Rejected - Inactive New background music

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Current policy is to have trainer battle and rival battle music from Gen 4 and later as background music. For unspecified reasons, I can't add too much music, but if there's other music you'd want, feel free to be more specific.

New music every month is definitely way too much for us to support. Unless it was on rotation or something. That might be an interesting possibility.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
Well if we want to add new songs the best thing would be making a poll here in smogon. Couse it can be every month Smogon would decide what time will have every music change

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Don't know if these will be completely approved, and not sure if these themes play since my volume is normally off because sometimes it ends up being higher than I remember as well as notifications, but some good ideas I have are:
HGSS Champion theme, Team Neo Plasma theme, and maybe Gym Leader music (gen 5 gym leader music may be tough though because when gym leaders are down to their last Mon, it changes and so I'd like for it to be the same for PS if gen 5 gym leader themes happen)

These are just suggestions. Not sure if they are going to be approved, but uhh yeah

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
hi, id like to support the idea of letting us choose what tracks get played and what don't. As a whole the shift towards users controlling that would be great to determine the atmosphere, especially in a big game.

Also, Id probably make a poll in a post here asking what themes everyone wants and ig announcing that on PS. Not necessarily a preset poll - I'd guess youd still just keep the ones rn and then ask if they want a few others so long as theyre mons battle themes. IDK how many more songs will fare bandwidth-wise, and the limits in regard to that.

edit: ah, i didnt see that post. Weird cause i did search for that... maybe my saerch terms were off? idk. Anyways i still stand by the idea of doing a poll sitewide to see what the userbase wants there.

Last edited:
We have been listening to almost the same themes for such a long time... Adding new themes can help updating this platform. I do believe that this is really important since it will make players feel like the server is evolving and growing more and more.

Last edited:
We have been listening to almost the same themes for such a long time... Adding new themes can help updating this platform. I do believe that this is really important since it will make players feel like the game is not dead and its evolving and growing more and more.
Cousin, we just got a ton of new Pokemon and moves from the Isle of Armor DLC. Almost no one would think the game is dead, and the people who do are not going to be swayed by music.

Pokemon showdown is a battle simulator, so the best pokemon battle music that i can share for are the music from PKM BR ( Battle Revolution ) which is a battle based game too.

I think that the background music are a major pro for pokemon showdown , sometime , when i play to pkm dpp ( 4 Gen ) and fight my rival , i can't focus on the game because the sound remind me showdown , i love that. I love showdown and i think that the battle sound already choosed are very good , it bring a " spirit " to the game. But the sound list is pretty short so , i wouldn't mind if some music were added to the list. I have some ideas, i enjoyed my moments on pokemon battle revolution because both of the animation and soundtrack are amazing, so i think that my choices won't be bad at all.

Here are some exemples :
This song may not match with what i think is the "showdown style" *. But it still a very good song
This song may be loved by a big part of the community, it sound like the old pokemon's style
And for me , i think this song deserve to be in showdown, because there is already a music which sounds similar to this one, so we can add this song to add some diversity to the background song.

Last edited:
Sorry if someone else has already suggested this but wouldn't it be a good idea to let users import music files?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Sorry if someone else has already suggested this but wouldn't it be a good idea to let users import music files?
Not sure it'd be worth the effort. You'd only be importing it for the end user to hear, at which point you could just play the music on youtube instead (which has more selection and would be much less work).

Sole Survivor

Sepia-toned memories
is a Pre-Contributor
Just noticed this post and I think it's a great idea
if there's other music you'd want, feel free to be more specific.
My takes on this are the World Championships Finals theme which barely anyone outside the VGC community knows about since it is hidden in the code for X and Y and as the name suggests, is specifically played at the finals of the Pokemon World Championships (so far in XY, ORAS, SM and USUM) and Hop's Pokemon League Battle theme.

Last edited:
Current policy is to have trainer battle and rival battle music from Gen 4 and later as background music. For unspecified reasons, I can't add too much music, but if there's other music you'd want, feel free to be more specific.

New music every month is definitely way too much for us to support. Unless it was on rotation or something. That might be an interesting possibility.
One thing that has been a longtime desire of mine is to hear the actual music of the generation I'm playing. When I'm playing ADV, I want to hear RSE music just like I am seeing RSE graphics, like the trainer battle theme or the champion theme.

As it stands, it's comparable to a scenario where there'd be no RSE sprites at all and instead playing with the 3D models Pokemon has been using since Gen VI. It really takes away from the feel and experience and has led me to simply mute the music altogether.

This could be a suggestion thread topic in itself, but in essence, it would be wonderful if past gens only had the music from their actual generation play during battles---even just two or three select tracks for the rest of time (again, with Trainer Battle, Rival Battle, and Champion Battle themes being simple no-brainers).

Furthermore, it would be really nice to be able to control what music you hear for your battles in the first place, rather than it being completely random and not up to anyone. But as I've read, this is not at all an original suggestion.

Sorry to revive the thread, but I propose the following: it would be great to be able to add youtube or soundcloud urls to a list and that it could be played in battle, come on, it's not very complicated, the urls would be saved in a cookie. Not only the music has been the same for many years, but also the starting backgrounds... that pikachu celebrating a birthday has a scary face :zonger:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)