Team Monotype Winter Premier II - Discussion Thread [See post #22 for draft date and time]

Unbiased Power Rankings
Simply for entertainment purposes and likes, dont take this too personal :blobwizard:

1. Sootopolis Sealeos
SM: 1 True Lycan
SM: obii
SM: Shiba
Monothreat: Pak
Ubers: Jase Duken
LC: Star
AAA: rozes
Stab: Funbot28

There is no perfect tea... . The Sootopolis Sealeos look insane in almost every tier. 1 True Lycan is a monotype titan and the managers have recognized correctly that they should use their first pick to draft him. Following him the Sealeos have grabbed themselves Pak as well as the Star, obii, rozes trio which I expect to perform as fantastic as they did in MPL IV. In fact rozes is probably a top three AAA player which is impressive for a round five pick. Shiba is another pick who started for the Littleroot Lotads in their dominant MPL IV run and is a very solid starter provided he gets teams. Next up Jase Duken got picked for Ubers. Picking a Ubers late is a pretty smart move as the skill discrepancy between the Ubers starter is relatively low so you dont lose as much. Most if not all teams applied this logic to some extent which imo is pretty impressive. Funbot28 I do not know and looks like their only weak spot, although he probably won't be too bad.

2. Dauntless Dewgongs
SM: Charmflash
SM: Arifeen
SM: Kaori
Monothreat: Xiri
Ubers: MJ
LC: Quote
AAA: Megazard
Stab: Quantum Tesseract

I'd like to start this off by saying that I am very happy with the way our draft went. We got many of our priority picks during the middle of the draft and ended up looking very strong despite drafting ourselves. Although I'm not worth a first pick doing so allows us to also draft Quantum Tesseract in round two, which is a pretty good deal as the Stab skill discrepancy is relatively big between the first two and the rest. I'm also not a huge neg as I would consider myself a round three pick under normal circumstances so it checks out. Next we got Quote and getting a good LC player was a huge priority for us as neither manager is very proficient in either LC or Ubers (due to the low Ubers skill discrepancy I explained in the Sealeo section we decided to draft one later as well). First we had Kinlger12345 in mind (even his profile picture is Dewgong oml) but he got snagged away so we got ourselves Quote who is clearly top two LC in this tour. Then somehow Arifeen was still up in round four and we gladly accepted the gift. Kaori got picked next completing the SM trio on a dominant note. Megazard completes the Other Metagames duo with Qauntum Tesseract as overall probably second best Other Metagames of any team (Rascal Ralts being first). Xiri has shown some very good performances lately (such as MPL IV) so we were surprised to see him up for grabs in round 7 and took advantage of that. Realistically speaking he shouldn't be seen as a top Monothreat player but I expect him to carry his own weight rather well and put up a solid record. Lastly MJ got picked as the Ubers starter. Definitly the underdog, however, most if not all other Ubers in this tournament are within his skill range and I dont see him doing terrible.

3. Native Natus
SM: Paleo
SM: Harpp
SM: Wincon
Monothreat: SirSkit
Ubers: smub
LC: Kingler12345
AAA: Hikari
Stab: EviGaro

Paleo first pick makes a great deal of sense, building your SM core around him will prove to be quite deadly. Klinger12345 is hands down probably the best LC player in the tour with only Quote being able to somewhat contest that title so this is also still completely fine. Harpp has been on fire lately, particularly during MPL IV and he is a very smart individual. I get scared when I think about facing Paleo+Harpp in SM OU. Smub is a decent pick here as he is probably one of the best Ubers players in the tournament but I think this was pretty rushed since I dont think he is better by a lot and there are plenty of decent Ubers players in the pool. Obviously he can help with other metagames as well tho with the other picks they have gotten I think Ubers will be the slot he'll be covering. SirSkit is a good choice for Monothreat and should be bringing home a decent amount of wins, expecting a positive record from him. Wincon can be a very interesting character at times but I respect his SM playing and building capacity quite a bit and unless he has gotten a lot worse during his break pick number six Wincon is a great investment. Lastly Hikari and EviGaro got picked to cover the Native Natus ass for Other Metagames which is my big question mark for this team. Both of these players are very capable at Pokemon but will they be able to hold their own against the mains in vastly different metagames?

4. Rascal Ralts
SM: ima
SM: Croven
SM: Finchinator
Monothreat: double switches
Ubers: MiyoKa
LC: Sae
AAA: torkool
Stab: tyke

This team had a very unique approach on the draft as they went all in on dominating Other Metagames with the purchase of Torkool and Tyke (the managers). Ima got picked next to lead SM and while I do think that he is a good player I dont know how good his wild team choices will work out for himself as well as the other SM players (since he & Croven will have to provide Finch with them). Croven next makes sense, I've seen him do well in plenty of settings before although I will admit that I havent looked a lot into his successes and he kind of slipped under the radar for me. Sae is a nice LC pick in this pool and should have been drafted by the Goodras instead of dhaarma. Finch is Finch I think he wont care too much about this tournament but he shouldn't be having too much trouble holding his own although I am kind of scared about him not getting the best of teams. MiyoKa is a great Ubers pick at this point, arguably the strongest one overall alongside smub although really not by a lot. Lastly double switches got picked up whom I expect to get slotted into Monothreat and I also expect him to have one hell of a rough time there.

5. Rustboro Raptors
SM: Lax
SM: Pearl
SM: trash
Monothreat: Sabella
Ubers: Alpha Rabbit
LC: Kushalos
AAA: rnbs
Stab: Betathunder

Lax and Sabella got picked up at the same time as the first two picks solidifying a very strong base to build on for this team. Next the rnbs pick establishes that this team intends to leave its Other Metagames in good hands and the Betathunder pick a bit later on confirms that stance. A fourth pick Pearl is relatively questionable to me, especially as SM (which seems to be what we are going for here given Alpha Rabbits draft later on) since while he is a fantastic player there are plenty of more experienced top tier options left such as Arifeen or Wincon at the time of his draft. As an Ubers pick this would have made slightly more sense to me given how the competition is relatively weak although id probably still wait one more round. Trash was the next pick and he said in his signup post that we wont be playing LC which for me lowers his worth quite a bit (unless he just said that to help his favorite manager and will be playing LC anyway) as I believe his SM to be fairly weak and there were plenty of other better option available including Wincon, Finchinator etc. . Kushalos is a great player and a good late LC pick if motivated enough, Alpha Rabbit is a great 8th pick for Ubers and could beat pretty much everybody in this tour although id still consider him the slight underdog against most of them.

6. Good Civ Goodras
SM: Eien
SM: Leru
SM: Wanka
Monothreat: Misaka Mikoto
Ubers: EternalSnowman
LC: dhaarma
AAA: Hamhamhamham
Stab: skysolo14

Eien and Leru have both shown some signs of inconsistency during MPL IV, however, I still think that them buying themselves is the best part about their draft and actually what they should have done. I respect Eien a lot as a builder and during our time together on the Saffron Sabers I realized how similar our approach to the metagame is as we shared tons of rather outlandish opinions. Unfortunately he did have some relatively weak decision making during the games but if he can pick that up a bit he should still be a force to reckon with. Leru on the other hand had some team choices I didnt fully agree with but his playing ability has been as calculated as ever and I hope to see more of that during this MWP. Wanka is an alright choice as third pick, he should perform well enough with Eien and Leru to support. This trio's performance will have to be at peak status if the Goodras wish to join the playoff teams because it did go quite downhill from here. dhaarma got picked next which is not the absolute worst decision since LC is rather problematic to find a decent player in, however, I still think this is too early. Next we have Misaka Mikoto which is a relatively low-end Monothreat player and the only reason I can think of why he got picked this early is because Leru likes the Railgun anime. Now the draft starts to make a bit more sense since Eternal Snowman and Hamhamhamham got picked up which is a pretty good package deal, especially as number six and number seven picks. Lastly Skysolo14 got picked whom I also dont know and I expect him to be similar to Funbot28: a weakness but probably not terrible.

7. Croissant Copping Chikoritas
SM: Chaitanya
SM: Waszap
SM: Trichotomy
Monothreat: -Tsunami-
Ubers: Mysterious M
LC: Nailec
AAA: Racool
Stab: Ransei

Another team that picked their own managers. Overall, this team doesnt look bad whatsoever but upon closer inspection you start to wonder what this teams strenghts are. Their SM is a bit too early self-picked managers (I think under normal circumstances they would be pick four/five) + a mediocre (ofc I'm just talking in comparison to the rest of the competition this tournament has to offer) 8th pick to finish it off in Chaitanya, Waszap and Trichotomy. Shake is pretty good but he wont be dominating the competition, Nailec is a solid LC although far from the top two, Racool is a bit of a wild card that might turn into this teams only strength in case he performs extraordinary, Mysterious M is a middle tier Ubers and Ransei is going to lose to the good Stab players but probably bring in some wins as well which if all of my calculations are correct results in not making playoffs.

8. Ever Grande Eevees
SM: Attribute
SM: TJ
SM: Feliburn
Monothreat: KevinELF
Ubers: Catalystic
LC: cb aaron judge
AAA: Jrdn
Stab: Sylveon.

Lastly we have the Eevees which also bought their own managers and it definitely set them back a bit. However, the real problem is that it feels as if they had a set out plan on who to get and completely ignored the other available options, failing to draft the best undrafted players over and over. For exampe Jrdn and Sylveon. are surely decent in Other Metagames but they wont be dominating the competition and are extremely rushed out of place picks. Cb aaron judge is another relatively ok player but the options during round five were so much better. Catalystic makes a bit of sense as he is in the upper half of Ubers players but id still hold off on that at least one more round. TJ and Feliburn are good drafts for round seven, round eight but they are definitely on the lower end for SM overall.
I expect the top five teams to have a good chance at playoffs as I think they are relatively close with a pretty noticeable drop-off afterwards :blobsad:

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Unbiased Power Rankings
Simply for entertainment purposes and likes, dont take this too personal :blobwizard:

1. Sootopolis Sealeos

There is no perfect tea... . The Sootopolis Sealeos look insane in almost every tier. 1 True Lycan is a monotype titan and the managers have recognized correctly that they should use their first pick to draft him. Following him the Sealeos have grabbed themselves Pak as well as the Star, obii, rozes trio which I expect to perform as fantastic as they did in MPL IV. In fact rozes is probably a top three AAA player which is impressive for a round five pick. Shiba is another pick who started for the Littleroot Lotads in their dominant MPL IV run and is a very solid starter provided he gets teams. Next up Jase Duken got picked for Ubers. Picking a Ubers late is a pretty smart move as the skill discrepancy between the Ubers starter is relatively low so you dont lose as much. Most if not all teams applied this logic to some extent which imo is pretty impressive. Funbot28 I do not know and looks like their only weak spot, although he probably won't be too bad.

2. Dauntless Dewgongs

I'd like to start this off by saying that I am very happy with the way our draft went. We got many of our priority picks during the middle of the draft and ended up looking very strong despite drafting ourselves. Although I'm not worth a first pick doing so allows us to also draft Quantum Tesseract in round two, which is a pretty good deal as the Stab skill discrepancy is relatively big between the first two and the rest. I'm also not a huge neg as I would consider myself a round three pick under normal circumstances so it checks out. Next we got Quote and getting a good LC player was a huge priority for us as neither manager is very proficient in either LC or Ubers (due to the low Ubers skill discrepancy I explained in the Sealeo section we decided to draft one later as well). First we had Kinlger12345 in mind (even his profile picture is Dewgong oml) but he got snagged away so we got ourselves Quote who is clearly top two LC in this tour. Then somehow Arifeen was still up in round four and we gladly accepted the gift. Kaori got picked next completing the SM trio on a dominant note. Megazard completes the Other Metagames duo with Qauntum Tesseract as overall probably second best Other Metagames of any team (Rascal Ralts being first). Xiri has shown some very good performances lately (such as MPL IV) so we were surprised to see him up for grabs in round 7 and took advantage of that. Realistically speaking he shouldn't be seen as a top Monothreat player but I expect him to carry his own weight rather well and put up a solid record. Lastly MJ got picked as the Ubers starter. Definitly the underdog, however, most if not all other Ubers in this tournament are within his skill range and I dont see him doing terrible.

3. Native Natus

Paleo first pick makes a great deal of sense, building your SM core around him will prove to be quite deadly. Klinger12345 is hands down probably the best LC player in the tour with only Quote being able to somewhat contest that title so this is also still completely fine. Harpp has been on fire lately, particularly during MPL IV and he is a very smart individual. I get scared when I think about facing Paleo+Harpp in SM OU. Smub is a decent pick here as he is probably one of the best Ubers players in the tournament but I think this was pretty rushed since I dont think he is better by a lot and there are plenty of decent Ubers players in the pool. Obviously he can help with other metagames as well tho with the other picks they have gotten I think Ubers will be the slot he'll be covering. SirSkit is a good choice for Monothreat and should be bringing home a decent amount of wins, expecting a positive record from him. Wincon can be a very interesting character at times but I respect his SM playing and building capacity quite a bit and unless he has gotten a lot worse during his break pick number six Wincon is a great investment. Lastly Hikari and EviGaro got picked to cover the Native Natus ass for Other Metagames which is my big question mark for this team. Both of these players are very capable at Pokemon but will they be able to hold their own against the mains in vastly different metagames?

4. Rascal Ralts

This team had a very unique approach on the draft as they went all in on dominating Other Metagames with the purchase of Torkool and Tyke (the managers). Ima got picked next to lead SM and while I do think that he is a good player I dont know how good his wild team choices will work out for himself as well as the other SM players (since he & Croven will have to provide Finch with them). Croven next makes sense, I've seen him do well in plenty of settings before although I will admit that I havent looked a lot into his successes and he kind of slipped under the radar for me. Sae is a nice LC pick in this pool and should have been drafted by the Goodras instead of dhaarma. Finch is Finch I think he wont care too much about this tournament but he shouldn't be having too much trouble holding his own although I am kind of scared about him not getting the best of teams. MiyoKa is a great Ubers pick at this point, arguably the strongest one overall alongside smub although really not by a lot. Lastly double switches got picked up whom I expect to get slotted into Monothreat and I also expect him to have one hell of a rough time there.

5. Rustboro Raptors

Lax and Sabella got picked up at the same time as the first two picks solidifying a very strong base to build on for this team. Next the rnbs pick establishes that this team intends to leave its Other Metagames in good hands and the Betathunder pick a bit later on confirms that stance. A fourth pick Pearl is relatively questionable to me, especially as SM (which seems to be what we are going for here given Alpha Rabbits draft later on) since while he is a fantastic player there are plenty of more experienced top tier options left such as Arifeen or Wincon at the time of his draft. As an Ubers pick this would have made slightly more sense to me given how the competition is relatively weak although id probably still wait one more round. Trash was the next pick and he said in his signup post that we wont be playing LC which for me lowers his worth quite a bit (unless he just said that to help his favorite manager and will be playing LC anyway) as I believe his SM to be fairly weak and there were plenty of other better option available including Wincon, Finchinator etc. . Kushalos is a great player and a good late LC pick if motivated enough, Alpha Rabbit is a great 8th pick for Ubers and could beat pretty much everybody in this tour although id still consider him the slight underdog against most of them.

6. Good Civ Goodras

Eien and Leru have both shown some signs of inconsistency during MPL IV, however, I still think that them buying themselves is the best part about their draft and actually what they should have done. I respect Eien a lot as a builder and during our time together on the Saffron Sabers I realized how similar our approach to the metagame is as we shared tons of rather outlandish opinions. Unfortunately he did have some relatively weak decision making during the games but if he can pick that up a bit he should still be a force to reckon with. Leru on the other hand had some team choices I didnt fully agree with but his playing ability has been as calculated as ever and I hope to see more of that during this MWP. Wanka is an alright choice as third pick, he should perform well enough with Eien and Leru to support. This trio's performance will have to be at peak status if the Goodras wish to join the playoff teams because it did go quite downhill from here. dhaarma got picked next which is not the absolute worst decision since LC is rather problematic to find a decent player in, however, I still think this is too early. Next we have Misaka Mikoto which is a relatively low-end Monothreat player and the only reason I can think of why he got picked this early is because Leru likes the Railgun anime. Now the draft starts to make a bit more sense since Eternal Snowman and Hamhamhamham got picked up which is a pretty good package deal, especially as number six and number seven picks. Lastly Skysolo14 got picked whom I also dont know and I expect him to be similar to Funbot28: a weakness but probably not terrible.

Another team that picked their own managers. Overall, this team doesnt look bad whatsoever but upon closer inspection you start to wonder what this teams strenghts are. Their SM is a bit too early self-picked managers (I think under normal circumstances they would be pick four/five) + a mediocre (ofc I'm just talking in comparison to the rest of the competition this tournament has to offer) 8th pick to finish it off in Chaitanya, Waszap and Trichotomy. Shake is pretty good but he wont be dominating the competition, Nailec is a solid LC although far from the top two, Racool is a bit of a wild card that might turn into this teams only strength in case he performs extraordinary, Mysterious M is a middle tier Ubers and Ransei is going to lose to the good Stab players but probably bring in some wins as well which if all of my calculations are correct results in not making playoffs.

8. Ever Grande Eevees

Lastly we have the Eevees which also bought their own managers and it definitely set them back a bit. However, the real problem is that it feels as if they had a set out plan on who to get and completely ignored the other available options, failing to draft the best undrafted players over and over. For exampe Jrdn and Sylveon. are surely decent in Other Metagames but they wont be dominating the competition and are extremely rushed out of place picks. Cb aaron judge is another relatively ok player but the options during round five were so much better. Catalystic makes a bit of sense as he is in the upper half of Ubers players but id still hold off on that at least one more round. TJ and Feliburn are good drafts for round seven, round eight but they are definitely on the lower end for SM overall.
I expect the top five teams to have a good chance at playoffs as I think they are relatively close with a pretty noticeable drop-off afterwards :blobsad:
This post really makes me question whether picking you as a manager was a good idea or a bad one

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unbiased Power Rankings

1. Sootopolis Sealeos

2. Dauntless Dewgongs

3. Native Natus

4. Rascal Ralts

5. Rustboro Raptors

6. Good Civ Goodras

8. Ever Grande Eevees

How does one makes impartial power rankings by himself? The answer is one can't.

It is very clear in the post that you are unfamiliar with majority of Monotype playerbase in past tours such as MPL, seasonnals etc., which isn't your fault since you have only played in MPL IV and a seasonal tournament (with no managing experience in a Monotype tournament) and it's a learning experience. Instead of doing proper research or asking someone else to help write the power rankings you decided to post something just for likes instead of putting time, effort, and research into the posting assuming that you knew Monotype playerbase already (as shown by projected lineups being wrong) which is wrong way to go about managing for a team tournament where sometimes giving unknown players a chance can pay off.

For example, calling Trichotomy a mediocre 8th round pick is wrong given Trichotomy has won the recent Monotype Summer seasonal. This could have been easily avoided with a bit of research by looking at recent Summer seasonal finals (This is just one example among many others).

I hope you'll take something positive away from my post and let's have good and fun tournament.

somewhat random and totally biased thoughts about the draft

I think what Charmflash was trying to do with his non-serious PR was great, although ranking the teams this early without clearly knowing at all who is playing what was not optimal. The teams I will be talking about are in the draft order. Again these are just my thoughts with some obvious bias included since i'm a manager so don’t bother to call me out for that.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.15.56.png

Sootopolis Sealeos

The Sealeos had a great draft in my opinion. Getting Lycan with the first pick is obviously huge but it’s sad that we won’t be seeing the monothreat master Ticken in action this year. Lycan though, who still has the best overall record in monotype team tournaments should be able to provide tons of support to SM and AAA. I hope we as spectators get to see him play both. While Pak’s MPL started with disappointingly, he was able to finish up with a 5-4 record which included 4 wins to close the season up. Pak will have tons of support though this time coming from his manager Ridley and fellow teammate 1TL.
It’s hard to predict the full lineup but overall talent wise this team looks super good and doesn’t have any real weaknesses. It will be interesting to see what Rozes and Obii will play with both of them doing well in ORAS in MPL. Rozes has obviously been playing Mono AAA in these tours ever since of 2016 but has never really had a amazing record, but again having Lycan helping building wise should be huge. I could see Obii playing Monothreat with Ticken’s support. Shiba was one of the most important players for the Lotads in MPL, finishing the season with a 6-3 record in SM. You can also slot him to play STABmons too. Jase Duken will finally get a shot to shine as a starter in ubers and with Star’s support i expect great things for him. Having his good friend Balto on team helps too. Star is a lit LC too.
Overall I think the Sealeos should make playoffs barring from any big suprises happening.

Player to watch: Lycan

Dauntless Dewgongs

The Dewgongs played it safe during the draft picking up trusted friends. QT is making his return to MWP as a manager after a dominant run in STABmons last year. He and Megazard form one of the strongest AAA and STABmons cores in the tournament with both going 6-3 in their respective tiers in MWP1. Arifeen who has had great success previously in these tournaments is a relatively safe pick in R4. However some questions arise what tier will he play since ORAS and AAA which used to be his bread and butter back in the day are either not in the tournament or available for him on this team. Last year in MWP he played SM but ended up being a slight dissapointment for his respective team finishing with a 4-5 record. Although now he is surrounded by his FGO friends and should be more motivated. Charmflash picking himself with the Dewgongs first round pick shows great confidence. Coming of a a great monotype tour debut in MPL with a 5-3 record in SM Charmflash should be able to have a successful season as a player. After this the issues for the Dewgongs become more visible though. The lack of a distinct builders in SM and Monothreat are big glaring holes. Charmflash has to show that his MPL performance wasn’t great just due to the Eien and Leru squads and be able to provide teams to Kaori. Quote obviously breathes LC but the lack of recent LC success brings up concerns and only time will tell if he will live up to the R3 pick up. The bench raises questions too. Picking up Chras R9 and telling him he will not play and not inviting him to the team discord is a weird choice. Kiyo famously flamed out in the latest version of MPL after going 0-4 and got traded. The lack of depth in the Dewgongs rosters could become a serious problem if the team starts suffering activity issues. In the end though I think this is pretty decent team thats going to have great chemistry and will be fighting for a playoff spot.

Player to watch: Charmflash

Native Natus

After the massive shit-show in MPL called poopitars, Starblim is back with a new assistant manager in Maroon(5?). Honestly though this was a great draft for the Natus. After disappearing for college the monotype TL Paleo is back to lead another team. Obviously a great first round pick that should be the anchor for the Natus SM core. If motivated, we should expect big things from Paleo. To keep him motivated the Natus got his Rush Hour Partner in crime, Yaksok, who may refuse to play a single game this season but still will provide support for SM and AAA and respectively harass Paleo in PMs to keep him motivated. Harpp who really had his breakout tour in MPL4 is back now to prove that he wasn’t just a one season wonder. The lack of support from Eien and Leru might show in his record, although i have heard promising stuff about him as the new trendsetter in SM. Wincon is back after a mysterious 6 month hiatus, but with the right support and motivation from his managers should give him the ammunition to have a another great season. And while Wincon’s recent hype post was cringy, the SM core is still very strong. SirSkit is the biggest steal of the tournament as a R6 pick, but it will be interesting to see how his reserved personality will mesh with this team that includes none of his friends. I still expect a great record from SirSkit in monothreat although last years MWP was a slight disappointment for him. Smub is the most active mono om player in the community, but hasn’t had the chance to show his talents yet on the big stage. Maybe this will finally be his breakout tournament. Kingler finished last years MWP with a good 5-4 record but it will be interesting to see if he will be able to re-create his success in LC as a R2 pick. Overall i think the Natus have all the right ingredients for a successful team but in the end it will be up to chefs in Starblim and Maroon to provide a good team environment since none of these players really know each other and the team spirit was truly lacking in Starblims last team. Will fight for a playoff spot

Player to watch: Harpp

Good Civ Goodras

After a relatively great manager experience in MPL4, Leru and Eien are back again together. In the first 3 rounds the Goodras drafted one of the greatest SM cores on paper ever assembled in a tournament in Eien, Leru and Wanka. However none of them really performed in the latest MPL with Eien going 3-3 in SM, Wanka going 3-3 in ORAS and Leru getting a decent 3-2 record in SM. In the end the ceiling for this core is higher than the sky. None of us have really forgotten Leru’s insane 9-0 run last year and Eien is still regarded as the best builder in the community. Wanka will have tons of support but SM is a different animal from Wanka’s fav tier in ORAS. Picking Dhaarma in R4 raises tons of eyebrows but apparently he has had success in Mono LC in a.. discord premier league? After going winless in MPL Dhaarma has a lot to prove to justify the R4 pick. He will without a doubt provide a fun environment for his teammates with his memes and chill personality. Misaka Mikoto has never really had success in these tournaments but is still probably the most likable player in the whole community and one of the few monothreat mains remaining. Her personanlity should really mesh well with the another anime lovers on the team. EternalSnowman is a great pick for ubers, especially with Leru’s support and hamhamhamham should be able to carry a lot of the load in OMs. Overall i think the lack of depth and recent success of the players are a recipe for a potential disaster for this team, however if the SM core gets itself rolling this could be one of the more dominant teams. High risk and high bust potential. Should be fighting for a playoff spot. Shoutouts for Leru and Eien for drafting Wanka and Misaka together:heart:

Player to watch: Leru

Rascal Ralts

MWP champion manager Torkool is ready to go back-to-back with one of his best friends on this site in Tyke. Tyke and Torkool who both went 5-1 and 7-2 in their respective Mono OMs in the last MWP should be able to churn out amazing records again. Tyke’s activity has been horrible recently though with him pretty much bailing out on his MPL team this summer. If Tyke will find time to be active, his metagame knowledge in all of the OMs should have a huge impact. Torkool has also trusted pick one of his old teammates in Miyoka, who went in 7-2 Ubers last year. The recent ghosting scandals surrounding Miyoka have put an asterisk on that performance though and it will be interesting to see if he will be able to play the whole tournament. Sae is one of the oldest Mono OM players has always been able to provide good records in his tiers of choice.
While the Ralts have a dominant OM core, the SM core leaves a lot to desire. Lead by the innovative builder in Ima, who recently struggled in MPL at SM. Ima has a heavy building role on the team since his team mate Croven is known for his inability to build monotype teams and Finchinator has never even touched monotype. Croven always manages to somehow luck his way in to a positive record but don’t expect major fireworks from him. Finch’s role is a big question mark on the team and it will be interesting to see what he will play in his monotype debut. Doubleswitches underperformed in MPL and the last MWP but should be able to provide a decent record this time. Props to torkool for drafting a flexible and active bench. Overall this team boasts one of the best OM lineups but the SM strenght is a big question mark. Should be able to fight for a playoff spot.

Player to watch: Tyke

Ever Grande Eevees

I love the fact that KevinELF and Attribute showed the confidence to draft themselves. KevinELF who has been one of the more promising players in the community for the last 2 years has never really had that defining tournament, constantly getting average results in monothreat. But KevinELF is clearly decided to stop being average and take his game to the next level with this confidence. However if he starts the season slow it will be hard for him to recover under the pressure. Attribute is taking the lead of the Eevees SM core and will have a big role building teams for everyone. Attributes recent success in SM hasn’t been nothing to brag about though, most notably finishing his last MWP season with a 1-5 record in SM. Hopefully though he will be able to prove himself as a mainstay in the tier this time. The biggest attraction of this team is the OM core between Jrdn and Sylveon. They should without a doubt be able to provide positive records and support for each other. Catalystic is hoping to recover from last years 3-6 performance in Ubers. With the right amount of motivation he could end up being one of the better players in the Ubers pool. While the OMs should be fine, it’s interesting how the SM core will work with the lead of Attribute. cb aaron judge and feliburn could both end up positive with the right amount of team support. Overall the Eevees are a question mark for me and a lot of pressure is on the manager pair to perform. Should be able to compete for a playoff spot

Player to watch: Attribute

Croissant Copping Chikoritas

New managers Chaitanya and Waszap are both coming off a great MPL run in SM with both going 5-2 and 6-2. They should be able to reproduce that success in MWP too. Im not really sure who their 3rd SM slot is. They got Shake R3 who has always done well in these tournaments but it will be interesting to see if Shake will be motivated at all to play without his friends. Known for always teaming up with Lax in these tournaments, I seriously doubt Shake has ever built a monotype team for himself. If motivated though shake could provide them wins in SM. Another option for SM is Trichotomy who has been providing great results recently in seasonals and MLT. His 3-3 run in MPL was decent, but maybe he can up his game with the support of his managers. Nailec is making his big stage debut in MWP but for a R4 LC pick he has big shoes to fill for someone without tournament experience. Racool is back again after a decent 3-3 MWP last year and should be able to provide wins and support in AAA and STABmons. Ransei gives the Chikoritas some depth in the OMs while Mysterious M is good ubers pick up. Overall this is a decent team that heavily relies on it’s managers to beast in SM. I think the lack of a clear star player and a Monothreat player is a small issue but with the right team environment I could see this team making playoffs. Should compete for a playoff positioning.

Player to watch: -Tsunami-

Rustboro Raptors

i dont see us losing a series. bop

Final thoughts

If you read the whole thing you may have realised that I thought that every team had a decent chance of making playoffs. I truly believe that this was a very balanced draft and much better compared to the MPL4 one were there were 4 favorites to make the playoffs instantly after the draft. Only big suprise during the regular season atleast for me was how close the Surskits actually came to making playoffs and how badly the Wartortles imploded. Anyways I hope everyone included has a fun season and GL guys!

How does one makes impartial power rankings by himself? The answer is one can't.

It is very clear in the post that you are unfamiliar with majority of Monotype playerbase in past tours such as MPL, seasonnals etc., which isn't your fault since you have only played in MPL IV and a seasonal tournament (with no managing experience in a Monotype tournament) and it's a learning experience. Instead of doing proper research or asking someone else to help write the power rankings you decided to post something just for likes instead of putting time, effort, and research into the posting assuming that you knew Monotype playerbase already (as shown by projected lineups being wrong) which is wrong way to go about managing for a team tournament where sometimes giving unknown players a chance can pay off.

For example, calling Trichotomy a mediocre 8th round pick is wrong given Trichotomy has won the recent Monotype Summer seasonal. This could have been easily avoided with a bit of research by looking at recent Summer seasonal finals (This is just one example among many others).

I hope you'll take something positive away from my post and let's have good and fun tournament.
Idk what the pr custom in monotype is but I just posted mine for entertainment (and even specified so) which is usually appreciated in the communities ive been a part of. Also, perhaps I wasnt very clear on Trichotomy but since he got picked during the 8th round he should technically be on the bottom of MWP SM starter unless every single manager failed to draft him during a more fitting time.

EDIT: Also I can guarantee you that I've put in more effort into simply writing this up than most posts in this thread

Last edited:
This is posted just for entertainment, and since this is usually appreciated in communities i hope you like it.
EDIT: I can guarantee i put more hours into this than any post on this thread
Way to go about missrepresenting my arguments and taking everything out of context. Turned out pretty funny tho

Reactions: ima
Challenge accepted.
WELCOME TO [VoD]METABEAST'S UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS

The issue with going off monotype tour results is that it doesn't take into account the obvious variance that comes with playing a tier where it seems like 90% of the games are decided via matchup. Only the truly amazing monotype players can comeback from a desperate situation such as

carrying the team to a tiebreak when all hope seemed lost.

Now then, my unbiased rankings will be based on the perceived player skill I have of the individuals in this tournament. For those whose skill is relatively unknown to me, I will be giving the benefit of the doubt to those who are ranked higher as well as those with teambuilding support I can appreciate. BTW, charmflash's rankings were also garbage and made me want to die inside.
NOW THEN, let the fun begin. Since I have no idea what tier anyone is playing, I'm just going to rank the first 8 players of each team in playing ability.

Sootopolis Sealeos:

From everything I have seen and or heard about 1 True Lycan, he seems to be a dominant force, a man whose impact could be compared to legendary players such as gr8astard and ABR. Following them is Pak, who rebounded from what I considered to be a mediocre SPL performance playing-wise to a very impressive Snake tour. Especially considering the poor quality of the competition in this tournament, I'm sure he will do well. Following Pak, we have the classic "Jerk" core of Star, obii, and rozes. rozes seems to be an AAA tryhard, whatever the hell that is, so I'm sure he'll do fine. obii's skill level is solid enough for sure in this tour, while Star is an exceptional tournament player when he's been given the opportunity to actually play (which is never since he corrupted a 10 yr old brazilian kid). I'd probably have to rank Star as the best overall player in this tournament, so getting him in round 3 is nothing short of a massive steal. The roster is rounded out by a collection of names I'm not too familiar or impressed with. With the teambuilding support provided throughout the team, though, I'm sure they can do decently enough to help this team make playoffs.

Dauntless Dewgongs:

This team's draft was extremely weird to me. The two managers decided to take themselves in round 1, despite Charmflash to me being a below average player and Tesseract being a completely irrelevant unknown. These two factors combined with the information that they are not monotype mains makes this draft extremely questionable from the beginning. They followed this pick up with VoD's own Quote, a player who Charmflash seems to have grossly overestimated by labeling him, for whatever reason, to be the 2nd best LCer in this tournament ?_? What tours have you been watching bro. After this is Arifeen, a former monomain and the current RUTL who I consider to be a steal in R4 considering his former prowess in monotype and his relatively competent battling acumen. They then drafted a doubles main and and a PU main who half the site seems to hate for whatever reason. Probably average enough for this tour I guess. This team seems to really lack star power, so Arifeen will have to hard carry and ghost every slot for them to have even a minor shot at playoffs.

Native Natus:

Next up, we have a team managed by a dude whose name is a combination of starmaster and blimlax ?_? I've heard that Paleo is a very good and appreciated monotype player, so I'm sure he was worth the 3rd overall pick. Kingler12345 is next, and he should easily be the 1st or second best LCer in the tournament, depending on what star plays. While Kingler has been known to choke and greed up in the past, I'm sure the pitiful playerpool in this tournament will allow him to rack up the wins, nonetheless. The rest of this team is very difficult to rate, since I am unaware of their playing skills. One of the posts above me referenced "SirSkit" as one of the biggest steals in the draft, but considering his inability to spell "Surskit," I'm not really sure if I can agree with that notion. Hikari is definitely a very solid player, though, and if he even puts in minimal effort, I'm sure he can put up a solid enough record with the team support his team can supposedly provide.

Good Civ Goodras:

Probably the only two managers in the tour that could justify buying themselves in the 1st round. Eien has shown to be a massive force in monotype, which is further reinforced by the fact that he and I essentially created the same MonoPsychic team a few years ago. Leru is a competent player who shined in the later stages of the Snake Draft, and his Ubers knowledge will surely do him a great service against this playerbase. The rest of this team seems to be a great deal of question marks, although I will give Eternal Snowman the benefit of the doubt since he has Leru's support. Wanka was apparently in TUG or Squad or one of the other chats, so he's probably decent enough. No one else really impresses me, and if they're going to have to sub in Bouff at any point in time, this team could go downhill quickly.

Rascal Ralts:

The managers of this team are apparently solid according to one of the posts above mine, so they can have the benefit of the doubt I suppose. Rumor has it that ima had a big role in drafting this team, so hopefully he was able to put together a bunch of competent assets. ima is probably decent enough in this player pool. I'm not really sure why they drafted a doubles main in Round 4, but whatever. Finchinator went absurdly late considering his tryhard nature and overall skill level, so he's probably the steal of the draft. There's not much to say about this team due to the irrelevance of many of their players, but perhaps they have upside.

Ever Grande Eevees:

Another pair of managers that probably shouldn't have bought themselves. In terms of users by the name of "Kevin" on Smogon, I'm not even sure KevinELF cracks the top 10 in relevance. Attribute apparently went 1-5? in the last mono tour so....this team seems like a failure already. The rest of this team seems very unimpressive to me, as they somehow took cbt in round 5??? Apparently Jrdn and Sylveon are decent so I guess there's that. Shoutouts to lax for snaking Feliburn for the 10th tour in a row, hope you achieve bro cuz your team will definitely need it.

Croissant Copping Chikoritias:

Ah yes, my team. As I've referenced before, I really don't think any managers besides Eien and Leru should have drafted themselves. Time will tell if this pair will perform; apparently they were good in the last monotour, so I guess they have that going for them. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have gotten better talent in that slot, however. After this, they decided to significantly boost the trophy count of their lineup by adding the 2nd ranked player in the Smogon Hall of Fame, me. I have shown great flashes of monotype greatness, in my opinion, and consider myself single-handedly responsible for getting Kartana banned earlier in SM. The disclaimer here is that I don't really play Pokemon and obviously need my teams fed to me. So if team support is lacking, then I could easily under perform. I'm not really sure what to say about the rest of my team, as I literally have never heard of any of them before besides Mysterious M, who is Greek. And as I have said on countless occasions,

Only roudolf has managed to increase his standing since that log. Overall, I would not be surprised if this team ended the season with 1 or two wins, since the lack of talent is startling. I am hopeful, however.

Rustboro Raptors:

Lastly, we get to Lax's team. The anti-jerk team ft. Pearl. The team I should have been on. Lax is a former monotype main who possesses a wide array of teams and has a wealth of knowledge. He has proven himself in major tournaments earlier this season, taking down one of Smogon's top players in bro fist in the Smogon Classic and carrying TDK and SG in the Snake Draft. Luckily for the managers of this squad, Lax is not a manager, leaving him unable to sabotage the squad by subbing out its 2 best players in Week 7 because he was too lazy to do actual math. Sabella, in this playerpool, is a very solid player, and also has a great deal of monotype knowledge to fall back on. rnbs I believe is a very hyped player, although I did curbstomp him in an earlier mono tour. Pearl is a Grand Slam champion, and has truly displayed his battling prowess this year. trash has put up solid monotype records in the past, and now that he gets to play his home tier of LC, I'm sure he will do decently enough. Kushalos is another player whose stock has risen lately. They also managed to snag passion late in the tour, who can provide a spark off the bench if needed. Overall, this is a very solid team that should easily contend for a title.

Overall Rankings:

1. Sootopolis Sealeos
2. Rustboro Raptors

3-8: all the other dogshit teams

Yeah...I really overestimated the quality of some of these rosters. It really wouldn't shock me if any of them made the playoffs, considering how bad they all are. I don't really know how 2 teams are infinitely better than the other 6 but here we are vros. Can we just scrap the playoffs and make it a two team final, like seriously none of the other teams deserve to win LOL come on.

So, that concludes another edition of my amazing UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS

Last edited:
If only youd be this sharp when playing pokemon maybe you wouldnt be permabenched in five years of maining monotype
Honestly, Chras is actually good and could easily crush anime strippers such as charm flash in a heartbeat. The problem is that he sacrificed all his pikachus to Gary so that he could become a full-time memer (a very worthy cause) so he doesnt have time for mons anymore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)