Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

i have a ds lite but not gen 3 pokemon games. i have other gba games if those would work. my target delay is 518 and i keep getting 517, 519, 523, etc. i adjust the pikatimer accordingly, but then i WOULD'VE gotten 518 on some occasions. i have yet to try changing the year or inserting gba or moving the arrow down since i'm on SS.
If you're hitting odd delays you'll ONLY hit odd delays, so you were doing something wrong. Ideally you should have chosen a seed with an odd delay to match yours. You can do one of the 3 things suggested above...

-change the year by 1 (will change your delay by 1 so it'll be odd)
-insert the gba game
-the up/down on the continue screen

personally I've never done the latter 2

i must've been missing the ding on pikatimer or something. i forgot about the even delays thing too. i went and found a different spread...well a similar spread with an odd delay. i hope it works!

edit: worked! changed the seed, got an odd delay, and it worked! yay!

Man, I've RNG'd shiny perfect IV eggs before, why is this so much more damn difficult? lol I think I might get it next time around... I give up tonight >_>

So everything I RNG abused so far has a starting frame of one. But I hear Oak's starters have a starting frame of 5. So my advancements that I have to do if the target frame is 140 is 140-1-5=134 right? And then Mash A so that the NPC doesn't move @.@

In HG/SS, roamers advance the frame by a number greater than the number of roamers out only if the game is saved with one of the roamers already on the route that it would normally be on when hitting your seed, correct? Does this mean that the most number of frames that can be advanced from having 3 roamers out is 6 (if the game was saved with all 3 already on their routes for your target seed)? The most I've seen is 4.

If you're hitting odd delays you'll ONLY hit odd delays, so you were doing something wrong. Ideally you should have chosen a seed with an odd delay to match yours. You can do one of the 3 things suggested above...

-change the year by 1 (will change your delay by 1 so it'll be odd)
-insert the gba game
-the up/down on the continue screen

personally I've never done the latter 2
See, I don't get this, when I verify my seed I often find that I alternate between even and odd delays. Neither seems to be set in stone for me.

See, I don't get this, when I verify my seed I often find that I alternate between even and odd delays. Neither seems to be set in stone for me.
Diamond/Pearl seem to alternate between even and odd delays quite frequently, so unless these are the only games you have, I wouldn't recommend them for RNG abuse. Platinum is strictly odd or strictly even (mine is always even, but I think it varies by cart), and you can change from one to the other by removing/inserting a GBA cart into the DS. I've found that HeartGold and SoulSilver occasionally alternate, but they have long consistent periods of hitting strictly odd or strictly even delays, and you can change from one to the other by scrolling to the bottom of the Continue/New Game/etc. menu with the arrows and back up before entering the game and hitting your seed.

i hatched a skarmory earlier with near perfect IVs, but it wasn't shiny and wasn't perfect. so i went back to the daycare and RNGed for a shiny with the new skarmory and the same staraptor from before. i successfully got the shiny and saved in front of the old man, but i'm having trouble with the IVs. i can't seem to get a seed anywhere near my target. if i get a sequence of elm calls they end up being within the sequence and not from beginning. all my roamers are dead so they aren't messing with the frames. is there an NPC at the daycare in SS? does the menu mess with the frames? i didn't have this problem with my first IV breed.

i hatched a skarmory earlier with near perfect IVs, but it wasn't shiny and wasn't perfect. so i went back to the daycare and RNGed for a shiny with the new skarmory and the same staraptor from before. i successfully got the shiny and saved in front of the old man, but i'm having trouble with the IVs. i can't seem to get a seed anywhere near my target. if i get a sequence of elm calls they end up being within the sequence and not from beginning. all my roamers are dead so they aren't messing with the frames. is there an NPC at the daycare in SS? does the menu mess with the frames? i didn't have this problem with my first IV breed.
I'd catch a wild Pokémon (there are level 50+ Pokémon available on the mountainside of Mt. Silver - enter the cave, go to the right, exit, and you'll be in the right area) to find out exactly what seed/delay you're hitting, and adjust your timer accordingly. Opening/closing/navigating the menu does nothing to the RNG (and no NPCs can advance the frame while the menu is open), unless of course you use the PokéGear's Phone or Radio. There is 1 NPC on the route that the Daycare is on, and the recommended strategy is to calibrate once (with only 1 NPC, you don't need to calibrate several times like you do in D/P/Pt), then aim for a spread on the frame you got (or if you must, aim for a higher frame, load the game, open the menu ASAP, advance the frame with the PokéGear, close the menu, and talk to the Daycare man ASAP).

I am getting odd delays but I want even delays. HOWEVER, I am resetting for a certain year and an Emerald-insert pokemon. How to fix??

Flipping/opening the diary to a page where it says a pokemon has been caught/defeated etc. advances the frame by 2. You're doing something else wrong. Remember that if you're on frame, say 21...Heatran's IVs are generated on frame 22.
ok, but my frame is odd (13.671), but i've 13.672.. it's impossible..

Diamond/Pearl seem to alternate between even and odd delays quite frequently, so unless these are the only games you have, I wouldn't recommend them for RNG abuse. Platinum is strictly odd or strictly even (mine is always even, but I think it varies by cart), and you can change from one to the other by removing/inserting a GBA cart into the DS. I've found that HeartGold and SoulSilver occasionally alternate, but they have long consistent periods of hitting strictly odd or strictly even delays, and you can change from one to the other by scrolling to the bottom of the Continue/New Game/etc. menu with the arrows and back up before entering the game and hitting your seed.
I am using Platinum. >.> I own Platinum, HG and SS, with ROM backups on a flashcart which is what I actually play through.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am getting odd delays but I want even delays. HOWEVER, I am resetting for a certain year and an Emerald-insert pokemon. How to fix??
You could try to shift the year to see if that helps, but if that swaps your delay I think you might be out of luck / might need to breed the pokemon.

Hey guys, I see a lot of people who breed with shiny spread they got with their ID/SID combo. I'd like to do that too, but unfortunately I don't know what they are nor do I know if they are good. Can anyone help me figure them out?

Ok, I get that the NPC in the grass might move the frame, but what if it's different each time? Like trying the egg after 11 frame advances, he causes the egg to be frame 15, and then trying after 10, he causes it to be 26. How do I work around this guy?

I know that power items affect the ivs passed down. I caught a pokemon with an item, not a power item and hatched it shiny without taking off the item. I didn't notice untill I was putting them into the daycare. I won't affect the ivs when I rnged them at all. Right?

I don't know how that'll affect the rest of the spread. Hopefully whatever stat that power item was for will pass along it's IV and leave the rest as that seed/frame were suppose to be.

Oh, no. They don't. The only items affecting Breeding are the incenses to make the baby forms, power items for IVs, and Everstone for Natures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)