Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So inheritance but only if you share types?
Yep, pretty much. I ran this past the crew on the OM Discord to see if it could stand on its own before I posted anything, knowing that this was close to a pre-existing OM. Because of the additional restrictions I'd like to think this would lead to even more creative teambuilding (with no offense intended toward the Inheritance metagame itself, of course). There are minor rule differences between the two metas (such as Masquerade allowing Megas to retain the ability donated to them, and only certain Megas being legal to begin with) but they do share similar mechanics.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yep, pretty much. I ran this past the crew on the OM Discord to see if it could stand on its own before I posted anything, knowing that this was close to a pre-existing OM. Because of the additional restrictions I'd like to think this would lead to even more creative teambuilding (with no offense intended toward the Inheritance metagame itself, of course). There are minor rule differences between the two metas (such as Masquerade allowing Megas to retain the ability donated to them, and only certain Megas being legal to begin with) but they do share similar mechanics.
Additional restrictions don't make a new OM. These restrictions also limit teambuilding too much in my opinion.

Understood. Well, considering this is a workshop environment and all, could I put it to the group just to speculate on some sets, using the structure I put in place? I know this will never become an actual OM, but I still would like to see what other strategic minds could come up with, for the sake of discussion.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Understood. Well, considering this is a workshop environment and all, could I put it to the group just to speculate on some sets, using the structure I put in place? I know this will never become an actual OM, but I still would like to see what other strategic minds could come up with, for the sake of discussion.
I mean you can definitely find a community for it. It would be playable through the regular inheritance format. I’ll try to come up with strategies later.

Arai

aka the situation
Masquerade

Metagame premise: The gimmick of this OU-based Metagame is that all Pokemon lose their entire native movepools and abilities, but in exchange, acquire the movepool and ability of another Pokemon that shares their exact typing.

Only Pokemon who are their type outside of battle are legal for use in this metagame. This means that Pokemon who achieve typing only inside of battle, by any of the following methods can only inherit or be inherited by Pokemon matching their natural type (ex. Normal/Psychic for Meloetta, Fire for Darmanitan):
  • Mega Evolution​
  • As a result of a move, ex. Meloetta, Conversion, Burn Up​
    • Being hit by Soak or similar does not affect who a Pokemon can receive from.​

• As a result of an ability, ex. Darmanitan-Zen, Protean​
  • Pokemon such as Silvally whose typing can be adjusted but is static within a battle are legal only as the type they are; Silvally holding a Memory counts as a monotype of that type, and Silvally not holding a Memory counts as monotype Normal. In either case Silvally can be used as either a donator or recipient but only as long as it matches the type of the other Pokemon.
Pokemon which can Mega Evolve/Primal Reversion can only be used as recipients if their post-Mega typing matches their pre-Mega typing exactly. They retain the ability and moveset of the Pokemon they inherited from both before and after Mega-Evolving.
  • Mega-evolved Pokemon cannot donate to another Pokemon, even those whose type they match; only pre-Mega Pokemon can donate. (ex. Groudon can donate to Dugtrio, but Primal Groudon cannot donate to Camerupt)
  • M-Garchomp would be legal for use but M-Altaria would not because of the change in typing.
    • The following Pokemon have Mega Evolutions/Primal Reversions which match their pre-Mega typing: Venusaur, Charizard (Y only), Blastoise, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Slowbro, Alakazam, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Aerodactyl, Mewtwo (Y only), Steelix, Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Sableye, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Banette, Absol, Glailie, Salamence, Metagross, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Lucario, Abomasnow, Gallade, Diancie, Kyogre. These Pokemon being used as Mega-Evolutions are still dependent on OU validity.
Inheriting both the moveset and the ability is compulsory.
  • If a Pokemon has no other Pokemon with its typing (ex. Ninetales-A, Shedinja) it cannot be used in this metagame.
  • If the only Pokemon with its typing are members of its evolutionary line (ex. Volcarona, Ludicolo) you are forced to use only the moves it inherits from its evolutionary relative; if inheriting from Larvesta, Volcarona loses access to stage-exclusive moves like Hurricane, Fiery Dance, and Quiver Dance, for example, but retains all of the moves it normally can learn through Larvesta, such as Flare Blitz. (please see Community Questions below for speculation on this rule)
  • Abilities which cause changes to types, appearance, or base stats (ex. Shields Down, RKS System, Multitype, Flower Gift, Schooling) function with no effect when donated to other Pokemon. In this case, the recipient still gains the movepool of the donator but an ability with no effects in battle (like Run Away).

Potential bans and threats: There are separate banlists for donators and receivers.
The following Pokemon cannot be used as receivers:
  • Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops?
  • Pheromosa?
The following Abilities cannot be donated:
  • Power Construct
  • Disguise
  • Color Change
  • Protean?
  • Shadow Tag
  • Arena Trap?
The following Pokemon cannot be used as donators:
  • Chatot
  • Smeargle
  • Mew
  • Ditto
  • Zygarde?
  • Porygon-Z
  • Arceus
The following moves cannot be donated:
  • Shell Smash
With regards to threats, I've developed quite a few that display the scope of creativity that could arise from some combinations of donator and receiver.
Format: ("Donator") Recipient
"Azumarill" Tapu Fini @ Huge Power, Normalium Z/Sitrus Berry
Belly Drum or Liquidation/Liquidation or Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Ice Punch or Superpower or Knock Off
This Tapu Fini set capitalizes on its superior inherent bulk, Attack, and Speed and therefore outspeeds more things, making it less reliant on Aqua Jet and able to spend more time smashing things with its other moves.

"Poliwrath" Keldeo @ Swift Swim, Life Orb/Waterium Z
Scald or Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Focus Blast/Psychic or Hypnosis or Rain Dance
Granting Keldeo access to a solid Ice move and a more useful ability than it normally has access to. Psychic does good damage to Mega Venusaur.

"Bellossom Tangrwoth @ Chlorphyll, Leftovers
Quiver Dance/Giga Drain/Strength Sap/Moonblast or HP Ground
Bolstering Tangrowth's solid Sp. Attack while helping its lacking Sp. Defense and Speed. Strength Sap is a great recovery move.

"Drilbur" Marowak @ Mold Breaker, Thick Club
Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin/Earthquake/Rock Slide
Able to get Stealth Rocks up through Magic Bounce users, and STAB Earthquake off of its Thick Club-boosted attack hits through Levitate.

"Dunsparce" Snorlax @ Serene Grace, Leftovers
Body Slam/Coil/Roost/Earthquake or Bite
With respectable natural bulk and Attack power, Body Slam serves as a reliable attacking move with a 60% paralysis chance. Coil and Roost serve as your boosting and healing options (essentially a better Curse) and the last move is for type coverage.

Questions for the community:
  • I chose the name Masquerade on the premise of one Pokemon taking on the character/identity of another. Does it make sense and if not, any suggestions to replace it?
  • I have not considered any Ubers which may be unbanned in light of losing abilities/movepools which help them achieve that tiering (Blaziken, Deoxys formes, Darkrai, Genesect, for example). Are any of these, or others, worth consideration?
  • I am undecided on whether or not to allow Pokemon to receive movepools/abilities from their own evolved/pre-evolved forms (ie Blissey donating to Chansey). In many cases this allows the receiver to function as they normally would in normal play, which is against the spirit of the metagame. Where do you stand on this concept?
  • Any of the above Banned items marked with a question mark are open to debate but I'm currently on the side of ban for. I'd love to hear feedback for these as well.
Since you've banned some Ubers as donors, I assume the rest of Ubers are fine. Anyway, here are some sets:

1570744204558.png

Lunala (Hoopa) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Okay so this thing gets more Sp. Atk than Lunala meaning it will hit harder, sadly it is slower but with it's scarf set that isn't much of a problem for our little friend. It also gets Shadow Shield which can be extremely useful. It still gets access to some useful moves it normally gets, such as Focus Blast which has great neutral coverage in conjuction with Moongeist Beam, whereas it can hit Normal-types and Moongeist hits Ghost-types.

1570744480579.png

Malamar (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Happy Hour
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off
Speaking of hoopa, this exists too. This thing has 160 base Attack and is able to inherit from Malamar giving it Contrary and Superpower. It also gets access to Z-Happy Hour giving boosts to all of its stats which helps with outspeeding opponents. Even after having such strength, it also gets a lot of bulk, hitting 130 Sp.Def and 80 HP.

Masquerade

Metagame premise: The gimmick of this OU-based Metagame is that all Pokemon lose their entire native movepools and abilities, but in exchange, acquire the movepool and ability of another Pokemon that shares their exact typing.

Only Pokemon who are their type outside of battle are legal for use in this metagame. This means that Pokemon who achieve typing only inside of battle, by any of the following methods can only inherit or be inherited by Pokemon matching their natural type (ex. Normal/Psychic for Meloetta, Fire for Darmanitan):
  • Mega Evolution​

• Pokemon such as Silvally whose typing can be adjusted but is static within a battle are legal only as the type they are; Silvally holding a Memory counts as a monotype of that type, and Silvally not holding a Memory counts as monotype Normal. In either case Silvally can be used as either a donator or recipient but only as long as it matches the type of the other Pokemon.
Pokemon which can Mega Evolve/Primal Reversion can only be used as recipients if their post-Mega typing matches their pre-Mega typing exactly. They retain the ability and moveset of the Pokemon they inherited from both before and after Mega-Evolving.
  • Mega-evolved Pokemon cannot donate to another Pokemon, even those whose type they match; only pre-Mega Pokemon can donate. (ex. Groudon can donate to Dugtrio, but Primal Groudon cannot donate to Camerupt)
  • M-Garchomp would be legal for use but M-Altaria would not because of the change in typing.
    • The following Pokemon have Mega Evolutions/Primal Reversions which match their pre-Mega typing: Venusaur, Charizard (Y only), Blastoise, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Alakazam, Slowbro, Alakazam, Gengar, Kangaskhan, Aerodactyl, Mewtwo (Y only), Steelix, Scizor, Heracross, Houndoom, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Sableye, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Banette, Absol, Glailie, Salamence, Metagross, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Lucario, Abomasnow, Gallade, Diancie, Kyogre. These Pokemon being used as Mega-Evolutions are still dependent on OU validity.
  • If a Pokemon has no other Pokemon with its typing (ex. Ninetales-A, Shedinja) it cannot be used in this metagame.
  • If the only Pokemon with its typing are members of its evolutionary line (ex. Volcarona, Ludicolo) you are forced to use only the moves it inherits from its evolutionary relative; if inheriting from Larvesta, Volcarona loses access to stage-exclusive moves like Hurricane, Fiery Dance, and Quiver Dance, for example, but retains all of the moves it normally can learn through Larvesta, such as Flare Blitz. (please see Community Questions below for speculation on this rule)
  • Abilities which cause changes to types, appearance, or base stats (ex. Shields Down, RKS System, Multitype, Flower Gift, Schooling) function with no effect when donated to other Pokemon. In this case, the recipient still gains the movepool of the donator but an ability with no effects in battle (like Run Away).

Potential bans and threats: There are separate banlists for donators and receivers.
  • Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops?
  • Pheromosa?
  • Power Construct
  • Disguise
  • Color Change
  • Protean?
  • Shadow Tag
  • Arena Trap?
  • Chatot
  • Smeargle
  • Mew
  • Ditto
  • Zygarde?
  • Porygon-Z
  • Arceus
  • Shell Smash
With regards to threats, I've developed quite a few that display the scope of creativity that could arise from some combinations of donator and receiver.
Belly Drum or Liquidation/Liquidation or Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Ice Punch or Superpower or Knock Off
This Tapu Fini set capitalizes on its superior inherent bulk, Attack, and Speed and therefore outspeeds more things, making it less reliant on Aqua Jet and able to spend more time smashing things with its other moves.

Granting Keldeo access to a solid Ice move and a more useful ability than it normally has access to. Psychic does good damage to Mega Venusaur.

Bolstering Tangrowth's solid Sp. Attack while helping its lacking Sp. Defense and Speed. Strength Sap is a great recovery move.

Able to get Stealth Rocks up through Magic Bounce users, and STAB Earthquake off of its Thick Club-boosted attack hits through Levitate.

With respectable natural bulk and Attack power, Body Slam serves as a reliable attacking move with a 60% paralysis chance. Coil and Roost serve as your boosting and healing options (essentially a better Curse) and the last move is for type coverage.

• I chose the name Masquerade on the premise of one Pokemon taking on the character/identity of another. Does it make sense and if not, any suggestions to replace it?
  • I have not considered any Ubers which may be unbanned in light of losing abilities/movepools which help them achieve that tiering (Blaziken, Deoxys formes, Darkrai, Genesect, for example). Are any of these, or others, worth consideration?
  • I am undecided on whether or not to allow Pokemon to receive movepools/abilities from their own evolved/pre-evolved forms (ie Blissey donating to Chansey). In many cases this allows the receiver to function as they normally would in normal play, which is against the spirit of the metagame. Where do you stand on this concept?
  • Any of the above Banned items marked with a question mark are open to debate but I'm currently on the side of ban for. I'd love to hear feedback for these as well.
I don't really like megas having some special conditions where both forms need to have the same typing. They're not forms attainable outside of battle, so just ignore them like you do with all the rest. There's no need for a giant asterisk. I'm also not entirely sold on megas keeping their ability.

Why the hell is Color Change banned? It's not a good ability.

Why is Porygon-Z banned? There's only one Pokemon that could possibly do its job of special sweeper better, and that's Silvally. And Porygon-Z has a terrible physical movepool, so that's a non-issue.

This line was written after everything else, after having read over the rules another time. It looks like you're banning all in-battle type changing outside of Soak. Please don't do that.

Some sets. For my own convenience, the receiver is the nickname. Some sets only work with the changes I suggested.

->

Altaria (Rayquaza) @ Altarianite
Ability: Air Lock
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- V-create

Swords Dance + Pixilate Espeed, with Steel-crushing coverage.

->

Accelgor (Volbeat) (M) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm / Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt / Encore
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Encore

Encore can be useful in providing set-up opportunities, but with Accelgor's blistering speed, Prankster isn't always necessary.

->

Golisopod (Araquanid) @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- lol who cares

Stronger Araquanid.

->

Zangoose / Ursaring (Bunnelby) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up

This is honestly kinda gross. Zangoose has decent speed, while Ursaring has crushing power.

->

Celesteela (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

It's Skarmory but with good SpDef.

->

Hydreigon (Guzzlord) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Losing a Ground immunity is the price Hydriegon pays to terrifying snowball potential.

->

Magearna (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind

Klefki, but strong and bulky.

->

Gallade (Medicham) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

Even stronger than Ursaring thanks to High Jump Kick's base power, and only a bit slower than Zangoose.

->

Scizor (Genesect) @ Scizorite
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
Hasty Nature
- Fell Stinger
- Magnet Bomb
- Shift Gear
- Blaze Kick

Technician-boosted Fell Stinger, with Shift Gear to get the ball rolling.

->

Kabutops (Corsola) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Rockium Z patches up Head Smash's abysmal 64% accuracy.

->

Blacephalon (Marowak-Alola) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

F*** Tyranitar.

Masquerade

• Mega Evolution​

• Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops?
  • Pheromosa?
  • Power Construct
  • Disguise
  • Color Change
  • Protean?
  • Shadow Tag
  • Arena Trap?
  • Chatot
  • Smeargle
  • Mew
  • Ditto
  • Zygarde?
  • Porygon-Z
  • Arceus
  • Shell Smash

i like the premise, but i think this should just adopt the stabmons policy of using pre mega typing instead of banning type changing stones all together.

here's some sets:

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Boomburst
- Hurricane

i wonder why chatot's banned...oh. Well, swellow is a good replacement.

Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Careful Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Stomping Tantrum
- Seed Bomb

pretty much the dream lax set

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

bulky egg

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 228 Atk / 48 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Glare
- Thousand Arrows

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 72 SpD / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Psywave
- Recover
- Protect
thicc duck

Shaymin @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute

Had to include my son

Wanted to clear up a few things about some of the responses.

I don't really like megas having some special conditions where both forms need to have the same typing. They're not forms attainable outside of battle, so just ignore them like you do with all the rest. There's no need for a giant asterisk. I'm also not entirely sold on megas keeping their ability.

Why the hell is Color Change banned? It's not a good ability.

Why is Porygon-Z banned? There's only one Pokemon that could possibly do its job of special sweeper better, and that's Silvally. And Porygon-Z has a terrible physical movepool, so that's a non-issue.

This line was written after everything else, after having read over the rules another time. It looks like you're banning all in-battle type changing outside of Soak. Please don't do that.
I'm open to the concept of opening Mega access to all who are OU legal, even those that change type. As I originally developed the idea I thought locking availability to only allow Megas which keep their pre-Mega typing could be a unique trait which removes certain common metagame threats (eg M-Gyarados, M-Pinsir, M-Charizard X) while still keeping many other staples (M-Scizor, M-Charizard Y, M-Venusaur, M-Alakazam), thus creating opportunity for new Pokemon to fill the niches vacated by those that were banned while not seismically eliminating all of the most common Megas and necessitating a full re-settling of the metagame. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to force Megas to retain their donated ability rather than reverting to their normal Mega ability upon changing form; I feel some combinations (for example, Talonflame->M-Charizard Y gives it access to both Gale Wings pre-Mega and Drought afterward) might be a bit too much. There's room for discussion, for sure.

I thought Color Change would be too complicated from a programming standpoint when I wrote the rules - as things stand there's no real reason to ban this so if you want to use Color Change, go ahead.

Porygon-Z is not banned, itself. You can donate TO Porygon-Z, just not use it as a donator because of the potential combination of Z-Conversion and Adaptability along with Recover, Agility, and a movepool which can be used for both physical and special-attacking recipients. Limited as it is, giving something like Ursaring or Stoutland +1 in every stat, Adaptability and STAB Return deals plenty of damage even for physical recipients. If you want to run a Z-Conversion set you can still use Porygon2 as your donator, which I think is more fair because it lacks Adaptability (and Nasty Plot).
Snorlax>Porygon-Z, Immunity or Thick Fat
4 Def / 252 Sp. A / 252 Speed, Timid, Normalium Z
Hyper Voice/Ice Beam/Fire Blast or Focus Blast/Happy Hour
Z-Happy Hour replicates the effect of Z-Conversion, minus the type change. Hyper Voice provides a better STAB attack, normal BoltBeam coverage access, along with supplemental Fire or Fighting attacks to cover Steel and Rock. You could also opt for a Life Orb set for more power and carry 3 coverage attacks, or 3 attacks with Gluttony Recycle and a pinch berry.

Last edited:
Porygon-Z is not banned, itself. You can donate TO Porygon-Z, just not use it as a donator because of the potential combination of Z-Conversion and Adaptability along with Recover, Agility, and a movepool which can be used for both physical and special-attacking recipients. Limited as it is, giving something like Ursaring or Stoutland +1 in every stat, Adaptability and STAB Return deals plenty of damage even for physical recipients. If you want to run a Z-Conversion set you can still use Porygon2 as your donator, which I think is more fair because it lacks Adaptability (and Nasty Plot).
I know Porygon-Z is only banned from donating (I worded it poorly) but it still should not be banned. Porygon-Z may have a terrific movepool for a special attacker, but you have to remember that it can only be donated to other pure Normal types. Porygon-Z is already the best non-Uber special-attacking pure Normal type based on stats alone, so anything that gets Porygon-Z's movepool will just be a worse Porygon-Z. Only Silvally has the potential to not be completely outclassed due to higher speed and bulk, at the cost of a lot of power. And physical sets are laughably bad, because they're hard walled by literally every Steel-type.

I know Porygon-Z is only banned from donating (I worded it poorly) but it still should not be banned. Porygon-Z may have a terrific movepool for a special attacker, but you have to remember that it can only be donated to other pure Normal types. Porygon-Z is already the best non-Uber special-attacking pure Normal type based on stats alone, so anything that gets Porygon-Z's movepool will just be a worse Porygon-Z. Only Silvally has the potential to not be completely outclassed due to higher speed and bulk, at the cost of a lot of power. And physical sets are laughably bad, because they're hard walled by literally every Steel-type.
Oh ok, that makes more sense. I agree with the point about Z being the best mono-Normal special attacker; might be interesting to see something like Porygon2 or Type: Null take its movepool for a special attacker thanks to the superior bulk to play more of a tank role. I think you've made a good point about P-Z and I'll un-ban him from the donate list.

Arai

aka the situation
Masquerade

• Mega Evolution​

• Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops?
  • Pheromosa?
  • Power Construct
  • Disguise
  • Color Change
  • Protean?
  • Shadow Tag
  • Arena Trap?
  • Chatot
  • Smeargle
  • Mew
  • Ditto
  • Zygarde?
  • Arceus
  • Shell Smash

1570826159249.png

Darkrai (Zoroark) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder
Say hello to Baby Darkrai. While this set is incredibly incosistent with it's Hypnosis, it can still end up being fun. However a Pokemon like this should never be used for consistent wins, it's still quite fun though if you do manage to get lucky.

1570826796767.png

Mewtwo (Alakazam-Mega) @ Alakazite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 Def / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
Okay so Alakazam here is both stronger in Sp.Atk and also faster than Mewtwo, however it's a lot frailer. STAB Psystrike is guaranteed to hit hard on most things that aren't Dark-type. Ice beam offers some nice coverage. Fire Blast is helpful for Steel-types which Psychic moves are inefficient against and Calm Mind is a generally good move to carry for sweeping potential. Recover may also be useful due to how frail Alakazam is.

Here's my idea for an OM
Power Tricked: All pokemon have their attack and defence stats swapped. All OU clauses.
Potential Bans: Cloyster, mons with 200+ base defense
Potential Unbans: Aegislash, as it's now awful on the physical side.
There may be more bans and unbans since I only spent 10 minutes thinking about what should be banned/unbanned.

Here's my idea for an OM
Power Tricked: All pokemon have their attack and defence stats swapped. All OU clauses.
There may be more bans and unbans since I only spent 10 minutes thinking about what should be banned/unbanned.
Aegislash is nerfed on more than just the physical side (which is good, because it mainly ran special sets). I'm still a bit hesitant to unban it, just because of how obnoxious King's Shield is, but it's definitely on the table.

Pheromosa is a mon that I think would be interesting to see unbanned, at least temporarily. This is because its role gets completely flipped on its head. Instead of being a terrifying offensive threat, it's a speedy defensive Pokemon, using moves like Rapid Spin, Roost, U-turn, Toxic, Taunt, and Foul Play.

Hoopa becomes MUCH bulkier, especially on the physical side, while still retaining good special attack.

There are a lot of bulky Pokemon that become super strong, but they're slow and now very frail, so I'm not TOO worried about them. However, they do sound very scary on Trick Room, and no Pokemon exemplifies this more than Stakataka.

These Pokemon all have items or abilities that double their offensive power, and have defensive stats that are usually higher than their offensive stats.

Masquerade

• Mega Evolution​

• Slaking
  • Regigigas
  • Archeops?
  • Pheromosa?
  • Power Construct
  • Disguise
  • Color Change
  • Protean?
  • Shadow Tag
  • Arena Trap?
  • Chatot
  • Smeargle
  • Mew
  • Ditto
  • Zygarde?
  • Arceus
  • Shell Smash

Wait, this is basically just the same OM idea I posted in the previous page, just inverse!

Been waiting for someone to post so I could avoid double posting. I mostly looked at Pokemon that got buffed defensively, as I think that's more interesting than "fat mon that now hits super hard".

These three Spikers are now decently bulky, though only Roserade retains good offensive power.

Infernape can consistently set up Rocks throughout a match thanks to having access to reliable recovery in Slack Off.

With its immense speed and bulk, Mega Sceptile is a fearsome Sub Seeder.

With Intimidate and great physical defense, Lando becomes very hard to break.

Tapu Koko can lean more heavily into supportive roles like Defogger and Screens setter.

Zard X gets great mixed bulk while retaining good physical power. It can make better use of more defensive options like Will-O-Wisp, Roost, and Dragon Tail.

Serp was already scary with only base 75 special attack. Now it has base 95.

Arcanine sometimes fills defensive roles with Intimidate, Will-O-Wisp, and Morning Sun. Now it's more effective at those roles.

Zapdos uses defensive sets much more frequently than Arcanine, and now gets a big boost to its special defense. Would have been more useful to get a big physical defense boost, but whatever.

Cobalion now has the same stats as vanilla Terrakion. Instead of complementing its powerful Fighting STAB by smashing Flying and Bug types with Stone Edge, Cobalion smashes Fairy types with Iron Head. It also has a much better defensive typing, so setting up a Swords Dance is easier.

Here's my idea for an OM
Are you only swapping Physical Attack and Defense or both Physical and Special Attack and Defense. Because your post implies the former but, everyone is replying like you mean the latter:
Aegislash is nerfed on more than just the physical side (which is good, because it mainly ran special sets).

Pheromosa ...... role gets completely flipped on its head. Instead of being a terrifying offensive threat, it's a speedy defensive Pokemon...

Metagame Premise: Stats are rotated (HP becomes Attack, Attack becomes Defense, and so on)
Potential bans and threats: Blissey, Shuckle, Bastiodon
Questions for the community: Should the name be "Rotationmons"?

Also, we can do other variations for example: HP becomes Speed, Attack becomes HP, and so on.

Metagame Premise: Stats are rotated (HP becomes Attack, Attack becomes Defense, and so on)

Also, we can do other variations for example: HP becomes Speed, Attack becomes HP, and so on.
Blissey and Chansey would probably be banned. A forward rotation yields these stats:
HP 55/Atk 255/Def 10/S.Atk 10/S.Def 75/Spe 135
Whereas a reversed rotation gives you: 10/10/75/135/55/255
Both versions are frail and vulnerable to priority, but otherwise broken.
You could rotate the stats 2 places which would give you: 135/55/255/10/10/75 or 10/75/135/55/255/10 depending on which direction you rotate them. The double forward rotation gives you an unbreakable Physical Wall, that is still vulnerable on the Special side. The 2x reversal is pretty useless with that HP Stat. Regardless of which rotation you go with, I personally think the idea is extremely versatile.

Maybe you could have the number and direction of rotations depend on the position in the party lineup. The first 3 slots rotate forward 1, 2, & 3 places, and the last 3 slots rotate backwards the same way. That way each Pokémon could have 6 different Stat spreads. And certain Pokemon, like Blissey, could be banned from using certain slots, but not banned completely.

Edit: Don’t name it Rotationmons, that might be confused with Rotation Battles.

Maybe you could make it so that if your mon is shiny, the stats rotate the other way. With that in mind, "Clockwork" sounds like a cool name

Some set ideas:

Shuckle @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Toxic

5/20/10/230/10/230 - I could've gone with ss spa shuck to take advantage of that monstrous spa, but it's special movepool is piss poor, so I went the classic sticky rock setter.

Deoxys-Attack
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Recover
- Protect

150/50/180/20/180/20 - this walking paradox is now one of, if not, the bulkiest thing in the meta, no reason not to run a stall set or even a stealth/spikes setter

Zygarde-Complete @ Focus Sash
Ability: Power Construct
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Glare
- Thousand Arrows

95/108/100/121/81/95 | 85/216/100/121/91/95 - Zygod is high risk/high reward, as not only are you significantly less bulky, but you're running 95 speed in a meta where 130 speed could be considered mid. However, if you manage to survive, you're now one of the hardest hitting mons in the meta, so it might just be worth it.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

90/100/180/160/150/90 - Pdon is an enigma because it's the only mon with +130 in ATK/DEF/SPA, which means, he doesn't have a massive dropoff from his bulk. In actuality, he argubly gets bulkier while getting better spa, but sacrifices his atk and some hp. I think a rock setter pdon would be better but i just like rpdon more.

Blissey (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

55/255/10/10/75/135 - Another enigma, Blissey is the only mon with +130 stats in HP/SPDEF, which unfortunately means it's fast and hits extraordinarily hard. However, unlike it's counterpart in Shuckle, Blissey has a moveset that compliment's its new found power.

Torkoal @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

20/70/85/140/85/70 - Realistiically, it was a 3 way race between cloyster, turtonator and torkoal. Ultimately, drought was the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)