Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing MH3 demo and tbh, I'm kinda disappointed. The demo sort of caters to people who have played MH before, it pretty much throws you into the action without explaining any controls.(I can not figure out how to use the Gunlance for the life of me) So I had no ideal what I was doing. Then we come to hunting the monsters which I found to be annoying and frustrating. It's probably because I suck at the game, but I've wailed on that stupid monster snow bunny thing for 20 minutes, and it just doesn't die, I don't even want to try the hard quest.

If any of you can offer me any tips, it would fantastic, because as it stands right now, I won't be buying it.
If you go to the menu of the 3DS and highlight the MH3U demo icon, you'll see a button that says "Manual" at the bottom. This will explain the controls and everything. If you open your menu with Start or Select and go to your Items, you can see descriptions of what each item does.

MH is a game that's all about learning how to fight each monster so you can become more and more efficient at taking them down. The best thing you can really do to get better is practice. Learn to dodge the attacks and find openings without leaving yourself open to attacks.

When you're in the same area as the monster, the bottom screen will have an icon of that monster. If you tap it, you'll enable the Target Camera for that monster. When that's enabled, pressing L will center the camera on the monster, which should help immensely with camera control. The circle pad pro isn't supported in the demo, but it will be supported in the full game.

Also something to note: In the demo, you're only given 20 minutes for each quest. In the full game your time limit is almost always 50 minutes.

@mattj honestly I don't really get it either. I guess if you bought the 3DS version and either got a Wii U later, or had one but bought the 3DS version anyways, it'll save you the extra $60 to go online.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Behold these amazing kids in Fire Emblem Awakening

This is on my second playthrough, I haven’t beaten the last few chapters of my first one but I wanted to experiment with the kids and see what evils could be unleashed with Chrom and female Robin.

Chrom and Robin's kids, both have Galeforce which allows you to refresh your unit completely once per turn in you kill something, and let us be honest Morgan and Lucina will be doing a lot of killing. I probably won’t be second sealing them because Lucina can cause enough destruction as a Great Lord and Morgan will enjoy his Grandmaster skills when he can finally put that Rightful King ability to use

It was a pain to get, I used a second seal on Robin and level 10 to Pegasus Knight, then upgraded again to Dark Flier at level 10 and grinded my way to level 15 before the end of chapter 13. It's safe to say I'm not using Robin much more until the last few chapters but these two were more than worth it. At first I hated Masked Marth in the demo cause I thought he sounded like a girl, but then Lucina happened and all was forgiven. With the kids it all depends on what skills you pass onto them and if you are willing to grind up a pre-premote. Although sometimes the amazing supports alone are worth it.

I did some other second seal shenanigans with Lon'qu as well where I turned him into a thief at level 10, then upgraded him again after getting to lv 10 thief into an assassin. This is how thieves ought to be Lonq'ue doesn't take shit from anybody. Swordmaster was great in my first run but soon he’ll be moving through enemies and I’ll certainly pass that onto a kid as well. I’m thinking of marrying him with Cordelia, I might just stick with passing on Relief as that can be very useful at points for going solo. But I’ll probably need to do it soon and Lon’qu is so Gynophobic it might be difficult to pull off before Cordelia gets another skill.

Behold these amazing kids in Fire Emblem Awakening

This is on my second playthrough, I haven’t beaten the last few chapters of my first one but I wanted to experiment with the kids and see what evils could be unleashed with Chrom and female Robin.

Chrom and Robin's kids, both have Galeforce which allows you to refresh your unit completely once per turn in you kill something, and let us be honest Morgan and Lucina will be doing a lot of killing. I probably won’t be second sealing them because Lucina can cause enough destruction as a Great Lord and Morgan will enjoy his Grandmaster skills when he can finally put that Rightful King ability to use

It was a pain to get, I used a second seal on Robin and level 10 to Pegasus Knight, then upgraded again to Dark Flier at level 10 and grinded my way to level 15 before the end of chapter 13. It's safe to say I'm not using Robin much more until the last few chapters but these two were more than worth it. At first I hated Masked Marth in the demo cause I thought he sounded like a girl, but then Lucina happened and all was forgiven. With the kids it all depends on what skills you pass onto them and if you are willing to grind up a pre-premote. Although sometimes the amazing supports alone are worth it.

I did some other second seal shenanigans with Lon'qu as well where I turned him into a thief at level 10, then upgraded him again after getting to lv 10 thief into an assassin. This is how thieves ought to be Lonq'ue doesn't take shit from anybody. Swordmaster was great in my first run but soon he’ll be moving through enemies and I’ll certainly pass that onto a kid as well. I’m thinking of marrying him with Cordelia, I might just stick with passing on Relief as that can be very useful at points for going solo. But I’ll probably need to do it soon and Lon’qu is so Gynophobic it might be difficult to pull off before Cordelia gets another skill.
Yeah, children characters are pretty op because they have huge class sets and sexy base stats, but they require using the mothers and some of their paralogues are frustrating on hard mode (and impossible during main story on lunatic+). Galeforce is easily one of the best skills in the game, competing with rally spectrum, aether, and the dlc only limit breaker (not officially named yet). I'd recommend having lissa and olivia always pass galeforce to their sons as it's the only way for male characters to get it, which makes female avatar probably superior gameplay wise (male exclusive skills are mostly worthless, axefaire is the only decent one).

Is anyone else finding Awakening incredibly easy? I'm on (classic) Hard mode, and I haven't boosted anything using the DLC (but I have done a few random battles) and I've been absolutely cruising through everything with little difficulty. I have a handful of characters that I feel could probably come close to soloing levels like Nephenee from FE10. I'm only on chapter 14, but basically none of the enemies I face require me to put any thought into how I'm going to prepare for them other than avoiding wind mages/archers with my flying units.

I've noticed how the enemy has started having a couple promoted units per level that have substantially higher stats and are actually a threat, maybe in a few chapters they'll become commonplace and the game will be a challenge again.

I will admit to getting a tad overconfident and trying Lunatic, which was definitely a class of its own. Having to abuse pre-promoted units like Frederick in the first chapter made me feel like a whore :(

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I check the 3DS news pretty much every day, so I don't know how I could have missed this, but has anyone else tried the Sonic Racing demo? I had no idea it was supposed to be there, but last night I happened to see it, so I downloaded it.

It looks very pretty, and the way the tracks change on every lap is very interesting, but there are some serious frame rate issues. At the end, when sonic is jumping up and down it looks like a really bad gif on a really slow computer, all choppy. And there were a few moments here and there when it did it during the races too. I've never noticed any framerate issues in MK7.

Are there any good bundle deals still left for the XL? I can only find the mario kart bundle for a little above what they were originally selling it at. With all of these amazing games like fire emblem, and with XY in the near future the 3ds is pretty much mandatory. Hopefully the wii u can pick up the pace.

Are there any good bundle deals still left for the XL? I can only find the mario kart bundle for a little above what they were originally selling it at. With all of these amazing games like fire emblem, and with XY in the near future the 3ds is pretty much mandatory. Hopefully the wii u can pick up the pace.
If youre European then this will be great, I wouldn't hold my breath for it otherwise though

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
l0l that sonic racing game was hilariously terrible. the physics were awful i had no idea what was going on and sometimes my characters made noises like bbllblbpblbplbpbblbhblbl. it was pretty awesome.

If youre European then this will be great, I wouldn't hold my breath for it otherwise though

snip
Yeah, as a PAL gamer and Fire Emblem lover I was really disappointed by this. They took a perfect thing and ruined it. :( It looks so dull and cheap now. The old one looked so beautiful and in keeping with the aesthetics of the series, especially because of that rich, deep blue. The logo looks tacked on the current one and it doesn't stand out against that faded blue at all. If it doesn't bother you, though, by all means~

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi I’m going to post all my main supports and kids from my FE:A

This was a normal run just so I could experiment with kids during my Spring break since I didn’t feel my first run optimized the kids too much.

Chrom: Great Lord, Dual Strike, Charm, Aether, Rightful King,
Avatar: Dark Flier, Veteran, Solidarity, Speed +2, Relief, Galeforce
Lucina: Great Lord, Dual Strike, Charm, Aether, Galeforce, Rightful King
Morgan: Grandmaster, Veteran, Rightful King, Galeforce, Ignis, Rally Spectrum

Behold the great dual dragon family of death, the only full family I got all to level 40. Chrom destroys all and even without Galeforce he doesn’t mind because you can stick him anywhere and everything will die trying to charge him. His support with the avatar is very quick if you abuse their pair up early, pull a quick level 10 Pegasus reclass then level 10 Dark Flier master seal. This took a ton of grinding and was a huge pain to get Avatar to the level before getting Lucina, but completely worth it to have Lucina/Morgan be MVP almost every map. This is how they work when paired up: Kill > Galeforce >Switch and Kill > Galeforce > Kill. I probably could have reclassed Chrom for a final skill but everything worked out fine. This was the most planned out marriage, it sort of had to be.

Virion: Sniper, Hit Rate +20,Skill +2, Bowfaire, Prescience
Olivia: Dancer, Luck +4, Special Dance
Inigo: Bow Knight, Luck+4, Hit Rate +20, Armsthrift, Patience, Bowbreaker

This one sort of happened and worked well enough. Virion might as well be Inigo’s canonical father because both are such excellent womanizers it just works. I probably ought to have waited to pass on Bowfaire to make Inigo the ideal Bow Knight but this was still very good. I’ll probably end up reclassing Olivia next time but there are only so many Dark Fliers I can handle it’s too good I suppose.

Lon’qu: Locktouch, Vantage, Movement +1, Lethality, Pass (also avoid +10)
Cordelia: Falcon Knight, Speed +2, Relief, Raly Speed
Severa: Trickster, Patience, Relief, Pass, Movement +1, Lucky Seven (also Locktouch)

The great Lon’qu was a quick thief reclass at level 10 then upgrade into Assassin at level 10 again and I never looked back. He can lockpick when I need to, or just avoid everyone and pass through enemies to kill bosses and steal loot. Lon’qu enjoys killing and I don’t stop him. I could have easily gone Dark Flier with Cordelia but I think I’ll save that for a harder difficulty. Severa went down a similar path as her father with a quick thief reclass, but I stuck her into Trickster because she is a brat. I planned on getting her the level 15 skill where all terrain is the same movement to make her able to pass through anything but I already beat the game and now don’t have too much reason too. This is the problem with the children I’d say three, maybe four can be implemented timely into an army without huge grinding, and they will have a use. Severa still managed to kick all sorts of butt even at level 9 Trickster.

Miriel: Sorcerer, Magic +2, Focus, Hex, Anathema, Vengence
Ricken : Dark Knight, Magic +2, Focus, Slow Burn, Lifetaker
Laurent: Sage, Magic +2, Focus, Vengence, Lifetaker, Rally Magic

This family best exemplifies my philosophy on kids, make the parents two related classes and pass on good skills to the kid who takes an altogether different class option. This is probably ideal without going over the whole level 40 limit. I still feel a bit dirty about this marriage, and I married Ricken to Nawi in my first playthrough. Good thing Laurent kills everyone. Miriel as another quick second sealer became my go-to dark magic user. Vengence is good and totally reasonable without grinding. Lifetaker is amazing and did take a bit of grinding, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that Dark Knights may not have the capacity to use swords as well as I’d hoped. This might be a breeding thing to do at some point to get someone who can do both reasonably. Laurent was great but did still come late, I think next time I’ll let him become the Dark Knight to get glorious Lifetaker. Also I hate all Rally commands they aren’t so great, I get rid of those first.

Lissa: Sage, Healtouch, Miracle, Rally Magic
Vaike: Warrior, HP +5, Zeal, Rally Strength, Counter
Owain: Hero, Vantage, Counter, HP+5, Zeal, Sol (he also has Rally Magic because making sense don’t matter)

This was weird and probably the least planned out, I just really wanted to see what Owain was like really and I felt bad for shafting Lissa again. I suppose yeah another pass on Gale might have been a good idea but man I am not looking forward to the hard mode run where I have a region of flying black horses. I felt this Owain reclass would work nicely but I really wish I had Mercanary access with this pair, he struggled with axes for ten levels which didn’t help (though protip: glass weapons are really cool for when you are forced to do this but need some extra firepower).

Cherche: Griffin Rider, Strength +2, Tantivy, Deliverer
Gregor: Hero, Armsthrift, Patience, Sol
Gerome: Wyvern Rider, Strength +2, Tanvity, Deliverer, Sol

Poor Gerome I had such Wyvern Lord related plans for you. I’ll make use of Deliverer someday and somehow I promise, perhaps along with Galeforce because everyone needs that! A good example of just having way too many children (need condoms).

Sully: Paladin, Discipline, Outdoor Fighter, Defender, Aegis
Stahl: Great Knight, Discipline, Outdoor Fighter, Luna
Kjelle: Knight, Defense +2, Indoor Fighter, Defender, Luna

I was told this marriage really limited Kjelle’s reclassing options and doesn’t matter because my use of Kjelle was also very limited. The plan was to make her a General and be altogether strong. I’ve lost my patience with how weak both of these parents were though. I suspect my grinding of Chrom and Avatar early game did little to help oh well. Sully should be the only one able to have lesbian S supports and have kids, SHE WOULD MAKE IT HAPPEN SHE IS SULLY.

I still might try out Nawi and Donnel in this run, not that I have ever used Donnel but Nah with that Aptitude skill could create something even Grima would be terrified of facing.

seems like we played the same thing diveman :p i started out hunting the bunny with the new gunlance. i also didnt know how to use it, i could shoot the rounds and its charge up move but i had no idea what it does or if it did anything. im assuming its some kind of close to mid range bullet but i really couldnt do shit with it with in battle vs a agile and fast rabbit.

i was able to fell the monster, in what must have been with seconds left (and if you havent played monster hunter before, this length of time is normal). his snowball attack was very annoying especially when cha cha wasnt around to kick me out of it. otherwise it was a good monster, not especially hard.

what was hard though were the controls, i had a very difficult time with the camera. otherwise it was a pretty normal monster hunter and enjoyed it and expect to play a lot more of the demo later. id recommend people pick up the wii u version though since i would assume the controls to be better. but if you have to pick it up for the 3ds, please use the XL version.
Yeah it just wasn't working for me, I hade a better time with the sword and shield or the dual blades. I've seen people do it in like 5 mins which dumbfounded me. I had troubles with the camera too, but I didn't know about the auto targeting.
If you go to the menu of the 3DS and highlight the MH3U demo icon, you'll see a button that says "Manual" at the bottom. This will explain the controls and everything. If you open your menu with Start or Select and go to your Items, you can see descriptions of what each item does.

MH is a game that's all about learning how to fight each monster so you can become more and more efficient at taking them down. The best thing you can really do to get better is practice. Learn to dodge the attacks and find openings without leaving yourself open to attacks.

When you're in the same area as the monster, the bottom screen will have an icon of that monster. If you tap it, you'll enable the Target Camera for that monster. When that's enabled, pressing L will center the camera on the monster, which should help immensely with camera control. The circle pad pro isn't supported in the demo, but it will be supported in the full game.

Also something to note: In the demo, you're only given 20 minutes for each quest. In the full game your time limit is almost always 50 minutes.

@mattj honestly I don't really get it either. I guess if you bought the 3DS version and either got a Wii U later, or had one but bought the 3DS version anyways, it'll save you the extra $60 to go online.
Thanks, that helps a lot. I feel really stupid about the manual thing, though.

Sadly not, the only FE bundle I can get is with a regular 3DS. Getting the mario kart one, it's probably the best deal available.

If it hasn't been mentioned in the thread, check out club nintendo. You can get a free game by registering a new 3ds xl and luigi's mansion or pokemon mystery dungeon. The free games include mario 3d land and star fox, as well as the new layton game and some other stuff. Probably america only, since they do different rewards for europe and such.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Layell's man-spawn are nothing compared to mine!

Maxed stats, which luckily only required the use of one Spirit Dust and one Goddess Icon...
Skills: All Stats +2 / Galeforce / Swordfaire / Rightful King / Astra
And... +2 move from Boots for a total of 8.
He also has Pass / Lethality / Vantage / Armsthrift / Patience / Avoid +10 that I sometimes switch in.
He just beat Grima single-handidly without taking damage... so...

no limit breaker 0/10
but seriously, I would recommend either replacing rightful king with armsthift (98% so you can abuse forged brave/killer weapons) or all+2 with luna.
I haven't had time to max anyone out because I'm waiting for paragon scrolls to be available (this thursday), and went on to lunatic (+).

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If LB were released, I would use it!!

Rightful King has been helpful with Astra... I'm thinking about replacing All Stats +2 with Lethality. It might be pretty decent with RK.

I'm really enjoying Awakening so far. :)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
You only name you avatar character Shin, also do you have some thing with naming your own characters?

Nice work Stellar, my Chrom/Avatar pair up did a kill -> paragon -> Chrom kill on the last boss as well so no complaints there either!

Also I have to say unless you marry off all of Chrom's other marriage options Chrom*Olivia is a pain so good on that one!

You only name you avatar character Shin, also do you have some thing with naming your own characters?

Nice work Stellar, my Chrom/Avatar pair up did a kill -> paragon -> Chrom kill on the last boss as well so no complaints there either!

Also I have to say unless you marry off all of Chrom's other marriage options Chrom*Olivia is a pain so good on that one!
Well just for me generally in RPGs, I like the customization of being able to name major things what I want. Like Pokemon for example, I always like naming it after myself and then my actual RL rival as to me, it gives it that bit more of a meaning. I mean I'm fine with default names if there's no option usually for different genres, but generally I like the flexability to name major characters in my RPGs out of a personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)