SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

I actually take it that the Pokemon themselves aren't speaking human language, but rather as a Pokemon you understand what Pokemon are saying. Whatever summoned the player character into the PMD world would deem it useful that you have all the benefits of being a Pokemon as well as the human traits that are desired to help save the world from... whatever. (giant meteor, giant evil ice thing, Darkrai's machinations, etc.)
That could be the case for other games but doesn't quite work for the Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky games, as that one explicitly had you as a human partnered with a Grovyle in the past.

Granted, due to memory loss it's never explicitly stated that you and Grovyle could directly communicate in the same language in the past. Future. Future-past. Alternate universe. Timey-wimey ball of stuff.

Although Grovyle's dialogue implies it. But if my Grovyle just started talking to me with the voice of Dan Green, I wouldn't question it.

Last edited:
the theory I came up with when trying to plan for a fanfic that never got off the ground is that the Mystery Dungeon locations are another continent on the same world as the Pokémon world regions, for whatever reason they are undisturbed by humans though. Except for one in Mystery Dungeon 2 who idk went to go try to investigate the cause of time stopping and ended up with Grovyle?

Following on that theory, what if shit going wrong with the Pokemon World has to do with things that went wrong in the regular games? Darkrai gets to make its move on Temporal Tower when Cyrus had Dialga bound by the Red Chain?

Though that does raise the question of things like the Lake Trio, who are an explicitly unique that are seen in both Sinnoh and then in the Explorers' games in completely different locations.

No no no no no. The alternate universe mentioned by Zinnia is the original RSE and it has nothing to do with PMD. She mentions an Hoenn exactly like the one they live in and yet ever so different.

Their whole plan involved powering the Link Cable with Infinity Energy, which is basically a byproduct of the energy produced by the Keystones when activating Mega-Evolution. According to Zinnia, in this theoretical world Mega Evolution doesn't exist, the war 3,000 years ago never happened, the ultimate weapon was never built and thus they wouldn't have the means the save themselves which implies a meteor naver came by since the original Hoenn isn't a wasteland. And before someone implies there might be a 3rd Hoenn--there isn't. Nothing suggests such a thing exists, so we have world A, with no Dimentional Shifter and world B, where the Dimentional Shifter was destroyed. There isn't a world where the Meteor was actually warped somewhere else. Period. Anything else has no sense of logic behind it and is stading on baseless ground.

Last edited:
No no no no no. The alternate universe mentioned by Zinnia is the original RSE and it has nothing to do with PMD. She mentions an Hoenn exactly like the one they live in and yet ever so different.

Their whole plan involved powering the Link Cable with Infinity Energy, which is basically a byproduct of the energy produced by the Keystones when activating Mega-Evolution. According to Zinnia, in this theoretical world Mega Evolution doesn't exist, the war 3,000 years ago never happened, the ultimate weapon was never built and thus they wouldn't have the means the save themselves which implies a meteor naver came by since the original Hoenn isn't a wasteland. And before someone implies there might be a 3rd Hoenn--there isn't. Nothing suggests such a thing exists, so we have world A, with no Dimentional Shifter and world B, where the Dimentional Shifter was destroyed. There isn't a world where the Meteor was actually warped somewhere else. Period. Anything else has no sense of logic behind it and is stading on baseless ground.
You're half right. Zinnia was certianly referring to a world like the original RSE, or just the original R/S if you take Emerald as another splintered dimension.

My people know it. From generation to generation, we pass along the lore about the distortions in the world borne by the Mega Evolution mechanism. And about the existence of another world, which we have long observed to be just like this one and yet not the same... That's right. A Hoenn region that's almost exactly like this one we live in. Filled with Pokémon and people like us. A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown... A world where that war 3,000 years ago...never happened. A world where the ultimate weapon was never even built. And in that Hoenn of that world... What would happen if one day, out of the blue, a meteoroid appeared? What would happen to the people of that world, without the technology to destroy the meteoroid or the power to warp it away? ... Looks like it's beyond the power of your imagination.

...but given that Zinnia is Mary-sue McExposition pants, it's pretty dubious as to why she seems to know exactly what the Link Cable/Dimensional Shifter does, making this entire speech little more than conjecture on her part.

I mean, setting aside that Anime teaches us that ancient nigh extinct races are inherently better than you, how in the world does Zinnia know how the dimensional shifter works? She's been with Magma/Aqua this entire time trying to screw up the world to fix it. And how did dragon-hobo-girl get a Phd in astrophysics anyway?

I still feel Zinnia made up this excuse on the spot to justify why she helped Aqua/Magma unleash Kyogre/Groundon (because if not, then she endangered the world for nothing).

Guess what I'm trying to say is that Zinnia certainly thought the Dimensional Shifter would send the meteor to R/S/E, but there's nothing confirming she was right about that. So SPG141 's theory is still plausible.

Well, at least in another parallel universe where Zinnia wasn't such a huge doofy stinkbrain know-it-all jerkbutt plot stopping agency stealing backstabbing holier-than-thou lousy moral pushing

AYE.

Last edited:
What if Zinnia is a Faller, just like Anabel? I mean, she's so convinced that there are alternate universes, beyond what one would often think about that possibility...

Perhaps if something like that is hypothesized in a future game could make her look less unlikeable.

What if Zinnia is a Faller, just like Anabel? I mean, she's so convinced that there are alternate universes, beyond what one would often think about that possibility...

Perhaps if something like that is hypothesized in a future game could make her look less unlikeable.
It's not impossible, but based on her big stupid speech it seems like she's taking this assumption from ancient draconian lore.

That and being a "faller" is at odds with both her backstory with Aster and her own grandmother. I guess she could have fallen when young, or they all "fell" together, but that seems to be just confusing the issue even more, creating more questions than answers.

So here's a thing I wonder about: What makes for Genderless Legendaries?

In the case of things like Magneton, it's easily attributed to them not exhibiting characteristics that suggest sexual dimorphism (though reproduction by eggs might suggest they are hermaphroditic in the wild). But for legendaries, they have more organic appearances, and many of them are shown to exist with more than one specimen in the world. Sources like the anime or spin-offs suggest some like Lugia and the Bird Trio can breed or otherwise hatch from eggs, yet are labeled as genderless, while Latios and Latias, whom I recall no mention of being non-unique, are separate species treated as gender counterparts to each other, as siblings rather than breeding partners like Tauros/Miltank.

This makes me wonder then, are the Legendary Pokemon legitimately genderless, as in exempt from Biological traits that could distinguish them as such? Unique species like Reshiram/Zekrom are easily justified by being a single specimen species, meaning sexual distinction is meaningless since there's no point of comparison within their species.

In the case of things like Magneton, it's easily attributed to them not exhibiting characteristics that suggest sexual dimorphism (though reproduction by eggs might suggest they are hermaphroditic in the wild). But for legendaries, they have more organic appearances, and many of them are shown to exist with more than one specimen in the world. Sources like the anime or spin-offs suggest some like Lugia and the Bird Trio can breed or otherwise hatch from eggs, yet are labeled as genderless, while Latios and Latias, whom I recall no mention of being non-unique, are separate species treated as gender counterparts to each other, as siblings rather than breeding partners like Tauros/Miltank.

This makes me wonder then, are the Legendary Pokemon legitimately genderless, as in exempt from Biological traits that could distinguish them as such? Unique species like Reshiram/Zekrom are easily justified by being a single specimen species, meaning sexual distinction is meaningless since there's no point of comparison within their species.
I think it's more like "gender undetermined" than "no gender"... although that admittedly would raise more questions.

Going with the Magneton example... how come no one ever happened to pair two opposite-gendered Magneton by sheer chance?

A more mysterious case is... Heatran. The only legendary that is not only not-genderless, but can be of either gender.

I always assumed that genderless (for legendaries) just meant that the gender is unknown because scientists haven't studied them. I mean... it should be obvious that a species is made up of male and female Pokémon, but cases like Tauros and Jynx exist. Heatran was owned by the king in The Jewel of Life, so I thought that the scholars of its day determined the species to contain both genders or the gender differences by studying that Heatran. (Of course, the anime is hardly canon.) I can't think of an ingame answer though, but I would point out that Heatran hadn't been treated as a legendary in the anime at all. A random trainer owned one, one was owned by that king, and a special Heatran with eruption was traveling around at one point, and it was captured by a ranger as if it was just any other Pokémon. As for the games, I'm pretty sure that Heatran has been treated as a legendary in all instances that it appears.

Heatran was owned by the king in The Jewel of Life, so I thought that the scholars of its day determined the species to contain both genders or the gender differences by studying that Heatran. (Of course, the anime is hardly canon.) I can't think of an ingame answer though, but I would point out that Heatran hadn't been treated as a legendary in the anime at all. A random trainer owned one, one was owned by that king, and a special Heatran with eruption was traveling around at one point, and it was captured by a ranger as if it was just any other Pokémon. As for the games, I'm pretty sure that Heatran has been treated as a legendary in all instances that it appears.
That's what's been bugging me a lot since Heatran's introduction.

Is it really a legendary?

Sure, it has that 600 BST and it's a very rare Pokemon... but, as an example, Volcarona has a closer-to-Legendary treatment in the games, and in Gen V you encountered it the same way you encounter Heatran in all of its appearances - a single overworld Pokemon.

My personal headcanon is that among "Legendary" pokemon, certain ones are special in terms of gender/breeding/lore.

I argue that any pokemon can be considered legendary if it has appeared in a region's mythology, provided that it has some sort of unique ability/power/whatever. Obviously if a game said something like "oh yeah this Pelipper flew around the region putting out fires so it's our guardian" then it wouldn't really count.

The ones that are exceptional are those that satisfy the condition of being lore-relevant while also being rare. If I remember right, FR/LG's dex categorizes the legendary birds and Mewtwo as rare; a distinction that is separate from being legendary. In a sense, this means that Volcarona could be considered a legendary pokemon, but if you argue that a pokemon must be unable to breed successfully to be a legend, then Volc doesn't count. It's open to interpretation.

Because of this, I interpret "legendary" pokemon to have different categories in a sense. Some have genders, like Heatran and Lando-T, while others can breed even though they have no gender, such as Manaphy. While the games do not (at least I think) specify which "legendaries" are rare as opposed to being the only one in existence, I choose to consider the possibility of multiple existing and go from there. Shaymin is implied to be more than one, as with the legendary birds. It is also strongly implied that there are only one of Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, along with the Tapus. Some legends could feasibly be multiple (for example, the genie trio) but it would be very odd to have more than one Arceus, Kyogre, Zekrom, etc.

tl;dr you can argue a mon's status based on rarity, lore, breeding capability, abilities, etc.

On that note, Ultra Beasts, as well as Cosmogs, would be considered very rare in the normal world but more common in Ultra Space, and are incapable of breeding. They appear in lore, which is what most strongly argues their case as legendaries.

Also, what even is Ultra Space? Some obscure pocket dimension/void/region of space that contains life? Something in between the multiverses (like if you went from a mega universe to a non-mega universe but had to go through Ultra Space to get there)? Is it like the Alternate World where Giratina resides? Does Arceus' hall of origin fall into this category? I've tried to approach stuff like this through modern physics but they don't exactly apply. At some point I'd just call it a plot hole.

Legendaries just refuse to conform to your gender binaries.

WE REJECT YOUR LABELS, MAN!

Also a general warning about crossing the streams, try to keep theories relevant to the medium in discussion. The anime does change several things in adaptation, so just because we saw a baby Lugia there doesn't mean that's true for the games. And that's not getting into the various crazy things that have happened in the manga...

Zapmolcuno everyone.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Legendary Genders: My best guess why most Legendaries are genderless while we have a few who are is that genderless Legendaries don't have normal genders and therefore difficult to decipher as they probably refuse to breed in captivity and/or only breed at a certain time (and who knows when that is, since some Legendaries live for thousands of years it could be maybe at the very end of their lifespan they produce an offspring to replace them, and who knows if they need a partner or can do so asexually which wouldn't surprise me, especially if they're represented of an element/concept). Those with genders either have that gender be a trait more than reproductive purposes (Cresselia), identify itself as that gender (Eon Duo, Forces of Nature), or developed in a natural way which would give them genders (Heatran).

Note that these Legendaries having genders really only does one thing for them: make them able to use/affected by Attract. Otherwise it doesn't really matter and they might as well be genderless. Case and point, the only Pokemon that can breed is Manaphy and it's genderless (and produces Phione instead of Manaphy, so it's questionable whether its properly breeding).

I think perhaps some legendaries may be "considered genderless," as in they are so rare/mythical/etc. that there hasn't been enough research into them. Like most "pokemon experts or researchers" haven't seen a mewtwo, so how can they say if there are male and female, single-gender, or truly genderless of a legendary species. So instead they just use genderless as a kind of placeholder until they can discover them and find out for real. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I always took Manaphy's breeding Phione to be the result of captive breeding conditions. Some species of Sea Turtle, for example, determine the hatchling gender from the temperature at which the eggs are incubated, so Phione might be the result of "Manaphy" eggs being produced outside of their natural conditions deep in the ocean. This does have one stretch in that the Manaphy eggs that come to you have to already be fairly close to hatching to develop enough to be "securely" Manaphy hatchlings, but this could make sense with most "sources" being things like Ranger where they wash up on a beach and are sent to a trainer within a matter of hours/days depending on how you interpret time.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Though one more thing...Manaphy was said to be born in warm waters while Phione is said to be born in colder waters. How "warm" do we got to get to get Manaphy eggs then? Hoenn and Alola are apparently too cold since they produce Phione eggs as well.
Which is funny since Glacia went to Hoenn in order to train her Ice-types in a warm climate.

I think the warm/cold water thing was maybe just a theory as, at that time, the only example of Manaphy breeding in captivity was in Sinnoh which is a colder climate region. I think with the same happening in tropical regions like Hoenn and Alola that theory has been disproved.

If there was any additional factor to Manaphy breeding aside it being wild or in captivity I would maybe guess something more ocean related like at a certain depth (and pressure) and/or elements mixed with the water (like amount of salinity).

I admit, there are faults with using multiverse theory, but the multiverse isn't the only thing this theory has going for it. I'm talking about the meteor. Yes, I know, all of you are like "OMG you stupid kid its a copypaste save the world theory" but I see it as much more than that. The thing that sets this meteor apart from the others AND links it to ORAS is the presence of Deoxys. Yes, that's right. If anyone who had an old copy of PMD and played the meteor dungeon reached the end, they'd be confronted by the one and only Deoxys. Interesting, innit? Here we have 1. A link between the ORAS Meteor and the PMD meteor 2. Zinnia's warning about the link cable sending the meteor to destroy a defenseless world and 3. The means for another ORAS world to do that. The way this relies on the multiverse theory is that if the multiverse theory is confirmed, then there is BY DEFAULT another ORAS world where every variable is there except Zinnia. Without Zinnia to stop them, Devon would have used the link cable to send the meteor to another world, WHICH THEY CLEARLY STATED THEIR INTENT TO DO. This therefore causes the meteor, with deoxys hitching a ride on it, to appear in PMD's world. Also, I don't know if any of you saw PSMD's opening scene, but how does deoxys arrive at earth in that scene? He jumps off a meteor. Heading. Towards. Earth.

Didn't Deoxys show up in the original RSE on Birth Island anyway? Oh, and Birth Island is a recent island and is very near to the place of impact of the ORAS meteor so I would think that in RSE, the meteor did hit the earth but its impact wasn't as hard.

Didn't Deoxys show up in the original RSE on Birth Island anyway? Oh, and Birth Island is a recent island and is very near to the place of impact of the ORAS meteor so I would think that in RSE, the meteor did hit the earth but its impact wasn't as hard.
We don't see the meteorite hit the Earth in ORAS in the first place so perhaps there was an overestimation?

In ORAS, due to the actions of THOSE MEDDLING KIDS (a.k.a. main character) the meteor is destroyed before it can impact.

Yeah... no.

This would REALLY downplay the threat of the villain teams. Also we have villain teams ganging up on you, usually via Double Battles though ORAS had the under utilized Horde Trainer battles. Also there been times when they were going to gang up on you with more but conveniently you either had another trainer with you or some showed up that took the pressure off. If anything, the player is LUCKY they never just get ambushed by a ton of grunts, at least not by ones who decide to take turns for some reason.

Also, considering these are monsters that wield elemental power and can heal with a nap, villain teams also probably don't want to escalate things because if they attack the trainer then there's no reason for why the trainer shouldn't attack right back. As long as its only the Pokemon battling, no fragile-and-takes-long-time-to-heal human gets hurt. The goal is to first disarm your opponent of their Pokemon, and as I said in-story the villain team never gets a chance to do that to us so we don't know what would happen.

But breaking down your other points:
Passenger planes are pointless due to HM Fly (or Charizard Pokeride): We've seen airplanes in the game. Yes, Pokemon can fly you across a region but that's only maybe one or two people. And unless they're Legendary the Pokemon will probably get tired if made to fly across multiple regions, oceans, and wilderness. Airplanes would still exist merely to fly hundreds of people across the globe.
School Systems & Career Paths: At least what we see... as a Pokemon trainer... who would only be interested in Pokemon-related thing. Considering we still have scientists and doctors in this world there is still a proper education system. It's just we play a character who decides to go on a path to become a Pokemon Trainer, though that's only a small window of the playable characters life. Before and after the games we don't really know about how the playable character went about their education. Like for all we know Blue and Red could have gone to a university and maybe mastered in a Pokemon-related course which would still require them to know the basic stuff like math, language, etc.. And Sun & Moon showed us that many people who can't make it as a Pokemon Trainer just get a normal job like everyone else. Maybe they don't get all their education as a kid but that doesn't mean they never get an education or aren't expected to as an adult.
Weaponry: Hmm, I'm a bit iffy on that idea. Maybe they aren't as common as just using a Pokemon but saying no long ranged automatic weaponry doesn't exist is a stretch. Like we've seen they have cannons and gun-like devices. Once again, the "escalation" factor probably comes into play. Almost everyone has a Pokemon, I'm sure plenty are bulletproof or can at least take a bullet or two, so if someone with a gun holds up someone they're as good as saying "attack me with your Pokemon if I choose to fire". I imagine common weaponry would be trapping/disabling weapons or explosives/mass destruction weapons. Also there's weapons like knifes, clubs/batons, knuckledusters, etc. that may be used for self defense. And that's not getting in ancient times with weapons like swords which were probably used with human vs human combat and maybe defending off a wild Pokemon (times before the Poke Ball easily tamed a Pokemon).
They have no concept of total war: AZ would like to have a word with you. Just because the "weapons" are different doesn't mean there's no war. People have different ideology and will fight for what they believe. There are people who seek power and decide to get it from taking it from others. And then there are people to make a change and will fight against whoever they have to. War, war never changes.
Correction: AZ and the SUPER MEGA ULTRA ALPHA VALVE FLOWER SUPERWEAPON would like to have a word with you.

MOD EDIT: Double posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I and Integer Mova were discussing an interesting topic which I suggested we bring over here to see if others have any thought. It starts out more anime & event related but quickly goes back to the main series games. For simplicity sake I think this thread is best where it can be placed:

Integer Mova said:
We never get new Pokémon in the middle of a generaton except for forms (like Megas, potential regional variants, and so on), that means Marshadow is most likely the final Mythical in Alola. The 20th movie is a retelling of the Kanto arc for the 20th Anniversary of the anime, so the 21st movie for 2018 could involve the Cosmog line and Marshadow in some way. Based on the way Meloetta and Zygarde got their own arcs, it's possible that the Ultra Beasts may get that treatment in the late story. Does this indicate that this generation might be the shortest generation if neither SM sequels nor DP remakes exist in Gen 7?
Pikachu315111 said:
No clue, depends what GF does and what direction the Pokemon Company takes the anime. With Marshadow being the only remaining Gen VII Event Pokemon (Magearna being the first and Ash Hat Pikacu the second) then if Alola goes on for more than two seasons (which it probably will) they would have to do something else for either the next movie or the movie(s) after it.

One major factor is what they plan on doing with the game's story in the anime. Well Ash & co. (or more specifically, Lillie) get a Cosmog and we start following a trail resembling the games? Or will they do what they did in XY where they not only keep the mascot Legendaries in the movies but also the Ultra Beasts? I personally hope they do sort of follow the game's story at some point so we get Lillie getting Cosmog, have to face Team Skull and later the Aether Foundation, and then we get the whole thing with Lusamine and the Ultra Space. If they do that I do hope to see Lunala and Solgaleo in the anime (they could have it so that there's two Cosmogs, Lillie saves one but Lusamine has the other and the goal is to rescue the second one). But as for the Ultra Beasts, you'd obviously need Nihilego in the anime but they can keep the others for a movie. Especially if they release the rumored Stars and they include more Ultra Beasts (why not? We've gotten new forms, new Mega Evos, new moves, and new Abilities mid-gen; why not introduce new Pokemon as well especially in a generation that introduced a low number of new Pokemon?) or at least new forms.

Adding onto that, if they do Gen IV remakes than surely whatever additional stuff they add there (probably Mega Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus) would be given its own movie too.
Integer Mova said:
If Sinnoh gets both Megas and variants, then we could get more Unova/Kalos/Alola variants and Johto/Sinnoh/Unova Mega Evolutions.
Pikachu315111 said:
I think they should be careful what they do with the variant Pokemon. They would need to have a really good reason why this Pokemon adapted the way it did instead of remaining the same like other Pokemon from previous generations.

But I'm always for more Mega Evos.
Integer Mova said:
It would make a bit more sense for the later-gen mons than Johto and Hoenn, that's for sure.

I'm open for Megas as well, such as Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova mons. I wouldn't mind Slowking, Froslass, and several others that would find them useful. Slowbro, Glalie, Gardevoir, and Gallade got their own, so wynaut?

Apparently, Masuda wants to go back to make a sequel or remake of that doggone Kanto region. Will we get the prevos and evos introduced in subsequent regions and Kantonian variants of newer Pokémon? The world may never know.
Pikachu315111 said:
Honestly a "remake" of Kanto doesn't sound like a bad idea. We're in the Mega Timeline now so would be interesting to see how that has affected events of those games. Of course I would twist things up:

1. Instead of having it take place at the same time as Gen I, let it take place at the same time or a bit after Gen II.
2. You'll start in Kanto, but you'll also be able to go to Johto after (to get that region's story in the Mega Timeline).

Doing the above will allow them to change things so that we're not playing the same story again. They can include new locations as well as add in more Pokemon, including ones originally not native to Kanto but they could have something occur which had Pokemon from other gens start appearing there (maybe even having a few being Kantonian/Johtonian variant).

If anything maybe it'll help get the Gen I worship out of GameFreak's system and we can actually give other regions focus.
Integer Mova said:
What if the Kanto sequel was also a sequel to Sun and Moon?
Pikachu315111 said:
I would rather a sequel to Sun & Moon be in Alola. If you mean have it take place at the same time as Sun & Moon, I was thinking of that. More than 10 years have passed between Gen I and Gen VII so a lot of development could have happened in that time. Though then I thought the point of going back to Kanto would be to re-introduce its story back into the Mega Timeline thus why I came up with my alternative suggestion. However I wouldn't complain if they decide to have a new Kanto story which happen alongside Sun & Moon, I just ask they also include Johto (maybe have it so we go back and forth between the two, both Kanto and Johto Badges count toward the Indigo League so they could have us get 4 badges from each region).
So what do you think:
1. Does Marshadow being the only unreleased event Pokemon remaining in Gen VII indicate it might be a quick generation as there would either be no event Pokemon to promote for the 3rd Gen VII Movie? Or do you think GF will go a different direction with the movie or will the 3rd version/sequel/remake introduce a new Pokemon which would become the focus of the 3rd Gen VII Movie?
2. What are your thoughts on more variant Pokemon, especially ones that would be made for previous regions (even though they didn't exist prior in the original games)?
3. Do you think going back to the Kanto region is a good idea? Should it be a remake or sequel? If a sequel, should it happen at the same time as Gen II's story, a bit after, alongside Gen VII's story, or somewhere else in the timeline? Finally should it include Johto? If so, as a post game story or should it be a mixture of going back and forth between the two?

2. What are your thoughts on more variant Pokemon, especially ones that would be made for previous regions (even though they didn't exist prior in the original games)?
I think that's all but guaranteed, at least for the duration of this generation (much like how Megas were kinda dropped after last generation). That and more fan-favorites getting special Z-moves.

3. Do you think going back to the Kanto region is a good idea? Should it be a remake or sequel? If a sequel, should it happen at the same time as Gen II's story, a bit after, alongside Gen VII's story, or somewhere else in the timeline? Finally should it include Johto? If so, as a post game story or should it be a mixture of going back and forth between the two?
I'd put money on a Kanto-based game taking place after both the Red/Blue and Sun/Moon events where Lillie is your friendly rival. And if it could include Johto content, all the better. Maybe it's a unified region by this point, with 16 gyms and one Pokemon League?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So what do you think:
Does Marshadow being the only unreleased event Pokemon remaining in Gen VII indicate it might be a quick generation as there would either be no event Pokemon to promote for the 3rd Gen VII Movie? Or do you think GF will go a different direction with the movie or will the 3rd version/sequel/remake introduce a new Pokemon which would become the focus of the 3rd Gen VII Movie?
We're teetering on the edge of baseless speculation here, but I think there is enough data to stay on the safe side. At least for point 1) and 2).

I've been wondering about point 1) myself. Magearna was released almost immediately after the games themselves. Ash Hat Pikachu is an event series running until... October, is that right? That means, depending on how you look at it, that 2/3 of the event Pokémon are released within a year of the games. Or 7/8. And they've set a precedent for an unusually quick release schedule too. They appear to be holding off the event outside Japan for some (stupid) reason, meaning it will be a little more spaced out here, but that still doesn't fix the issue; it just means the Japanese will run out of event stuff faster than the rest of us. I guess they could be throwing out Floette-E in Gen VII too, but it's a stretch.

Another option would be to re-use event legendaries from earlier games. There's a whole crapton of them out there already by now, so nobody would bother if they released some of them again rather than adding new ones. This would also be possible without burying anything suspicious in the code for hackers to find.

There's also the remote possibility that they would break the old convention of not adding new Pokémon mid-generation. They've done it for moves and abilities already, so I guess nothing is impossible. The obvious thing would be to release more Ultra Beasts, since they're apparently the Hot New Thing and their sudden appearance out of nowhere would be completely in line with their lore. But these would have to come after Marshadow in the National Dex, or the Dex order would have to be changed completely, so I'd say it's unlikely that they would go for that solution.

As for point 2), I think more Variant Pokémon is a rather natural way to proceed. It adds new designs, sort of, without bloating the Pokédex. GameFreak already set themselves up for something similar in Mega Evolutions, but dropped that concept like a hot potato as soon as the generation shifted, so it could be that they'd throw regional variants under the bus at first opportunity too. Or they could be thinking that regional variants are a better way to execute the concept of revitalizing old lines, what do I know. Either way, I wouldn't mind them adding regional variants of more old Pokémon. They haven't done a bang of a job for it so far from a competitive standpoint, but they could improve in the future.

And 3)... It's a little wishlist-y, but I guess some general assumptions could be stated anyway. And that is that Kanto is outdated as heck. It's designed with the limitations of the GameBoy in mind. That means a completely rigid grid system, a camera locked to a single angle, extremely limited tilesets, no climate variation, and rather monotonous dungeons. To bring Kanto up to par would necessitate a lot of re-imagining. Town layouts are completely wonky and would have to be redone. The buildings are identical all over the region, the routes are often too cramped, and the detail level of things in general is waaaaay lower than what we've grown used to since Gen IV or so. The designers would basically have two choices: Accept an outdated-looking Kanto, or add details that weren't there before. This would radically change the atmosphere of certain places (for instance Cinnabar Island, which in its latest iteration is a handful of buildings on a concrete slab in the ocean). It wouldn't be the Kanto we're used to. There would be controversy.

Personally, I'd let the designers loose completely, and build a Kanto experience from scratch. Keep the basic layout, redesign everything else. Let nothing be sacred, the time of Gen I Kanto has passed (twice) and is preserved for posterity in the Gen I (and to some extent III) games, so no need to recreate it faithfully once again. I haven't worked out the details of everything, but elaborating here would be against the wishlisting rule anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)