Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I am really looking forward to Dillon'd Rolling Western. I absolutely absolutely absolutely absoLUTEly enjoyed rolling all over the place as Goron-Link in MM. From what I've watched and read it reminds me a lot of that. Seems like you're defending a western style town from a bunch of rock monsters and you roll all over the place. Definitely purchasing.

And I'm also really excited for Kid Icarus Uprising. I swear the first time I saw any footage I was like "Oh! That's a very nice cutsce...ohgoditsgameplayshhhhhhhhhhi!!!" Looks like Zelda with wings. Looks like you get several unique items and there is at least some degree of dungeon crawling/exploration. I loved the old NES and GB games too. I'm not really a huge fan or rail shooting though, but the visuals are pretty at least so I'm sure it'll get me by until

The last thing I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally looking forward to (read "drooling for") is the next hand held Zelda. But that's going to be a while off.

I bought a Wii pretty soon after it came out because I wanted to be able to play the next Zelda the DAY it came out... yeah... that was like 4 years later. I don't regret it because I watch Netflix on / play games on my wii literally every day, but it was a real bummer spending that much money on a system and having to wait years for the main game I bought it for. I don't have all the money in the world, so I'm going to focus on the 3DS as my console of choice instead of rushing out to buy a WiiU next year. It has more than enough stuff out now and coming out soon to keep me occupied until ZeldaU.

[edit]
Yeah, if you guys don't have Pushmo yet you need to download it. This game is intensely fun and relaxing. The first 40 or so puzzles are all fairly easy introductions to the game in general, but after that many of them can really leave you scratching your head. With 200+ puzzles as well as well as as many downloadable puzzles as people can imagine its definitely worth the 700 points.

Also, thanks Cubed for the two great puzzles!

Guys the GBA games are out for ambassadors! I'm downloading them now, here's a list:

F-Zero Maximum Velocity Haven't played it as much as the others, but seems pretty fun.
Mario Kart Super Circuit Nice practise for MK7 ;)
Wario Land 4 Barely played.
Mario Advance 3 Yoshi's Island is amazing. Definetely the most challenging/rewarding game of the bunch.
Metroid Fusion Love this game. Call me crazy, but I never had played a 2D Metroid game, and this was an great introduction.
WarioWare Inc Minigame Mania Now, this was the game that I had the least expectations, I thought that this game was just gonna be a very simple minigame collection. Boy was I wrong. Not as rewarding as YI, but equally as challenging. Some minigames had me laughing my head off. Definetely the easiest game to pick up and play.
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror At first, I didn't get the mechanics, but then, I realized that the Metroid style kirby gameplay worked very well.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Really good game, and getting gold stars in every level was very challenging.
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Never played a FE game before, and, I gotta say, I really, really like this game. The mix of strategy with a great story was amazing, definetely a great introduction.
The Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap What can I say? I'ts Zelda.

Have fun!!

Really looking forward to the next smash installment. It's gonna be on both the WiiU and 3DS. Should I get it for one or both systems? XD

I got a 3DS for christmas and LoZ: OoT3D. So far I'm liking the game. I never got the chance to play and from what I hear, it's one of the best Zelda games to be a Zelda game. (I personally prefer Wind Waker myself and from what I hear, the most recent game, Skyward Sword, is actually better.) Overall I like it.

What game a really wanna get for the 3DS is Sonic Generations. Though the game looks kinda short, WHO CARES it's a Sonic Game. Everybody loves the blue blur.

Eh, I just hope that Metaknight wouldn't be as annoying in the next SSB, or at least remove him and replace him with something.
Hahahaha, I wouldn't worry about that. For perspective, Ness and Pikachu were amazing in SSB64 (and promptly became terrible and "okay" in Melee, respectively). Fox, Sheik and Jigglypuff were top in Melee, and Captain Falcon was one of the better characters too. Unless they phone things in big time, there will big enough changes in movesets and the game engine that balance will be considerably different.

That being said, Meta Knight seems like one of "those characters" that just always has the tools to be threatening on a fundamental level. Seems difficult to imagine him not being a good character, especially if they end up turning the knockback and gravity dials closer to where Melee was.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
If you like puzzle-platformers download Pushmo.

Its a series of like 250++ tower puzzles. Each one is sort of like the platforming sections of mario (jumping from platform to platform, even with warp pipes), but there are no enemies and you actually have to build/pull out/discover each platform to get to the top of the tower. Imagine "Mario meets Jenga".

On top of the 200whatever puzzles that come with the game you can make and share your own and download user created puzzles off the internet.

I've put hours into it and still have 150 or so to go, plus whatever I can find on the internet. Its been a ton of at the same time relaxing AND head-scratching fun! Its easily worth the 7$.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're a fan of the main Nintendo franchises, you can't go far wrong with:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7

I'm not sure about prices where you live, but in England we can generally find the top 3DS games for about £30 online. Zelda is down to £20 now so it might have dropped elsewhere in the world too. I've heard good things about Starfox 64 3D, but I'm yet to play it myself - the only complaint I've heard is that it should have had online to make the multiplayer worthwhile. That's down to £15 in England now too - so a bit of a steal if you can find it that cheap.

I've also heard good things about games like Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, and Pilotwings - all of which can be found for £10-15 in England already. But again, these are games I haven't really played much (just a 10 minute cameo on a friends game). Cave Story is another game I've never played but I haven't heard a bad word about it and the reviews are decent. In regards to my personal preference, I'll probably be looking into Sonic Generations as well, despite hearing it's too short of a game, it's not so expensive now either.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just got Mario Kart 7, and in my opinion its probably the best Mario kart so far. The number of characters is perfect (though I definitely miss dry bones), and save for Rosalina's course there's really not a bad track in the game.

Also I <3 the tanooki item

Hahahaha, I wouldn't worry about that. For perspective, Ness and Pikachu were amazing in SSB64 (and promptly became terrible and "okay" in Melee, respectively). Fox, Sheik and Jigglypuff were top in Melee, and Captain Falcon was one of the better characters too. Unless they phone things in big time, there will big enough changes in movesets and the game engine that balance will be considerably different.

That being said, Meta Knight seems like one of "those characters" that just always has the tools to be threatening on a fundamental level. Seems difficult to imagine him not being a good character, especially if they end up turning the knockback and gravity dials closer to where Melee was.
Being a Melee player I just wanna see Falcon actually be good this time haha, he's just awful in brawl :/

So far the obvious must haves are 3D Land, MK7, and Ocarina of Time. I haven't bought anything on the eshop yet and I'm really hoping at some point games like RBY will be available; that would be awesome. The new Pokemon game they announced seems pretty weird but it's unique and will bring something new to the franchise.

As mentioned by others Kid Icarus: Uprising looks very good as well.

Yay, I got a 3DS for Christmas :D

So far all I've done on it was play OoT (That game is so amazing...) but I'm going to look at the eShop soon. I also plan on buying MK7 too, but by the time I'll have saved up the money, some new games may have been released :P

Any recommendations from the eShop? From what I've read on this thread, Pushmo is awesome so I might get that.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I had some free time the other day so I went through literally every downloadable in the eshop, filled out my wishlist and downloaded a few.

My favorite (not 4 swords not pushmo) ones that I've downloaded so far are:
  • Super Mario Land 2 (easily the funnest hand held mario i even think its better than some of the console versions)
  • Electric Guitar Abylight (if you actually know how to play a real guitar with some practice this seriously can become a pocket sized guitar to fool around with in your spare time when you can't carry a guitar with you)
  • Calculator Cinemax (seriously $1.99 for a fully functional scientific calculator)
The top few that are still on my wishlist are:
  • Rayman (it was a solid game when it first came out and it still is today)
  • Earthworm Jim (this was game was decades ahead of its time)
  • 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (an amazing game in monochrome I can't wait to play through it in brilliant colorful 3D)

Also, just a note to anyone here who has toddlers, SWEET LORD download HelloKids - Vol. 1 and Did It Myself ABC 123!! My wife spent a long time at various doctors offices today so I had to keep my 4 year old occupied in the lobby for hours on end. Both of these games were life savers. Normally, she would get too kooped up and eventually start throwing a fit, but both of these games with their alphabet, number, shapes, music and coloring games (not to mention Hello Kids' 150 coloring book pictures) kept her attention for a good chunk of the time. Any parent knows that keeping a 4 year old's attention for any amount of time is something significant. And they only cost 2$ each!!!

breh

強いだね
Just got Mario Kart 7, and in my opinion its probably the best Mario kart so far. The number of characters is perfect (though I definitely miss dry bones), and save for Rosalina's course there's really not a bad track in the game.

trust me, your opinions will change after playing the game a bit. the tanooki tail is, IMO, one of the most useless items in the game. if you don't get a shell/banana in first place or a red shell/mushroom in second and you get this damn thing instead, it's usually useless because you're seldom close to the person you're trailing/are being trailed by. That it doesn't expire until after you miss an itembox makes it extremely frustrating.

on the topic of tracks, rosalina's ice world is not so bad; just take the lower path lap 1 (there's 4 coins down there) and you will generally win if you're good at drifting. the worst track in the game is, no doubt, rainbow road. you will fall off and there are nowhere near enough coins to make it easy for you to regain your position. easily my least favorite.

also, water levels in a general sense are incredibly frustrating (bar wario shipyard) until you figure out their layouts, at which point they lose a lot of their difficulties.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
trust me, your opinions will change after playing the game a bit. the tanooki tail is, IMO, one of the most useless items in the game. if you don't get a shell/banana in first place or a red shell/mushroom in second and you get this damn thing instead, it's usually useless because you're seldom close to the person you're trailing/are being trailed by. That it doesn't expire until after you miss an itembox makes it extremely frustrating.
Although I agree that the tail sucks if you are in second, I don't think the Tanooki is useless if you are in first, since it protects against everything except blue shells. I like to just hold onto it until a red shell is coming, and then I use it to prevent getting hit (the tail disappears if you let the shell hit you so I prefer to spin the tail to get rid of the shell).

The Tanooki is also amazing in battles, especially on the smaller courses. Seriously if you get this thing all you have to do is shoot through a group of opponents and spam the spin. You're likely to get at least one point, and sometimes more!

breh

強いだね
I haven't played as many battles so I can't say much on that, but I tend to activate the tail just as I get it so I have to put up with it for less time. It seems like I always get red shelled just as it wears off, though. In any case, it deprives you of a usable item in first place, especially the godly triple banana peel. I agree that it definitely has its uses when in large groups, though.

Also, we need a 3DS friendcodes thread. Badly.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's not that Rosalina's ice world is hard, it's that I detest ice physics in general. Rainbow road is tricky, but it's by and far the best-looking rainbow road.

Also, I enjoy the Wuhu-levels (loop moreso than the others), I think 3 of them was overkill.

Tanooki tail is decent in second if the top 3 or 4 racers are in a tight-knit pack, which often happens to me in grand prix. A couple of tailspins later and you're cruising along in first. It's definitely amazing in battles, though I think that star and triple red shells still outclass it there.

I like the new levels a lot, but I will never forgive them for messing up the underwater tunnel in Koopa Cape. I didn't want it to be underwater, I wanted my nice electrical bars that zapped everything and saved me from red shells from time to time.

It's also pretty nice how the blue shell flies along the ground now, it's actually a decent weapon with all things considered. Also, has anyone else noticed that the lightning seems to last a lot shorter than it used to? Maybe I'm just out of practice but it seems pretty short now.

Kinda curios, is hacking on mk7 wifi anywhere as near as bad as mkwii? I got it for Christmas but won't bother with wifi until I unlock all the characters and stuff.

breh

強いだね
I haven't seen any hackers (which is odd), but I have seen maka wuhuers, which are arguably worse. They will choose the goddamn course until they get it (and after they get it). They do not play for fun, only to ruin the fun of others. Getting into rooms without them is a great blessing. You know a room will be good when you see only question marks.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti

what the hell do you mean there's no DB? ive been usin that guy since MKDS why was he removed theres no reason to

i teared up a bit readin this not really but kinda

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Meh who cares about Maku Wuhu (Wuhu Mountain Loop) cheaters? Let them cheat if they want. I'll just drive the course properly and not care what position I get. Plus I can always just leave the room if it gets really annoying (as in lots of people in the room spamming it and always getting to do it).

Actually has anyone tried blocking the shortcut with their kart? I used to do that all the time with the Grumble Volcano shortcut in MKW and it is simply hilarious. I wonder if it's possible to do the same thing for Maku Wuhu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)