Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Update on my problem:

I decided to change the nature from "Brave" (for my Trick Room team) to "Adamant" and see where that went.

Guess what? It worked perfectly on the first attempt. Shiny, Skill Link ability, male, albeit the change from "Brave" to "Adamant".

BUT! That makes me wonder why it did not work with "Brave" nature, when I have made other "Brave"-natured Pokemon in the past. I can almost surely say that what I was doing before with the Brave-attempts was exactly what I did with the Adamant-one.

It makes me believe that the RNG Reporter may sometimes spit out seeds that will not work. I do not know why, and I don't hate the RNG Reporter because of it. But I thought I'd put this out there, maybe for someone to investigate... (though Black and White is coming out soon, so maybe the issue should just be left alone.)

Your target is 798 and this is what you've been getting:
T,T,T,T,H,H,T,T,T,T 3D0C0312 14 776
T,H,T,H,H,T,H,T,T,T 3D0C0316 14 780
H,T,T,T,T,T,H,H,T,T 3D0C0320 14 790
T,H,T,H,H,T,T,H,T,H 3D0C0313 14 776
T,H,T,H,T,H,H,T,T,T 3D0C0311 14 774

Basically, your results are pretty varied, but 776-780 range is pretty close to consistent. So this means that your timing on when you press "a" for pikatimer is really making you hit delays 776-780ish and not what you want - 798. So you can use the "Other Delay" box of pikatimer to enter in what you're hitting so that pikatimer can adjust the timing for you.
Thanks, Bakus. ^^

Two things keep happening to me. I was hitting a seed that didn't match up in Elm Finder, yet when I finished putting in this seed it brought me to the seed I was supposed to hit; saying I was on the right frame. This happened twice. The second thing is that I've been trying a seed with an even frame (mine is usually odd) with a game boy advance cart inserted, and I keep hitting odd delays. I've been making sure all my dates and seeds match up. Can someone tell me what's going on here?
I've had both these things happen too, and don't really have an explanation for them. I've just had to change the year a few times to get my delay to change from even to odd or vice versa. The seed thing is just strange, as sometimes my roamers won't match but elm calls will. Usually when I get something weird like that which doesn't show up in my adjacent delays, I know I've probably hit my seed regardless of what the game is telling me.

@Enfusion - Well I'm glad it worked for Adamant, although it's not what you wanted. I'm sure it was driving you nuts. It seems weird though that it wouldn't work for any spread for Brave nature....I'm going to say 99% of the problems people post in here are user errors, but I still don't know what was happening in your game lol.

I've had both these things happen too, and don't really have an explanation for them. I've just had to change the year a few times to get my delay to change from even to odd or vice versa. The seed thing is just strange, as sometimes my roamers won't match but elm calls will. Usually when I get something weird like that which doesn't show up in my adjacent delays, I know I've probably hit my seed regardless of what the game is telling me.
The only problem with this is that I'm trying to RNG for IVs right now..if this happens again should I just keep advancing the frame until I'm at the frame before what I want to get?

The only problem with this is that I'm trying to RNG for IVs right now..if this happens again should I just keep advancing the frame until I'm at the frame before what I want to get?
Yeah, I guess. If you've done it twice before and the same thing happened each time, then just make the adjustment that should let you hit your spread and see what happens. When you say RNG for IVs you're referring to breeding correct?

Yeah, I guess. If you've done it twice before and the same thing happened each time, then just make the adjustment that should let you hit your spread and see what happens. When you say RNG for IVs you're referring to breeding correct?
Correct. Sorry I wasn't that specific. I've had a super long day.

Update on my problem:

I decided to change the nature from "Brave" (for my Trick Room team) to "Adamant" and see where that went.

Guess what? It worked perfectly on the first attempt. Shiny, Skill Link ability, male, albeit the change from "Brave" to "Adamant".

BUT! That makes me wonder why it did not work with "Brave" nature, when I have made other "Brave"-natured Pokemon in the past. I can almost surely say that what I was doing before with the Brave-attempts was exactly what I did with the Adamant-one.

It makes me believe that the RNG Reporter may sometimes spit out seeds that will not work. I do not know why, and I don't hate the RNG Reporter because of it. But I thought I'd put this out there, maybe for someone to investigate... (though Black and White is coming out soon, so maybe the issue should just be left alone.)

@Enfusion - Well I'm glad it worked for Adamant, although it's not what you wanted. I'm sure it was driving you nuts. It seems weird though that it wouldn't work for any spread for Brave nature....I'm going to say 99% of the problems people post in here are user errors, but I still don't know what was happening in your game lol.
I have seen this weird seed thing happen at least once a month when doing RNG. Most of the time, Elm calls match, Roamer positions match and coin flips for delays on DPPt are accurate. But every now and then, like yesterday, roamer positions could not be trusted, Elm calls were wrong, and coin flips for adjacents on DPPt were so far off as to be laughable. When this happens, I revert to catching a pokemon and using it to get my seed in Seed Finder. Coin flips have become so impractical for adjacents on DPPt that I never use them to update Pikatimer. I always use Seed Finder. Yesterday and the day before, I had to use Seed Finder on both HGSS and on DPPt to get the correct delays because searching Roamers, Elm and the coin flips wasn't working. I bred two cows without using roamers to figure out adjacents, because they were wrong all the time, except when I hit my target. Same for the catches on DPPt, the coin flips for adjacents were just way off, except for the target delay.

letsgocraaaazy, I've also had RNG Reporter report the wrong roamer positions for a target delay, but all adjacents are correct. This has happened about three times already. I get suspicious when I see "No match was found..." more than once for the same Roamer positions that show up. Make a note of a suspicious Roamer and Elm result and if Seed Finder confirms it via a wild catch, use the seed anyhow. Just be very careful you stop on the right frame if Elm calls don't match.

I don't know if the newest version of RNG Reporter has fixed this issue. I'm still using the earlier version.

I'm interested in capture RNG. How do I find out ALL the flawless (shiny/non-shiny) IV spreads I have for my ID/SID combo?

I'm interested in capture RNG. How do I find out ALL the flawless (shiny/non-shiny) IV spreads I have for my ID/SID combo?
i can give you that answer. zero
you'd be lucky to get a flawless spread with good nature without abusing your ID/SID.

you might have a few very good spreads though, in which case, you will need the program called PokeRNG to find.

[edit]- i was talking about shiny spreads. for non shiny, there are a ton. sorry for the confusion.

@Klutch: Use Wichu's PokéRNG program (can be downloaded from the first post on this thread). Confirm wanting to search for shiny, enter your ID and SID, and then input the IV criteria you want.

IV spreads themselves do not depend on ID/SID. It's only if you want them to be shiny that ID/SID combo matters, so if you don't care about shinies, just do not specifically search for shiny spreads.

I use Wichu's PokeRNG program already and I can't seem to find any flawless IV spreads I want even when I search for non-shiny and random natured pokemon. What I really need is something that can list all the flawless IV spreads. Any ideas?

Edit: I don't know enough about ID/SID abuse yet so I need to research on that first.

Just use Wichu's PokeRNG - it's much easier to find a customized set than browsing through alooot of data. Also quicker, XD.

Just keep in mind that IV searches are minimum values as long as you say "N" to when it asks you to search for exact IVs. So for a Jolly nature it'd be 31/31/31/0/31/31
Don't be afraid to increase your delay too. The best/easiest spreads are on higher delays, so feel free to search for max 5000 for example.

Just curious:
Would anyone be interested if I made a YouTube group for people to discuss RNG abuse and post videos with tutorials/Pokémon obtained? Or do you think it's redundant due to this thread or too hard to find? I was thinking we could get the major tutorial posters to put links to it in the descriptions of their videos. I see a lot of comments asking for help on tutorial videos, which mostly go unanswered. Also, most likely, more serious Pokémon players have YouTube accounts than Smogon accounts.
I would promote all of the people here who seem to know what they're doing to mods, and most likely transfer ownership to Dea or somebody else.

Just curious:
Would anyone be interested if I made a YouTube group for people to discuss RNG abuse and post videos with tutorials/Pokémon obtained? Or do you think it's redundant due to this thread or too hard to find? I was thinking we could get the major tutorial posters to put links to it in the descriptions of their videos. I see a lot of comments asking for help on tutorial videos, which mostly go unanswered. Also, most likely, more serious Pokémon players have YouTube accounts than Smogon accounts.
I would promote all of the people here who seem to know what they're doing to mods, and most likely transfer ownership to Dea or somebody else.
There are already several tutorial videos by Bearsfan092 in one of the Topic's OPs.

Just curious:

i think any effort to organize and consolidate any info pertaining to RNG abuse is a good idea. i'm trying to learn but i find the information extremely convoluted and disorganized, especially for hgss. the information is primarily found in this huge thread and is mixed in with dppt information.

on that note, im going to keep trying to learn tonight. ive calibrated my seconds and delays, but im confused about something. im using rng reporter, but i also have pokerng. my goal is to get my wondercardnight sky jirachi to be jolly and 31/31/31/x/31/31. ideally i want it to be shiny (i know both my IDs) but the stats are the most important part. i am using HG.

im trying to find a seed, but im confused about when the programs ask me for a time. do i pick a time arbitrarily? do i pick the current time? i was under the impression that the whole point of RNG abuse was to find a date/time to change your ds clock to and start the game so that the game's rng would give me my desired results. the "seed to time" function confounds me further, leading me to believe that i'm in a 'chicken or egg?' type of scenario.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i really want to get this down to gear up for gen 5.

Yeah, I remember the pikatimer and no sound thing happening to someone else and it wasn't resolved then either I don't think. If you're ok with it, just use the visual style - hit "a" not on teh pings but when the timer reaches 0 :)

i think any effort to organize and consolidate any info pertaining to RNG abuse is a good idea. i'm trying to learn but i find the information extremely convoluted and disorganized, especially for hgss. the information is primarily found in this huge thread and is mixed in with dppt information.
My idea was more to form a community of RNGers situated on YouTube, where all tutorials would happen to be, and people could ask questions and discuss.

Your idea is quite good as well, though. I might try and do that if somebody else doesn't.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this being worked on atm as for the whole youtube thing go ahead and form it if it will help people understand RNG abuse then there's nothing wrong with that. Although you mentioned using Bearsfan's videos, just remember to ask him if he'd be alright with that. Also, remember to give credit for info you may host in this group if it becomes reality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 27)