making two ability pop-ups for both players.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Comatose certainly does announce itself on arrival, just like Mold Breaker: "Komala is drowsing!"

What about Role Play and Skill Swap? Even if your own ability isn't normally one that uses a visible pop-up, Role Play makes two ability pop-up messages appear: one for the old, and one for the new. Does that mean you get to use your first move here as well, possibly even twice in a row? Then you have Skill Swap making two ability pop-ups for both players.
The reaction effect is once per turn, once per ability. So as long as the ability is changed or reintroduced, it can activate again that turn. So yes, twice in a row.

Reaction Action

Premise:

FAQ:

Sets:

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rest

Slaking @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Hammer Arm

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Thoughts on the Meta:

Questions:
-Any other broken sets?
TFW Volcarona has no reliable activation ability FeelsBadMan.

Anyway, if I can't make my favorite bug broken, how about a different bug?

Scolipede @ Waterium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

You get +2 attack and +1 speed every turn. That's pretty terrifying.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

As with pretty much any Bug type, you'll need a hazard remover. Luckily, we have two that remove hazards upon switching in!

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Speaking of hazards, here's a near guaranteed three layers of Spikes and one layer of Toxic Spikes.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Does Comatose ever activate vocally? I thought it was a passive ability, so there would be no message of "Komala's Comatose activated!" So that shouldn't be a problem. I do see how assist can call say U-Turn on a the switch in for an endless loop, so Assist probably has to go.

So the biggest differences here are the inclusion of damage dealing moves in the effect, the inclusion of still retaining the users ability, how the effect is activated, and the limitation of which mons are affected by the meta. Having damage dealing moves as the reaction makes this meta heavily focused on the immediate or constant damage that can be done just by switching in or at the the end of the turn. Furthermore, this meta lets the user gain the advantage of Intimidate or Poison Heal without a sacrifice of ability. Theres also the function of to which how the effect is triggered. In Trademarked, the abilities only copy an enter battle trigger, where as in my meta abilities are triggered normally as they are in game. This makes for many different ways to activate the reaction, leading for creative sets or teams trying to take advantage of this effect. Lastly, Trademarked let every mon be able to trade there status move for their ability, where as here only the mons with one of the listed trigger abilities can use this new effect. This is a limitation that I believe works in my meta's favor, but even then its worth noting that these abilities cover a wide range of pokemon to use (36 out of the 48 OU mons have one of these abilities). Even if the mon does not have one of the triggering abilities, there are still a ton of useful abilities and sets out there that can compliment teams. For example, a rain team that wants to take advantage of Rain Dish could still want a Swift Swim user or two.

In all fairness, I do believe my four reasons are very distinguishable from Trademarked.
I like the idea of being able to use abilities that trigger at different points in the turn to use different strategies.

You would need to keep an eye on boosting and nukes in general. Overall this meta looks tricky to balance because so much is likely to be broken. Substitute may be broken (Gliscor can abuse Poison Heal to be basically immune to attacks, and in general it provides safe revenge killing) but I would hold off on banning it until you see the meta in action.

How do you intend for choice items to work? Can I run Scarf Nasty Plot Porygon-Z to get a +3 +1 Pokemon in one turn? Would I be locked into Nasty Plot or free to spam Ice Meme?

That's all for now

Once you get locked into a move (suchas by getting Download and using your first move), you will not be able to select any moves other than the one you're locked into. Furthermore, any triggered attempt to use a move other than the one you're locked into (e.g. CB Speed Boost Scolipede, you click Swords Dance on turn 1, and have Megahorn in the first slot) will fail without even using a PP on the locked-out move, by analog to how similar situations work with Dancer.

If you could use Protean on a move that was different types every time, you could conceivably go on a rampage of self-triggering moves until you run out of PP. Such a shame, then, that Protean Kecleon is locked out of access to Metronome, and no other move available to Kecleon or Greninja even comes close.

Greninja could use Protect along with any non-Normal move in slot 1 so as to reset the counter and be guaranteed 16 turns of working Protect in a row, but that's not all it's cracked up to be here, as even Protect priority is below that of a switch, so it won't help to block switch-speed moves.

GENMONS OM
This is just a rough draft of what could be present in the OM. It will most likely not be added, but it could be cool.

-Every Pokémon has the stats and ability that they had in the gen that they first debuted in (for instance, Alakazam would not have an ability, but would instead essentially have a base 135 spatk and spdef).
-Moves would behave like they did in the gen that they debuted in (for instance, knock off would be a special attack with only 20 base power)
-Hidden Power would have the same attributes that it had back in Gen 2
-Items that didn't come back for Gen 7 would come back for Genmons, like Berserk Gene and the Gems
(Could lead to interesting set ups such as Berserk Gene Hawlucha in Misty Terrain for instance)
-In the battle simulator window, the Pokémon would have the sprites from the games that they debuted in. Gengar would have his Gen 1 sprite, Gliscor would have his Gen 4 sprite, Golisopod would have his Gen 7 model etc.
-Mega Evolutions will behave like they always have
-Despite not being able to originally, Gen 1 Pokémon can hold items in Genmons
-Pokémon will still keep their current movepools

https://pastebin.com/MN5BkgaT

Z Stats

What if Z moves had a stat equivalent? This came from my brainstorming on what the new games' new mechanic will be.

The meta would add 5 new items: Attackium Z, Defensium Z, Special Attackium Z, Special Defensium Z, and Speedium Z. Equipping it on a Pokemon allows them to use the Z crystal to boost a stat by one stage permanently throughout the match. This would enable mons to behave as if they were choiced without being locked into a move, while others could patch up weaknesses in their defenses. Like normal Z moves, only one per team is allowed, and it would most likely be one Z item per team in general (if you use a Z Stat then no Z moves and vice versa).

Questions: What would become more viable or go from unviable to viable? Would anything get worse? What would become broken? Is giving up a Z move in favor of a Z Stat worth it, or vice versa? Are stats reasonable for the new game gimmick^TM?

GENMONS OM
Just a few notes:
1) There is already a old gen 6 om called Genmons, that had a different change then yours, and hence, a different metagame. I think you need to change your name if you want to submit that metagame, but I have no ideas on what to change it to.
2) On the example on unreleased items, Hawlucha would actually still get confused, because as a flying type, it wouldn't get the benefit from Misty Terrain. Maybe Hitmonlee would be a better example?
3) How would mega evolved pokemon have their stats changed? For example, Alakazam would have 135 SpD in here, but should it mega evolved, would it's SpD decrease back to its original expected stat of 75, or simply keep the old one?

Equipping it on a Pokemon allows them to use the Z crystal to boost a stat by one stage permanently throughout the match. This would enable mons to behave as if they were choiced without being locked into a move, while others could patch up weaknesses in their defenses
How exactly would this stat boost be applied? Is it like a choice item, or would it be an announced stat boost? Will it be affected by Haze, Heart Swap or switching out? The worry I have is that if it can be removed, then it would typically be outclassed by all-boost Z-moves like Z-Celebrate and Z-Conversion.

-Moves would behave like they did in the gen that they debuted in (for instance, knock off would be a special attack with only 20 base power)
Oh boy, say hello to one of the most broken moves in Pokemon history. G1 Blizzard:
120 base power
90% accuracy
And if we're going for true original debut function, a 30% chance to freeze.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's also the reintroduction of the horror that is G1 partial trapping moves.

Dragonite @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hone Claws
- Wrap
- Dragon Rush

Dragonite @ Sea Incense
Ability: Inner Focus
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hone Claws
- Whirlpool
- Dragon Pulse

Take your pick. Hit harder overall, or stunlock Ghost types? Either way, Bind, Clamp, Wrap, Fire Spin, and Whirlpool are all disgusting, and with new ways of increasing speed, and more importantly accuracy, I think they should banned.

Last edited:
Another weird idea I had:

Abilimoves
Premise:
Pokemon can gain abilities during a battle by using a moveslot for their ability of choice. For instance, a Landorus-T could gain Magic Bounce by using the move Magic Bounce.

Bans & Threats:
Bans would be probably be ability-related, so no dumb stuff like:
  • Wonder Guard
  • Huge/Pure Power (maybe? You still need a turn to set it up)
  • Comatose + Phasing Moves
And things to consider would be:
  • Speed Boost (gives you a +1 no matter what)
  • Contrary/Beast Boost (allow easy snowballing)
The most interesting part of the OM for me is probably that you have to sacrifice a move for an ability, meaning you're restricted to 3 moves which can be really limiting - though the benefits are huge.

Example:

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Comatose
This set isn't really amazing, but it showcases how the OM would work: Comatose on Tapu Bulu prevents it from being statused, which is a problem it often faces.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)