Social Neurodiversity

Isn't this literally portraying your problems and enemies as the soy wojak?
Ok this is hilarious and honestly, yeah tbh

it works because there is no discussion to be had with many intrusive thoughts. You arent dismissing people, you're dismissing brain goblins lol

while some anxieties should actually be looked into and discussed, a majority of intrusive thoughts for me are just "haha what if you said x to be a dick" or "what if you just committed X crime you really don't have a reason to do or want to" which is peak chudjak behavior tbh and not worth engaging with. Cope cry and mald, brain goblins

Last edited:
intrusive thoughts are brutal. I actually got some great advice from a girl in my last writing class who wrote about her experiences with them

her advice was to take all of the unwanted thoughts and picture a specific caricature of a person you dont respect saying them.

example: "i feel like the car is gonna swerve off the road and kill me". -> Shut up, Craig, it probably won't. What do you know about automobiles when you literally can't tie your shoes and smell funny.

it's a bit silly, but i've found it can help even with more disturbing and concerning ones.

Regardless, just remember actions define a person and not thoughts. Have a great day
that's adorable and I will try it next time

I am autistic and maybe it's not bc of autism and something else, but it just feels like 90% of conversations are dragged out or are misunderstood because of some weird social conventions that shouldn't exist making everything obtuse.

I don't really have that much productive to say, kinda just upset with how it feels frustrating to talk to people at times.

i am autistic and have adhd, but i dont really feel like i belong here. i have never had any pride in my autism. this is not me saying i am ashamed, merely that i dont care for a sence of belonging based on a part of me. however, i will still watch this thread so i can support anyone who needs help in their confusing journey through life.

how do you guys deal with trying to get over the sensory overload that some food or clothes etc can give. I'm trying to be a grown woman and eat my veggies but stuff like lettuce makes me want to die.

So like, do I just go to a GP and say hey I think I might be a bit spicy because I'm apparently weird? Like how do you even find out? I'm now a very adult adult and it's becoming increasingly apparent that things I though were an everyone experience are only a me and my spicy friends experience.

intrusive thoughts are brutal. I actually got some great advice from a girl in my last writing class who wrote about her experiences with them

her advice was to take all of the unwanted thoughts and picture a specific caricature of a person you dont respect saying them.

example: "i feel like the car is gonna swerve off the road and kill me". -> Shut up, Craig, it probably won't. What do you know about automobiles when you literally can't tie your shoes and smell funny.

it's a bit silly, but i've found it can help even with more disturbing and concerning ones.

Regardless, just remember actions define a person and not thoughts. Have a great day
Oh intrusive thoughts are very annoying. I get them often out of nowhere when I try to sleep, and trust me. They are not great.

So like, do I just go to a GP and say hey I think I might be a bit spicy because I'm apparently weird? Like how do you even find out? I'm now a very adult adult and it's becoming increasingly apparent that things I though were an everyone experience are only a me and my spicy friends experience.
go to a medical professional and take a test. alternatively, if you don't feel like spending a bajilion dollars, you can take an online test, though don't rely on them to tell you the full truth.

how do you guys deal with trying to get over the sensory overload that some food or clothes etc can give. I'm trying to be a grown woman and eat my veggies but stuff like lettuce makes me want to die.
The nice thing is that there are many different kinds of vegetables and many ways to cook or prepare them, so you can hopefully find a good texture. And even some snacks with vegetables in them like Harvest Snaps that taste pretty good. Black bean veggie burgers. Try different things and just notice what you like.

There are different kinds of tests. If you know what you want, you can search that and type "near me" or check your insurance website for providers.
I got the neuropsychological evaluation as it's more comprehensive, and I thankfully had good insurance at the time.

Attachments

Last edited:
Kind of a weird question, but hoping this is a safe space. What do you do when you feel a sensory issue related to another person that you care about? Like holding hands with someone who has fairly larger hands (or dry hands even lol), and my mind gets stuck on the fact that my hand doesn't fit right in theirs. Like the spacing between the fingers feels off. Should I just ask to hold hands in a different way? Any other ideas or similar experience?
Mentioning it feels a little weird since I'm not sure I understand it myself at the moment.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
The nice thing is that there are many different kinds of vegetables and many ways to cook or prepare them, so you can hopefully find a good texture. And even some snacks with vegetables in them like Harvest Snaps that taste pretty good. Black bean veggie burgers. Try different things and just notice what you like.
There are different kinds of tests. If you know what you want, you can search that and type "near me" or check your insurance website for providers.
I got the neuropsychological evaluation as it's more comprehensive, and I thankfully had good insurance at the time.
Kind of a weird question, but hoping this is a safe space. What do you do when you feel a sensory issue related to another person that you care about? Like holding hands with someone who has fairly larger hands (or dry hands even lol), and my mind gets stuck on the fact that my hand doesn't fit right in theirs. Like the spacing between the fingers feels off. Should I just ask to hold hands in a different way? Any other ideas or similar experience?
Mentioning it feels a little weird since I'm not sure I understand it myself at the moment.
I don't have anything against these posts, but realistically speaking these could probably be merged into one post with different sections. You seem to be new here from what I can tell (in that case, welcome!), so I'm not going to be too too strict about this. It's more of a "for future reference" thing.

As for your actual question: I think it largely depends on the situation, and who the other person/people is (a relative, significant other, coworker, etc.) but your sensory needs often won't line up with those of other people. Something comfortable for someone else might not be for you, but that's okay. You can learn a lot about the person or people around you by the communication that does (or doesn't) take place. In a relationship, for example, if your significant other isn't aware of or is ignoring your sensory needs, this sounds like something both parties could discuss in private or in some kind of relationship therapy/counseling.

Hi. I was not diagnosed until recently, at 27. My doctors suspected I may be on the spectrum due to my social & communication issues, stimming behavior that I always hid from others, and most importantly that I began suffering seizures at 20 for an unknown reason. Apparently epilepsy and ASD are linked, and rates of epilepsy amongst people on the spectrum are high. It also made a lot of my behaviors and thoughts make sense. It's kind of odd, though, because I wasn't diagnosed I internalized a lot of masking behaviors, and don't know how to or if to express my "true" self, whatever that actually means. I have always had very deep fixations, mainly on, in this order, history, Pokémon, football (soccer) and astronomy. I say they're fixations as opposed to my other interests, as they are the things my mind has always dwelled on for most of my life. I also love to write and create maps.

I deleted like 2 paragraphs of unnecessary detail about my interests, as a writer I have to self-edit, because I enjoy writing so much and am verbose more generally I'll write in just way too much detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)