Nickname discussion

Okay, now that I'm back, I can post about a new nickname!
CTRL+X

In addition, I must admit that I really enjoy trying to find out which Pokemon best fits another fictional character or sometimes even a real person. With about 720 Pokemon in existence, it is often possible to find an approximate but close match to someone's personality. My recent adventure has been finding the Pokemon for Osomatsu-san characters. I don't know how many of you are even following this anime, but I like it because it's essentially about 6 losers. I like to analyze personalities in general, which is why I've also matched each character with an MBTI type. It was interesting trying to type them, since they are mostly defined and recognized by their flaws.

This project stands out as my biggest typology project so far, with a lot of analysis and time invested into it (much more than I used to do!).

Edit: At the last-minute, I have finally changed Ichi into Muk. I've doubted between Umbreon and Muk for a long time. Even though Ichi may be Umbreon on the inside, he only really acts like Muk. Besides, Muk as a Pokemon might feel different on the inside than how it acts and looks as well. His Muk display is evidence of the fact that he does not master his Umbreon qualities (because a true Umbreon would show confidence much beyond Muk's act of not caring about anything). Even though Ichi may care about everything a lot more than he shows in his behaviour, he is not confident about that at all. This means he is, in fact, still a Muk.

Last edited:
Okay, now that I'm back, I can post about a new nickname!
CTRL+X

In addition, I must admit that I really enjoy trying to find out which Pokemon best fits another fictional character or sometimes even a real person. With about 720 Pokemon in existence, it is often possible to find an approximate but close match to someone's personality. My recent adventure has been finding the Pokemon for Osomatsu-san characters. I don't know how many of you are even following this anime, but I like it because it's essentially about 6 losers. I like to analyze personalities in general, which is why I've also matched each character with an MBTI type. It was interesting trying to type them, since they are mostly defined and recognized by their flaws.

This project stands out as my biggest typology project so far, with a lot of analysis and time invested into it (much more than I used to do!).
I don't really understand it, but it looks good...

I don't really understand it, but it looks good...
This honestly made me laugh out loud.
But I understand what you mean. I think it's certainly possible to see the similarity between the characters and the Pokemon without actually knowing the characters. Their expressions all happen to be very similar :)

This honestly made me laugh out loud.
But I understand what you mean. I think it's certainly possible to see the similarity between the characters and the Pokemon without actually knowing the characters. Their expressions all happen to be very similar :)
What do the letters stand for?

What do the letters stand for?
It's MBTI typology. I actually think it's blown out of proportion on the internet, with websites left and right providing inaccurate tests that don't even seem to grasp the complex structures that underlie it all. Most people see it as a generalizing form of entertainment now, much to my regret. The websites that actually go in-depth about the individual functions are few and far between, with some sources even being biased. I've done a lot of research about it, because I see a lot of potential in it.

The basic idea that is actually quite complex to explain, is that there are 8 psychological functions, which everyone carries. Every person has a certain preference regarding these functions. The more you use a certain function, the better your skills become of applying that function in real life. That is how you learn, and how a child grows into an adult psychologically. Myers-Briggs built upon Jung's theories and developed a structure of 16 different profiles, each with 4 of these functions, in which they continuously alternate each other. They do this to form a balance. Usually, the preferences and skills regarding the functions of an individual are not 100% fitting to these profiles. Because everyone contains all 8 functions, it may be seen as bit superficial to only note 4 of them. But it's true that we can only learn to a certain extent in our lives, and learning to use all 8 functions correctly is basically impossible. The profile that is assigned to an individual (if you have a good test, that is), thus focuses more about obtaining balance, and building that balance upon the basis of your best developed two functions. The other two functions in the profile should help you surmount obstacles, and lead you towards a more balanced life.

The functions are:

Se: extroverted Sensing
Si: introverted Sensing
Ne: extroverted iNtuition
Ni: introverted iNtuition
Fe: extroverted Feeling
Fi: introverted Feeling
Te: extroverted Thinking
Ti: introverted Thinking

The sensing and intuition function are observing in nature, while the feeling and thinking function are judging in nature. You need both, because if you only have judging functions you will only ever be biased and won't be able to regard matters realistically or open-mindedly. If you would only have observing functions though, you would never be able to make decisions, because these come from reason and feeling, from wanting something through bias.

Every function has an extroverted and an introverted variant. This is mainly in regards to direction. While Te may think a lot about the external world and broad structures, Ti is more focused on thinking and analyzing everything about themselves. Fe is more focused on caring for others, while the most important aspect of life for a person with high Fi is following their own values and realize their own happiness. Si types will be the ones that would perceive hunger inside themselves, while Se types are more likely to have cravings for pizza. Si types have incredible memory, because this function is the one that bodily sensors use when backtracking within themselves, trying to revisit spots inside the brain they have visited before, but without the external sensor available anymore. Se types live in the present and are very down to earth, because they mostly sense everything around them. Ne types are open minded and have many ideas, which usually come to them through interaction and free associations with the outside world. Ni is open minded as well, but the ideas are fewer and a lot less flighty, more intense. They come to them, usually very sudden, at moments where they are alone or feeling at ease.

As far as the balance in the profiles go, I can give you an example. The profile assigned to me is INTP. The four functions of INTP in order of how developed they are in me are: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. You might see a pattern here. Two objective functions, one to perceive the inside world and one to perceive the outside. Two judging functions as well, one to judge myself, the other one to judge others. One for ideas and abstract thinking, one for realism and taking care of your physical health, one for rational thinking, and one to feel emotions. That's the balance, that's why there are only four functions required in a profile. To take this example further I can tell you that I am very adapt at Ti and Ne, and happen to have a strong Te and Fi as well. But as you may notice, these are almost exclusively judging functions, and there are absolutely no sensing functions so far that I really feel I'm skilled at. This means that I have trouble being realistic, and my ideals can drive me to harsh judgements that make my life very painful indeed. I always feel like I'm failing. Luckily, my INTP profile shows me the way out. I have spent too many years on a square meter analyzing myself, and I've noticed that I feel much better if I actually do things in the outside world. Si and Se are both about doing things, but another major aspect I need to learn from Si is to respect the past. I throw away things very easily, but if I would hold onto them for a little longer, I might learn some more. Knowing this, I can find motivation to go outside, take better care of my body, give things a second chance, accept my past experiences, and so on. That way I feel healthier and more alive in general. The lowest developed function in my profile in Fe. I have Asperger's and am not good at social situations at all. But I can learn. Even a diagnosis like Asperger's isn't going to hold me back, because even though I know I will never be a 'social butterfly' or anything like that, I do care about people. The more I communicate feelings and the more I learn from past mistakes, the better I will grow.

If you want to read more about MBTI, I recommend the following websites:
Keys2Cognition - This website may not look like it, but it has the best and most extensive MBTI profile test on the web, which takes into regard all 8 functions.
BestFitType - This website explains the functions very accurately.

A word of advice:
Stay away from any websites with MBTI profile descriptions, they tend to be very generalizing. The 8 functions can be applied very broadly and abstract, so it really depends on your own situation and life experiences how these functions manifest themselves in you. With such limited good sources available, it is best to stick to the fundamentals, the two websites I have linked above, the 8 functions, and your own abilities to draw conclusions from these.

Last edited:
Sun and Moon trailers show Blastoise on the back of a truck, acting as a fire truck.
I'm getting Pokémon Blue and starting with Squirtle.
I'm in a massive transformers phase.
Ergo, I should name it after a fire truck in transformers.
Ergo, name it Galaxy; after Galaxy Convoy in Transformers Galaxy Force.
Ergo give your entire team a Galaxy Force naming scheme

So currently the team's Galaxy the Wartortle, Dreadrock the Fearow, Jackshot the Weepinbell and Guardshell the Hitmonlee.

I don't even know what I'm doing with my nicknames. I currently have:

Blasty the Wartortle (Ok, nostalgia factor here. My first starter Blastoise back when I was 10 I nicknamed Blasty)
Orville the Pidgeotto (Named after Orville Wright)
Tesla the Pikachu (Named after Nikola Tesla)
Enchiladas the Mew (I was honestly planning on having an inventor theme for my other 5 members of my party outside Blasty but I couldn't think of what to nickname Mew. So I asked my friend what I should nickname it and she just said "Enchiladas" since that's what she was eating at the time. I spent another hour or so thinking of it and I couldn't think of anything better...)

I had to google the Enchiladas, never even heard of it.
I'm liking your idea of naming Pokemon after food, even if it was just coincidental.
Pancake the Stunfisk.
Unova starters Lettuce (Snivy), Bacon (Tepig) and Potato (Oshawott).
Next time I'm going to make a theme team I will make sure they are haute cuisine.

In other news:
Once I have properly bred my Squirtle, the baby shall be christened the almighty Blazooka.
It has been foretold.

Blazooka
Spitspark
Grand Canyon
Grim Reaper
Alucard

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Whenever I nickname stuff in a playthrough (completely mandatory for me) I'll just nickname them whatever I feel like naming them. For example, my XY Talonflame was called Fame (after the musical) and my Pt Empoleons are called Pingu (after the beloved MC from the children's TV show of the same name). I'll usually give a certain species the same name every time too - my Mareep lines are always called Joey, for example, although with certain lines I can never decide on a permanent name for them.

Competitively I usually stick to song lyrics, although sometimes I have other themes to shake things up, such as fruits, musical words, characters of a series/genre/entertainment medium, inside jokes or by working out how to type their katakana names (yeah I did this once don't judge me *cringes at self*).

Last edited:
I suppose now's as good a time as any to mention my current set of RBY mons.

Bulby the Bulbasaur (im sorry, channeling my inner 8 year old here)
Stallone the Graveler (figuring this one out isn't exactly rocket science)
Spoons the Kadabra (im sorry again I was out of ideas)
Percy the Meowth (I had good reasons for this initially, persian = Persia = Iran => That cool graphic novel/film Persepolis, Perse => Percy, but afterwards I realised everyone's just gonna think "Percy the Persian", so... I'm sorry :o )

and random mons:

Blue the mew (shit it only just occurred to me that bluemew is a user, fuck, that has nothing to do with it! I just wanted something with a broad scope and an abstract but symbolic name, the version title seemed like a good idea)
Eminem the Bellsprout (I caught it for its prowess at Wrapping. im sorry)

I wouldn't have nicknamed them at all only for the news that we can transfer them to SM. Now they're actually worth nicknaming!

I've started my Yellow playthrough yesterday.
My starter is Pikachu (naturally), and I gave it a fitting nickname that I'd like to share.

AC/DC

This got me into the mood to name my entire team after musicians and bands. In my search for nicknames to use, I found a ton of ones that I cannot actually use in my team (because they fit a Pokemon unavailable in Yellow or just one I wasn't planning to use in general). I will post those further on in a hide tag. Do note that a lot of the bandnames used aren't from bands that I actually listen to, they just fitted the Pokemon best and were either iconic or easy to use.

First I'll introduce the planned nicknames for the rest of my team:

(Rocky) Votolato
Gorillaz
(Philip) Glass
Jimi (Hendrix)
Madonna

The rest of the music theme nicknames are below (my favourite nicknames have been bolded):

Elvis (Presley) - Blastoise
Paper Kite - Butterfree
(Bob) Marley - Oddish

Dire Straits - Meowth
The Police - Growlithe
Moby - Electrode
Queen - Goldeen
Aerosmith - Aerodactyl
R.E.M. - Snorlax
(David) Bowie - Mew

Ozzy (Osbourne) - Crobat
Jezabel - Bellossom
Nightwish - Umbreon
The Who - Wobbuffet
Survivor - Steelix
Beatle - Heracross
Strokes - Smeargle
KISS - Smoochum
Bauhaus - Tyranitar

Beach Boy - Swampert
Oasis - Ludicolo
Muse - Gardevoir

Gorilla-Z - Vigoroth
Echo (and the Bunnymen) - Exploud
Pixie - Sableye
Iron Maiden - Mawile

Madness - Spinda
Paramore - Altaria
Ramone - Cradily
Misfit - Banette
(Michael) Jackson - Absol
Jet - Salamence

Metallica - Metagross

Genesis - Torterra
Prince - Empoleon
Falco - Staraptor
Ray Charles - Luxray

Bee Gees - Vespiquen
The Clash - Electivire
Motörhead - Rotom

Supertramp - Stoutland
LionelRichie - Liepard
Birdy - Pidove
WhiteStripes - Zebstrika
RollingStone - Roggenrola
StevieWonder - Whimsicott
Jim Croce - Krookodile
Eminem - Scraggy
Daft Punk - Scrafty

Modest Mouse - Minccino
Coldplay - Vanilluxe
Tool - Klinklang
U2 - Beheeyem
Flobot - Bisharp
Rammstein - Bouffalant
Adam Ant - Durant
Zombie - Hydreigon

King Leon - Pyroar
Snoop Dog - Furfrou
Cat Stevens - Meowstic
Kurt Cobain - Dragalge
Lumineer - Helioptile
Neil Diamond - Carbink
Slipknot - Goodra

Alicia Keys - Klefki
The Cure - Trevenant
Skrillex - Noivern

Last edited:
When you are sick you really think of quality nicknames. My Blue run is going really slowly (I haven't gotten through Mt. Moon.) and I only have 3 Pokemon.

Sycamore the Bulbasaur. Sycamore is the name of a Venusaur I used in my first Nuzlocke who died tragically against Olympia. I name all male Bulbasaurs I get now Sycamore to remember him.
FlappyBird the Pidgey. It's a bird. They are annoying. I find it everywhere. I named it FlappyBird. Ironically it's one of the best on my tiny team.
Sushi the Magikarp. Self-explanatory.

I do plan on getting an Eevee at some point though, and I'll definitely name it after a Greek/Norse/Egyptian/Roman god depending on if I evolve it to Jolteon/Flareon/Vaporeon.

I've started my Yellow playthrough yesterday.
My starter is Pikachu (naturally), and I gave it a fitting nickname that I'd like to share.

AC/DC

This got me into the mood to name my entire team after musicians and bands. In my search for nicknames to use, I found a ton of ones that I cannot actually use in my team (because they fit a Pokemon unavailable in Yellow or just one I wasn't planning to use in general). I will post those further on in a hide tag. Do note that a lot of the bandnames used aren't from bands that I actually listen to, they just fitted the Pokemon best and were either iconic or easy to use.

First I'll introduce the planned nicknames for the rest of my team:

(Rocky) Votolato
Gorillaz
(Philip) Glass
Jimi (Hendrix)
Madonna

The rest of the music theme nicknames are below (my favourite nicknames have been bolded):

Elvis (Presley) - Blastoise
Paper Kite - Butterfree
(Bob) Marley - Oddish

Dire Straits - Meowth
The Police - Growlithe
Moby - Electrode
Queen - Goldeen
Aerosmith - Aerodactyl
R.E.M. - Snorlax
(David) Bowie - Mew

Ozzy (Osbourne) - Crobat
Jezabel - Bellossom
Nightwish - Umbreon
The Who - Wobbuffet
Survivor - Steelix
Beatle - Heracross
Strokes - Smeargle
KISS - Smoochum
Bauhaus - Tyranitar

Beach Boy - Swampert
Oasis - Ludicolo
Muse - Gardevoir

Gorilla-Z - Vigoroth
Echo (and the Bunnymen) - Exploud
Pixie - Sableye
Iron Maiden - Mawile

Madness - Spinda
Paramore - Altaria
Ramone - Cradily
Misfit - Banette
(Michael) Jackson - Absol
Jet - Salamence

Metallica - Metagross

Genesis - Torterra
Prince - Empoleon
Falco - Staraptor
Ray Charles - Luxray

Bee Gees - Vespiquen
The Clash - Electivire
Motörhead - Rotom

Supertramp - Stoutland
LionelRichie - Liepard
Birdy - Pidove
WhiteStripes - Zebstrika
RollingStone - Roggenrola
StevieWonder - Whimsicott
Jim Croce - Krookodile
Eminem - Scraggy
Daft Punk - Scrafty

Modest Mouse - Minccino
Coldplay - Vanilluxe
Tool - Klinklang
U2 - Beheeyem
Flobot - Bisharp
Rammstein - Bouffalant
Adam Ant - Durant
Zombie - Hydreigon

King Leon - Pyroar
Snoop Dog - Furfrou
Cat Stevens - Meowstic
Kurt Cobain - Dragalge
Lumineer - Helioptile
Neil Diamond - Carbink
Slipknot - Goodra

Alicia Keys - Klefki
The Cure - Trevenant
Skrillex - Noivern
Neat Names, but why is R.E.M a Snorlax and David Bowie a Mew?

Neat Names, but why is R.E.M a Snorlax and David Bowie a Mew?
I haven't put nearly as much time into these nicknames as I've put into the Osomatsu-san sextuplets typology. In essence, these musician inspired nicknames were just casual fun and first associations.

That said, I have put a little more time into David Bowie as Mew though. This has several reasons.
1. Bowie is one of a kind
2. Bowie is a 'legendary' and highly influential musician
3. Despite his Ziggy Stardust stage persona, Bowie is realistic and not too serious
4. However, Bowie isn't happy-go-lucky or 'cute' like for example Jirachi or Victini either
5. Bowie has experimented with style a lot, and has proven to master a lot of different 'moves'
This has lead me to the conclusion that Bowie = Mew.

It's funny how you point out David Bowie and R.E.M. specifically, as these are musicians that I actually listen to a lot. Snorlax doesn't have much to do with R.E.M. as a band, although early R.E.M. albums do have a bit of a 'back to the basics' vibe to them that I can recognize in Snorlax as well. They didn't care about post-punk, they just wanted to make rock like it was back in the early days, and were at the base of the alternative scene transition from post-punk to grunge (Stipe was a good friend of Cobain too). The actual reason I have picked Snorlax for this bandname though, out of all 720 options, is because of the meaning of the abbreviation R.E.M.: Rapid Eye Movement.

Wikipedia:
Rapid eye movement sleep (REM sleep, REMS) is a unique phase of mammalian sleep characterized by random movement of the eyes, low muscle tone throughout the body, and the propensity of the sleeper to dream vividly.

The band picked it randomly from a dictionary when they had to choose their name. Snorlax is the Pokemon most commonly associated with sleeping (and I was planning to use it in the team originally, before I realized that Butterfree was weak as f-ck and had to mix things up a little), so it seemed fitting.

Has anyone thought about Gregor (Samsa) the Kadabra? It's a reference to Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis, as well as Kadabra's FireRed dex entry. What if a depressing human suddenly woke up one morning to realize they were a Kadabra!? I would wonder if the individual would simply lose the will to live after a few months, or use their newly-found powers to their benefit. The person might have been simply cursed with awesome, but didn't know what to do with it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One of jumpluff's old avatars inspired me to name all of my PS! Diancies 'Kaname' after Kaname Madoka (Kaname is the surname in case you don't know Japanese name order). I've been doing this for around three months now and it saves me having to think up a name every time I build a team with Diancie, and it is insanely fitting considering that they are the perfect Pokémon-to-non-Pokémon-anime duo.
Also its fitting due to Madoka becoming a god in the last episode and Diancie is similar to this concept due to being a legendary.
Also I've recently been naming a lot of 'mons after classical music for some reason. Examples of ones I've been using include 'Ave Maria' the Meloetta, 'Mozart's Horn Concerto No. 8' the Exploud, 'Raindrop Prelude' the Politoed, 'Orpheus in the Underworld' the Giratina-O and 'Finlandia' the Weavile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)