Mini's Logos, Sketches and Assorted Nonsense

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! I've been making appearances here and there in Smeargle's Studio for a while now, and have recently begun contributing artwork around the forums and for The Player. Now's as good a time as any to get this thread up and running!

Artwork for The Player:
Larger version of the cover artwork for Issue 4:
Cover_Larger.png

Artwork for the "Youtube Tournaments on Pokemon Showdown!" article:
YT_Tours_V2_Final.png

Scotteh's interview avatar:
Scotteh-Suicune-Larger.png

Logos:
For the Trivia room's PSPL team:
Trivia-PSPL-Logo-Final.png

The Trivia room's new roomintro:
New-Triv-Logo-V2.png

For the (now defunct) Mirage Island Showdown! server:
Mirage_Island_Logo_Final.png

For the RU Viability Rankings Thread:
RU-Viability-Final.png

Other Nonsense:
My concept for Mega Octillery, as done for the old Megas for All Project:
Mega_Octillery_Final.png

Some of my first attempts at oil painting:
Outside_View.jpg

Hallway_Painting.jpg

Marble_Refraction.jpg

Comments, questions and criticisms are all welcome and appreciated. Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Damn Mini, what can I say? You finally started your art thread, and it's just astounding. As you know, I really like the style of the logos and the Trivia room artwork. The Player Issue 4 Cover is sweet; it combines both the vector and the textured style for a slick image. I can't wait to see more from you!

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Took ya long enough, I'll say. :] Been watching you for a while, and I can definitely appreciate your skill with vectors. Your dynamic vector art (I cite the Youtube Tourney and Spiritomb art) leave nothing to be desired. :) Can't wait to see more!

PS: I would recommend trying some color studies with oils before moving on to observational/landscape paintings. Take that with a grain of salt, as I work more with charcoal and acrylics anyway.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looks like everyone's super excited (like they should be). I'd like to offer some feedback on your oil paintings. I can definitely second brightobject here; I found it much easier to get into painting acrylic (and I'm sure this applies to oil as well) to start with basic strokes and colour studies. Once I got the hang of shading objects and drawing shadows, etc., I was able to transition much more smoothly into more complex scenes. :)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
Wow, thanks for all the support and positive feedback everyone! :)
brightobject said:
PS: I would recommend trying some color studies with oils before moving on to observational/landscape paintings. Take that with a grain of salt, as I work more with charcoal and acrylics anyway.
Weebl said:
I'd like to offer some feedback on your oil paintings. I can definitely second brightobject here; I found it much easier to get into painting acrylic (and I'm sure this applies to oil as well) to start with basic strokes and colour studies. Once I got the hang of shading objects and drawing shadows, etc., I was able to transition much more smoothly into more complex scenes. :)
Good advice sirs, I'll be sure to try out your ideas! I tend to struggle quite a bit with traditional media (and especially painting), so I hope to take it up again soon and improve a bit more.

But on to the good stuff: a Haunter made for the Player's cover art, but ended up going unused. Better to not let it go to waste!

Haunter.png

Just dropping by to say that you have some incredible artwork, always enjoying seeing stuff from you. I especially enjoyed the different style with the art for the "Youtube Tournaments on Pokemon Showdown!" article. Good luck with your future projects!

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I love the style you've got going on with that haunter (and the Spiritomb you did for the Player cover !) the lineart is really crisp and clean, not to mention your use of texture is incredible and really compliments your style ^_^ I am looking forward to more art of yours :>

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Saw the m-sceptile on fb just now, had to drop by and share my amazement. Awesome pose and solid lineart, really catches your eye. But if you want some critique, I'd say its left foot could be more turned towards the viewer, or at least have its claws aimed more upwards since the foot now seems to be hanging off an invisible ledge. The shading is overall sound, although there are some parts that are a bit iffy, like it's left foot, the top of its grass 'mane' (that should have a highlight instead), and the bottom part of its pine tail could be entirely shaded (ie not just the edge).

But yeah, solid work!

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
Small art update with a couple of recent articles that have been released:

For How to be Successful at Challenges in the Player:
Challenges_Tyrogue_Final.png

Tried working with from a higher perspective with this one, rather than the frontal perspective that I tend to default to. In hindsight, I realize I might have abused the gradient tool a bit too much :T

Lowgock's avatar for his interview in The Competitor:

Blaziken_Lowgock_Larger.png
Blaziken_Lowgock_Smaller.png

Overall I'm happy with how this turned out, but I feel like I need to more carefully consider how avatars will look when exported at smaller sizes. e.g. I liked the detail in the blue stroke in the larger version, but it's barely noticeable in the small one.

Also I tried to experiment with the light blue highlights but I'm not quite sure how well it worked :/
Saw the m-sceptile on fb just now, had to drop by and share my amazement. Awesome pose and solid lineart, really catches your eye. But if you want some critique, I'd say its left foot could be more turned towards the viewer, or at least have its claws aimed more upwards since the foot now seems to be hanging off an invisible ledge. The shading is overall sound, although there are some parts that are a bit iffy, like it's left foot, the top of its grass 'mane' (that should have a highlight instead), and the bottom part of its pine tail could be entirely shaded (ie not just the edge).

But yeah, solid work!
Thanks for your feedback Bummer! I've been trying to work on improving poses to make mine not quite so static, so I'm glad to see that's paying off. I'll try to fix any discrepancies in lighting/shading when I see them too, though I tend to have a hard time identifying them immediately.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Your works awesome dude, that tyrogue is cool as hell, and so is the blaziken. One thing though is that the blue lining on the blaziken looks a bit sloppy around the left hand, was that intentional or nah?

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
It was more of an accident that came about as a result of messing with stroke settings, and I liked how it looked so I didn't change it. But I can see what you mean, the outline is scrunched in there around the curve of its hand pretty tightly.

Yay you made an art thread ^^
I'm a big fan of your works, they never fail to disappoint! Thought, your logos, by far, are the best pieces you make. Keep it coming, you're doing phenomenal! =)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
Do you draw this on a tablet :OOOO

this looks really amazing man, keep up the good work o.o
Actually, I don't use a tablet! As of right now, I sketch and draw by hand, then scan the drawings and add lineart / colors / extra effects in Adobe Illustrator. For reference, some sketches before I do anything to them digitally:
Sceptile Doodle Smaller.png
Tyrogue_Challenges Sketch Smaller.png
Blaziken_Avatar_Sketch_Smaller.png

Some sketches I spend more time on than others
I do own a tablet, but I haven't had the chance to experiment with using it all that much. Over the winter break I'm hoping to practice using it more so that I can approach some drawings with a style different from my default.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I must say that I've been very impressed with your artwork ever since I first saw your name pop up (around octoberish iirc). It's always a pleasure looking at the stuff you make for [insert Smogon webazine here] and I can't wait to see what you have in store for the upcoming issues of each webazine!

Also I really love your avatar ^^

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
i cant wait until you're done with the Roots Redux art, it looks like its gonna be a fantastic piece of art!!!!!

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
i cant wait until you're done with the Roots Redux art, it looks like its gonna be a fantastic piece of art!!!!!
Wait no longer!

DPP-Roots-Final.png

From Remembering Our Roots Redux: Where Are They Now (Part 3: DPP)
There are so many shading errors i can see looking at this now but I had to rush to get this done with finals and all so :/
I want to try to do more pieces with multiple pokemon / subjects in the picture. I don't do that too often.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
So I decided to try and use my tablet for the first time

And well uh
Odd+Ching.png

PokeBall_Tablet_Practice.jpg

Eyes.png

Noses.png
It has certainly been an experience

But in all honesty, I do love how much quicker I can get things done using the tablet; makes it easier to experiment and try new things. But I'm still pretty clueless about how to make it work for serious projects. Feels sorta foreign compared to my traditional process. I'll definitely be trying to practice with it more in my spare time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)