Metagame National Dex Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of OP stolen from Pigeons and OU Metagame Discussion Thread

Art by Cresselia92

National Dex Overused Metagame Discussion
Welcome to National Dex Overused! This thread will be used to discuss the National Dex OU metagame, letting users share theorymonning ideas, metagame observations, and sets! The format will follow standard OU clauses with the exception of allowing the transfer of omitted pokemon, mechanics (ie: Mega Evolution and Z-Moves), and items into the Gen 8 competitive scene. Thats right, our faithful old friend Landorus-T and many other significant threats such as Heatran, Garchomp, and Metagross are back to shake things up!

CLICK HERE FOR AN EXPLANATION OF NATIONAL DEX BATTLE MECHANICS

Council:

The banlist will parallel standard OU for the most part with a few exceptions of course:

Banlist:

Clauses: Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Endless Battle Clause, Dynamax Clause
Pokemon: Arceus*, Blastoise-Mega, Blaziken, Blaziken-Mega, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Eternatus, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kangaskhan-Mega, Kyogre, Kyurem-B, Kyurem-W, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Lugia, Lunala, Marshadow, Mewtwo, Naganadel, Necrozma-DW, Necrozma-DM, Palkia, Pheromosa, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Salamence-Mega, Shaymin-S, Solgaleo, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zacian, Zacian-C, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-C, Zekrom, Zygarde
* All formes
Abilities: Shadow Tag, Power Construct, Moody, Arena Trap
Moves: Baton Pass

Noticeable Unbans:
: Given the nerf to it's offenses / defenses depending on which form it is in conjunction with the nerf to King's Shield, Aegislash will be given another chance to roam in the OU environment once more. However, it must be noted that it gains access to Toxic in this format, meaning checks in standard OU such as Mandibuzz and Hippowdon can have a much more difficult time pivoting into it.

: Given the radical environment of National Dex OU at the moment due to the potential of Dynamax mons alongside the potential of checks such as Aegislash, Corviknight, and Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross will also be given another chance in the OU environment. It may still cause a headache due to it's excellent stats and great power backed up by colorful coverage, so only time will tell if it will be meant to stay!

: With the newfound access to Spikes in Mew's arsenal, Deoxys-D has now direct competition as an entry hazard lead setter. In conjunction with the influx of hazard removal, both old and new, on top of items that directly alleviate the effects of entry hazards (ie: Heavy-Duty Boots), Deoxys-D is theoretically less impactful as an entry hazard setter for offensive teams and has been unbanned as a result.

New Items:

Blunder Policy: Raises Speed sharply when a Pokémon misses with a move because of accuracy.

Eject Pack: An item to be held by a Pokémon. When the holder's stats are lowered, it will be switched out of battle.

Heavy-Duty Boots: These boots prevent the effects of traps set on the battlefield.

Room Service: An item to be held by a Pokémon. Lowers Speed when Trick Room takes effect.

Throat Spray: Raises Sp. Atk when a Pokémon uses a sound-based move.

Utility Umbrella: An item to be held by a Pokémon. This sturdy umbrella protects the holder from the effects of weather.

And that is all! The OP will be updated regularly as updates occur. Feel free to discuss the metagame as of now and resources should be up shortly as the metagame settles!

Last edited:
1) Not going to mention Dmax. Y'all figure that one out when Gen 8 OU does. But I'm for banning it in both.

2) You definitely have to quickban Kyurem-Black. Dragon Dance + Icicle Spear means it has a reliable set up and physical STAB, meaning it can run pretty much full offensive sets. Magnezone/Golem-A can trap its few checks and clear the field for a late game setup. I made my own OM with Ice Hammer Kyurem-B and it ended up being broken in limited testing. This is that but even better.

3) I'd advise a Clangorous Soul + Kommonium-Z clause as well, since they were probably not intended to be together. I don't like complex bans either, but this one just makes sense. Otherwise, you're going to have to ban one of either Kommo-o, it's new move, or the Z crystal.

Lookin' good otherwise.

EDIT: I meant Icicle Spear, not Crash. It does similar types of damage, up to 125 if you're feelin' lucky ;)

Last edited:
2) You definitely have to quickban Kyurem-Black. Dragon Dance + Icicle Crash means it has a reliable set up and physical STAB, meaning it can run pretty much full offensive sets. Magnezone/Golem-A can trap its few checks and clear the field for a late game setup. I made my own OM with Ice Hammer Kyurem-B and it ended up being broken in limited testing. This is that but even better.
Small correction, but Kyurem didn't get Icicle Crash, but it did get Icicle Spear. Either way, it's still a dumb move on it because it gets benefited from the Dynamax base power boost.

Anyway, meet one of the biggest winners of this meta:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack

Scrappy is now immune to Intimidate, which means it really doesn't need Ice Punch to get past Lando anymore. I've been liking Quick Attack in the last slot for the double priority to deal with Ash-Gren better, although I can also see Power-up Punch sets being lethal with the Intimidate immunity.

Edit: I noticed Cinderace's Libero ability is legal in the National Dex beta ladder. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not because it's unreleased in Sword and Shield at this time.

Last edited:
I haven't played too much here, but here's one of the first things I tried to use (without much success because I'm bad):

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry / Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Superpower / Stone Edge

This set is basically Z-Fly Lando but with 3 uses instead, and with extra bulk. Thanks to Max Airstream boosting your speed you can use Lando as a late-game cleaner or as a sweeper if you manage to use more than 1 SD. Additionally, Max Knuckle makes break past Celesteela and other bulky pokémon easier, while Stone Edge is mainly for Zapdos and other bulky mon that resist Flying/Fighting coverage. Since it doesn't need to carry a Z-Crystal to nuke Grass-Types it can allow himself to run other items, such as Yache Berry which makes living an Ice Beam from stuff like Magearna possible under Dynamax (or just having an easier time setting up against opposing Landos).

Magearna @ Leftovers / Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind / Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam / Focus Blast

Magearna is another massive Dynamax abuser, mainly due to the extra bulk (especially under screens), as it allows mage to tank some serious hits from stuff like Heatran or Scarf Landorus (if shuca). While it doesn't abuse Max moves as much as other mons like Gyarados or Hawlucha, just being able to nuke both Pex and Ferrothorn reliably with the same set makes it a superior choice over Z-Crystals.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dig / Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

At this point is pretty obvious that Max Moves are 100% percent better than Z-Moves, so it's natural that a lot of mons that used Z-Moves are excellent DMax abusers as well. Being able to both nuke your opponent AND hold a different item is a significant boost for a lot of pokémon, such as the aformentioned Z-Move users. Special mention goes to Heatran, who's able to run Air Balloon sets without being considered a meme anymore, while taking full advantage of Max Moves as Max Flare both powers up Magma Storm and Solar Beam by setting up Sun, and Max Overgrow grants itself it's own Grassy Terrain.

And finally, another mons that takes advantage of DMax ignoring Choice items are:

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 96 HP / 204 Atk / 32 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Got yourself locked into Horn Leech into a Heatran? No problem, just Dynamax and blow it away with Max Knuckle! Problems with Zapdos? Max Rockfall has you covered, fam! Max Overgrow also has the benefit of resetting terrain in the face of other tapus wanting to Revenge Kill Bulu, it's crazy!

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

While messing around with terrains forces you to almost always end your last DMax turn in Max Mindstorm or switch out, nuking away Celesteela will always be worth it. To balance things out, you take 0 advantage of Max Knuckle most of the time aside of blowing away Ferrothorn and Heatran.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Just gonna post some early metagame thoughts, as well as ideas I’m having in the builder

:kyurem-black:
Banish this

:metagross-mega: :magnezone:
You probably recognize this core from ORAS and probably early SM but I think that its main purpose still stands. Metagross is a ludicrous wallbreaker but it has trouble dealing with Steel-types, which is compounded by its 4MSS. Enter Magnezone, which can trap Corviknight, Skarmory, Mega Scizor and Celesteela. This lets Gross ditch Thunder Punch and HP Fire for Bullet Punch, Hammer Arm, Grass Knot, etc. A nice perk about Gross is its a suitable check to Lele and Indeedee-Male, outspeeding and and tanking their primary STABs. This makes me feel safer about running Magnezone, since it’s not really known for defensive capabilities. Pair with Scarf Lele because Psyspam shenanigans.

:skarmory: :celesteela: :corviknight:
Just when you thought we had enough steel/flying types ya get another one. Anyway these three actually have distinct niches over each other and I feel like each will have a place within the metagame. Skarmory will due its usual shit with Spiking and walling physical attackers, of which it does best (I’ll come back with calcs but Gyara and Exca aren’t exactly going to win a 1v1). Steela is still by far the best check to Lele, but it might fall to Indeedee in the future if you can’t read Mystical Fire. It also has the most immediate response to Kartana with Flamethrower, although Skarm and Corv have Counter and Body Press, respectively. Corviknight is the best user of Defog and the only U-turner. It is these traits alongside a Bulk Up set that makes me think it will be the dominant steel/flying on BO, while Cele will be on balance and skarm on (semi)stall.

:aegislash: :hydreigon:
Just wanted to say these two have perfect defensive synergy and give flexible teambuilding so long as Mandibuzz (which may fall off) and Grimmsnarl are managed by something like Clefable.

:volcarona: :dragonite: :mandibuzz: :cinderace:
Heavy Duty Boots is gonna give these guys a huge boost, especially if Dynamax stays (please for the love of anything don’t let this be the case). Volcarona is suddenly far less fearful of hazard shenanigans and can simply setup without as much crazy defog support, but the likes of Chansey and Pex still annoy it. Bulky sets may still need that Defog support as well because they walled Knock Off mons (Maw + Kart). (Sidenote: Volcarona also walls Megagross and potentially Aegi yay) Dragonite becomes more recognizable to its ORAS days, because if constant Multiscale wasn’t enough, Max Airstream boosts Speed. I don’t think it will be as strong as pre-Fairy metas but it will be an under the radar threat. Mandibuzz is now a bulky af Defogger with the Boots, but there’s not much else to say for it apart from it walls Aegislash lacking Toxic. Cinderace is gonna be cool as a utility mon that controls the hazard game with Court Change and U-turn, playing a similar role to Torn-T last gen without checking Kart or Bulu

Last edited:
Is phero and naganadel really still too broken for nat OU? Just can't see phero being as much of an issue with aegi being back, and assuming Hidden power is gone, no HP ice or rock for lando/volc, u-turning into boots flame body bulkarona just sucks for this thing. Toxapex walls it too. Only thing phero gained is the boots to avoid hazard chip with u-turn, but that also hurts some of its damage potential.

Naganadel has less solutions, but rn I'm just surprised its still quick banned when there are so many brutal sweepers and dynamax users that make it look like your typical sweeper in the current meta. Looking at kartana especially, who can utilize the max-airstream max-knuckle combo with sacred sword + aerial ace when dynamaxed. Dragapult looks like a solid revenge killer if naganadel doesn't get the speed boost, and scarf dragapult outspeeds the entire tier with a +1 or scarfed (including threats like greninja, m-alakazam, and koko.)

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
I think Genesect should not be on the initial banlist; it's not at the power level of everything else on the initial banlist. I am also not sure that Genesect is guaranteed to be broken in this format. While it will likely be very good, Dugtrio, Aegislash, and some of the new mons like Corviknight threaten it greatly. It may be broken down the line but I am not sure it warrants inclusion on the initial banlist, especially since Aegislash is also not guaranteed to be broken this gen. Furthermore, Genesects slow speed is a liability in such an offensive meta; it struggles vs rain and faster offensive juggernauts.

Dynamax is also really bad for Genesect. The buffs from genesect matter little to genesect beyond a slight powerup to that coverage move (like sun or electric terrain), but Dynamax will cut short genesect sweeps. For example, Tornadus-T can easily Dynamax, take 30% from a genesect move and kill it back.

I think Genesect should be tested in this metagame. It may warrant looking at down the line, though.

Would love to hear others' thoughts on this.

Also please quickban Kyu-B, this should have been on the initial banlist IMHO.

Small problem, if someone has a Mega Stone or Z-crystal on one of their Pokemon they can't Dynamax. Why is this the case? Is this a bug or some roundabout way of balancing out Dynamax?

Any chance we can start off w a smaller banlist? i know, it may sound rlly broken, but a fair point has been brought up time and time again that we should at least bring some pokemon back (this also prevents future questions of unbanning certain mons). not talking about shit like primals and main legends, but i think a list like this would be fair to try after all this time, especially since, well, power creep is bigger than ever. we shouldn't be scared to try it out at the least, quickbanning is always an option.

Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Marshadow, Naganadel, Pheromosa, Shaymin-Sky, Kangaskhan-Mega, Blaziken-Mega, Lucario-Mega, Gengar-Mega, Salamence-Mega

i know this might seem like a crazy list, but it never hurts to at least try them. it’s the start of the gen, might as well try out as much as possible. i truly believe that at the start of each gen everything should be given a chance, no matter what. and if they end being broken anyways, quickban them. i think this unban list would attract a lot more people too, to try out and finally have some unbans they asked for. at least consider it, it would be hugely appreciated.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Small problem, if someone has a Mega Stone or Z-crystal on one of their Pokemon they can't Dynamax. Why is this the case? Is this a bug or some roundabout way of balancing out Dynamax?
The button for Dynamax occupies the same position in-game as the button for Mega Evolution or activating a Z-Crystal.

In Generation 7, Mega Rayquaza was unable to hold a Z-Crystal and Mega Evolve, because the buttons were mutually exclusive and occupied the same position. While we do not know how Game Freak would handle Mega Evolution/ Z-Crystals with Dynamax, we theorize they would be mutually exclusive because of the Mega Rayquaza precedent. Thus Pokemon may not Dynamax and Mega Evolve, or hold a Z-Crystal and Mega Evolve.

The button for Dynamax occupies the same position in-game as the button for Mega Evolution or activating a Z-Crystal.

In Generation 7, Mega Rayquaza was unable to hold a Z-Crystal and Mega Evolve, because the buttons were mutually exclusive and occupied the same position. While we do not know how Game Freak would handle Mega Evolution/ Z-Crystals with Dynamax, we theorize they would be mutually exclusive because of the Mega Rayquaza precedent. Thus Pokemon may not Dynamax and Mega Evolve, or hold a Z-Crystal and Mega Evolve.
I should have worded the post better. The problem is that NONE OF THE POKEMON ON YOUR TEAM can Dynamax if any one of them is holding a Z-Crystal or a Mega Stone.

Can we get some quick bans. Like do we really need to discuss if there is any world where DD Kyurem should stay in the tier? I think if something is obvious and clearly uncontroversial, something should be done immediately. "Letting the meta settle" is literally an excuse not to have to take action. How on the earth is the meta going to settle to balance out Kyurem. Ban this thing immediately so the meta can you know, actually "settle". Sitting at No1 at 69-14 GXE 85. Won last 30 in a row. Send this thing away.

I'm in huge favor of dropping a bunch of stuff for the early meta, esp given that some of these pokemon were banned 5-6+ years ago and the present metagame is so far removed from when they were banned. A good chunk of stuff like Deo-A/MGar/MMence is probably still beyond broken but stuff like Genesect/MKang/Deoxys-D/Lando-I/Darkrai/Giratina-O deserve a chance at getting dropped imo. On the flip side Kyu-B is pretty clearly broken in half (finally) and should be gone asap.

Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Genesect, Kyurem-White, Landorus, Marshadow, Naganadel, Pheromosa, Shaymin-Sky, Kangaskhan-Mega, Blaziken-Mega, Lucario-Mega, Gengar-Mega, Salamence-Mega
I think these guys are a bit much:

Blaziken+mega

If gale wings was still spammable like in X/Y I'd say maybe, but rn probs best not to introduce blaziken. Blaziken beats every core with access to brave bird (bulkarona), ferrothorn, corsula (knock off, night slash), toxapex (earthquake, thunderpunch), heatran, aegislash, and with dynamax/Z-moves, it can really punch holes into any would-be checks and counters. Nothing can properly revenge kill it to stop the sweep except for ditto and talonflame assuming its full health.

Darkrai was broken for being an incredibly strong sweeper that can setup on just about anyone, and can cheese his way into setting up and sweeping with dark void. It'd be a different story if his base offensives weren't as strong as they are with the threat of dark void (unlike for example, venomoth who needs a bit of setup to be threatening, darkrai either chunks you or sleeps you.). Chansey can lose to focus punch, physical mons lose to will-o-wisp, and just about anything switching in risk getting outsped after and 2hko'd by specs.

Despite the DV nerf, that actually makes it worse because now darkrai's wins are even more luck based for both sides, its uncontrollable if he'll actually land the DV, or better yet hypnosis which is a better move now, making the win dependant on RNG.

All of them are just really god tier leads, The only one that is somewhat managable is defense form, and even that is very hard to kill and can flat out kill most hazard removers with its movepool as well as taunt defog and toxic.

Gotta remember why this thing is banned, literally nothing can switch into it and anything that can it still can u-turn for moment to get away from. STAB +1 u-turns from base 120 attack is nothing to joke about, and potentially +1 SpA is very hard to switch in when it has access to fire, ice, and electric coverage. Teams get to the point of EV training specifically to get it to get an undesirably download boost, I'd say that's centralizing enough.

Dynamax aerial ace genesect with an Atk boost sounds way too much, on top of the fucker spamming scarf u-turn.

170 base SpA, 120 Atk, STAB ice+dragon moves+earth power+flash cannon, and ignores abilities such as levitate, wonder guard, and disguise. You may want to reconsider.

parentel bond is just too strong. After a power-up punch, mega kanga can kill so much and nothing can easily shut it down (with 105/100/100 defenses), and fake out just chips so much.

Parental bond mud-slap is also a thing.

How do you even account for countering both special and physical sets? one wrong prediction and it sweeps your entire team with a pretty good speed tier.

I should have worded the post better. The problem is that NONE OF THE POKEMON ON YOUR TEAM can Dynamax if any one of them is holding a Z-Crystal or a Mega Stone.
Not sure what you're talking about, you CAN Dmax if you have a mega stone and/or Z crystal on another team member. Those mons just aren't allowed to Dmax themselves.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This was actually a “bug”. (in quotes because HoeenHero or another coder intended it to be that you could Dyna, Mega and Z but simply didn’t implement it) It should be done correctly now. For example
7A4F44F4-F2EE-4949-B2C6-698A691D1EF0.jpeg

Zygarde can now Dynamax despite the fact I have a Mega Aggron.

Edit: Something very noteworthy is the new Teleport mechanics. Like LGPE, Teleport is now a -6 priority move that switches the user out. This is potentially huge for a couple of mons, as alot of them regained access to them via Let’s Go. First off is Clefable, which was already a capable mon before it got the buff, but it could fit on BO-esque teams when before it was kinda restricted to balance. Basically if you’re an LO Clef but like Tran or Chansey comes in, you can be like “I’mma head out” and switch to Zyg/Gliscor/Chomp. This also lets you escape Magma Storm. Most importantly, Clefable is resistant to Pursuit, which not many of these mons are, making it a great user of the move, especially if you’re LO. Magnezone now has an unblockable Volt Switch at the cost of Speed, so Volt can be used by Scarf sets while Teleport can be found on Specs. Starmie has the combo of Spin + Teleport + Recover, which means its got better utility for both bulky and offensive sets. Jynx has sleep and pivoting, but I don’t see this making it broken. Porygon2 has good bulk, letting it take a hit and bring in a strong breaker. Should it be unbanned, Deoxys-D can do something similar, although it trades a Pursuit weakness for Spikes (Ferro doesn’t get a pivot move). Unfortunately, fast and frail mons like MegaZam would rather use another move becauseTeleport forces you to take a hit before leaving. Also, while I don’t see Chansey using it often, Chansey offenses that were kinda gimmicky last gen might become a respectable playstyle, as Seismic/Soft-Boiled/Teleport/Filler walls and pivots on much of the tier, especially if it can run Toxic or TWave in that last slot.

Last edited:
I think lando I and genesect should be retested. Just because they were overpowered in previous generations it doesn't mean they will be this time. A great example of this is Greninja last gen. In gen 6 it was just a disgusting Pokemon. I thought it was stupid to test it out in gen 7 but I proved to be wrong. While Greninja was still very good it was far more manageable. We don't know if that's the case with lando and genesect until they are tested. If they prove to be too strong a quick ban can solve this.

Some bugs that allow the use of Floette-Eternal, Magerna-Original, unreleased type Gems, and unreleased G-Max forms.

I think its unfortunate Kyurem-B will almost certainly be banned due to his buffs, but he is likely too strong.

Dynamaxing being banned, while it sounds like perhaps something people are just shouting out, should be considered.

People always talk about Genesect or Darkrai being suspect tested, but no one ever really talks about Shaymin-Sky. Its defenses aren't the best, being grass type gives it plenty of weaknesses, and its gotten more counters as generations have passed like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, Corviknight, Dragapult.

Some bugs that allow the use of Floette-Eternal, Magerna-Original, unreleased type Gems, and unreleased G-Max forms.

I think its unfortunate Kyurem-B will almost certainly be banned due to his buffs, but he is likely too strong.

Dynamaxing being banned, while it sounds like perhaps something people are just shouting out, should be considered.

People always talk about Genesect or Darkrai being suspect tested, but no one ever really talks about Shaymin-Sky. Its defenses aren't the best, being grass type gives it plenty of weaknesses, and its gotten more counters as generations have passed like Tapu Koko, Celesteela, Corviknight, Dragapult.
The issue with Shaymin-Sky is its combination of traits. Its speed and SpA coupled with its movepool and broken ability for a mon like this that make it broken. The aforementioned Celesteela and Corviknight lose to the Sub Seed set and further Air Slash flinch hax. Koko hates taking a Seed Flare and even an Air Slash. Dragapult has the added bonus of being able to outspeed it and break through sub but it has no reliable recovery and will not enjoy talking Air Slashes. As for stuff like Kyurem-B, I think more time is needed before we can determine it broken or not. Dynamaxing makes this thing a god but before Kyurem-B is suspected upon, dynamaxing needs a suspect test. KyuB is weak to rocks and its typing gives it less opportunities to sweep than people think and it has to speed tie with Scarf Lele and is Rkilled by the likes of Scarf Kartana and maybe M-Gross.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I believe Dawn Wings deserves an unban. The meta is no stranger to slow, powerful wallbreakers and Dawn Wings is no exception. Its very Pursuit weak meaning trappers like Ttar will make Dawn Wings more manageable for fatter teams.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I believe Dawn Wings deserves an unban. The meta is no stranger to slow, powerful wallbreakers and Dawn Wings is no exception. Its very Pursuit weak meaning trappers like Ttar will make Dawn Wings more manageable for fatter teams.
Hahaha no.
I'm probably completely wrong about this, but the thing has extremely good bulk and while its defensive typing is awful in some cases it's incredibly good in others (i.e. as a spinblocker that shreds all Defoggers in half if it gets a hit off on them). It doesn't have the crazy coverage Lunala has since it can't learn Focus Blast but something like CM+3 Attacks with Lunalium Z or Groundium Z, or CM+RP with either Z-Move or Psyshock over Earth Power/Heat Wave if it runs Lunalium would give virtually every team archetype the hands. It also gets SD and some relatively decent coverage options if it wants to blow past stuff like TTar and what have you although that's a lure set if anything. Note that Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom is a 200-power Z-move that has built-in Mold Breaker properties so your random Unaware mon that probably doesn't have any SpDef investment is gonna get nuked at +1.

That 97/109/127 bulk is really good. Those 113/157 offensive stats are also really good considering that thing is able to pick and choose its counters decently well. It has a great movepool that allows it to potentially lure in would-be counters and if it absolutely needs to it can forego coverage for an additional boosting option or for semi-reliable recovery so it can further boost up in the face of Stall.

TL;DR: USUM gave Necrozma as a whole better coverage which means it can actually utilize stuff like Earth Power or Heat Wave to beat specific stuff and with a Lunalium Z Dawn Wings is pretty capable of doing stuff like this:

If I listed every calc of this thing OHKOing some shit at +0 or +1 with its Z-move I could have a full-length essay so here are some of the things its Z-Move fucks up, and some of the stuff that its coverage moves can deal with when its Z-move doesn't quite do the job.

252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 271-319 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aggron-Mega: 343-405 (99.7 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (note that Mega Aggron has to run some level of offensive investment sometimes in this tier)

252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 406-478 (118.3 - 139.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 330-388 (46.9 - 55.1%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Earth Power vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar-Mega in Sand: 214-252 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Mega TTar can't even switch in on this behemoth because Prism Armor lets it live a 40-power Pursuit from full.

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 373-439 (97.6 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma-Dawn-Wings Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 276-325 (76 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Dynamaxing might give some of these mons a better chance of survival, but that's only assuming the opponent hasn't used up their three Dynamax turns already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)