New OU List (January 2009)

This just continues to show how backward Smogon has gotten, trying to force a 50-pokemon OU tier in a metagame that is 25 pokemon wide _at best_. I think the lower tiers would be much more interesting if you guys just accepted that.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're saying we need heavily weighted statistics to better gauge centralization. If so, continue.

If not, you're crazy.

I swear to God Heracross, Donphan and Electivire must only get used from 8am - 4PM PST because I never battle during those hours and I havnt seen one of those Pokemon that I can recall ever in the las tmonth Ive been battling regularily.

Yay Flygon..though I guess im officially not as cool anymore for using him..

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why is Heracross declining so badly? It's not like it's a bad pokemon.
And Donphan, who uses it?

It's funny how about 20 Pokemon have been listed in this thread that will 'tear apart UU'. Surely wouldn't they just balance each other out? I guess people just keep imagining Raikou, Sceptile, Gallade, Crobat, etc. in a metagame filled Steelix, Clefable, Hitmontop, Venusaur, etc, but it'll actually be a metagame filled with Regice, Milotic, Spiritomb, Shaymin, etc, and these Pokemon are not going to be 'teared apart' are they?

Anyway, Donphan isn't getting that much use to be honest. It always seems to be in the bottom 3 OUs. So I'm not particularly surprised. It's not like Donphan is coming 25th every month.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
Shuckle Man , you make a good point here. The new UU will be balanced out now. Like, "Oh no! The Regis are gonna wall the whole of UU!!" Well, meet Blaziken.

Breloom is used more than Heracross, I'm guessing because of Hypnosis acc drop, they're using Breloom again [spore], but it can be for whatever other reason.

As for Donphan, I've seen it roaming around; it's not weak to any of Rotom-H's attacks [the common Spin-Blocker now], so that's a plus.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
But Heracross is really effective on the Suspect ladder, with all the Latias and Tyranitar going around. Maybe if someone popular uses it...............

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whereas I loved using CB Heracross a while back, I think ScarfCross is now definitively the way to go if you're going to use it. Too many things will outspeed it and OHKO otherwise, and and any Heracross is hurt badly by a Scizor Bullet Punch....It's great on the Suspect Ladder, it's true, but it's still a little too slow and fragile for my liking. And I have a hard time fitting it into my teams resistance-wise.

Pretty awesome to see Empoleon and Flygon up there. Flygon has always had a problem making it into OU when compared to beasts such as Garchomp and Salamence, but he got there. :D

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
Pretty awesome to see Empoleon and Flygon up there. Flygon has always had a problem making it into OU when compared to beasts such as Garchomp and Salamence, but he got there. :D
He got there only after Garchomp was sent off, but still, he's a nice poke.

current metagame isn't healthy for heracross with scarftrans AND gliscor being really common with them all over the place heracross finds itself hard press to come in and make a impact

Flygon mainly got in because of Outrage and having the limelight shown on him by Chris is Me, as well as other top battlers using him. But I think it was mainly Outrage; if he didn't get it, he probably wouldn't be here right now.

Empoleon is basically all thanks to top battlers kicking ass with him, and people wanting to try him out. His most popular set, the agility set, was already available pre Platinum.

I'm not sure Rhyperior wasn't used much. Obviously Colonel M had a lot to do with it, but all his sets were available pre Platinum. You would think people would be all over him with his monstrous stats, but he wasn't.

Still, all three are excellant pokemon that are definitely OU material.

current metagame isn't healthy for heracross with scarftrans AND gliscor being really common with them all over the place heracross finds itself hard press to come in and make a impact
well you'd think people would've learned by now and start to use Jolly on their scarfcross'. Scarftran is the one who should be afraid of heracross not the other way around. Also, I think the rotom forms may have something to do with the decline since they bring another hera counter to the table being immune/resisting both of its stab attacks.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Zapdos | Move | HP-Grass | 30.6
Zapdos | Move | HP-Ice | 20.8

On the subject of Flygon, over half of Zapdos had Hidden Power, but only 1 in ~4-5 carried HP Ice. That's still high, but it can come in on any Zapdos that either doesn't have HP Ice, or on any of its other moves.

I suppose having a reliable switch-in and never failing to do significant damage is useful.

The entered of Flygon OU it doesn't catch at all me, in fact immediately after the ban of Garchomp it was enough clear that was owed however to find a Pokémon that has more or less the same characteristics. Instead a true surprise is Tentacruel, considering that in the preceding generations it was only an UU, but also for the elevated number of Earthquake you introduce in the metagame.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The entered of Flygon OU it doesn't catch at all me, in fact immediately after the ban of Garchomp it was enough clear that was owed however to find a Pokémon that has more or less the same characteristics.
I don't understand....

^^^lol I think he means:

It isn't surprising that Flygon entered OU because after Chomp was banned, people were looking for a similar pokemon that could replace it.

The 2nd part means:
He is surprised Tentacruel is OU not just because he was always UU before, but because of the prevalence of earthquake.

I disagree with both statements. Flygon without Outrage would not have entered OU, and there are a lot of earthquake weak pokemon in OU. See meta, jolt, Jirachi, Nape, etc.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Along the lines of what Doug said, it also always surprises me when people are like "Yay! X is OU!! But I can't believe Y fell out of OU! :("

First off, why does it make you happy when a favorite pokemon of yours moves up to OU? It doesn't change whether you can use it or not, only that everyone will now be preparing for it. I was using flygon for months before Chris and others did any promotion for it, and was frankly annoyed when I started having to fight against my secret weapon myself. :(

Second, it's true that pokemon don't enter/leave OU on a 1:1 basis (so we can have 3 go up with only 1 come down), but it's obvious that if some pokemon are getting used a lot, than others aren't. It's pretty obvious that at some level, as pokemon enter OU other ones drop. They can't all get a lot of usage. That's why I always go "wtf?" when I see posts by people who seem to want the entirety of upper BL "to get the recognition they deserve and be OU!" Obviously if some of them rise, others will drop.

"Recognition they derserve!" who gies a damn?

The only reason I'd be "happy" to see a pokemon rise, is if I really don't want to see it in a lower tier.

i'm suprised that e-vire is getting all this hate, since i'm in love with alot of water types his boost with lilfe orb and meditate on the switch has given me so many sweeps it's incredible

aw Mesprit didnt make to OU... one of these days maybe... although no one uses it to back it up... it is good to see gallade leave, and see some new faces... cant wait to see how this mixes up shoddy =)

I'm disapointed Rhyperior isn't usable in the new UU. Nothing resists its STABs there.

Oh yeah, except for Torterra. But that's what Megahorn is for.

Electivire has reasons for still being OU. First off, Zapdos is in the top 5 meaning Electivire has plenty of chances to come in. And it still has synergy with Gyarados, another top 5.

I hardly see Gallade. It doesn't do much and is easily revenge killed. But the Bulk Up set always seems to take down a Pokemon.
Claydol does too, except for Megahorn.

Don't think of this as a UU testing. Think of this as a makeshift BL tier. I'm not happy that most of my UU favorites will likely be on haitus during the testing, but I am glad that BLs finally get an arena where they can play more effectively.

Predictions:

Definitely not meant for UU: Raikou, Gallade, Regis, Milotic, Spiritomb, Shaymin, Mismagius, Abomasnow, Slowbro/king, Smeargle, Mesprit, Magmortar, Blaziken

Snow teams will conquer: Abomasnow / Froslass / Walrein / Glaceon (OUCH... STAB Blizzard with 130 base power)

Steelix will get more SpD EVs with Sassy to better deal with Raikou.

Smeagle antics. Let the guessing games begin!

Failed Sandstorm teams: Hippopotas is too damn weak. It's like using a 5 Pokemon team. It will fail to Hail teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)