SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Both of them are spelled differently than what the Psychic-type is called in Japan (which is why in English we have both a Type and Move that's the same name, because in Japan they're actually named differently and the English version just simplified things).
You forgot that we also have a trainer class named Psychic, which again has a different name in Japan.
Type: エスパー Esper
Move: サイコキネシス Psychokinesis
Trainer: サイキッカー Psychicer (I guess that's a word? A runner runs, a baker bakes, and a psychicer psychics.)

Wouldn't it make more sense if the Japanese Ice Badge was localized as the Freeze Badge to avoid confusion later? Unless Pokemon doesn't plan that much ahead, that is.
These badges are years apart, they would have absolutely no idea what their next set of badges would even be, much less what they'd be named.

To put it like that, in general, I don't think planning ahead is one of Pokémon's stronger suits.
I think there is one (1) case where they actively planned ahead and that was their models. Which honestly? Huge success
Yeah yeah whatever, people want them to be so much mroe active & involved or look better and SWSH clearly had some ISSUES. They still got to use those models unaltered (beyond texture changes) in XY, ORAS, SM, USUM, Go & Let's Go. And I am reasonably sure they also get to use the same models for misc spin offs (though they alter them as needed). And SWSH for the oens that are there, theyre' still the same models.

For a series with this many critters on a frequently released time frame they took a shot at future proofing the models and it really did more or less work. SWSH clearly had something break or whatever, requiring the touch up here & there, they're still getting use out of them and imo the next texture work makes them look fine still. Can probably use those for at LEAST another new game before they have to pace back & forth on if they have to make new ones

Was going to post this in reply to DrPumpkinz recent annoyances thread but it fits more here i guess

The 6 galarian evolutions are all a bit odd. Evolutoins have, obviously, 99% of the time been quite similar of course but this time feels like they leaned into it more. The names are plays on either their base for or their "alternate" evolution (I think perrserker IS meant ot be a play on persion, berserker and purr), their cries are remixed versions of their pre-evolved cries and with the exception of like Obstagoon & Runerigus they're all very...very similar. Perserker on its own could have passed for a Galarian Meowth honestly. Also mysteriously all of them are labeled Galarian _______ in the TCG.

There's enough about them to keep separated and feel like their own Pokemon, of course. And none of this is bad, really? I adore Sirfetch'd & Cursola in particular and the other 4 are very fun designs... but there's a different feel to them than, say, Yanma into Yanmega or even Grimer into Muk if that makes sense? Like there was a purposely different design sense that went into them.

Perhaps its just me.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I adore Sirfetch'd & Cursola in particular and the other 4 are very fun designs... but there's a different feel to them than, say, Yanma into Yanmega or even Grimer into Muk if that makes sense? Like there was a purposely different design sense that went into them.
Oh no, you're right. If I had to hazard a guess, it probably would have to do with how they were conceptualized. I think the Galarian Formes were planned out with their region exclusive evolution in mind. In addition to noting the changes they would do to the base forms, they wrote down/sketched the aspects about the evolution for the redesign would be like.

Using your examples (as well as an extent of it), this is different from:
  • Grimer into Muk: Grimer & Muk debut in the same generation, they are original concepts & designs with no basis from previous designs. And before you say "no duh, they're Gen I", what I'm saying goes for any evolution family that debut in a generation. Remoraid into Octillery, Whismur into Exploud, Burmy into Wormadam/Mothim, Frillish into Jelliscent, Espurr into Meowstic, Type: Null into Silvally, & Sinistea into Polteagiest. And yes, I know we have some resources that said during the planning step some designs are changed around and given/removed an evolution stage. However that doesn't change these Pokemon are still original designs and have an evolution which is you could say seen as the obvious/natural progression in this creatures life cycle.
  • Yanma into Yanmega & Munchlax into Snorlax: Now this is a retroactive addition. The base form already exists, now they're basing an evolution or pre-evolution onto what has been already established. How is this different from then doing this above during development changes? Because any changes they make during development to one stage of the evolution they can adjust design aspects of the other stages so it can keep in-line with the Pokemon concept, therefore giving more flexibility. However that can't be done here, the base form is absolute so if the artist goes out-of-line with the additional stage it's going to be obvious. It's less flexible and I can see maybe why GF has mostly stopped doing the cross gen evos because of this, especially after their last batch of cross evos in Gen IV maybe were showing how the artists were struggling with this balance and made some questionable decisions. If they were allowed to go back and change the design of the base form I imagined they would instead of having to force themselves to keep somewhat in-line with what has been established.
  • Koffing into Galarian Weezing: Now we get into some galaxy brain bit. The Regional Variants which have the base basic stage evolve into the alternate evolution stage is both somewhat similar but very different to adding a new evolution onto an established design. Because, unlike having to create a completely new creature, they're taking a previous existing creature and changing aspects about the design. In a way this limitation actually allows for more creative ideas as they're now purposely averting what's supposed to be the natural evolution thus can say make a ball of pollution now a pollution purifier, a tree into a TALL tree, lean into a dex making a bone wielder into a possessed dancer, etc.. I do believe that making Regional Variants is more fun than making a new evolution for the GF staff because of this.
  • Alolan Grimer into Alolan Muk: Of course, there are some Regional Variants where the entire evolution family gets converted. This is more akin to where we started with the creation of a completely original creature... except also not as it's being based off a base form. However what makes this different from an existing base form evolving into an alternate evolution form is that whatever changes they make to the alternate evolution they can now also make with the alternate base form! It's like the problem they had with creating a new evolution stage has been solved... though they still need to work within the limits of the base design. They can now add additional details and have the prevo show off where this additional detail sprouted from, but they can't completely change the body shape.
  • Galarian Farfetch'd into Sirfetch'd & Galarian Meowth into Purrserker: And now we've come full circle. What I said above about the problem they had with creating a new evolution stage being solved, it's done so fully here! Not only can they create a new evolution stage but they can now also change the base form so that it flowed more naturally into the new evolution stage! Heck, they could even create what would have otherwise been a branched evolution in past gens into an exclusive Variant evolution. You bet if Bellossom, Politoed, & Gallade was made today they'd be Regional Evolutions and behind them would be a Johtoian Gloom, Johtoian Poliwhirl, and Sinnohian Kirlia. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the Sinnoh cross gen evolutions would do the same: Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, Mamoswine, & Dusknoir all look like they wouldn't argue with a Sinnohian variant of their prevos (and if they had they'd also look different, perhaps even better as they wouldn't have to have design aspects regressed to keep in-line).

Though it is interesting the regional evolutions are also marked as "Galarian _____" in the TCG. On one hand I could see it done in order to make it clearer you can't use any old Farfetch'd into Sirfetch'd it needs to be Galarian Farfetch'd as this is Galarian Sirfetch'd. Though it could also be that even the Pokemon Company considers this idea a bit out there (aka outside comfort zones) that they themselves don't want to call it a completely new species but somehow label it as a variation/alternative despite it not being.

Last edited:
Though it is interesting the regional evolutions are also marked as "Galarian _____" in the TCG. On one hand I could see it done in order to make it clearer you can't use any old Farfetch'd into Sirfetch'd it needs to be Galarian Farfetch'd as this is Galarian Sirfetch'd. Though it could also be that even the Pokemon Company considers this idea a bit out there (aka outside comfort zones) that they themselves don't want to call it a completely new species but somehow label it as a variation/alternative despite it not being.
I suspect this is because they want to keep support for Galarian Pokemon (whenever that comes...) intact even after they evolve. If the TCG naming convention was to have "Galarian Farfetch'd" and plain "Sirfetch'd" it would be weird if there were a Stadium card that gave a +30 damage boost to Pokemon with "Galarian" in their name...as that would benefit Galarian Farfetch'd but Sirfetch'd would strangely lose that advantage on evolving.

Last edited:
What's the deal with graveyard towers? Pokemon Tower in Kanto, Mt. Pyre in Hoenn, Lost Tower for Sinnoh, and Celestial Tower for Unova. Mt. Pyre partly gets a pass because it was originally a natural structure, but the logistics of a graveyard tower seem questionable. You would need a lot of space between the ceiling of one level and the floor of the one above in order to fit the bodies, and nearly all the floors are tiled, so they would need to be re-tiled every time someone gets buried. I'm going to assume that the man-made ones have a big layer or dirt in between their levels, but Mt. Pyre would be made from solid rock, and digging a grave with a jackhammer seems like a cave-in waiting to happen.

Do buildings like this exist in the real world?

Here's something I've noticed; Someone at GameFreak (maybe Tajiri himself) must have a soft spot for the Rhyhorn family. Why, you may ask?

Because of all Pokemon, the Rhyhorn family is the only one that is obtainable in every region of the main Pokemon games without the need for a transfer (or Dual-Slot mode for DPPt). In fact, there are only two games in which it is impossible to obtain Rhyhorn or Rhydon without trading; Colosseum and Black, and the latter is a consequence of Rhyhorn being exclusive to White Forest.

I suppose being the first Pokemon ever conceived of has its perks.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's a bit of a theory that just popped into my head. I'm probably not the first person to think of this, and it might have been put forth elsewhere in the thread, but here goes:

Pokémon Mansion was the original Cerulean Cave.

Think about it for a second: why is this mansion on Cinnabar Island? Okay, it might have some connection to the research lab in the town, but there's really nothing that ties either to the island. Pokémon Mansion contains all the information about Mewtwo's lore, however, and as you go deeper into the mansion you learn more about Mewtwo. It has a labyrinthine, deep layout stretching across four floors, with lots of wild Pokémon, items, and some trainers. The gimmick with the hidden switches in statues, drops off verandas, and the general size of the place makes it one of the more difficult dungeons to navigate in the game (although thankfully not requiring any HMs - where were the people who designed this place when Gen IV was made?). There are no healing spots either (except in LGPE) and no shortcuts. But the only reason you're sent into this huge and difficult dungeon is to retrieve a key so you can challenge a Gym.

What if Pokémon Mansion was originally meant to be the game's postgame dungeon, with Mewtwo waiting at the end? It would be locked off until you beat the Champion, being unsafe to enter. Lore-wise, it has everything to do with Mewtwo. In the game, it is described as a destroyed mansion once belonging to a scientist, but it could easily have been a destroyed lab instead.

Instead, Cerulean Cave gets the distinction of being Mewtwo's hiding place. But why would it hide in a cave? And what's up with the encounter tables for this cave? OK, it has Golbat and Graveler, but also distinctly non-cave Pokémon such as Magneton, Raichu, Dodrio, Venomoth, Chansey, and Weepinbell. I guess the idea is that Mewtwo attracts these strong Pokémon, but it would make more sense for them to roam a decrepit laboratory ruin than a deep, dark cave.

So, why was Pokémon Mansion put on Cinnabar, and what used to be there? Well, what is Cinnabar Island famous for? Its volcano, of course. It is prominently featured in the Anime, erupts and destroys the town in Gen II, but is nowhere to be seen in Gen I. I think the island was originally supposed to feature a volcano, and you had to traverse it before you could challenge the Gym. The encounter tables for Pokémon Mansion appears to support this: the place is full of Fire-types and the Koffing family (and Rattata and Grimer, but those may have been added after the purpose of the Mansion was changed). It's even the only place you can find Magmar. Sure, the Mansion is supposed to be burnt out, but Magmar's Pokédex entries say nothing about residing in burnt-out buildings. Granted, it is noted for its ability to burn things, and may very well provide a reason for why the Mansion was burned down, but its natural habitats is in volcanoes.

Another piece of information strengthening the theory: Moltres. At the moment, it is sort-of awkwardly dumped in a corner of a room in Victory Road. The other birds were given locations in the depths of optional caves you can access as soon as you get Surf, but Moltres is in a room next to a Trainer halfway through Victory Road. OK, in the Anime it is said to be the protector of the Pokémon League, serving as an Olympic flame of sorts, but it would have made more sense for it to lurk in the optional depths of the Cinnabar volcano. That would have made it available at the same point in the game as the other two birds, in a thematic dungeon filled with other Fire-types. Presumably you would have to climb to the peak of the volcano to challenge Cinnabar Gym, while Moltres would reside in its depths. Or vice versa, I guess: in the Anime, the Gym is in a lava chamber, while Moltres is, after all, a bird.

So what happened? I guess the volcano got scrapped for some reason, possibly because it was too similar to Articuno's hiding spot, or because they didn't have the assets required to make a volcano setting realistic enough to suspend disbelief (with water being the only way to imply running lava), or because they couldn't make the volcano look good enough on the overworld map. This led to the appropriation of Mewtwo's destroyed lab as a dungeon for Cinnabar, with Mewtwo getting a cave for its hideout instead. Moltres was moved to Victory Road for whatever reason, possibly to make players less likely to stumble upon it unprepared while exploring a story-mandated dungeon.

Granted, this is just a theory, but I think all the pieces fit: Mewtwo being in the destroyed lab containing all its lore, Cinnabar getting a dungeon more appropriate to its theme, and Moltres originally having a more comparable location to the other two birds. What do you think?

Honestly, that theory of yours sounds spot-on to me.

I never really thought too much about why Mewtwo was in some random cave on the mainland, or why Moltres didn't have its own mini-dungeon...but you've tied everything neatly together in a way I never thought possible.

It DOES make me wonder why Mewtwo would stick around in the lab after it's been destroyed, though.
Does Mewtwo not know anywhere else to go? And are the residents of Cinnabar fine with having such a dangerous Pokemon hiding there?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It DOES make me wonder why Mewtwo would stick around in the lab after it's been destroyed, though.
Does Mewtwo not know anywhere else to go? And are the residents of Cinnabar fine with having such a dangerous Pokemon hiding there?
I think the Pokémon Mansion was meant to be where Cerulean Cave is today: a locked mansion on the outskirts of one of the first cities you pass through. Maybe there would be a guy outside telling you the place is locked off, or maybe the door would just be locked until you got the key from Prof. Oak after beating the Elite Four. On Cinnabar, the volcano would take its place.

As for why Mewtwo would be there ... I suppose it fits just as well as any other place. It might as well claim the mansion for itself after all the scientists were chased out. It's not like it would be more at home in a cave, or a forest, or for that matter the Power Plant. Given the diverse set of Pokémon in its area, a destroyed mansion would be a better habitat than a damp, dark cave.

From prototype stuff and also just looking at hte internal map list I think the Pokemon Mansion was always meant to be approximately where it was

Silph Co, of all things, seems to have been the original idea for the post-game dungeon (a tower full of every trainer type & boss in the game with a 1% chance of encoutnering Mewtwo at the end in the wildd encounters) depending on the timing you look at it (earlier on it was the location of the League!). And sadly doesnt seem like a volcano was planned

I think the reason it's not the home of Mewtwo is because its the origin. It's meant to be foreshadowign to the super cool rare Pokemon you can only find in the post game. You find this cool burned down mansion that's also a lab and you find all this Lore about a mysterious experimental pokemon ohhh aaaahhh what's up with THAT [beats the game, goes to the new dungeon, sees mewtwo] oh shit!!

While we're on the subject of gen 1 dungeons though

Power Plant's kind of interesting, isn't it? It's a bit out of the way and been abandoned for years (japanese name was always Abandoned Power Plant), but we're never told why. The other "building" dungeons have their own backstory. Rocket took over Silph Co to steal Master Ball plans; Rocket was actively messing with Mr Fuji and the wild pokemon of the tower upsetting everything; Mewtwo destroyed the Pokemon Mansion. And of course, there's the Rocket Hideout.

But the power plant never gets any exposition, surprisingly. FRLG just had this
A power plant that was abandoned years ago, though some of the machines still work.
Most probably explanation is they jsut didn't need it anymore and the region is (off screen, through other means) powering itself more efficiently until gen 2, where they need the extra power supply for things like the Magnet Train & Radio Tower.

I suppose part of this just comes from the series' usual conservation of detail, sort of like we talked about in the other thread about pokemon government, but it is a little surprising no NPC goes "yeah we closed it a while back because <we got a better power plant/we didnt need it>". Not even any Cool Lore (TM) in the form of wayward journals!

While we're on the subject of gen 1 dungeons though

Power Plant's kind of interesting, isn't it? It's a bit out of the way and been abandoned for years (japanese name was always Abandoned Power Plant), but we're never told why. The other "building" dungeons have their own backstory. Rocket took over Silph Co to steal Master Ball plans; Rocket was actively messing with Mr Fuji and the wild pokemon of the tower upsetting everything; Mewtwo destroyed the Pokemon Mansion. And of course, there's the Rocket Hideout.

But the power plant never gets any exposition, surprisingly. FRLG just had this

Most probably explanation is they jsut didn't need it anymore and the region is (off screen, through other means) powering itself more efficiently until gen 2, where they need the extra power supply for things like the Magnet Train & Radio Tower.

I suppose part of this just comes from the series' usual conservation of detail, sort of like we talked about in the other thread about pokemon government, but it is a little surprising no NPC goes "yeah we closed it a while back because <we got a better power plant/we didnt need it>". Not even any Cool Lore (TM) in the form of wayward journals!
Could it be that the reason why it's abandoned is because Zapdos came to roost and they decided it wasn't worth the risk?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
... or perhaps the choice was just made very early, while they were still on the whiteboard-and-paper-sketches stage of development. Gotta keep the headcanon intact.
I mean, we were told the Sevii Islands were cut out and I don't think any evidence in prototypes have been found where they were implemented.

As you suggested, they probably couldn't make a convincing volcano but needed some dungeon there. Now was it they moved the Mansion there? Who knows. Maybe the Mansion always was planned to be there (Blaine is a scientist and friends with Fuji, a connection the Manga ran with by linking Blaine with Mewtwo) and they just chopped off where the volcano was going to be (or was removed early enough they were just able to make the map without needing to fine room for the volcano). With the Mansion now used as the required dungeon to get into the Gym they moved Mewtwo to a new quickly thrown together dungeon (so quick they likely accidentally added Raichu, an Evo Stone evolution). Moltres was moved to Victory Road cause seemed like a place it would be.

I mean, we were told the Sevii Islands were cut out and I don't think any evidence in prototypes have been found where they were implemented.
On one of the prototype maps there is a conspicious string of 7 land masses on what used to bte hte route between Pallet & Cinnabar that might have been place holders for would-be sevii islands

Though more likely to me is the idea of the sevii islands were planned originally but never got to the implementation phase. And if they were, it was very likely that they would have been singificantly lesser than what FRLG did.

As you suggested, they probably couldn't make a convincing volcano but needed some dungeon there. Now was it they moved the Mansion there? Who knows. Maybe the Mansion always was planned to be there (Blaine is a scientist and friends with Fuji, a connection the Manga ran with by linking Blaine with Mewtwo) and they just chopped off where the volcano was going to be (or was removed early enough they were just able to make the map without needing to fine room for the volcano). With the Mansion now used as the required dungeon to get into the Gym they moved Mewtwo to a new quickly thrown together dungeon (so quick they likely accidentally added Raichu, an Evo Stone evolution). Moltres was moved to Victory Road cause seemed like a place it would be.
I do not believe Raichu was an accident, Wiggltuff is also there.
I mean you both ave brought up how "uncave-like" the selection is but look at the sheer variety of pokemon. There are 15 different pokemon on land and the only unevolved one in the set is Kadabra. I think the intent of the Cerulean Cave was to just have a ton of different, strong (...to varying degrees) evolved Pokemon. The only "weak" Pokemon is in the water, because they wanted to continue support for the Old Rod (Magikarp) & good rod (poliwag & goldeen); the super rod encounters are Seaking, Seadra, Slowbro and Kingler

Please note that no other dungeon in the game has this many type of wild Pokemon outside of the Safari Zone which is clearly a special case.

Which makes perfect sense as a post game dungeon, personally. Throw sense to the curb and all that, and count your blessings this thing wasn't inexplicably a retread to all the prior dungeons for 12 floors (something they so very clearly wanted to do for the pokemon league to begin with and probably the silph co as a post game dungeon idea)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So I've recently picked up a formerly abandoned playthrough of White, and I noticed something a bit odd while traversing through Route 6.

At the Season Research Lab the rightmost NPC says something to the effect of "Different kinds of Pokemon can change their form based on the season. Could this be a form of evolution?" Now the latter thing is nothing notable, probably just typical in-world NPC speculation, but I find the emphasis/implication that multiple Pokemon have seasonal form changes interesting because as we know the only ones capable of this are Deerling and Sawsbuck with nothing else introduced since Gen 5 as the seasons mechanic didn't appear again. Just as we recently found out via leaks that there were supposed to be far more radical gender differences for multiple Pokemon in DP, is it possible this NPC dialogue is a glossed-over relic of a point in development where way more Pokemon had seasonal form changes that wasn't scrubbed properly when the idea was dropped? If so, what mons may have had these forms?

So I've recently picked up a formerly abandoned playthrough of White, and I noticed something a bit odd while traversing through Route 6.

At the Season Research Lab the rightmost NPC says something to the effect of "Different kinds of Pokemon can change their form based on the season. Could this be a form of evolution?" Now the latter thing is nothing notable, probably just typical in-world NPC speculation, but I find the emphasis/implication that multiple Pokemon have seasonal form changes interesting because as we know the only ones capable of this are Deerling and Sawsbuck with nothing else introduced since Gen 5 as the seasons mechanic didn't appear again. Just as we recently found out via leaks that there were supposed to be far more radical gender differences for multiple Pokemon in DP, is it possible this NPC dialogue is a glossed-over relic of a point in development where way more Pokemon had seasonal form changes that wasn't scrubbed properly when the idea was dropped? If so, what mons may have had these forms?
I have a feeling seasons were supposed to be much bigger than they ended up being, which made it all the more stark when they were depressingly (but predictably) scrapped in Gen VI.

Now Pokemon drops features all the time, and tweaks stuff to compensate (Sylveon evolving differently in SwSh is the example that comes to mind.
It was really obvious to me that Pokemon Amie was never going to be a permanent feature, for example, which made it all the more dumb they tied Sylveon's evolution to it in the first place). But my theory is that they intended seasons to be a much more pivotal feature and then dialled it back once it became apparent how difficult it would be to work with. The above quote aside, they aren't discussed all that much in-game by NPCs and their effects are fairly easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

As we know seasons only ended up affecting Pokemon appearance rates and the layouts of certain areas, but I suspect that the original plan was to have seasons affect multiple Pokemon (maybe some old ones too, or just the new ones?) given that Ken Sugimori acknowledged that doing so would have been too hard: "However, having seasons affect every Pokemon would be too difficult, so we decided to use it on just one or two."

(quote comes from http://lavacutcontent.com/ken-sugimori-nintendo-dream-2/ for anyone interested, it's a great site.)

I wonder if some Pokemon were designed to only evolve during certain seasons, or if Deerling and Sawsbuck were actually intended to change their types, being Normal/Ice in winter, Normal/Fire in summer, Normal/Ground in autumn, and the standard Normal/Grass in Spring which is why that's the default form. I can only speculate and none of this is based on anything more than that.

And I don't think they were popular at the time, or at least I don't remember them being. The altered Pokemon distributions made it impossible to catch certain Pokemon - Game Freak actually distributed a Cubchoo when BW were released because if you didn't change your clock you couldn't otherwise get one for months.

So that could be part of why they got binned. That or it's just Game Freak giving with one hand and taking with another like always.

Altered season distirbutions were actually very rare, too.
I looked into that innnn...one of the other threads around here, I cant remember which one. We were talking about ice types. Anyway point is very few seasons actually affected the encounter ratios and the ones that did were primarily Winter so the ice types could be added or made more common.
And furthermore, the routes where that encounter shuffling happened were pretty rare themselves. Most didn't do anything, regardless of season, and iirc many didnt get aesthetic changes.

Incidentally Cubchoo is available year-round in Twist Mountain, it's just at its most common in Winter (45% as opposed to Spring/Autumn's 10% and Summer's 4%)

Honestly as far as cut things go it really wasn't surprising. As the games grow in complexity and the move to 3D, you have to account for more and more things that need changing and how it affects that space.

e: If this is anything it's another example of GameFreak having lofty ideals and dealing with those consequences. At least here, it was just pulling back and the product didn't really suffer or make it super glaring or anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)