Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on chapter 5 right now. And just can't beat it. The royalty I hve to reach and keep safe I can't get to in time..and soldiers fall.

I feel like I need to redo my character and just start over. Focus on leveling ppl better. And stay away from boosting some characters..like the lame archer and the two riders.

This game gives me too many options. I'm such an indecisive person already.

I'm on chapter 5 right now. And just can't beat it. The royalty I hve to reach and keep safe I can't get to in time..and soldiers fall.

I feel like I need to redo my character and just start over. Focus on leveling ppl better. And stay away from boosting some characters..like the lame archer and the two riders.

This game gives me too many options. I'm such an indecisive person already.
Ok, what i do is pair up the avatar with your cleric, who should be ~ level 6-8 by then, to boost her Mag. Then i pair the windmage and the healy horse girl together. Then i use the Cleric's Rescue staff that you get from the paralogue to warp both of them near you and then you play out the mission like normal, just inching forward.

Also unlike other fire emblem games, the early game paladin/great knight isn't useless as you pair Fredrick up with someone to make them Kind of tanky to physical attacks.

Also why you be hatin on frenchie, i love frenchie.

lol.. his text is just annoying.

thanks for the tips, i do need to start using pair-ups more, it really is beneficial. and i heard try avoiding using fredrick as much as possible.. so he doesnt steal so much xp from members who need to grow properly.. which was my mistake last playthrough.

im going with speed and strength this time. magic was cool, but i need to start slicing and dicing..

i also realllllllllllllllllly need to get chrom to become a bigger hitter. every fire emblem i play.. i ignore the lord, because im so busy trying to protect them lol.. so they get underleveled.

Ok I'm in the prologue and I'm trying to go through the game without getting a game over. I'm at the boss and I attacked him with Chrom and "Robin", so he had like two hp left. I wanted to give the experience to Chrom, so I ended my turn. The boss than attacks "Robin" and freaking crits him and I get a game over on the prologue, THE PROLOGUE!:evan:

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Downloaded and played the Etrian Odyssey demo. When you choose your difficulty, if you tap "Yes" to confirm your choice it thinks you chose "No" to go back to the previous selection. If you tap "No" it thinks you chose "Yes" to confirm your selection.

whoops

And then within 15 minutes of startup there's an enemy (possibly extracurricular) that does 10X your HP in one hit. Brilliant.

No thanks.

The forest looks pretty in 3D though.

Buyer's advice?

Hey guys.

I want to buy a B/W2 game and a 3DS right now so that i will also be able to play X/Y when they come out. But I've heard that DS games look blurred on the bigger screen of the 3DS. Sooo... what do you think I should do?
Also, is buying a Pt/SS game worth it? I mean, are there still any online battlers?

Fyi, I don't have any other console/game right now, and I'm mostly interested in wifi battling.

Thanks for reading/answering :)

Tl;dr: DS or 3DS, and is 4th gen still worth it?

Hello, and welcome to Smogon~

You can play DS games on the 3DS at a 1:1 resolution by holding start and select down together while booting (i.e. they'll be shrunk to the normal DS size and you'll just see a black gap otherwise, like so: http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2011/03/small_screen.jpg). Otherwise, they will be a little blurry scaled up. I wouldn't worry about it if you want to play X&Y. There are a lot of other good games on the 3DS, if you're interested in making your purchase more worth it.

I wouldn't recommend buying Platinum or SoulSilver for their online play right now, but they're still fun games ingame.

I've merged this with our 3DS discussion thread, although it does have a DS-related question. In answer to your question, for now I'd just say get a 3DS (XL), as there won't be any relevant games coming out for the DS in the future and the 3DS's DS mode is fine imo. Plus you want to play X&Y and you will probably regret buying a DS in October if you don't have a 3DS by then. :)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
3DS XL and no a 4th gen game isn't worth it.

I play it stretched and don't really mind, but there's a mode that will shrink the game on the screen if it really bothers you. 4th generation games didn't even have random matchmaking so they're pretty useless for your purposes.

Thanks, you are really really helpful... and I didn't know about the 1:1 mode. Doesn't look half bad! But why are you both suggesting the XL model? Does it feature anything besides the bigger screen? Or is the difference in price negligible so, why not?

Edit 2: Just saw the first post.... What do you mean "no charger"? O.o

I meant 3DS or XL, sorry. I don't have an XL so I can't really recommend it first-hand~ You should definitely consider getting an XL before making your purchase though, as it has some key enhancements that make it better than the 3DS for some people. (I have an original 3DS, and I don't really want an XL.)

The size is a matter of preference and may be a deal-breaker for you. What the XL objectively has over the 3DS is an 86% increased battery life (which is very pertinent, as the 3DS has a short battery life... if you go with the original, you might wanna eventually look into one of the third-party battery pack accessories, if you take the 3DS out a lot).

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/features/#/compare

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just about everyone I've talked to that has used both preferred the XL with several saying they just couldn't go back to the 3DS. Apparently it's much more comfortable to hold in addition to the larger screen and better battery life. The price difference isn't much at this point either. I have a 3DS and am perfectly content though.

I would recommend an XL without hesitation. Just know that in some areas you'll need to buy an charger with it as the 3DS XL does not come with one.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Emphasis on "some areas." My 3DS XL came with a charger. Just be sure to check the packaging before purchasing!

ALSO: FE is great but I've been so busy that I'm only on Chapter 7. Currently playing on Normal/Classic because I've never actually played a FE game before! I've only had to reset twice and one of those was because I was unaware magic went through walls. Oof.

Hm. I looked both consoles up at my local retailer. Looks like a 3DS will cost me 174E while the XL plus charger will cost 239E. And they both come with a SD card (2gb for 3DS, 4gb for XL). And they both have the same resolution (wtf, XL?)
So it's definitely going to be a regular 3DS for me. Still, it's a lot of money... so do you think there is anything else I should watch out for?

Hm. I looked both consoles up at my local retailer. Looks like a 3DS will cost me 174E while the XL plus charger will cost 239E. And they both come with a SD card (2gb for 3DS, 4gb for XL). And they both have the same resolution (wtf, XL?)
So it's definitely going to be a regular 3DS for me. Still, it's a lot of money... so do you think there is anything else I should watch out for?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-3D...LDV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360330737&sr=8-2 UK's Amazon, I'm assuming you live in Europe.
£133 for 3DS which is about 154€. Not bad price. You can order it from amazon to almost any country in world :)

Yes, greece actually. And I would rather not buy it from the internet, although the info was interesting.
What I meant was, if I need to watch out for any other features that might differ among models or regions.

looking for carrying case for 3DS XL

I'm looking for a carrying case for my 3DS XL (or other DS systems). I want something with a few compartments (not a ton) and a shoulder strap, but that isn't too big. I want the DS system to be easy to remove, rather than having to undo a zipper and remove it from a velcro compartment like with some cases. Slots for DS game cards are not a requirement since I have game card case that I can just put in one of the compartments (in fact, I'd probably do it this way even with the slots).

I know of the Messenger Bag for Nintendo 3DS and the Universal Transporter Carrying Case for 3DS, DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL, but those are both a bit big for my liking and have too many compartments. The system almost gets "buried" inside them, and I don't see myself needing or using all that space.

I have this case and have gotten got great use out of for years. It's a bit bigger than a fanny pack, it has 2 zippered compartments, and inside the bigger one are 2 "nets" in which DS systems can be placed (it can hold 2 systems, which was a plus for me), along with a velcro "page" with slots for GBA games. I've always just kept my game card case inside the smaller compartment. (I obviously removed the hard blue accessory tray that's visible in the open case in the right-hand side of the image.) I want a new case, but I'd like to find something similar if possible.

I haven't been able to find anything that's quite what I'm looking for yet, but there's got to be something like it somewhere online that I can order. It doesn't even have to be something that's designed for a DS system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
You know, after playing the demo I wasn't too interested in Etrian Odyssey. It was pretty in 3D. And it did look to be a very detailed RPG, which I usually like. But it seemed ridiculously hard (that giant baboon boss wat). But these QR codes apparently work on the demo so I'm going to give it another try.

http://www.popcults.com/etrian-odyssey-iv-qr-codes/

This is pretty cool that they just give random stuff away for free. It could be paid DLC. :/

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Does anybody know if the 3DS' price is gonna drop between now and when X and Y come out? Would it be prudent to wait a little longer before I buy it, or will Nintendo keep it at its current price (~$150ish? im not 100% sure)?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
[youtube]cntz1GyM1Bs[/youtube]

Nintendo Delivers again.

Lots of great footage and info for Luigi's Mansion. Info and footage and dates for Animal Crossing, MH3, Lego City, and Harmo Knights. Unleaked (wow) announcements for Donkey Kong, new Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Mario Golf World Tour, Mario and Donkey Kong Minis, the next Dillon's Rolling Western, and Donkey Kong Country 3D. All scheduled for this year.

Oh and they've got about 8 games on sale in the eshop.

They trolled the Zelda fans pretty hard though with "OH LOOK! FOR THOSE FANS WHO LOVE ZELDA! YOU GET A NEW CHATROOM!" and "OH BY THE WAY I'M READING THIS NEW ZELDA BOOK *winkwink*"

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the fact that we have to wait till june 9 for animal crossing is a true shame :(

I love Animal Crossing, but I just don't know if I can get back into it...spent way too much time on the Gamecube version before realizing there really wasn't any point as no one could ever see my village :(

Kinda turned me off the series...

I love Animal Crossing, but I just don't know if I can get back into it...spent way too much time on the Gamecube version before realizing there really wasn't any point as no one could ever see my village :(

Kinda turned me off the series...
And now with the power of Wifi connectivity...

blitzlefan

shake it off!
HOLY CRAP!!! I have to get a 3DS now! Luigi's Mansion was one of my favorite games back then on the Gamecube! But the late Animal Crossing release date makes me sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)