Noctowl (Update)

Noctowl's current analysis probably hasn't been touched since before my join date, although I can't say I blame anyone, as Noctowl is a pretty forgettable NU. Still, the current analysis is horrible and anything would be better than what it has now, plus Noctowl is usable in UU for some specific reasons, so I'll go ahead.
I haven't written an analysis in over a year (mainly updating a NU for practice for future analyses), so bear with me if some things are wrong.

Planned Changes
-Merge both sets into one general purpose set, they're super- similar anyway and it's the best Noctowl can do.
-Write an Overview, Team Options, and Other Options sections.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/noctowl

[Overview]

-Reasons why Noctowl isn't so great: Barren movepool, weak offensively, not so great typing, poor physical defense.
-Redeeming qualitites: Great 100/ 97 stats make a decent special wall, Insomnia and phazing. Can be used to counter specific pokemon and can work well when backed with some team support on a stall team leaves it not entirely outclassed, but still struggling to find a niche.

[SET]
name:Special Wall
move1:Whirlwind
move2:Roost
move3:Night Shade
move4:Toxic / Reflect / Psycho Shift
item:Leftovers
ability:Insomnia
nature:Calm
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Def

- 100/ 97 are good stats for taking Special hits, so the set it tailored for that use.
-Whirlwind for phazing, Roost for reliable recovery and Night Shade for some steady damage.
-Last slot is pure opinion: Noctowl can use Toxic decently for some extra damage, Reflect cushions Noctowl's poor Defense and can help out the rest of the team, and Psycho Shift throws back status so you aren't easily crippled by Toxic or any other status (except Sleep, obviously).
-Insomnia is pretty unique, and lets it switch into Sleep making it one of the best switches into Venusaur and Venomoth, not being 2KO'd most of the time by either as well.
-Calm and max HP and SpD to take special hits.
-Pairs well with Milotic, since Milotic draws in Venusaur easily and Noctowl can switch in and phaze it away. Likewise, Noctowl is setup bait for Rhyperior and Aggron, who Milotic can take of with relative ease.
-Works best with a spinner, to reduce SR damage.
-Spikes + SR are good to take advantage of the phazing.

[Team Options]

- A spinner is great to to consistently continue to switch in Noctowl. Hitmontop and Donphan works best since they resist Rock.
-Can be a buffer special wall along with Milotic and Chansey, handling some things they struggle against (Venusaur, SubSeeders, Mismagius).

[Optional Changes]

-Hypnosis, Featherdance, Tailwind.
-Light Clay.
-Flame Orb + Psycho Shift is a makeshift WoW, but not a great idea.
-Air Slash or Heat Wave if you want to attack, but they don't do much really.
-Stick to HP and Special Defense, its Defense is unsalvageable.

[Counters]

-Taunt from almost any Pokemon ruins you.
-Any physical attack not named Shadow Claw or Earthquake breaks you.
-Rhyperior and Aggron beat you easily.
-Setting up might be hard because of Whirlwind, but most physical attacks will do you in.

... Almost wrote the whole analysis in the skeleton 0.o

I took a look into Noctowl movepool... it seems it doesn't get anything worthwhile other than this O_o

Looks good.

Pretty good update, considering this is definitely Noctowl's best set. Just a couple notes that you might want to put on OC: With Max HP, Noctowl can set up 101-HP Substitutes. Also, you can mention that Noctowl learns Agility, so someone can use an attacking Noctowl set of Agility/Heat Wave/Shadow Ball/Air Slash or something like that if they so desire. However, I'm betting that this would fail miserably due to Noctowl's Physical frailness, as well as not having a great Special Attack stat, but it is an option for those who actually want to try an attacking Noctowl (For whoever decides to do my suggestion...good luck). I hope I helped!

Pretty good update, considering this is definitely Noctowl's best set. Just a couple notes that you might want to put on OC: With Max HP, Noctowl can set up 101-HP Substitutes. Also, you can mention that Noctowl learns Agility, so someone can use an attacking Noctowl set of Agility/Heat Wave/Shadow Ball/Air Slash or something like that if they so desire. However, I'm betting that this would fail miserably due to Noctowl's Physical frailness, as well as not having a great Special Attack stat, but it is an option for those who actually want to try an attacking Noctowl (For whoever decides to do my suggestion...good luck). I hope I helped!
Attacking Noctowl is just plain horrible, I'd mention that it can use Agility, but don't use it.
Changed the 4 Spe EVs to Def

IMO i think hypnosis should be one of the main options in the last slot since its one of the only things that differentiates Noctowl from other special walls despite its middling accuracy.

I'm agreeing with calentaros here. Also, about your opinion concerning attacking Noctowl:
Attacking Noctowl is just plain horrible, I'd mention that it can use Agility, but don't use it.
What I said when I proposed the attacking Noctowl set is that they can use it if they want, but I also stated that it would most likely fail miserably. Just clarifying a misunderstanding.

Honestly I think Psycho Shift is more valuable than Toxic. Toxic is usually for crippling walls and stopping things that do slow setup. However, you already have Whirlwind to pHaze setup users, and many walls use status themselves, so in those cases you can still cripple them with Psycho Shift. You may do worse vs. the standard Milotic, but if you have any hazards they still won't enjoy giving you a free shuffle. Plus, it's relatively unique to Noctowl. I'd say both it and Reflect go better than Toxic. Just 2 cents.

Also, I wouldn't use Milotic as a catch-all teammate for Aggron. Any non sub-punch version can actually outspeed and 2HKO.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Actually, Reflect already helps (more) plus he has Whirlwind to force switches already lol.

Hypnosis is mentioned in OC; I'm fine with it either there or in AC. Don't bother slashing it in the fourth slot; there are enough slashes as it is. There are better sleepers, and Noctowl in general is probably better off with one of the other moves.

I don't really have an opinion on Toxic vs. Psycho Shift; both have situational uses, but I've found playing Psycho Shift more annoying when using defensive teams, since most rely on Toxic to break down walls like Noctowl. It probably deserves to be slashed ahead of Reflect at least. Also, on that note, Clefable should be listed as a counter, as she is capable of absorbing both Toxic and Psycho Shift, is immune to Night Shade, and can come in and Encore before Whirlwind due to its negative priority.

QC Approved 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)