Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

When I said privileged, I did not mean colored names (I know those users donated). I just meant being there for the spontaneous, unannounced launch. The same privilege wasn't widely available because of how it was handled, and that is why it was annoying. Furthermore I didn't say (mean?) the Champions themselves were annoying, but rather the situation behind them. And because of situation, the boasting was a slap in the face, light-hearted or not.

Circling back around to what started this mess: don't tell people criticizing the previous launch to "cry moar," which is the reply Shinryu got. There were issues with how it was handled properly given the massive anticipation surrounding it. Don't fucking talk down to me and falsely guilt me because I'm calling foul.

EDIT: Think I'm finally done editing.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
settle down, there's no cause for the tone in your posts

this is what i'm saying to you -- you don't have the right to call foul

the server and the people running it don't owe you anything

if you want to get the inside scoop, use irc

if not, don't be upset you missed the launch of the server

it's as simple as that. you haven't been wronged in any way, shape or form

also, if people do something for the server, they can sure as hell revel in that a little

the server was never going to have everyone available at one time to join all at once, and even if it had, that would only cause problems. honestly of all the damn things, i cannot believe you are moaning about when the server went live. it wasn't spontaneous or unannounced. sure we didn't have a set second or minute, but anyone keeping close tabs on it (enough to kick up this amount of fuss legitimately, anyway) knew it was coming

I just meant being there for the spontaneous, unannounced launch.
I had no clue that the server was gonna launch as early as it did. I was under the impression we were waiting for another day, I woke up that morning, and the server was up and 15 people were already logged on and had started playing.

I understand that we are pretty bad administration-wise sometimes. We didn't announce the plan regarding warps on anything but IRC, and that was a mistake. We don't really do proper, official announcements like we should.

But then again, we're not proper about how we do anything, and we aren't official in any sense.

If you want to donate, Shinryu or anyone else, PM user forks!

i take personal responsibility for the miscommunication regarding the smogcraft 2 release date. the announcement about december 16th was made prematurely and in fact the release discussion went on for a while after layell's post. we decided (actually fairly promptly if i recall) that an earlier release would be better after all, but failed to spread the word.

consistent communications to the smogcraft community through all our outlets (irc, the thread and in-game) is something we are trying to improve upon. i blame our past failures squarely on administrative laziness (mostly layell's mine) sorry guys!!!!

regardless, irc will probably remain the best source of smogcraft news and discussion, so you should join us on #smogcraft anyway!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd just like to throw in support for the current regime, even though I was really really mad at xaq for a while these guys are doing us all a huge favor by giving us a place to play! Basically if you can't appreciate that, then "this is why we can't have nice things".

Anyway I'd support doing spawn a little bit more... organically. We tried the really organized spawn but I never really felt comfortable in the citadel type spawn area we had. I always loved LSB for its charm and hidden surprises, it was really cool and showed off how the server grew as a whole (eventually expanding into New Haven/Blooper Bay). I think we should try for a coherent theme, but not a castle-like build. I'd much rather it be a town.

Why not have spawn in a mountain? Like, carved into the side of a mountain. I think that would be pretty cool. Sure, it would take us quite a bit of time to make room for it, but remember the mountain near spawn we had? Picture if there was a hole dug into it, and spawn was in that area. I think that would be pretty shweet.

Why not have spawn in a mountain? Like, carved into the side of a mountain. I think that would be pretty cool. Sure, it would take us quite a bit of time to make room for it, but remember the mountain near spawn we had? Picture if there was a hole dug into it, and spawn was in that area. I think that would be pretty shweet.
It could be kind of cool, though I'm envisioning more like what you see in old native american cliff dweller ruins, carved into the mountainside itself rather than in. Maybe something as interesting as the western air temple in Avatar (last air bender, not movie) with the upside down buildings could be cool too: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Western_Air_Temple#axzz1j1vkqSzk

Inside one would make it feel kind of enclosed, though maybe pretending it's a "volcano" and opening the top and enclosing it with glass to let in some light once hollowed out and flooding the bottom with lava could be cool too (along with a glass floor near the bottom to prevent accidental falls into the lava itself).

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i think the consensus has been to mcedit in spawn again with some alterations based on experience, but i would really love to do a spawn city inside a mountain

it's probably not going to happen because it's too niche for everyone but a dimly lit mountain heart city like ironforge or something would be incredible

So to answer the dudes post who asked about 'do we need a new bukkit for the new terrain gen'.
Well yes... also i tried setting the server to the newer version with a newer stable bukkit build wich was supposed to run it. However McMyAdmin kept reverting it back to the old version. This means that either yes, we will have to wait for it to work properly.

but i have been thinking... If we find a seed i can create a world on my pc with the newer terrain gen, explore a bit untill i have a 1000x1000 area explored (and thus generated with the newer engine). and upload that map onto the server with a border in place. This would hopefully make it so that no terrain is generated with the old terrain gen....

Also , about the launching of the server and about when:

I get that you may feel left out , not being able to help for spawn (if you like.... only noticed the server was live 4days too late...) but.. I mean.. Spawn was basically rebuilding a draft the community(you guys) made. And ANYONE that is active on the forums knows this... THUS ANYONE could have given input on the design.

Making a replica is boring anyways...

EDIT: howto on IRC .. Goto www.mibbit.org (NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED) and do what you see in this image :

just some inspiration
And in the new map we dont need rails hwen we have the nether, just make a main portal in town then at point B you put a portal too then go into the spawn portal and divide the co-ords of the point B portal X by 8 and Z by 4 and make a portal there in the nether and it can take you 2 mins to get to uuh lets say the valley :) this server makes the best use of this trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ukl...xt=C318ed9eUDOEgsToPDskI3q7FZPbKnuGQENsQNCjQV

YES. Yes that's perfect. I was thinking a little more dug into the mountain, but that looks amazing. Something like that would be pretty sweet, as I'm sure we could find a good mountain somewhere. There always is a good mountain to explore, and having the spawn city clinging to the side of it would be perfect. We would get a vantage point of the terrain to see where we can build, and where resources are. It would be awesome.

az

toddmoding
whoops, read your vm when i was about to go to bed then completely forgot about it, asdfy, sorry

do you still want the plan, or has all this talk of a new spawn made that unnecessary?

I quite like the idea of a more natural spawn area but I think it's pretty understandeable that people don't wan't all that hard work on last server's spawn to go to waste. If you guys want such a settlement though there is nothing really stopping us from just making another settlement in a mountain nearby. You don't have to worry about working on spawn as much since talk is that it'll be MCEdited in anyways.

as far as i know no consensus has been reached yet and i am not especially fond of editing the old spawn back in, it's still a lot of work and ben said replacing the server's active map is very troublesome

of course, it's not up to me
but i am all in favor of the moutain spawn idea
especially since, as it happens, the spawn is currently set (though of course it can be change) atop a mountain at y=120 overlooking these gorgeous, sprawling, sheep-filled plains

wow, didn't know people would like my idea. (:

If we were to make the spawn, I think we would need to dig into the mountain a few blocks, to give it a look as if a civilization was built onto the side of the mountain. It certainly would have the wow factor, and we could have a small path that leads to the top of the mountain, where you re-spawn when you die.

I am not particularly a fan of mountain spawn idea, as I'd rather have something that right now I am liking tennis's idea of an organic spawn, like LSB was. We kinda wing it with a little bit of guidance, but it lets the spawn itself grow if people wanna have a house that is in the area designated as "spawn".

So maybe organic spawn on top of a mountain? As long as as there are very easy ways to get on top and back down off of said mountain, then I guess I won't have many complaints/rants.

az

toddmoding
disregard my post then, i actually thought you were the one in favour of mcediting in the original spawn with changes forks so idek ?_?

edit: also my mountain spawn idea is not really in support of yours, master win. i'd like something quite different but the mention of mountain settlements inspired me to mention it

Ah, well, it was just an idea I had really. I just think that mountains+spawn=something good. I was just giving an opinion, but hey, I'm not the one who makes the decisions around here.

An organic spawn would be a pretty neat idea TBH.

So dumbish question, but since I wasn't on the older servers...organic spawn? What does that entail exactly...like tree housing or other stuff to make it seem like no one's there? Or just not going all flamboyant on design for a more earthy look?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So dumbish question, but since I wasn't on the older servers...organic spawn? What does that entail exactly...like tree housing or other stuff to make it seem like no one's there? Or just not going all flamboyant on design for a more earthy look?
When I said "organic" I don't mean all natural materials like trees and stuff. I mean organically as in "hey this looks like a cool place to build lets do it here" instead of having a definite, formulaic plan to work from. Obviously we would have your standard farms/animals/potions/crafting/smelting/enchanting stuff, but aside from those buildings the rest of the spawn town would be made up on the spot. Find a cool place for a house in the area? Great, build it. I think this is more fun as it encourages people to at least stay close to the spawn area for a while longer than if we just had a planned spawn and it was built and people can't build really close to it.

Another idea I brought up on IRC was that if we decide on a seed somewhat soon, we can scope out some cool biomes and other areas and immediately build rail lines to there (as long as they're within like, 200 blocks or so of spawn) so that people can build somewhat close communities that are actually connected to each other. I was thinking of 4-6 different towns, each with a different flavor obviously so that people can choose where they want to build and live. The downside is encouraging people to immediately move away from spawn, but on the upside, smogcraft has gotten large enough that groups of friends will still move together to different places, and this will help new people assimilate themselves first into smaller groups, then smogcraft as a whole.

I want to build pueblo houses. If spawn isn't on the side of a mountain, then I will find a mountain and carve a town into its face.

I will call it "Facecarvington".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)