np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is exactly my point. If there is no weater around it will still be a great pokemon, but it will far from broken as it will be checked by almost any scarfed sweeper.
Actually, Excadrill would suck, hardcore. Base 88 Speed is lousy as hell, and it doesn't have that great of bulk (All it has is those resistances, anything else will hurt like hell).

Either way it would cease from existing.

Going to do my best to make it. Never tried to get voting rights. Thundurus needs to die, so Tornadus can shine since it's now not outclassed.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I think people these past few pages are failing to realize that the problem with Excadrill is not that he's broken, but rather that he is supremely detrimental to the health of the meta-game.Not every Pokemon that is the latter has to be broken, and I , convinced by Snunch's arguments, believe Excadrill to be a great example of such a Pokemon. His existence domino effects through the meta-game creating many adverse effects despite being only of moderate power within the meta-game itself.

Actually, Excadrill would suck, hardcore. Base 88 Speed is lousy as hell, and it doesn't have that great of bulk (All it has is those resistances, anything else will hurt like hell).

Either way it would cease from existing.

It's funny, because a max attack Escavalier deals 60% with Megahorn without any item.

I think its great that we banned Garchomp. According to my logic, there is now another free spot up in OU and something from UU is moving up. And if Something from UU is moving up, then something from RU is also moving into UU and so on.

I really hope all this Ho-oh for OU talk is a joke... Go to PO and talk to the uber players (or myself) who have built a team based around Ho-oh. Ho-oh can 5-0 easy in Ubers with simple subroost and sun support, no RS needed IN UBERS, so please tell me what in OU would stop it without having to be extremely dedicated to stopping him. You have to make direct counters in Ubers and they can still fail to the Sub set. Anyway, his stats is incredible and in no means good in OU, even if he came in at 25% he could still wreck so end it, ho-oh would immediately be sent back.

About excadrill, he is fine. Without sand he is nothing, and in sand he can be hit hard with priority. A choice banded bullet punch from scizor 2hkos (at least the ones i face) so he really lacks defenses. Any other priority would eat it alive.

As far as i see the only thing left for discussion is Thundurus, I don't (or didn't) have any problems with him due to chomp bring a somewhat decent stop to him, but priority Twave/sub/nasty plot/taunt are all really good moves, backed with a wide range of moves electric/ice/grass makes for perfect coverage, and packing hammer arm in case of blisseys doesn't hurt either. Thundurus is quite a monster right now and definitely needs another look at.

It boggles my mind when people on this forum call thundurus overpowered or broken as a sweeper when 90% of ou can revenge kill it simply by using a choice scarf, while excadrill on the other hand requires a dedicated counter, which consists of a small handful of pokemon.

@ rickatick what really makes thundurus broken in my opinion is prankster. Not only he have a great speed tier of 111 and 125 special attack the nasty plot set has no counters as most things are 2hkoed by the appropriate move even chansey with focus blast. However prankster pushes him over the edge priority nasty plot can avoid taunt unless by whimsicott as can sub and theproblem is if you send in a non ground type scarfed Pokemon thundurus simply cripples it with a priority thunder wave. The only solid check or revenge killer I have found that is viable in ou is excadrill under sandstorm. The simple fact is that thundurus wrecks teams and is broken which is why he is suspect.

Chansey isn't 2HKOed I think, only Blissey. You probably lose a Chansey in the process since it turns out too weak to wall much else after taking the Focus Blast, and could possibly be Taunted.

@ rickatick what really makes thundurus broken in my opinion is prankster. Not only he have a great speed tier of 111 and 125 special attack the nasty plot set has no counters as most things are 2hkoed by the appropriate move even chansey with focus blast. However prankster pushes him over the edge priority nasty plot can avoid taunt unless by whimsicott as can sub and theproblem is if you send in a non ground type scarfed Pokemon thundurus simply cripples it with a priority thunder wave. The only solid check or revenge killer I have found that is viable in ou is excadrill under sandstorm. The simple fact is that thundurus wrecks teams and is broken which is why he is suspect.
Can Blissey even break its substitutes? I know Chansey can always break them, but I'm not sure if all the Blisseys can (like the ones with Flamethrower?).

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Can Blissey even break its substitutes? I know Chansey can always break them, but I'm not sure if all the Blisseys can (like the ones with Flamethrower?).
This entire gen I've seen one Flamethrower blissey. It's basically obsolete, but without rain, yes, it can break subs

EDIT: Whoops I was looking at defense stat, no flamethrower won't break any subs.

Weather should stay as it adds an interesting element to the game. I think Thundurus should stay as it hasn't been causing me any problems and I haven't been so successful using it (then again, mine's using a mixed support set). I can see Excadrill going or maybe the Sand Rush ability.

Admittedly, why are people so worried about Excadrill? People can say to use a Choice Scarf to deal with Thundurus, so why can't people say to use a priority user to deal with Excadrill? There's plenty out there: Conkeldurr, Azumarill, Hitmontop, etc.

I don't get it, but Excadrill has rarely been a problem for me. Its defenses are shit as hell(lol Escavalier does 60% with unboosted Megahorn)

The problem being you've named four moves, whereas almost all Excadrill run SD with three moves. Two of these will always be EQ and Rock Slide, so once you've found out its last coverage move, it's just a matter of switching in the appropriate counter to that set.
Yes I have named four moves aside from SD, that's why I said X-scizzor 'OR' Return, I did not expect it to have both.

Anyway, the problematic issue here is that in order to find out what move set Excadrill has, it may cost you a Pokemon - Excadrill will be only using its non stab moves as a last resort so in order to find out if it has X-scizzor or return, you would need to switch into something like Celebi. If Excadrill then uses X-scizzor your Celebi is screwed unless you switched again. Additionally, should Excadrill meet something that it cannot handle effectively, it only requires a simple switch (it's not likely to die from SR/ Toxic Spikes damage), until the threat is dealt with.

Furthermore like I said, Excadrill will be hitting almost everything hard in OU. I've just checked and the only Pokemon resistant to ground typing wise (excludes levitate), that Excadrill won't be able to hit super effectively are Landordus (ground/flying like Gliscor), Skamory (Steel/Flying), and Fighting/Grass Pokemon (i.e Breeloom and Virizion).

Admittedly, why are people so worried about Excadrill? People can say to use a Choice Scarf to deal with Thundurus, so why can't people say to use a priority user to deal with Excadrill? There's plenty out there: Conkeldurr, Azumarill, Hitmontop, etc.
"Priority i.e aqua jet Azumarill can revenge kill Excadrill (if it decides to stay in) however it will be 2KO’d by Excadrill’s EQ, therefore you only have one shot to switch in and aqua jet if you don’t plan on sacrificing another Pokemon. That being said, I’ve never seen Azumarill in OU and Azumarill would also need to carry choice band for the OHKO on Excadrill therefore making a predicted safe switch even easier. Conkeldurr on average will be 2KO’d by EQ (or OK’d with +1 SD) and it cannot OHKO Excadrill with mach punch even with iron fist ability."

As for Hitmontop fair enough, but given the fact that people with Excadrill may worry about priority from Conkledurr, there is bound to be some sort of safe switch in their team i.e to Gliscor or Skarmory.

I don't get it, but Excadrill has rarely been a problem for me. Its defenses are shit as hell(lol Escavalier does 60% with unboosted Megahorn)
If it's defences are so 'shit' I wonder why it can live crucial hits such as Max Att Conkeldurrs mach punch even with iron fist ability.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Additionally, should Excadrill meet something that it cannot handle effectively, it only requires a simple switch (it's not likely to die from SR/ Toxic Spikes damage), until the threat is dealt with.
By this logic we should ban literally everything. If a Pokemon is capable of forcing out a given threat, then that Pokemon (be it an hard counter or a check) has done its job since that threat will no longer be able to sweep your team.

By this logic we should ban literally everything. If a Pokemon is capable of forcing out a given threat, then that Pokemon (be it an hard counter or a check) has done its job since that threat will no longer be able to sweep your team.
Excadrill can only be taken down via Wall Counter (Gliscor/Skarmory/Brongzong/Romotom-W) or by a priority check i.e Azumarril. Should the lateral die then Excadrill can easily sweep a team. That's what sets Excadrill apart from other sweepers, with SS up it can outrun all Pokemon including scarf revenge killers, essentially losing out on many potential checks.

EDIT: Therefore in comparison to other sweepers, Excadrill's counters and checks are severely limited and thus it is much easier to prepare for them. For example if I pair up Excadrill with Celebi, I not only check priority threats such as Azumarill, Conkeldurr and Hitmontop, I also check Rotom-W, Gliscor and Brongzong (as it can't hurt Celebi). As for the switching out part I meant that Excadrill cannot be worn down easily by switching in and out constantly to an appropriate counter - as SR does minute damage and Toxic Spikes/T-wave does not effect Excadrill. Therefore allowing Excadrill to easily wear down your team until any specific threat is dealt with.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Excadrill can only be taken down via Wall Counter (Gliscor/Skarmory/Brongzong/Romotom-W) or by a priority check i.e Azumarril. Should the lateral die then Excadrill can easily sweep a team. That's what sets Excadrill apart from other sweepers, with SS up it can outrun all Pokemon including scarf revenge killers, essentially losing out on many potential checks.
Your reply has nothing to do with the part of your previous post that I specifically called out. You said that if something forces out Excadrill it's not a problem for the mole user since it can just come back later. The fact that it has few viable "hard counters" is another story. Also, I find hilarious how you and some others always assume that sandstorm is the default weather when discussing about Excadrill. Actually, should you have massive troubles with Excadrill, even if you don't want to run a weather inducer yourself, you can just run rain dance\sunny day\hail on on some member of your team just to cancel SS.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Chansey isn't 2HKOed I think, only Blissey. You probably lose a Chansey in the process since it turns out too weak to wall much else after taking the Focus Blast, and could possibly be Taunted.
But is anyone actually going to use tbolt / NP / focus blast / taunt?

Also, Cresselia can switch into Adamant LO excadrill at +2 and cripple it with sunny day. Rock slide fails to 2HKO, even with rocks up.

Excadrill doesn't render scarfers obsolete. What about special attackers? Even if he DOES, since when do we ban stuff for limiting diversity? We weren't prepared to ban reuniclus because he manhandled stall teams so why is excadrill any different?

Nothing has changed to justify a ban after four rounds of OU votes. How about we have some productive discussion of the current metagame instead of whining about something that isn't going to be banned?

Cress cant do shit against excadrill though

Her ice beam cant defeat excadrill and his rather decent defense

Considering the fact that when i used bulky Exca, i use him as skarmory's counter.

YES your supposed to be hard counter for excadrill can be countered by excadrill. A gimmick at best but its a lot of fun

Considering the fact that when i used bulky Exca, i use him as skarmory's counter.

YES your supposed to be hard counter for excadrill can be countered by excadrill. A gimmick at best but its a lot of fun
Can you please explain how you counter skarmory with excadrill?

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
UUPL Champion
Whimsicott is an excellent Excadrill check. It resists EQ and with defensive investment can take pretty much everthing but LO X-scissor. In return it can stun spore the mole making in useless or just encore its swords dance or EQ and then u-turn out giving your team the offensive momentum.
This. Whimsicott actually checks quite a few threats in OU. The problem is he relies on prediction and he's also revealed during Team Preview, making him much less potent.

He could definitely have a solid team built around him though.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus

You can wall excadrill with moonlight, or do a bit of damage with hp fire...

The point is to cut his speed with sunny day. If you save the strategy until the lategame sweep (after tyranitar and hippowdon have been KOed) You can easily dispatch it with something faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)