Multiplayer games for the Wii

Yeah, here I am with a wii thread again. I got some extra money, and with it I'm planning on buying an extra wiimote (and a nunchuk) and a new game. However, I am not very knowledgeable on what's good on the multiplayer scene out there. The only game I like so far is Mario Strikers Charged which looks incredibly fun, but I'd like to be aware of other games that may be good playing with a friend.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The first game that comes to mind is Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Now, it is very fun, and all in all a great game. But if you've played the other Wario Ware games, this one will seem a little toned down in comparison. They could've done a lot more with it, like most Wii games, but it's still damn fun. You might be able to find it cheap now, as well.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock is a right blast, but you'd need to buy a 2nd guitar and that would cost quite a lot. It may not be worth buying a 2nd guitar just for the chance to play it with a friend either, it'd be more worthwhile if your friend(s) owend the game too.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is actually pretty fun too. It got mediocre reviews, but multiplayer is where it's at, though you'll have to unlock a lot of the games in single player first. If you liked the Wii Sports package, you'll probably like this as well.

I'd suggest steering clear of Mario Party 8 & RedSteel though, they're really not as fun as they might seem.

Wait for Mario Kart & Super Smash Bros. Brawl if you want some real fun multiplayer games.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
when playing the wii in person, the best games to get are guitar hero 3, wii sports, mario strikers and maybe mario party if you see yourself having friends over often

i wouldnt rely on the wii's wifi games at this point, they are either not that good (pokemon battle revolution) or filled with (BAN ME PLEASE) that use cheap strategies (mario strikers)

cheap strategies are cool though

I say get strikers

nothing else is really good for multiplayer, I mean if you're gonna get GH3 you're getting it for its 1P =/

Well, you already know what's coming out will rock your wii's world.

Other than what's been said, consider just gettign mario bros. 3 on the virtual console and taking turns. It's surprisingly funny to watch people die in some of the siliest scenarios and gives you an excuse to call that one acquaintance of yours who thinks he's, a retard.

But really, the wii's multiplayer library is pretty mediocre right now. I have oen myself and am absolutely starved for Brawl because nothing else satisfies me. And will be that way for another two months. But if you really want to play with a friend in a near jaw dropping experience, just grab Melee or Mario Kart for the cube and play those while you wait for their successors to appear.

Get Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3, if you don't have it. Not sure if Tenkaichi 3 has come out here yet, but 2 should still be available in some stores. It's a must have if you're a DBZ fan. Loads of characters and a huge ass story mode (Dragon Adventure). Also liked the Wiimote controls a lot. It's weird at first, but after playing for a while, I got used to them and didn't even want to touch the GC controler. It feels and plays a lot better using the Wiimote IMO.

Regarding the 3rd, other than having a few more characters and online play, I read the Story Mode pales in comparision to Tenkaichi 2, being a lot shorter, besides the game overall not feeling much like an update from the last.

Whatever you get, please ignore Mario Party8(Its just like every other Mario Party) My brother bought it, And it sucks.

Oh and BTW Red Steel sucks even more. If you want a multiplayer FPS game wait for RedSteel 2 i guess

Seeing as there aren't any other good multiplayer games that picked my interest (except Smooth Moves. damn that looks fun), I think I'm gonna go with my first choice and get Strikers.

btw KoD I have both tenkaichi's for the ps2 and they absolutely rock. 2 has a better storyline and better character item customization, but 3 gets the prize when it comes to battles. It's way quicker, more moves were added, some old ones were tweaked, and transformation sequences never looked better.

Strikers is fun but becomes more fun the better you get, actually try playing the first time with a friend without looking at the controls its crazy.
Smooth moves sounds really fun and fast.
Mario vs Sonic-i only just got and i hardly even play single player only multiplayer with my sister as we are really the main challenge for each other considering how bad the cpu is.
red steel is a good shooter as long as you both know how to play or else it's just slaughter.
Mario Party 8 is only fun if you have friends around otherwise single player sucks.
Tenkaichi 3 is amazing on PS2 i couldn't put it down and i am sure it's the same on the Wii the only reason i didn't get it for the Wii was because it came out in January and PS2 version came out in November

Just a note: the guitar controller for GH3 on Wii will not come out until February (if I remember correctly). There wasn't enough of a demand for it until recently compared to spare PS2 or Xbox360 guitar controllers, so if you want to get GH3 for multiplayer, you'll have to stick with online play until the controllers come out seperately for Wii. It's one of Wii's greatest games so far.

I've never really watched or read much DBZ, but my brother got DBZ:T3 (or 2 I dont remember) for Christmas on Wii and I love it. 150+ characters and fast paced, cartoonish gameplay is awesome. Oh, and it's Wi-fi compatible too. Other than the much hated (or loved...) Naruto series (I rented Naruto Revolution and the fighting style was great, but the lack of characters disapointed me), or Red Steel (which was hard to control and had disapointing graphics) there aren't many other multiplayer Wii options that are good. Just wait until Brawl comes out in less than two months. It'll be amazing.

Never underestimate the power of Wii Sports! Its such a fun multiplayer game, seriously, even though it came with your Wii this is a quality game and I know people that had this game and this game alone for Wii, and thought it was still the bomb-diggity (more casual gamer-types, though).

Wii Play comes with a controller (for +$10), and is limited in its fun but some of the minigames are pretty cool (I love laser hockey!), especially if you liked Wii Sports. Normally wouldn't be notable, but if you're gonna get the extra controller, shelling out another $10 is pretty decent.

With Mario Kart and Super Smash on the horizon, you may just want to save your money, though.

I just got resident evil umbrella chronicles yesterday, and the co-op is so much fun. My brother and I have a great time blasting through walls of zombies and mutants. I would highly recommend it, even if it is a bit short.

soul calibur: legends is surprisingly accessible, i played with 2 dudes and a girl not long ago

Strikers, Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3, Trauma Centre: New Blood, GH3(Wait for the Mono bug to be fixed though), maybe Umbrella Chronicles (haven't played). Link's Crossbow Training is fun to compete in but you can't play 2 player simultaneous.

But best of all... DOWNLOAD GUNSTAR HEROES!!!

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've got umbrella chronicles, and I must say it's great fun Blasting the crap out of a fuckload of zombies with a firend :) Unfortunatly I do have a few quibles with it, the least of which being that some of the ideas implimented for the single player don't work well in the two player (like counterattacking, which is always a 1hko on zombies but while one person trys to do the counter the other always inevitbly ends up shooting the zombie and ending the attack)

Still absolutly bezerk fun though.

i'm going to have to say strikers is pretty gay, online is not fun at all with everyone using incredibly cheap ass tricks. the learning curve is pretty high for that game if you want to play online.

mario party 8 is not that bad if you've got friends over often, but if you don't, then don't bother

guitar hero 3 is great but it's better on other platforms, mainly because they are actually in stock (at least not around here...)

seriously though, not much out now compares to brawl and mario kart coming out in the coming months, i'd wait if i were you.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Every multiplayer game I've played on Wii other than Wii Sports and Mario Strikers has sucked. I've played Rayman Raving Rabbids, WarioWare Smooth Moves, Mario Party 8, Dragon Ball Z: BT2, and Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution. I didn't spend that much time with Naruto or DBZ though, maybe it gets better once you know what you're doing.

Edit: 1 friend?
Gunstar Heroes as previously mentioned. Download it. $8.
Trauma Center: New Blood as also previously mentioned. $50.

Link's Crossbow training is fun to take turns on. It's not much of a loss, even if you don't like it because it's only $20 AND comes with the Wii Zapper.

Personally though, I believe it is an addicting game to play. My friends and I are always competing for high scores!

If your looking for on online shooter there is only one. Medal of honor 2 heroes. This is the game i find myself playing most often. I have a mod chip on my wii so i download new games when they come out and try out a lot of games. And playing this game online is very enjoyable.

As an online shooter its not half bad. By no means is it Halo 3 or CoD4. And its aiming isn't as pin point as metriod prime 3 is. But it plays fast paced and is easy to get into. It almost never lags and finding a room isn't hard. The controls are also well done. Throwing grenades is hard at first but after a while it becomes second nature. It also has other modes for when your not playing online such as arcade and single player campaign.

The cons are the graphics are at ps2 level and are not stunning in any definition of the word. Also there is no jump which is very annoying. Also with no mic support for the wii you can't make any strategies.

But all things aside this game shows that if developers try to make a great shooter for the wii it can be amazing.

As for now i think it is the best online multiplayer game on the wii except for maybe guitar hero 3.

If your looking for a good party game. Wario Ware is me and my friends favorite. Its extremly fast passed and you will lose your mind scream and go crazy while playing it. As of now there is nothing else really worth spending your $60 on. Wait for brawl and kart.

I know this thread is a little old but I just picked up a Guilty Gear XX Core today and its pretty good... I suggest picking it up. Also if it hasnt already been suggested Resident Evil Chronicles is out for the Wii as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)