Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tory

Banned deucer.

Due to some confusion in response to my image, my lawyer has informed me that I am legally obligated to explain the joke to anybody who did not understand what I was trying to say, like my friend Xaqwais. See, this image is not as friendly as it may seem. Infact, if you look closely, you'll see that the finger he is holding up is actually his middle finger, a sign meaning "Fuck you" in western culture. I have chosen to use this image to respond to Tory because I think he has a poor taste in video games. Hopefully this has enlightened not only Xaqwais, but any others who have been confused by my perplexing response. Thank you for your time.
If you want to learn how to troll, you are going to have to do better then that. Bashing someone over a video game just makes yourself look like a fucktard.

I never said Yoshi's Island was a terrible game. I just find Super Mario World more unqiue. I was just shocked about how many Yoshi's Island games are they making?

Yoshi's Island: August 15, 1995
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island: September 20, 2002
Yoshi's Island DS: November 13, 2006
Yoshi's Island (Virtual Console): December 16, 2011
Yoshi's Island 3DS: 2013

SNES:

Super Mario World (20.60 million)
Yoshi's Island (4 million)

Super Mario World sold 5x more then Yoshi's Island. And I was wondering... Since they remade so many Yoshi's Island games, why not Super Mario World? Nintendo will make more sales.

Super Mario World was called Super Mario Bros 4 in its original Japanese release. So they technically did remake Super Mario World with the New Super Mario Bros games.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I did it! FINALLY! I got Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
The gameplay itself is pretty great, and I'm liking the graphics. However, I really dislike the fact that it's split into chapters. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but games with chapters really seem to lose replay value, but maybe it's just because I've just started the game and the game is going a little bit slowly, and giving me a negative impression. However, games not split into chapters give you more freedom to explore wherever you want, and though you can do that in Luigi's Mansion, it just doesn't seem like the Gamecube Luigi's Mansion that I liked so much.

All the negativity aside, I'm still extremely excited to have this game, and I'm not going to be sleeping/working very much these next few nights.

Last question: there's a promotion that allows you a free download (your choice of a pre-set list) if you buy a 3DS XL and Luigi's Mansion / Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Does anybody know just how you do this? Because though I don't have a 3DS XL, my friend does. How can he get the free download for me?

Btlizlefan I think you need to register the system on club Nintendo and you'll get a download code, but I'm not completely sure.

I have a question for anyone who owns / understands 3DS and 3DS XL:

Which one is the better system? If you say XL is better (as I have been advised by most people, despite the fact it doesn't fit as easily into a pocket), how much more money is it worth (if I was to buy it used)?

Which one is the better system? If you say XL is better (as I have been advised by most people, despite the fact it doesn't fit as easily into a pocket), how much more money is it worth (if I was to buy it used)?
The XL is infinitely better from the original, both from a design standpoint and from it's functionality. It's definitely worth the extra $30 or so depending on where you pick it up. Prices have been all over the place lately so I'm actually unsure of the MSRP, but definitely get an XL if it's sub $200. Look for bundles as you'll save even more money.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Last question: there's a promotion that allows you a free download (your choice of a pre-set list) if you buy a 3DS XL and Luigi's Mansion / Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Does anybody know just how you do this? Because though I don't have a 3DS XL, my friend does. How can he get the free download for me?
Maybe he could register Luigi's Mansion and give you 3D Land if he already has it. If he didn't register his 3DS with Club Nintendo, you could ask him for that jumbley code that comes with it. Either way, only one copy can be downloaded.

BTW, I finally got a snazzy blue 3DS XL with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon a week or so ago (with free Mario 3D Land). I've been pretty busy with schoolwork and such, so I've only played the first couple of episodes of LM:DM and just got up so world 4 of 3D Land. Both have been a blast so far, except the lack of the triple jump and back flip in the latter makes me sad. I've been thinking about whether I should pick up Ocarina of Time 3D too considering I only have two Legend of Zelda games, one being Twilight Princess. The graphics look a LOT better this time around, and Master Quest intrigues me. I know how the story and gameplay goes by watching Slowflake's LP of it and have zero nostalgia for it, but screw it. I think I owe it to myself to actually play it for once.

The lineup of upcoming games so far looks really solid! It is practically my duty as a Pokémon fan to get Pokémon X or Y. Not much else to say there. By the way, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was that other LoZ game I have. The best thing about that game by far was the infuriating multi-leveled dungeons, and I get the feeling Nintendo wanted to make a 3D sequel for it for a while. The 3D dungeons and overhauled graphics for the upcoming LoZ title are looking good so far, so I'm optimistic about that. Donkey Kong Country Returns for the 3DS? Right on. If I get any version, it will be this one. New Yoshi's Island game!?! OMGOMG!! Yoshi's Island is one of greatest games I've played, certainly my favorite on the SNES. I picked up the DS game last year and it was solid fun, but 100-percenting it without outside assistance is proving to be a real challenge (possibly because I suck at video games). It is frustrating, but addictive. (Calling it Yoshi's Island: The Lost Levels wouldn't be entirely inaccurate.) I'm really curious what the difficulty level of this new entry into the Yoshi's Island "series" will be like. I'm also considering getting the new Fire Emblem game now that Pokémon Conquest piqued my interest in that genre. Heck, even that Animal Crossing game is suggestively beckoning me to give it my money. And don't think I forgot about you, Super Smash Bros. 4! Wow, it sure has been a while since I've been in Nintendo fanboy mode.

I own a 3DS while my brother has a 3DS XL. I have played both and I prefer the former. I like the overall design of the 3DS, that it's smaller and only has one swivel thing whatever thats called and that the system feels more durable than the 3DS XL. To me the 3DS feels natural to hold and the screen is big enough for me to see what is happening in the game. I can look at it for hours at a time and my eyes won't hurt at all. Whereas the 3DS XL imo feels a bit ackward to hold and is a bit too big and I've found that my eyes start to feel sore after looking at it for a while.

Although really it comes down to personal preferances. I have become attatched to the original 3DS and don't see the need to upgrade to the 3DS XL when my old one is still in a perfectly good condition -it hardly has a scratch. That and I've never bothered with the XL versions. So it's up to you really and what you want to get out of it.

So, does anyone here have Soul Hackers? I was thinking about getting it but I've heard mixed reviews and it seems like a lesser version of Etrian Odyssey IV, which I also have yet to play.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
All right. Just finished Luigi's Mansion today. It was excellent. Though it started off slowly, it got really good near the end and everybody is playing on my 3DS during class. :P I'm going to take some time and attempt to find all the Boos in every level when I have time. The game was really good, especially some of the puzzles; the endless staircase took me forever until I discovered the secret.

Lastly, yeah, my friend helped me get the Mario 3D land download! :)

I also just beat Luigi's Mansion. It was really fun (and held so much more meaning because I just beat Luigi's first Mansion game a weekend or so ago). That final mansion was a pretty fitting final area, and the boss battles were really cool!

If anybody wants to do some Scarescraper, let me know or something. It's hard to get good Scarescraper games going on global random, and people drop out all the time.

Gotta get that ghost vacuuming fix, you know.

I also beat the Professor Layton game that was offered for free with a purchase of Luigi's Mansion, and as always I enjoyed it immensely. Sometimes I don't have the mindset to solve the puzzles because I really, really want to know what happens next. The story made me cry again, as usual. As all Layton games do.

Is it just me or the new LTTP nor the YI is exciting me in any way

I mean it's so freaking weird because I love both LTTP and YI on SNES, but I'm just seriously not getting these new releases and Nintendo so suddenly obsessing over old Super Nintendo games

The LTTP sequel just confused me with visuals, it's trying to be too many things at once: fanservice, chibi, realistic... and the wall-melding ability seems like the most random power in Zelda history, especially considering why it would even be in a game like this.

The YI sequel just looks... disgusting, frankly. The original game's gorgeous (to this day) hand-drawn visuals along with its pop-up book nature with a joyful aesthetic just made a majority of the game to me, along with the super-tight controls and fantastic music. In what we've seen so far, Yoshi looks sluggish as hell, and I'm hating the visuals. Sure, they're in reference to the cutscenes of the original game, but I didn't want to see an entire GAME about them, geez.

The new Mario & Luigi game however... oh man, I can't wait for that. The aesthetics and visuals so far look drop-dead gorgeous, it seems to have as much creativity and fun as the other installments, and considering the M&L series is one of my favorite in gaming history, it's no wonder why I'm so excited for this.

Dream Team and X&Y are my 3DS must-buys for now, if YI or LTTP look better as time goes on, I might consider picking them up.

EDIT: Also, why the hell are they making a new Yoshi's Island game this year when they already announced Yarn Yoshi for the Wii U, I mean guys seriously, two Yoshi games a year is stupid.

Tory

Banned deucer.
Is it just me or the new LTTP nor the YI is exciting me in any way

I mean it's so freaking weird because I love both LTTP and YI on SNES, but I'm just seriously not getting these new releases and Nintendo so suddenly obsessing over old Super Nintendo games

The LTTP sequel just confused me with visuals, it's trying to be too many things at once: fanservice, chibi, realistic... and the wall-melding ability seems like the most random power in Zelda history, especially considering why it would even be in a game like this.

The YI sequel just looks... disgusting, frankly. The original game's gorgeous (to this day) hand-drawn visuals along with its pop-up book nature with a joyful aesthetic just made a majority of the game to me, along with the super-tight controls and fantastic music. In what we've seen so far, Yoshi looks sluggish as hell, and I'm hating the visuals. Sure, they're in reference to the cutscenes of the original game, but I didn't want to see an entire GAME about them, geez.

The new Mario & Luigi game however... oh man, I can't wait for that. The aesthetics and visuals so far look drop-dead gorgeous, it seems to have as much creativity and fun as the other installments, and considering the M&L series is one of my favorite in gaming history, it's no wonder why I'm so excited for this.

Dream Team and X&Y are my 3DS must-buys for now, if YI or LTTP look better as time goes on, I might consider picking them up.

EDIT: Also, why the hell are they making a new Yoshi's Island game this year when they already announced Yarn Yoshi for the Wii U, I mean guys seriously, two Yoshi games a year is stupid.
QTF.

(2003) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
(2005) Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
(2009) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
(2013) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

I find these games a better improvement to the Paper Mario series. I can't wait fo the next Mario & Luigi game.

Screenshots: http://www.nintendolife.com/games/3ds/mario_and_luigi_dream_team/screenshots

By the way, why is dream team is releasing in EU, AU, & JP in July. But August in US? WTF?

anyone ever look into recording software for 3DS? i know there's someone that can mod (original) 3DS but i don't know if it's worth it... would be nice for uploading onto Youtube

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been extremely excited more than anyone about Fire Emblem: Awakening and bought it almost on day 1. But I haven't made it further than chapter 4 ever since I bought it. It's weird. I love Fire Emblem. I love Awakening. I've been excited as fuck to get it but I have absolutely no urge to play it.

Same goes to Luigi's Mansion, except I was actually disappointed by it and that's probably the reason.

Also, that 3DS Zelda footage kicks ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)