Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this is totally awesome and I'm stoked. I knew what I was getting into as an early adopter, and I've gotten a shit ton of enjoyment out of shadow wars, a link to the past, and Shantae, now I get tons of games that I missed out for not having an NES, and some of my favorite GBA games all on my machine at the same time.

Time for a new SD card!

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I already own a 3DS and I do not feel shafted at all. In fact, I applaud Nintendo for having actual customer service. Lesser companies would have just said, fuck the early adopters. I also wasn't into the gaming scene until recently and was looking into purchasing a GBA for stuff like Metroid Fusion, and this is a really great opportunity. Not to say that Nintendo is a great company, because they have made shoddy moves in the past regarding their customers (Operation Rainfall, Wii having a joke of a third party support), this is a step in the right direction.
This sums up exactly how I feel. Although I paid the "Australian" launch price, I don't feel I have been screwed over by this price drop (regardless of the OP saying I should feel screwed over). Meanwhile, I've been having a great time with zelda and pokedex 3D and now I'm being treated with 20 free games!

Still, this is an obvious stunt by nintendo to try boost sales. I'm curious as to whether it will work out. Only time will tell I guess.

Still, this is an obvious stunt by nintendo to try boost sales. I'm curious as to whether it will work out. Only time will tell I guess.
Of course it's a stunt to boost sales, and I'm pretty sure it will work. I think for a lot of people the $250 price is the biggest obstacle to buy it, and now it drops to $170 the price is more reasonable. For $250 you can buy a Wii and a load of games nowadays, it's not more than logic that the price would drop once the initial buyers got it full-price.

I do applaud Nintendo on giving away those games to early buyers, though.

I'm still not going to buy one. Nice try Nintendo! I tried one out at Gamestop or Wal-Mart, I forget which, and I remember the "3D" look of it was really annoying and nauseating to me. Maybe it was just the game that was on there (some flying game, I think it was Mario themed, but I'm probably wrong). I just didn't care for it at all and to be honest I don't think 3D is worth all that much instead of just buying a used DS Lite or something.

I'm still not going to buy one. Nice try Nintendo! I tried one out at Gamestop or Wal-Mart, I forget which, and I remember the "3D" look of it was really annoying and nauseating to me. Maybe it was just the game that was on there (some flying game, I think it was Mario themed, but I'm probably wrong). I just didn't care for it at all and to be honest I don't think 3D is worth all that much instead of just buying a used DS Lite or something.
I believe that's Pilotwings Resort you played there.

But listen, dont let the first impression keep you down. The first time I tried it I played Pro Evolution Soccer 3D and its TERRIBLE; the effect made me feel awkward too, but that's because the stupid lady put the effect on maximum. If you keep it at low/medium levels like I do (it depends on how far away from your eyes you keep the 3DS), you'll quickly get used to it. Try a good game for once (aka OoT since its the only good title so far) and you'll notice the difference.

This sums up exactly how I feel. Although I paid the "Australian" launch price, I don't feel I have been screwed over by this price drop (regardless of the OP saying I should feel screwed over). Meanwhile, I've been having a great time with zelda and pokedex 3D and now I'm being treated with 20 free games!

I feel screwed over by the release price, not by the price drop. The Australian RRP was a disgrace. However, I chose to pay it, and I was not forced to. The price drop is a good thing and sensible.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think 3D is worth all that much instead of just buying a used DS Lite or something.
I think this is the greater issue with the 3DS. They released so many models that people think it's a variation of the DS. This is the successor to the DS line. It is not a just another model refresh. 3DS is to DS as DS is to GBA.

I got especially fleeced because I bought the thing at launch and I've already played most of those games

The others I have no interest in at all -_-

breh

強いだね
although I pity that I miss GBA warioware, that's really... about all I miss, TBH. I really don't want to buy a 3DS yet since neither mario games are out and the vc is still as barren as ever. I don't think they've learned their lesson with the wii's vc for some reason.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unless you magically expect another price drop this year. So if you're going to get one for Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land, then now is the best time to buy so you can get the 20 games + price protect for the price drop.

i bought my 3ds a week after launch and while i'm the tiniest bit upset, i'm more okay with this than i am mad about it because of this little line right here:

By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.
i'm a little bit of a bitch for exclusivity

also, RE all the 3d eye complaints: i had this problem too for awhile but the slider IS adjustable and there is no reason you can't find a depth that won't hurt your eyes for a few hours unless you actually have vision problems. plus, after a few days of 'training' your eyes, so to speak, your eyes get used to the maximum depth.

i have nothing against people who can only use 2D though, my girlfriend is blind in one eye and i have to play OoT in 2D when she wants to watch

Firestorm

I'm really hoping for Pokemon Emerald (skipped ADV), Mario Tennis (loved the GBC game, want to play the GBA one if it's an RPG as well), and Advance Wars (most replayable GBA title ever!) to be part of the 5 unrevealed GBA games.

I'm really hoping for Pokemon Emerald (skipped ADV), Mario Tennis (loved the GBC game, want to play the GBA one if it's an RPG as well), and Advance Wars (most replayable GBA title ever!) to be part of the 5 unrevealed GBA games.
I never played Mario Tennis nor Advance Wars, but I heard they are good, so those are good ones to hope for.

And Emerald is awesome so yeah

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Regarding the 3D effect:

I have no idea why Nintendo recommends keeping the slider at maximum when possible, because very few games are served well by that level of 3D depth. I find that keep the slider on medium or medium-low is ideal, because it allows you to move the 3DS without the effect spoiling as easily, and it does not hurt your eyes.

And guys, don't let your first impression throw you off the effect. It took me about a week to get used to the 3D, after which it's been really cool (although Ocarina of Time and Pilotwings are the only games where it's actually useful).

Regarding the possible games:

It seems that they're focusing on core franchises and making sure the games are diverse in genre, so I am entirely expecting something like Mario and Luigi (!!) or a Kirby game. We're already getting Four Swords for free, so I don't think they'd include another GBA Zelda game...Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are a possibility, but Nintendo might think they're too niche.

What I'm hoping is that the 5 games they talked about weren't the only ones worth mentioning, with the rest being crap. Actually, knowing Nintendo, they're probably gauging the response to the games they released to determine if giving away more good games is warranted or if they can just get away with giving us crap for the remaining games.

Even if I was motivated by the exclusive content and/or more than a single game on the 3DS, I don't think I can execute the price-protection plan; can't find a single store in Australia that has that policy.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I feel screwed over by the release price, not by the price drop. The Australian RRP was a disgrace. However, I chose to pay it, and I was not forced to. The price drop is a good thing and sensible.
Well yeah the price drop was a good thing. I wasn't trying to say that it was shit that they dropped the price so soon. I was just saying that I didn't care that I paid the full release price, as needlessly high as it was. It's definitely been worth it (at least I think so anyway, though I'm sure plenty of others might think differently).

I hope this isn't a dumb question but does anyone know if there is any way of checking if you successfully signed up to the ambassador program? I did everything I was supposed to (updated the system and connected to the eshop), so am I just supposed to assume that it worked? Or was I supposed to receive some message from nintendo that I'm signed up? I would hate to find out too late that I did something wrong and miss out on the free stuff!

I think this is the greater issue with the 3DS. They released so many models that people think it's a variation of the DS. This is the successor to the DS line. It is not a just another model refresh. 3DS is to DS as DS is to GBA.
Oh. That kind of sucks, because I'm really over the whole "3D craze."

Side note: I really wish Microsoft (or Sony I guess, I'm not a PS3 owner so idc) would do these type of customer service deals.

Pretty glad I made the decision to wait for more games to come out, I wasn't really expecting a price drop so early..

And only a few days after my birthday, so I might actually consider getting one now.

3DS NES games will include multiplayer following an update

Essentiall when the NES games eventually come out for purchase for late adopters this year, they'll have multiplayer and you will be able to update.

Pretty cool, and while not at all exclusive to people who have this promotion, I'm guessing some of the other games will be multiplayer as well, and in the future this could lead to great things as well.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bought my 3DS today, although no games for it yet, I’ll probably wait until my rebate (which will probably be in store credit, the curs!).

Anyone have any game suggestions that aren't ports of existing games on consoles?

EDIT: I think I'll be going with Monkey Ball 3DS, looks to be good. Also a few download titles look promising.

I can’t wait for the Toronto meetup to streetpass with all you smogoners.

I’m going to predict/wishlist which games are going to come out free for the program. I’m basing most of the NES ones off of Animal Crossing and what’s good in the Wii virtual console, and the gba games on what is likely.

NES
-Clu Clu Land (hopefully the Deluxe version, although difference is minimal)
-Wario's Woods (oh please yes)
-Punch-Out!!
-Star Tropics
-Kid Icarus

GBA
-Zelda Minish Cap
-Fire Emblem
-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
-Advance Wars (hopefully 2)
-Kirby and the Crystal Shards

I doubt Nintendo will put many multiplayer games, but we could get surprised. I seriously doubt Pokemon will get in unless it’s a spin-off because the appeal is really in the different versions, and the 3DS Pokedex is already a little something for Pokemon fans.

Oh and Release Schedule:

1. Star Fox 3D - September 9th, 2011
  2. Super Mario 3D Land - November 2011
  3. Mario Kart 7 - December 2011
  4. Kid Icarus Uprising - Holiday
This is interesting... I have an official GameStop release date sheet and it
has the following release dates on it: (Mind you, this is from a german GameStop!)

Kid Icarus Uprising: November 11th, 2011
Super Mario 3D Land: January 15th, 2012
Mario Kart 7 (named "3DS Mario Kart" on my sheet): October 16th, 2011 (!)
Star Fox 64 3D: September 9th, 2011

The price drop is an absolute kick in the balls. Great job, Nintendo, I put my
3DS on eBay today because the blurryness when it displays old DS games
just sucks... I hope this doesn't spread too wide before somebody buys it
for the 215€ I put it in for.

What a great day.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The price drop is an absolute kick in the balls. Great job, Nintendo, I put my
3DS on eBay today because the blurryness when it displays old DS games
just sucks... I hope this doesn't spread too wide before somebody buys it
for the 215€ I put it in for.

What a great day.
just so you know you can hold down select or start while the game loads to have it in original res (the screen looks smaller because the 3ds has more pixels on the screen than the ds, but it isn't blurry. this is how I prefer to play it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)