National Dex General Information and Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that Lele has spiked in usage this past month. Is Chansey a sufficient check to choice specs sets? It has a chance of being 2HKOed by psyshock, but it can be hard to fit a more dedicated check on a team. On any given team, I often find myself trying to squeeze checks to specs Lele, cm Magearna, and Zard Y in the same slot, which is really difficult (only Delphox and possibly Chansey come to mind). These are the Pokemon my teams are usually weak to by the time I have 5 other members picked.

I've noticed that Lele has spiked in usage this past month. Is Chansey a sufficient check to choice specs sets? It has a chance of being 2HKOed by psyshock, but it can be hard to fit a more dedicated check on a team. On any given team, I often find myself trying to squeeze checks to specs Lele, cm Magearna, and Zard Y in the same slot, which is really difficult (only Delphox and possibly Chansey come to mind). These are the Pokemon my teams are usually weak to by the time I have 5 other members picked.
Considering they can predict Chansey switching in, not exactly. If your team is weak to Lele, Zard Y(who's pretty bad, but should definitely still be accounted for), and Mage, consider a defensive core like Corviknight + Toxapex (pretty similar to last gen's CelePex core) which sufficiently deals with these mons. If an offensive teammate is needed, consider Megagross, who deals massive damage to Mage with EQ and kills Lele and Zard Y with Meteor Mash and TPunch respectively.

Considering they can predict Chansey switching in, not exactly. If your team is weak to Lele, Zard Y(who's pretty bad, but should definitely still be accounted for), and Mage, consider a defensive core like Corviknight + Toxapex (pretty similar to last gen's CelePex core) which sufficiently deals with these mons. If an offensive teammate is needed, consider Megagross, who deals massive damage to Mage with EQ and kills Lele and Zard Y with Meteor Mash and TPunch respectively.
Doesn't cm Magearna typically use thunderbolt and 252 special attack? That would make Toxapex a non-check.

I often use Corviknight, but I like to physically defensive sets for Mega Mawile, Kartana, and SDSR Lando/Garchomp. I feel like using a more specially defensive spread would sacrifice more than it would gain. Perhaps it would come to that (not having checks to several threats in order to have a check to Lele) if I don't want to use an arguably unviable Pokemon (i.e Delphox).

Doesn't cm Magearna typically use thunderbolt and 252 special attack? That would make Toxapex a non-check.

I often use Corviknight, but I like to physically defensive sets for Mega Mawile, Kartana, and SDSR Lando/Garchomp. I feel like using a more specially defensive spread would sacrifice more than it would gain. Perhaps it would come to that (not having checks to several threats in order to have a check to Lele) if I don't want to use an arguably unviable Pokemon (i.e Delphox).
CM Magearna can't really break Pex, considering it needs +1 to even 2HKO SpD variants with Tbolt and to OHKO with Gigavolt Havoc, which Pex makes difficult with Haze. Corv ain't exactly checking MMaw(whose also kinda bad rn too) regardless, but I agree that physical investment can be missed for the other mons, though if Kartana, Chomp, and Lando are also an issue, they can be left to something like Scarf Protean Greninja if they're an issue for your team, though it might not fit your playstyle if you're not playing BO or Balance.

CM Magearna can't really break Pex, considering it needs +1 to even 2HKO SpD variants with Tbolt and to OHKO with Gigavolt Havoc, which Pex makes difficult with Haze. Corv ain't exactly checking MMaw(whose also kinda bad rn too) regardless, but I agree that physical investment can be missed for the other mons, though if Kartana, Chomp, and Lando are also an issue, they can be left to something like Scarf Protean Greninja if they're an issue for your team, though it might not fit your playstyle if you're not playing BO or Balance.
I just play stall lol, so Greninja is definitely not an option. Toxapex, even with max SpD and black sludge, has a slight chance to be 2HKOed by +1 thunderbolt into +0 thunderbolt. Not to mention, you're just repeatedly clicking haze and recover at that point, begging for a crit or paralysis. Perhaps something will strike me soon, or maybe I'll be happy with Delphox and/or Chansey.

By the way, Corviknight has proven a great check to Maw for me. 32 EVs in speed to outspeed Maw tends to be, with max hp and defense. I use iron defense to pace with swords dance. Roosting helps with thunder punch. Iron defense also helps with Garchomp and Lando.

I just play stall lol, so Greninja is definitely not an option. Toxapex, even with max SpD and black sludge, has a slight chance to be 2HKOed by +1 thunderbolt into +0 thunderbolt. Not to mention, you're just repeatedly clicking haze and recover at that point, begging for a crit or paralysis. Perhaps something will strike me soon, or maybe I'll be happy with Delphox and/or Chansey.

By the way, Corviknight has proven a great check to Maw for me. 32 EVs in speed to outspeed Maw tends to be, with max hp and defense. I use iron defense to pace with swords dance. Roosting helps with thunder punch. Iron defense also helps with Garchomp and Lando.
If you're playing stall, then you should always be running Chansey, especially since a good stall team should never be weak to Zard Y and non CM+Pain Split Mage, regardless of innovations. If you wanna check both Lele and physical attackers like Kartana with Corv, you could consider an SpD set with Iron Defense to better check Lele since max SpD can't get 2HKOED by Specs HP Fire after Stealth Rock iirc while still dealing with Chomp and Kartana, but it's kinda gimmicky and that's a pretty shaky check to MMaw when considering stuff like hax through critical hits or paralysis from TPunch, not to mention MMaw can hit you with a SubPunch set when you attempt to Roost in its face. People tried experimenting with a similar Skarmory set last gen, and it ended being kinda inconsistent as a check to it.

If you're playing stall, then you should always be running Chansey, especially since a good stall team should never be weak to Zard Y and non CM+Pain Split Mage, regardless of innovations. If you wanna check both Lele and physical attackers like Kartana with Corv, you could consider an SpD set with Iron Defense to better check Lele since max SpD can't get 2HKOED by Specs HP Fire after Stealth Rock iirc while still dealing with Chomp and Kartana, but it's kinda gimmicky and that's a pretty shaky check to MMaw when considering stuff like hax through critical hits or paralysis from TPunch, not to mention MMaw can hit you with a SubPunch set when you attempt to Roost in its face. People tried experimenting with a similar Skarmory set last gen, and it ended being kinda inconsistent as a check to it.
Well, yeah, without defensive investment, it is a shaky check to Maw, so a SpD set can't do that. But unlike Skarmory, Corviknight can actually threaten Maw without using rocky helmet. This is because body press, with enough defense boosts, is a nuke. You can also opt to pp stall if you can't fit body press (e.g you need a move for Lele), but then you're risking hax even more.

Well, yeah, without defensive investment, it is a shaky check to Maw, so a SpD set can't do that. But unlike Skarmory, Corviknight can actually threaten Maw without using rocky helmet. This is because body press, with enough defense boosts, is a nuke. You can also opt to pp stall if you can't fit body press (e.g you need a move for Lele), but then you're risking hax even more.
I was referring to the fact that even if you run physical defense, you're still at risk of getting blown away by crits. The Skarm set never used Rocky Helmet, it used Iron Defense + Counter, which is a bit better than relying on Body Press of all things to deal damage after you set up. Mmaw will still 2HKO you with TPunch after you both boost up all the way, and that's the best case scenario, considering Mawile will probably have already setup an SD in most scenarios. Corv can't even guarentee a kill with BP until you're at +6. There's a reason why MMaw always threatened stall last gen, regardless if you were running Skarmory/Mega Aggron/Gliscor or not.

Ex: +6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 216-256 (54 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252+ Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 272-320 (103 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is if you're running a positive nature AND full investment.

Last edited:

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere in the mechanics thread, so I might as well ask here: Are the moves that were culled from Sw/Sh such as Pursuit, Hidden Power, Refresh, etc, still usable in Natdex or have they also been culled from this as well?

when is zygarde going to be actually restricted from being used in games? It's still allowed on the ladder despite being "banned".

Last edited:
just informing people that despite being listed as banned in the teambuilder now, zygarde isn't banned (still the case as of today). I don't know if this is expected or if something's gone wrong.

Were Primals banned from Dynamaxing because it would be too op (which is fine, I’m just wondering)? I’m asking because it’s not totally consistent with our other made up mechanic decisions.
Banning Megas and Ultra Necrozma from Dynamaxing makes mechanical sense, in-game the Mega/Ultra Burst button would occupy the Dynamax button space. Primals don’t have a button in game, they automatically transform. Unless there’s something obvious I’m missing, I don’t see why these “couldn’t” dynamax (again, I’m not really advocating for this but I’d love for someone to say the reason is that it would be OP and not that it’s a mechanics thing)

Were Primals banned from Dynamaxing because it would be too op (which is fine, I’m just wondering)? I’m asking because it’s not totally consistent with our other made up mechanic decisions.
Banning Megas and Ultra Necrozma from Dynamaxing makes mechanical sense, in-game the Mega/Ultra Burst button would occupy the Dynamax button space. Primals don’t have a button in game, they automatically transform. Unless there’s something obvious I’m missing, I don’t see why these “couldn’t” dynamax (again, I’m not really advocating for this but I’d love for someone to say the reason is that it would be OP and not that it’s a mechanics thing)
To add, in gen 7, a Rayquaza which already used its z-move still cannot mega evolve even though there is no button anymore to occupy the mega evolve button (or was it the other way around, cannot remember which one gets priority; point remains though). So this is consistent with that mechanic.

To add, in gen 7, a Rayquaza which already used its z-move still cannot mega evolve even though there is no button anymore to occupy the mega evolve button (or was it the other way around, cannot remember which one gets priority; point remains though). So this is consistent with that mechanic.
but there is no button, it’s not consistent. You send out a Primal and it changes with no user input. There would be a big ol empty space for a Dynamax button. Rayquaza with a Z-Crystal has the button for Z-move, and if no Z-crystal it has the mega evolve button. All I’m saying is that unlike Mega Ray, Megas and Ultra Necrozma you have to invent mechanics to prevent the primals from Dynamaxing which bothers me as a true advocate of ANYTHING goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)