Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Thank you for answering! I guess I should download Tekkit for fun, but shed a tear for the innocent mod developers every time I start it up. If LS could post in this thread when the Feed The Beast pack is out, I'd be very happy.
Innocent, not exactly. It's a long story, but the mod creators are not perfectly innocent. But that's a discussion for another time, another place. Also I don't really pay attention to FTB, but when I hear about it, if I remember, I'll post it.

But I guess I should wait with downloading mods until 1.4 is released (any week now).
As far as I've understood, every time Minecraft updates, mods get screwy? I'd rather explore 1.4 first, then try a mod, than installing a mod that doesn't work for weeks after I've got it.
Mods need to be updated to work with a new release, almost every release. An exception, for example, was 1.3.2. What I would do is this:
Modpack: Absolutely nothing to worry about, if you're using the Technic Launcher. Other launchers too, most likely.
Mod: Assuming the mod goes directly in your standard minecraft.jar, I would wait, personally. It screws up the MC update, from what I've seen.

Also, I play Vanilla Minecraft with a friend every Friday (I've moved away for studies, but this way we can still "hang out"). If I install Tekkit, would I still be able to access Vanilla and play on our world?
Mastadi covered this.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Mods need to be updated to work with a new release, almost every release. An exception, for example, was 1.3.2. What I would do is this:
Modpack: Absolutely nothing to worry about, if you're using the Technic Launcher. Other launchers too, most likely.
Mod: Assuming the mod goes directly in your standard minecraft.jar, I would wait, personally. It screws up the MC update, from what I've seen.
Ahh, forgive my vagueness and thank you for bearing with my impatience. I wonder specifically if Tekkit would screw up if I downloaded it today and 1.4 was released tomorrow, and for how long I should expect it to be down.

Thank you for answering!

Tekkit is a separet launcher so it should ne fine. The one I have is still on 1.2.5 so 1.4 should not affect it or be affect by it.

me and megad0s built a sorting machine in the base, no one is allowed to touch it, me and him took about 2 hours to get it running.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Recently I've been testing a way to get a truly random captain selector for oosos, I have to say I've made a good deal of progress, although the command blocks will help once they have been implemented.

Right now I have it set for 3v3 selector, I might have to make four more of these giant machines, but I'm trying to limit it to only one, so I'll see how that goes.

Recently I've been testing a way to get a truly random captain selector for oosos, I have to say I've made a good deal of progress, although the command blocks will help once they have been implemented.

Right now I have it set for 3v3 selector, I might have to make four more of these giant machines, but I'm trying to limit it to only one, so I'll see how that goes.

Man, this will be so useful for when we play OO:SoS!

:'<

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The current oosos map has a random captain selector, unfortunately it picks a random person from the green side and a random person for the purple side. It will never pick two people from the purple side because it wasn't designed to do that. For example if forks knows he is gonna lose if he fights Sal in the captain fight, all he has to do is be on the same colour side as Sal is. But in mine the chance to fight Sal is there no matter where he sits. Just yesterday after posting that image I figured out a much better random machine, both of them are slightly based on my favourite smoothstone generator, which takes a turn to move a piston at each point then moves to the next one. So long as charging them is made by random factors then everything should work out fine.

There will be some disadvantages for mine. I haven't played with command blocks yet but as it stands the jump into the arena will not be as climatic, I'm also looking at a way to lock a player into the booth once they are in it with a sticky piston, although with all the wiring I have that may be difficult.

EDIT @ Megados: No

Layell that is really fucking huge and I don't think it needs to be...

I know of an RNG design for any number of bits that is VERY small, like 5x7x4 for 3 bit output, so you can just slap a decoder on that, fire it until you have 2 captains and be good to go. I'll make one in creative and edit in a screenshot.

EDIT: Here you go:

Flip a lever and whoever is standing under the light that goes on is the first captain. Flip it again and you have your second. If there is a repeat, just flip the lever once more. It's not as simple as push a button and you're good to go, but it is tiny for what it does (22x12x8) and there are only 6 ticks of lag from the time you flip the switch.

I know of an RNG design for any number of bits that is VERY small, like 5x7x4 for 3 bit output, so you can just slap a decoder on that, fire it until you have 2 captains and be good to go. I'll make one in creative and edit in a screenshot.

Flip a lever and whoever is standing under the light that goes on is the first captain. Flip it again and you have your second. If there is a repeat, just flip the lever once more. It's not as simple as push a button and you're good to go, but it is tiny for what it does (22x12x8) and there are only 6 ticks of lag from the time you flip the switch.
Does it give you a different captain even if you reset the map?

how easy would it be to add pistons to it for dropping the captains into the arena?

Does it give you a different captain even if you reset the map?
Yes, it's arguably the best you can get in Minecraft since it works directly off of the RNG for dispensers. Here's how to make the RNG itself, although I made a few adjustments to the output for this project. The decoder part is of my design though, and is very compact thanks to half slabs :>

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Something else I've been meaning to do: In the spirit of Halloween and decoration I will give a diamond block to the best decorated bank vault. I will be counting the front wall and inside only. Please make sure your vault stays within the normal size rules (tennisace) and no deathtraps.Anyone who participates will also get a nice treat. If vaults fill up I'll make more hallways. Consider this contest closed Saturday November 3rd.

No signups just go forth and vault into it!

Speaking of Halloween, our very spooky Hunger Games map is coming up in about two weeks. To gauge interest and figure out how prizes will be distributed I'm asking that all those interested sign up in the Smogcraft social group.

sal where is the social group?. and layell do we need to sign up for that contest?

edit: could I get white listed for oo:sos? And layell what is the max hight of the vaults?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)