np: ORAS OU Suspect Testing, Round 1 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Greninja is Uber]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon OU hates all the ninja starters. j/k

Greninja isn't as clear-cut as Salamence. I usually argue against bans, if just to keep things interesting, but Mega Salamence was truly brutal.
Greninja's combination of speed, adequate power and precise movepool makes it more centralizing than overpowered.
Since it has to be prepared for (though it is possible to be prepared without gimmicks) , its presence effectively hampers the viability of a number of other Pokemon and team types.
The decision to ban or not really comes down to whether one believes this is tolerable or not.
Do certain team archetypes have a 'right' to be viable in OU? Does Greninja's presence limit team-building options too much?

Ignoring the mostly (keyword here, there are definitely some convincing arguments here; they're just in the minority :/) terrible arguments in this thread I'll post my thoughts.

Ever since I first started hearing complaints about Greninja when ORAS came out, I still held the views that I did during late XY where I found Greninja to be extremely good, but not overpowered. As time went on, however, I started to see how Greninja had an unhealthy presence in the metagame. I found that many of my balance. Teams had to be reworked to not be 6-0ed by Greninja (and by 6-0ed I mean 6-0ed with minimal team support like VoltTurn and rox n shit), which was not fun as they were otherwise solid versus the rest of the metagame. Whenever I was making a balanced squad I always had to deviate from my original ideas simply because I found that many common cores I used were shat on by the frog. Even simple FWG cores like tran / bro / Celebi | ches, which handled a lot of the metagame, were falling to the standard Greninja set of Low Kick / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse / Gunk Shot.

And that's when my views on Greninja started to change. I found myself resorting to hyper offense more often than not, simply because the playstyle allowed me to dictate how matches would go from turn one. That might sound fine and dandy, but HO never was my favorite play style, and even ignoring that HO is really match up reliant. I used HO to improve my matchup against Greninja (ironically, the team I use doesn't even have Greninja, lol). I had to resort to a play style that I wasn't entirely comfortable with, simply because of one mon. Hell, for a time I was even using stall, simply because I hated seeing Greninja in the team preview and knowing that I'm in for a tough battle (btw I fucking hate stall, which goes to say something at the very least). However, this leads to my next point, which as a heads up, might seem a bit confusing at first.

Despite what I said above, I still do not hold the view that Greninja is overpowered. I say this because as I stated above, HO and stall both match up well against him, contrary to popular belief. HO May not have switch ins for him, but HO doesn't have switch ins for a lot of things. HO just has switch ins for mons that are very common and somewhat exploitable, such as Latios or Scarf Lando T. Hyper offense is an extremely high risk high reward play style that is hit or miss, and Greninja doesn't change that more than any other mon. I'd even argue that Mega Lopunny is worse for HO due to Fake Out, Scrappy, and an even higher speed tier. The other playstyle I mentioned was stall, which simply does not give a fuck about Greninja in the slightest. Chansey is a staple of stall and counters all non CB Low a Kick variants of Greninja (lol pls don't run that unless u like giving out free wins). No matter what anyone says, Greninja has no way of breaking 252 / 252+ Chansey that is played competently. Any competent player can beat a Greninja if all it can do is 3HKO the mon you send in. Despite her passiveness, she won't lose to Greninja. And even then, SpDef Mega Sableye is a thing (and trust me it's really good as it handles other things than ninja!!!), as well as Tentacruel, Alomomomomomomola, Mega Venusaur, and Suicune. All of these are common / relatively common stall mons that beat ninja and when paired up with other stall mons, fare well against the rest of the meta. Greninja can't break these mons and will kill itself through LO recoil before it can crit its way through according to the law of probability.

One last thing before I wrap this up: balance isn't helpless against Greninja. Despite what I said above about having to give up playing balance, I've still seen balance squads fare well against Greninja. Teams that feature mons like AV Conk, alomomomola, Bulky Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Chansey all have ways of beating the frog. It may be difficult, but the possibility is still there. It just takes creative teambuilding and the ability to make plays. I struggle with Greninja when playing Balance because I lack the creative teambuilding skills that other, better players possess. Regardless, Greninja is still a threat to balance and is definitely centralizing to the tier.

Now, that last sentence is important because that is where my stance on the issue is and where my vote will lie once I achieve reqs. As anti ban as this post may seem, I still hold the view that Greninja should be banned from the OU tier. I do not find him OP. I find him unhealthy. I find him unhealthy to the point where I feel pressured to play with teams I would otherwise use as little as possible. (Such as stall or some HO teams) just so I don't feel insanely pressured whenever I see Greninja in the team preview. Greninja limits teambuilding and limits it in ways where certain cores and mons simply do not work because he singlehandedly renders them obsolete, where they would otherwise fare well against the rest of the metagame. My experience on the suspect ladder confirms this, as from the games I have played so far I have enjoyed the tier a lot more with Greninja absent from it.

Greninja, your my second favorite mon, and it pains me to say this, but it's time for you to join your fellow starter (Blaziken) in the Ubers tier, as OU simply is not ready for you yet. I have to vote ban.
As much as it pains me to say, eveything you typed really makes so much sense and is kinda true. I see where you are coming from and...*pauses*... Gren can be viewed as unhealthy. Like you said not op but unhealthy. After playing a lot in the Sus ladder, I have to admit I can use a lot more teams with Gren not present. My stance may change tbh as much as I love Gren. Back to getting Reqs..

Come ORAS Azumarill was nerfed now that Greninja had Gunk Shot, but with Greni out of the way azumaril can finally test out belly drum with knock off, something that he couldn't do before.
Just thought I'd mention Waterfall can OHKO Greninja at +6, so the rise of Knock Off doesn't really correlate to no Greninja - Azumarill could definitely use Knock Off before on a Belly Drum set and I certainly was using it (mainly for the 100% accuracy compared to Play Rough).

From my experience of running Trick Room on the normal ladder with Greninja left in, I found he was just too good at late game cleaning and I had to be very cautious in my play to account for this. Here is how he faired against my bulkiest mon which he could usually only hit neutrally:

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 168-199 (41.5 - 49.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

What I'm trying to say here is even against a pokemon that he hits neutrally and against a play style that emphasizes bulk, he's still 2HKOing. 100 / 100 / 100 bulk is very respectable and with the health investment that's pretty crazy - my best hit in return without a Tail Glow boost is:

252+ SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Greninja: 177-208 (62.1 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But after one round on LO recoil and Stealth Rock that still won't KO. Whilst I realise max HP Manaphy isn't typical in OU, I wanted to demonstrate how Greninja faired against something with already very nice bulk - the answer is pretty damn well.

People truly fail to realize during suspects that when a Pokemon is being suspected, it really isn't just the Poke by itself. It's the Poke on a team with 5 others built to pair with it, and when your team must build with it in mind or with it in general, the poke is broken and/or over-centralized, and such is the case with Greninja. When you list stops such as Empoleon (which is still wrecked by low kick) and Porygon 2, you must also recognize that IF Greninja has no wait to deal with said threats, it won't stay in to deal with said issues. You can simply switch into something else. Greninja won't stay in on your obviously scarfed Lando-T because it has no reason too. Your scarfers can be scouted and stopped, and Greninja can and will come back in when ready. Greninja (unless trapped) is not being forced to stay in on what you took a slot out of your team to stop it.

My Final Point: A team of 5 Pokemon built specifically around Greninja isn't going to worry about what you think can stop Greninja because whatever you have made stop Greninja from wrecking your team is by no mean safe from any other Pokemon on the opponent's team. When your Pokemon have been weakened, your scarfer(s) is unusuable, and Greninja's 4 move slots happen to catch each Pokemon left on your team (which with its vast movepool that includes priority makes this very common) you are in every essence of the word, fucked.

That, is why I believe Greninja deserves the BAN

Teams aren't built around Greninja. Greninja is built around a team.

You throw put five Pokemon on your team, then you slap a Greninja as glue.

For example, if you already have Water STAB on your game, forego Hydro Pump in favor of Gunk Shot.

If you've already got a Mega Metagross or something to handle Fairies, you can use Low Kick instead of Gunk Shot. And so on.

After some experience on the ladder, I would express my opinion about the greg.

I want to make a comparison, between Greninja in 6th gen and Starmie in 5th gen.

They are similar on different point: both are fast in the metagame they evolve. Both have the 4MSS and can deal with most of their counters following the set they are running:

Tyranitar: destroyed by hpump on the switch, but is able to trap it.
Weavile: same.
Scizor: same, except in rain.
Ferrothorn: HP Fire is an option on Starmie.
Gastrodon: HP Grass is an option on Starmie.
Rotom-W: Psychock is a 2HKO on the switch.
Amoonguss: Psychock is an OHKO on the switch.
Chansey: take hard hit from hpump under rain on the switch, can be rekt by a trick variant.

Disclaimer: no, Rapid Spin isn't a must-have on Starmie, at least not all the time.

I don't think it's useful to do the same with Greninja there is 22 pages about it.

"Yeah but Starmie has also good points for the metagame, for example he is one of the best spinner !"

Yes it's true, but Greninja also has some advantage in the current metagame, he is faster than some of the new strongest megas, mainly Gallade and Metagross.

I know it's not really an argument because "if something become broken after a ban, then it will be ban too !"

Yes that's true again, but it might comes down to a bad metagame, but it's theorymoning, so not really the place to talk about it.

So it seems to come down to "yes but starmie had a short life on the field !"

Yes, it's true, and it's also the case of Greninja.

I got the reqs, I'm not sure of what I will vote, but based on my experience, Greninja isn't more ban-worthy than other threats I've seen in the past or I'm seeing in ORAS metagame.

Disclaimer: this is not a "ban-starmie-from-bw" post, that's just a comparison I found a good.
Disclaimer²: this post is based on offensive Analytic Starmie, for those who didn't understood it.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
http://imgur.com/YjEMal2 tbh that was way too easy, got it on saturday but forgot to post it.

As to my opinion on the suspect metagame and the fate of gren. I think the new metagame is much more healthy, not spinning in circles around Greninja sets just shows that, the effect on teambuilding is extremely noticeable, i can testify that all variants of offense and balance have found ease on their lives in a metagame where match ups against opposing merely offensive teams arent decided on Greninja speed ties, cant say anything about stall since i found it actually easier to deal with the team i was using, cant tell why because i havent analyzed it.

All the theorical points have been analyzed numerous times in the thread and i dont have to mention them. My vote is BAN. My writing and argumenting was probably sloppy but i just got back to the meta and posting, and i just got up guys :(

ban *tear*

Greninja is totally overcentralizing in OU. It has no reliable switch ins (not even Chansey anymore due to Low Kick and Gunk Shot). If Greninja has a move that is super effective against the opponent, then that opponent will lose, no matter what. It can sweep entire teams (I know this from experience). It makes it way easier for other Pokemon to sweep. If its only counters are non-viable in OU (Porygon2 and maaayyyyybe Kecleo), then that is a huge problem.

So maybe if you can know the most common ninja set, it's not broken in ladder, since all you care about is winning overall for points. But when you need to decisively win vs. an opponent in tournament, then you need to start worrying about Ninja's wider array of options, and need to consider if it's even possible to semi-reliably deal with it with your team structure.
This is my problem with a lot of the recent bans and arguments. To me "it's unpredictable" is not a valid argument to ban a pokemon. Lately ive been noticing a trend in which people are leaning toward a metagame in which I know exactly all of your sets from seeing your team in the preview. That is BORING. People do not want to adapt to changes in a battle, they would much rather have a gameplan from the start and stick to it. This is not solitaire.
And those saying that the suspect ladder is "so much more diverse and fun".... no its not. It's the same Landorus, Heatran, Lati cores as we have always seen. Heck Landorus fits most of the reasons pro bans are saying about ninja: there is no reason not to put it in a team since its strong, and has an amazing support/pivot role. Its a perfect pivoting glue. The reason no one wants to ban it its because its more or less predictable.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm currently on the fence about the ban, but I am leaning towards banning him. Greninja is one of my favorite Pokemon to use, but it is because of how powerful a mon greninja is. if my bulkier Pokemon have been whittled down even a little bit, then my best bet is another Greninja risking the speed tie. All of his checks/counters from xy can be taken out with the right coverage moves. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the presence of fast megas and Greninja's fraility. However, the frailty can be made up for by simply changing greninja's typing to one that resists the incoming attack.

Here are some calcs for some of the bulkiest/dominant mons in the metagame. Keep in mind that these are with the EV investments that I use.
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 432-510 (109.6 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 551-655 (136.7 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 491-580 (122.4 - 144.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 369-437 (56.5 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 268-320 (41.7 - 49.8%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 213-252 (56.4 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 229-273 (65 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 556-658 (200.7 - 237.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 307-361 (85 - 100%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 296-351 (114.2 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 257-304 (85.3 - 100.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 283-335 (99.2 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 484-577 (137.5 - 163.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 246-290 (74.3 - 87.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 377-447 (113.8 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 390-460 (101.2 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKOv
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 304-359 (97.1 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 179-212 (59.4 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 222-263 (68.7 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 445-525 (109.8 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 624-738 (163.3 - 193.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 187-221 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 244-291 (57.6 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 491-580 (136.7 - 161.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 243-289 (86.4 - 102.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 237-281 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 144-172 (47.5 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 192-227 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%) -- 12.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 129-152 (45.9 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 175-208 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 283-335 (71.8 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 269-317 (90.5 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 445-525 (137.7 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 315-374 (105.3 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 238-281 (66.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 289-343 (75.2 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 276-328 (77.9 - 92.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock(guarented OHKO because of flying type before mega)
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 187-222 (77.5 - 92.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 212-251 (76.5 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha: 382-452 (127.7 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 74-87 (23.2 - 27.3%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 218-257 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Manaphy: 148-175 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 177-211 (66.7 - 79.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 96 HP / 120 Def Smeargle: 471-556 (171.2 - 202.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Staraptor: 398-471 (127.9 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 424-502 (113.6 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 195-229 (58.7 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Venomoth: 165-196 (58.7 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 237-281 (69.5 - 82.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Volcarona: 220-259 (58.9 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Weavile: 562-660 (200 - 234.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 187-220 (52 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 220 HP / 16 Def Celebi: 400-476 (101 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 299-354 (71.1 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 172-203 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 257-304 (66.9 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sceptile: 598-707 (212.8 - 251.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 276-328 (63.8 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 491-580 (151.5 - 179%) -- guaranteed OHKO
16 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 330-393 (86.8 - 103.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
240 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 257-304 (67.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

As you can see, Greninja can OHKO or 2HKO every relevant threat in the meta with stealth rocks up spare 3-4 mons with this one set, and it can adjust the set to take on any threats that counter this set. Greninja has basically 0 SAFE SWITCH-INS. The Pokemon that can take more than 2 hits can get 1v1'd because protean allows greninja to change his typing into a more favorable one.

IMO Greninja needs a ban.

This is my problem with a lot of the recent bans and arguments. To me "it's unpredictable" is not a valid argument to ban a pokemon. Lately ive been noticing a trend in which people are leaning toward a metagame in which I know exactly all of your sets from seeing your team in the preview. That is BORING. People do not want to adapt to changes in a battle, they would much rather have a gameplan from the start and stick to it. This is not solitaire.
And those saying that the suspect ladder is "so much more diverse and fun".... no its not. It's the same Landorus, Heatran, Lati cores as we have always seen. Heck Landorus fits most of the reasons pro bans are saying about ninja: there is no reason not to put it in a team since its strong, and has an amazing support/pivot role. Its a perfect pivoting glue. The reason no one wants to ban it its because its more or less predictable.
Even with one set, Greninja can still OHKO-2HKO basically the entire relevant metagame as you can see from above, so it is still broken if it is limited to one set, especially since it can change its typing at will to fit the situation. Also, the argument saying that you can predict the move it will use and adjust your attack accordingly is BS because if you predict wrong, then you lose the one Pokemon you thought you could take down Greninja with.

ban *tear*

Greninja is totally overcentralizing in OU. It has no reliable switch ins (not even Chansey anymore due to Low Kick and Gunk Shot). If Greninja has a move that is super effective against the opponent, then that opponent will lose, no matter what. It can sweep entire teams (I know this from experience). It makes it way easier for other Pokemon to sweep. If its only counters are non-viable in OU (Porygon2 and maaayyyyybe Kecleo), then that is a huge problem.
You forgot about the rare dual screens klefki.

Last edited:
I got reqs yesterday but didn't make a post cause was tired and stuff. From my experience of the OU meta before this suspect, Greninja seriously made it harder for me to get into the tier and actually try to be good at it. Offense and balance teams were literally shat on by the ninja frog, seriously limiting the diversity of teams (imo).

This suspect test got me interested in OU once again mainly because I had more freedom to build what I wanted, as well as opening up a lot of different viable playstyles.

tl;dr metagame is really healthy right now (something I haven't seen in a while) let's keep it that way

BAN THE FROG

My previous posts were removed for some reason, so maybe I'll try a more fleshed out approach. I didn't have much experience with ORAS Greninja, since I only faced one before the suspect test. However, even before ORAS, Greninja was an incredibly slippery and versatile mon, and with moves like Gunk Shot, Low Kick, and I think Ice Punch (he didn't have that before, right?), Greninja has a lot of powerful options when it comes to physical attacking. He's fast, and with Protean, you don't have to worry about carrying STAB, because literally everything is STAB. From what people are saying, Greninja is too powerful to stay in OU. However, some people have been bringing up the point of how he'll fit in Ubers, which other people are countering with the fact that Ubers isn't based off usage. True, Ubers isn't a usage based tier, but it is still a tier now, and viability should be taken into account. Greninja is fast, but there are still several Ubers who can outspeed him (Mewtwo, Deoxys, MGengar, Darkrai, Shaymin Sky, Arceus w/ Extreme Speed, MLucario w/ Bullet Punch, Xerneas after Geomancy, and while he doesn't outspeed him, Aegislash is immune to both Gunk Shot and Low Kick, leaving Greninja with his old OU tricks). Combined with his fragility and lack of priority outside of Quick Attack and Shadow Sneak, means Greninja probably doesn't stand much of a chance in Ubers. So, as a compromise, how about create a new BL tier between Ubers and OU? Isn't that the point of a BL tier? For pokemon who are too good for one tier, but not good enough for the next tier? It could be called UUbers (or not). As a pre-rebuttal for if anyone says "Oh but he'll be the only one there": it's a new tier. Obviously there won't be a lot of Pokemon in it at first. And it's not like BL tiers are that full of pokemon anyway. If someone removes this too, at least tell me what's wrong with what I said.
For your reference, Greninja has a niche as a viable Spikes setter in Ubers that can beat Deoxys-Speed, a common hazards lead. However, we do not take these things into account when banning something from OU - if it is broken in OU, then we ban it.

ban *tear*

...It has no reliable switch ins (not even Chansey anymore due to Low Kick and Gunk Shot)
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 222-263 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 85.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 129-152 (18.3 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO

I feel it is reliable enough.
There is pretty high chance of missing and Poison doesnt matter so much, when you easily softboil every damage off and switch or Aromatherapy cures you.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 222-263 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- 85.2% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 129-152 (18.3 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO

I feel it is reliable enough.
There is pretty high chance of missing and Poison doesnt matter so much, when you easily softboil every damage off and switch or Aromatherapy cures you.
The problem with chansey is that it can be 2HKO'd by Greninjas with 240 attack investment, which isn't super common right now but will be if greninja isn't banned considering it gives greninja the power to OHKO-2HKO basically the entire meta.

I wasn't saying that unpredictable = broken (Gengar has been super unpredictable in previous gens), I was responding to a post saying that "Greninja's wider movepool isn't that important/being overhyped" because they're not used a lot on ladder according to usage statistics (which isn't even really that true on high ladder).

All I was saying was that, on the contrary, Greninja's movepool is a very big deal.

No one wants a game where every Pokemon is exactly predictable, nor is having predictable sets even a good strategy. However, if you read my previous post before that, I think Greninja's unhealthy because of it's wider movepool (not just because it's unpredictable) allowing it to have unrivaled ability to sweep, wallbreak, revenge kill, and keep momentum with hazards support for any team. The fact that it's unpredictable is just a perk for me personally.

But reducing people's arguments who mention Ninja's unpredictability as a factor to "unpredictable => broken" is a gross oversimplification.

Last edited:
True, Ubers isn't a usage based tier, but it is still a tier now, and viability should be taken into account.
If we keep Greninja down in OU, it won't do anything to improve OU. It'll just continue to be unhealthy. Banning it, however, will improve the metagame.

If we move Greninja to Ubers...Ubers won't change. It'll still be the same as it was before.

It doesn't matter if there's a less-viable pokemon or two up there so long as there is an improvement down here in OU. We never stopped banning Pokemon from UU just because it wouldn't be able to hold its own that well in OU, did we?

As to why the mods keep removing your post...check out this thread.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ad-before-posting-in-suspect-threads.3522684/
-Don't mention how good / not good a pokemon will be in Ubers. We don't care. Usage in ubers has no impact on if we ban / not ban something. It could be garbage in Ubers but if its unhealthy for the OU metagame then it goes, no exceptions.

Last edited:
Well, a pokemon such as Charizard has different counters depending on which mega it is, and even if it is X, whether it is bulky wisp or dd will affect how you should play around it.
To prove that you won't know everything about the opponent's team right from team preview, here's a slightly larger list of pokemon that can run unusual moves to lure and get rid of would-be switch-ins:
Hidden power ice Landorus I to lure Gliscor + OHKO lando T
Earthquake/surf Latios to lure Heatran
Hidden power fire Latios to lure Ferrothorn
Trick scarf Latios to lure Chansey/clef/sylveon
Knock Off + Superpower Thundurus to lure Chansey
Fire Blast Altaria to lure Ferrothorn
Earthquke Altaria to lure Heatran, also Tentacruel, but this was much less relevant on suspect
Wisp Talonflame to lure Lando T/Tyranitar
Hidden power fire Diancie to lure Ferrothorn
Freeze-Dry Mamoswine to lure Quagsire, and deal decent damage to rotom-w

There are still certainly pokemon that can catch the opponent off guard, and some can run multiple sets, Azumarill is an example that should be handled differently depending on item choice, although AV is less viable now.

What separates Greninja from the aforementioned pokemon is that it has so few switch-ins compared to the faster pokemon, and is so much faster than the usual breakers. Due to its large variety in moves, Greninja really shouldn't have a standard set, but the most common from what I've observed is Low Kick/Gunk Shot/Ice Beam/Dark Pulse, already excellent coverage. As if this wasn't enough, Greninja has enough variety in moveslots to eliminate almost all of the few remaining switch-ins. Greninja isn't 6-0ing most teams, but what it can do is get a kill more or less every time it comes in to break for another threat, or just clean up weakened teams with its amazing speed. The sheer variety of moves that Greninja can run forces the opponent to constantly make guesses as to the set, at little expense to the Greninja user. Essentially, Greninja puts the user in a favourable situation in almost every matchup other than full stall, because of the sheer number of things it can hit for STAB SE damage, and the guesswork it causes. Unpredictability isn't a characteristic in a pokemon that means it should be banned, but Greninja's level of unpredictability coupled with the aforementioned reasons of speed and unbelievable coverage means it should be.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
I haven't played much of ORAS but from what I've seen, Greninja is now in the same boat as Deoxys-S was. And Protean makes it even harder to defend against it. When you're matched up against it, you're basically flipping a coin; if it has X move, I'm toast. So you're never completely prepared for it. And since it's so unpredictable, you might even throw the game away even when you were adequately prepared to deal with it. It's presence in the OU meta limits team building and that's never good.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People truly fail to realize during suspects that when a Pokemon is being suspected, it really isn't just the Poke by itself. It's the Poke on a team with 5 others built to pair with it, and when your team must build with it in mind or with it in general, the poke is broken and/or over-centralized, and such is the case with Greninja. When you list stops such as Empoleon (which is still wrecked by low kick) and Porygon 2, you must also recognize that IF Greninja has no wait to deal with said threats, it won't stay in to deal with said issues. You can simply switch into something else. Greninja won't stay in on your obviously scarfed Lando-T because it has no reason too. Your scarfers can be scouted and stopped, and Greninja can and will come back in when ready. Greninja (unless trapped) is not being forced to stay in on what you took a slot out of your team to stop it.

My Final Point: A team of 5 Pokemon built specifically around Greninja isn't going to worry about what you think can stop Greninja because whatever you have made stop Greninja from wrecking your team is by no mean safe from any other Pokemon on the opponent's team. When your Pokemon have been weakened, your scarfer(s) is unusuable, and Greninja's 4 move slots happen to catch each Pokemon left on your team (which with its vast movepool that includes priority makes this very common) you are in every essence of the word, fucked.

That, is why I believe Greninja deserves the BAN
This is the best post in this thread. It covers every pro- and anti-ban argument and explains ninja's brokenness in the simplest yet most thorough ways possible. We need to stop looking at these suspects in a vacuum and realize that they have five teammates. And sure, the person defending against Greninja has six Pokemon of their own, but it just so happens that the person with Greninja on their team usually has the upper hand by virtue of it being who it is.

Also I'm going to start handing out infractions like candy from this point forward. I am going to give you guys some objective criteria on what I will be infracting for.
  • One-liner Posts - Self Explanatory
  • Suggesting creation of a tier between OU and Ubers - It has been established that Smogon does not do this. "Anything Goes" doesn't count for this because Mega Ray made Ubers unplayable and it was decided that all Pokemon need some tier they are legal - NOT necessarily viable - in. Greninja, should it be ousted from OU, will be legal in Ubers, so there is no need to create a new tier.
  • Saying that Greninja has 4MSS - There have been several posts throughout the thread explaining what 4MSS is and HOW GRENINJA DOES NOT HAVE IT. I will not link to any, they are found on every page. Greninja has the opposite of 4MSS. It has two/three moves it *needs*, Gunk Shot and Ice Beam. The two remaining slots are basically bonus moves that cover what Greninja needs to cover; the rest of the necessary coverage is up to teammates. This applies to every Pokemon. This is not 4MSS. Yes I will infract for this. This is not an opinion, this is fact. GRENINJA DOES NOT HAVE 4MSS!
P.S. You should be afraid to post in this thread. Very afraid.

Last edited:
Alright, this needs to be said.
This is a Greninja suspect thread. It is for discussing whether or not Greninja is a bad influence on the current metagame and if it should be banned from it or not.
It is not for discussing whether you think Pokémon should be moved down from Ubers, whether a new 'BL' tier should be created between them or whether you think Smogon policy is flawed or not. No matter how convincing your argument may be this is not the time or place for them and no-one is really going to care.
This applies for all suspects by the way. This isn't the place to discuss if you think a new tier should be created for your precious Mega Mawile.
I know this is likely to be deleted by a mod but could you please add something like this to the etiquette thread or the start of the suspects or whatever? Stuff like this is really cluttering up the thread.

I know this isn't relevant to the topic and I apologize for giving ginganinja yet another post to delete but it bothers me that Haunter listed 4mss among Greninja's flaws when it has been made clear several times that it is the opposite and is more of a pro than con (which only leaves it's frailty and "easy to revenge kill" as only cons to Greninja :/)

I know i'm nit-picking here but I think it is encouraging uninformative posters (which shouldn't be posting but we all know do it anyways) to use faulty arguments and derail the thread even more.

Last edited:
Teams aren't built around Greninja. Greninja is built around a team.

You throw put five Pokemon on your team, then you slap a Greninja as glue.

For example, if you already have Water STAB on your game, forego Hydro Pump in favor of Gunk Shot.

If you've already got a Mega Metagross or something to handle Fairies, you can use Low Kick instead of Gunk Shot. And so on.
Yeah, this is the reason why Greninja doesn't have 4mss. Once you have the entire team ready and you're doing the final tuning you should only really need Greninja to have 2-3 moves. The extra moves are gravy that give you redundancy, but if you have Megagross with Ice Punch and a Fairy, Greninja doesn't need to be able to hit dragons. You have 6 pokemon on a team so a pokemon not doing literally everything isn't a drawback or weakness.

haunter

Banned deucer.
I know this isn't relevant to the topic and I apologize for giving ginganinja yet another post to delete but it bothers me that Haunter listed 4mss among Greninja's flaws when it has been made clear several times that is the opposite and is more of a pro than con (which only leaves it's frailty and "easy to revenge kill" as only cons to Greninja :/)

I know i'm nit-picking here but I think it is encouraging uninformative posters (which shouldn't be posting but we all know do it anyways) to use faulty arguments and derail the thread even more.
Good observation. Let me clarify: when I listed "4th moveslot syndrome" among Greninja's flaws I meant to say that, given Greninja's average offensive statistics and its non-existant bulk, it would ideally need every coverage move it can get in order to be truly unstoppable.

Anyway, in order to prevent further nitpicking: 1) we don't have a clear-cut definition of fouth move syndrome (it's not like it's an actual disease lol) and 2) even though Greninja's vast movepool, along with Protean, gives it sufficient neutral and super effective coverage, whenever you decide Greninja's moveset, you're going to give up important coverage moves (for instance, most Greninja, these days, tend to forgo Extrasensory and Hidden Power Fire, making things such as M-Venusaur and M-Scizor pretty good switch ins into it).

My opening paragraph was just meant to be a starting point of discussion. Take it for what it is.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
posting these here so i don't lose them

I've already stated my opinion on why Greninja should be banned in detail and I don't really feel like expanding on that anymore. That aside the suspect ladder metagame is definitely a step forward from the current one. You can see the enormous increase in diversity in builds with a massive resurgence in balance and all kinds of cool things for offense without Greninja in the metagame, especially seeing as you don't have to run Scarf on Keldeo and you don't have to run mons like Alomomola and Porygon2 on balance just to beat Greninja. Another, less positive thing is that Mega Sableye is disgustingly good, centralizing, and effective against a lot of the tier, but that's an issue to deal with at another time. Greninja is holding back the development of the metagame though and I think it would be unwise to keep it around for any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)