Announcement np: SS OU Suspect Process, Round 8 - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst laddering I've shamelessly stolen come across a nifty defensive Hawlucha set that counters Urshifu nicely;

Hawlucha @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
Ability: Limber
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 Spe
- Roost
- Drain Punch
- Encore/ Taunt
- Toxic

Takes less than half from all the standard Banded attacks, with the rare Thunder Punch dealing ~80%, but you can then Roost in his face and you're no longer weak to Electric. Rocky Helmet will nicely chip him down as you roost. Drain Punch is a 2HKO and heals back 25% of your HP, though they'll probably switch. If they Bulk Up as you switch in you can Encore them and then Toxic, or just Toxic them first if you're healthy. Even at +1 with LO you're taking max 70% and can spam Roost to cling on to life as Rocky Helmet, Toxic and LO eat his health away. Drain Punch can eat his last 33% of HP.

Neat set, does put in work against other mons in the tier as well. Taunt is probably better for the rest of the tier and does still do well against Urshifu.

Tldr Ban this sick filth
Think Lucha is a good dedicated urshifu counter if you don't want to run Buzz on your team, but i would def mess around with flying press as it guarantees OHKO on non-BU urshifu versus the 2HKOish provided by drain punch.
0 Atk Hawlucha Flying Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 400-472 (117.3 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Hawlucha Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 152-180 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO

also allows you to damage rillaboom better in a pinch as well

0 Atk Hawlucha Flying Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 400-472 (117.3 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Hawlucha Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu: 152-180 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO

also allows you to damage rillaboom better in a pinch as well
Damn, most people probably forgot the move exists. Excellent point, I would use it myself but I barely play Showdown anymore and virtually all of my forum posts are based on theory alone. Unfortunately for the Urshifu supporters (not that they exist but still), running Flying Press just for one threat over the otherwise far better move Drain Punch sure seems like a sign of a rather centralized metagame...

Damn, most people probably forgot the move exists. Excellent point, I would use it myself but I barely play Showdown anymore and virtually all of my forum posts are based on theory alone. Unfortunately for the Urshifu supporters (not that they exist but still), running Flying Press just for one threat over the otherwise far better move Drain Punch sure seems like a sign of a rather centralized metagame...
Not like you would run defensive hawlucha for anything else anyways lol

urshifu-single-strike.png

Just wanted wanted to touch on this after getting suspect and I must say Urshifu is most definitely broken. The amount of pressure this thing applies in the builder is immense, always having to prep for this alongside the problematic Spectrier, as seen by those who were actually building live on the weekend in the trainer academy room (Ox the Fox, Katy, shout outs to them etc. ), going back and forth between Clefable and Tapu Fini if you want to "comfortable" and even then it doesn’t matter. Clefable has to be in perfect condition in order to come into it comfortably and also if you’re anticipating any of its STAB moves, however things could get chaotic right before your eyes if they click either Iron Head or Poison Jab, and the Choice Banded variant will 2HKO. In addition, the fact that you always have to keep your Clefable at full to NOT lose just proves the point on how restricting this thing is. In conjunction with Future Sight, it just gets worse as it’s able to break through even the bulkiest cores with ease.

In conclusion, counter play is so limited, and when this is banned I feel like this weight will be lifted off of everyone's shoulders and as a result If I do get the opportunity to vote, I'd vote BAN.

I vote no ban.
While Urshifu-S is indeed strong, it crumples to Fairy mons and hyper-offense teams.
For fairy mons, you basically have to kill those first before bringing him out because 4x weaknesses are a horrifying prospect for any Pokémon, let alone a type ubiquitous with the metagame as Fairy, especially with the Tapus, Clefable, and Magearna being somewhat common. Worse for Urshifu is that it has no coverage against that type.
For hyper-offense, while he is quick and strong, faster mons can abuse its weaknesses to Fighting and Flying, as well as the aforementioned quad-Fairy weakness.
Ironically enough, I think that Urshifu-R is better and more ban-worthy. While it has more weaknesses, can have its Water STAB negated, and does not have that juicy Psychic immunity, Surging Strikes break Focus Sashes, has seven resistances compared to Urshifu-S's three, coverage against Fairies with Poison Jab, and exactly the same stats as his other form.

I vote no ban.
I’ll bite.

While Urshifu-S is indeed strong, it crumples to Fairy mons
Wait, what?

For fairy mons, you basically have to kill those first before bringing him out because 4x weaknesses are a horrifying prospect for any Pokémon, let alone a type ubiquitous with the metagame as Fairy, especially with the Tapus, Clefable, and Magearna being somewhat common. Worse for Urshifu is that it has no coverage against that type.
No coverage at all? None whatsoever, right? Oh wait, Iron Head. Wait, there’s another, too. Poison Jab. They’re not the best coverage, but it mostly patches up that one weakness and makes Clefable and Tapu Lele a non-issue. Sure there’s Magearna, but a +1 Close Combat’s doing more than enough to never worry.

For hyper-offense, while he is quick and strong, faster mons can abuse its weaknesses to Fighting and Flying, as well as the aforementioned quad-Fairy weakness.
Ironically enough, I think that Urshifu-R is better and more ban-worthy.
Yet the power output from one single move with Single Strike is more of a problem and worth building a team for. Plus, said team will have a way for Urshifu to get in against something it naturally checks—see Teleport, U-Turn, and Volt Switch, all three extremely common (nearly mandatory) moves.

While it has more weaknesses, can have its Water STAB negated, and does not have that juicy Psychic immunity, Surging Strikes break Focus Sashes, has seven resistances compared to Urshifu-S's three, coverage against Fairies with Poison Jab, and exactly the same stats as his other form.
Sorry to disappoint, but Single Strike’s offensive capabilities is why people lean towards it over Rapid and its potential. Plus Rapid Strike is just Toxapex bait.

Also, the Poison Jab thing. A quick double check on Showdown would’ve showed you that both forms can use both aforementioned moves. (Quick Edit) Even faster, looking at the analysis of Urshifu and you can see both recommended sets have Poison Jab at least slashed.

Last edited:
I vote no ban.
While Urshifu-S is indeed strong, it crumples to Fairy mons and hyper-offense teams.
Ironically enough, I think that Urshifu-R is better and more ban-worthy. While it has more weaknesses, can have its Water STAB negated, and does not have that juicy Psychic immunity, Surging Strikes break Focus Sashes, has seven resistances compared to Urshifu-S's three, coverage against Fairies with Poison Jab, and exactly the same stats as his other form.
Poison Jab covers fairies, and mag doesn't like +1 close combat. Even Iron head works. Although I personally like Urshifu-R over Urshifu S, I still think the latter is more powerful. Urshifu-S fits this meta game better then Urshifu-S primarily because Rillaboom existence makes life for Urshifu-R hard. Also Urshifu has STAB, on one of the most powerful priority moves, being sucker punch. Sash isn't much of a problem either, especially with hazards being fairy common. Please look at the movesets and lurk around in the meta before you post something.

I vote no ban.

Which fairies can switch in to Urshifu? Clefable and Tapu Fini get 2HKOd by CB Iron Head and take like 40% from the other STABs and Magearna can't take 2 CCs.

As has been reiterated a thousand times in this thread; the problem is not revenge killing Urshifu it's that once he gets in something almost certainly dies because he has almost no safe switchins.

ChaFouuu

Le goût du jeu ça je l'ai dans le sang
'Sup everyone,
I wanted to share the team I built which helped me A LOT going through this suspect :
https://pokepast.es/d114c8b88494ac81
Basically, this team is a dual type spam, with Rillaboom / Kartana alongside Hawlucha and Urshifu, both duos are meant to pressure their own checks : Rilla can Koff Boots users such as Mandibuzz and Moltres, which helps Kartana to sweep, while Kartana can take advantage of Ferrothorn or U-Turn from Rilla. On another hand, Hawlucha uses Grassy Terrain to activate its seed, and enjoys pressuring bulky Fairys such as Clefable and Fini for Urshifu. Bulk Up allowed Shifu to take advantage of passive Pokémon like Ferrothorn or Mandibuzz to get a nice 73.6 - 87.1% damages on full Def Pex, which can handle Lucha's sweep if it's HPs are high. Shifu is also my emergency check to Spectrier, hence Sucker Punch, eventhough I highly recommand this move in the current meta. RH Lando is the Rocks user, and gave me a lot of role compression, being an emergency check for many physical theats which destroy the team like Cinderace. Toxic is very helpful against common Defoggers in the tier such as Moltres and Mandibuzz. Finally, I chose Scarf Magearna since I wanted immediate Speed Control. It fits very well in this team thanks to its typing, allowing it to check Dragon / Dark / Grass types, while providing Volt Switch. Choice Scarf allow me to lure faster threats, as Specs is much more common and expected.

Eventhough I was pretty new to SS since this suspect, I found myself enjoying teambuilding a lot, and I'm glad I could get the reqs with my own arsenal. Still hesitating on what will be my decision regarding Urshifu's place in the tier. Good luck to everyone trying this suspect, and see you on the voting thread !

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Urshifu Reqs.PNG

Hey everyone, so I just got reqs, and since I already posted in this thread but didn't say much about Urshifu, I thought that I'd throw my two cents in. I'll be honest, I haven't fully made up my mind yet regarding how I'm going to vote, and I plan on thinking about it more until voting opens up, although I'm probably leaning towards voting Ban right now. I feel like your views on a Pokemon are inevitably going to be influenced by the teams/playstyles that you use, but I didn't struggle at all with Urshifu during my laddering for reqs - I don't think that I needed to even sac against it once. The team that I used (which was built by ABR - full credit to him) also didn't have a Fairy or Buzzwole, so I think that there is more counterplay to Urshifu than some people claim by saying that you pretty much need Clef or Buzzwole. To be fair though, the team did have an Urshifu of its own and I also had Rocky Helmet phys def Pex and a Ditto. How I played around Urshifu was scouting/chipping it with Pex, if it clicked Wicked Blow, I would go to my own Urshifu, and if it clicked CC, I would Scald or Knock with Pex. I only faced one Bulk Up Urshifu during my 34 games and it was trickier to deal with, but Ditto was insurance against it if it did get set up. I didn't face a Life Orb + 4 attacks set but that also would have been more difficult to handle than the Banded set. I imagine though that it would get chipped down heavily by Pex's Helmet and its LO chip, while it would still need to be prediction dependent to not Wicked Blow into my own Urshifu or Ditto.

So I know what you're probably thinking - you used a stall/semi-stall team that was prepared for Urshifu, so of course it wasn't a problem, and yeah, I'm cognizant of that. Fortunately, since the team I used also featured Urshifu (the banded set with Wicked Blow/CC/Poison Jab/Sucker Punch), I got more experience concerning how it threatens opposing teams. We all pretty much know what Urshifu does: mostly clicks Wicked Blow (or CC) and punches holes in the opposing team. I feel like Urshifu's speed tier isn't talked about enough, because to me that's one of the largest things that separates it from something like Obstagoon. Jolly Urshifu hits 322 Speed, which allows it to out-speed things like Tapu Lele, Kyurem, and Landorus-T (obviously assuming none of them are Scarfed), which is huge, because it allows Urshifu to come in and revenge kill or scare out these threatening Pokemon, while Wicked Blow/CC are so strong that any resist switching in usually needs to be fairly healthy in its own right. To me, in some ways Urshifu felt almost more like a cleaner in some games than a breaker, because you would need to chip their defensive answers to Urshifu down either through previous damage or Knocking the Boots off/statusing something like Mandibuzz. Magic Guard obviously makes it more difficult to put Clef in range of getting 2HKOed by Wicked Blow, but since Banded Poison Jab already 2HKOs Clef, you often need to just predict that switch once and then get Urshifu back in without giving Clef an opportunity to heal itself. This is probably attributable to the fact that much of the suspect laddering is done towards the lower end of the ladder, but I felt like a lot of the teams I faced had more traditional and "lazier" (I don't mean any disrespect to anyone by saying that) answers to Urshifu (i.e. just relying solely on a defensive Clef or Mandibuzz as their answers). I do agree with what egalvanc was talking about earlier when he said that playing proactively against an Urshifu makes it much harder for the Urshifu user to wreck havoc. I also found Scarfed Fairies or Rocky Helmet Regenerator pivots to be more difficult to play against than just defensive Clef/Buzzwole/Mandibuzz/Fini, and overall, I feel like more can creativity can be used in both the team builder and during games to handle Urshifu, but obviously it's still fairly restricting (which I'll take about more in a little bit). As a random side note on Buzzwole, I like the Pokemon and I built one of my most successful teams with it before Zygarde/Kyurem-Black were banned, but I really don't think it's very good right now. Sure, it switches into Urshifu better than anything else, but after that, it really can't do much. Sadly, it's mainly just a momentum sink that doesn't really offer any utility. I think that more offensive sets like the one that craing ;_; talked about here are definitely better in the current meta than the more defensive Bulk Up set, but even then, it's still really easy for something like Moltres/Zapdos/Corviknight to switch into it for free.

So once Urshifu is in, it's highly threatening - we all know that. I feel like a large part of why Urshifu can feel so imposing is actually because of things like Teleport and slow U-turn users like Corviknight making it easier than ever before to bring in breakers. Every generation has Pokemon that are incredibly difficult to switch into (like Keldeo in the past), but this is exacerbated by things like Blissey or Slowbro/king being able to switch in freely against so many Pokemon (which is also made even easier by Boots) and getting to bring in Urshifu completely safely with Teleport. Now in order to prevent this, the opposing player needs to bring out something that threatens Urshifu when the Blissey or Slowbro/king goes for Teleport, but that requires you to risk switching something into a status move or Scald from the Blissey or Slowbro/king, which isn't ideal. It does still create some degree of guessing though and makes the player think more than just clicking Teleport without a care in the world. In a similar vein, I want to echo what talah previously said here about not thinking that Future Sight is as overbearing as some people make it seem. In order to get off a Future Sight and then Teleport into an Urshifu, the Slowbro/king user needs two turns, which gives you a free opportunity to bring out something that either threatens Slowbro/king (preventing it from sponging a hit and Teleporting) or something that threatens Urshifu and doesn't mind potentially taking a Future Sight (although there aren't a ton of Pokemon that fit that latter description, it does include things like Mandibuzz/Scarfed Fairies like Magearna, Clef, Lele, and Fini, and also something like Cinderace, which Urshifu can't come in on and Cinderace can U-turn out before the Future Sight hits). Again though, while I do think that it's a good idea to play aggressively against Future Sight-Teleport Slowbro/king, you still need to risk something eating a Scald switching in, so it's not a perfect way to deal with it. I've found that a lot of players can get complacent and just go through the motions with clicking Future Sight + Teleport, so it's good to try to steal the momentum away from them, and at the very worst, force them into a Scald or Future Sight guessing game.

The last few things I want to mention about Urshifu are Urshifu's ability ignoring Protect, Wicked Blow and Close Combat's limited PP, and Sucker Punch. I wish that Urshifu had a different ability than Unseen Fist, since being able to scout against it with Protect would go a long way to handling it. Clef being able to run Wish + Protect + Teleport against it would also be nice. I also wish that there was a viable Urshifu switch-in that had Pressure, since I never personally ran out of PP on Wicked Blow or CC, but it's conceivable that both of those could happen, and it would be a real countermeasure if something with Pressure could handle it. Again, if you could scout with Protect against it, you could waste its PP better as well. Finally, Urshifu having access to Sucker Punch goes a long way in cleaning up games and saved me on a few occasions. Clicking Sucker Punch with a Choice Band is usually a scary commitment, but your opponent not attacking Urshifu with a potential revenge killer is also scary. Obviously non-Banded Urshifu don't have to worry about this and can click Sucker Punch much more impudently. So I get that this paragraph may not have been the most useful, since it's pointless to theorize or yearn for Urshifu to be different, but I wanted to include it as a way of illustrating how some traditional strategies against Choice-locked Pokemon (like scouting with Protect or PP stalling) don't really apply to Urshifu.

Alright so this was kind of a long and rambling post about Urshifu and the current metagame (I randomly woke up at 5:00 this morning and decided to try to get reqs, so please bear with me), but I'll try to sum up my thoughts here. Urshifu doesn't really feel broken to me, but it also doesn't feel very healthy for the meta either. This was probably me getting impatient, but I had a fair number of games where I just clicked Wicked Blow twice on incoming Moltres/Zapdos and hoped that I didn't get burned or paralyzed (which is 51% likely to occur over the course of two hits), and that scenario felt pretty silly to me (although that's also largely due to the nature of Flame Body and Static). I also usually tried to weaken/status/Knock the Moltres and Zapdos before just clicking away with Urshifu, and that interaction isn't particularly unhealthy or anything, but it still felt kind of stupid to me that 49% of the time, I blew through one of the opposing team's sturdiest defensive Pokemon and freed up more clicking in the future. I get that any team relying on Moltres or Zapdos to be their only check to Urshifu is kind of asking for it, but still, it didn't really sit right with me how the birds are really good answers to so many physical attackers, but it comes down to RNG (and usually a sac anyway) as to whether or not they can do anything to Urshifu. It's difficult as well for me to think about Urshifu in a vacuum, because things like Magearna, Spectrier, and even a Cinderace that hits its moves usually felt more "broken" to me than Urshifu (again though, I acknowledge that the team you use greatly influences your views on things like that). I also know that you're not supposed to think about other Pokemon potentially being banned and instead should only focus on the one being suspected (Urshifu in this case), but that feels a little hard for me to do when you still run into a bunch of Magearna and Spectrier while laddering. Back to Urshifu though, I feel like a well-prepared team that is positioned well throughout a game should be able to handle Urshifu the vast majority of the time, but I suppose you could say that about any Pokemon. Urshifu does constrict teambuilding in the sense that you need a check specifically for it and it does distort gameplay at times into uncomfortable guessing games, where you don't want Urshifu to come in freely but you don't want to get crippled instead switching into something like Blissey or Slowbro/king (although I think that's more because of Teleport, and to a lesser extent, Boots).

In conclusion, and as I stated in the beginning, I'm leaning on using my vote to Ban Urshifu, but not because I personally find it to be "broken" in the way that something like Kyurem-Black or Landorus-I felt to me. Instead, I think that an Urshifu ban based on how it can warp building and playing feels more warranted. Urshifu can constrict teambuilding, since it usually forces you to account for it in several ways or run more niche sets, and it can be awkward to play against, because at times I feel like you need to put yourself more at risk to prevent Urshifu from coming in unimpeded (and this feels especially true if Urshifu is being used in conjunction with Future Sight + Teleport, or at times just a Teleport user like Blissey alone). So yeah, those are my thoughts, and like I said, I'm going to keep thinking about where I stand on this before it comes time to vote. I apologize for this probably overly long post and I don't think that I said anything too groundbreaking anyway; I just felt obligated to give my thoughts in greater detail, since I did qualify to vote. Thanks to anyone who read or skimmed this over!

Last edited:
I vote no ban.
Several problems with this: One, most of the stuff that outspeeds Urshifu either can't switch in, gets their face bashed in by Sucker Punch, or both. Second, Fairies fear Iron Head and Poison Jab, the latter of which it often runs. Not helping is the fact that most fairies (aka all of them except Tapu Koko and Alolatales) are slower than Urshifu, and thus get rekt before they can attack.

I'd like to add a defense of Urshifu-S here.

I think the original poster said it best when they mentioned how it's hard to get Urshifu into play at all. It can't come in on almost any special move, can't come in on any Fairy type, and can't come in on any status at all. It requires pivoting support to get into play and sits in a middling speed tier that leaves it unable to outspeed many common offensive pokemon and unable to sweep after getting its initial kill. Yes, it's true that there aren't too many completely safe switch ins to it, but consider that for for balance/stall teams these options are available if needed and for more offensively oriented teams, there are revenge killers that can take advantage of it after it kills whatever pokemon you want the least. Getting Urshifu into play isn't that easy and it doesn't win you the game when done. Consider Cinderace or Nidoking, who often sweep against an unprepared team, or the recently banned Pheromosa, who can sweep with the potential of boosting. Urshifu can't do any of these things. It's predictable and strong, though certainly on the upper end of power on the tier. I would urge users who are considering a ban to think about where they want the power of OU in gen 8 to be. I don't love getting swept by Wicked Blow, but feel that Urshifu is predictable enough that proactive play is sufficient to keep it at a healthy power level in the tier. I hope that after consideration you will find the same.

I will be voting no ban on Urshifu-S.

options are available if needed
This is mostly the part that bugs me and many of the other ban voters. Yes, we tend to gloss over how hard it is to get Urshifu into play, but considering how it always comes in safely after a K.O., especially on offensive teams, and the widespread popularity of pivots, this is usually hardly something the Urshifu opposer can think about.

It's more that these options aren't just "if needed," they are required, and if you're not running a very specific team structure that allows for Buzzwole's momentum sap then your only options are the liable-to-get-worn-down Fini and Clef, both of which can be broken through on the (not so) rare occasion Urshifu is up with a Future Sight. Of course, you could run Pex + Dark Resist, or Tangrowth + everything resist, but then that's just piling on more cores that are forced specifically for this mon. It's not just about sweep or no sweep, in this case Urshifu's effect in the teambuilder is just as threatening as in play, where one wrong prediction can send you spiraling into unwallable chaos that can only be solved by running HO.

If I got reqs, I'd vote Ban. There are no sensible reasons to keep Urshifu SS in the tier.
There are 4 main reasons for banning it
  • There are only a handful of pokemon that can switch into a banded Wicked Blow. Clefable, Toxapex, Buzzwole and the like are fair enough to slip onto teams to improve the ursh matchup, and are generic enough to have utility elsewhere. However, when combined with Future Sight, the non Dark checks have severe issues handling urshifu's enslaught.
  • Unseen Fist invalidating common PP stall strategies to remove Wicked Blow is brutal. Also bypassing Baneful Bunker is huge, meaning that it can't be poisoned by the contact into Baneful bunker.
  • Wicked blow is silly by always critting. Invalidating intimidate and defense boosts is nasty, as there isn't much you can do to try buff/debuff vs it.
  • It has access to priority to eliminate faster threats. The priority can be abused by status (like dragapult using will o wisp or sub) but a bad prediction leaves you eating a wicked blow.
I've seen people say that it can't switch in easily... That maybe true, but pivoting moves exist, and can be used to being it in safely, especially teleport. Teleport guarentee that ursh is fine on the switch, leading to pain. It can handle fairies with coverage in Poison Jab or Iron Head. A wrong prediction, and bye bye fairy.
This is all for the banded set. Now, we have started to see 4 attack LO and Bulk Up too. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, the main advantage being not locked into moves, which can mess up the predictions, and create a bigger challenge.

TL;DR urshifu is just too much for the format to handle.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

I think the original poster said it best when they mentioned how it's hard to get Urshifu into play at all. It can't come in on almost any special move, can't come in on any Fairy type, and can't come in on any status at all. It requires pivoting support to get into play and sits in a middling speed tier that leaves it unable to outspeed many common offensive pokemon and unable to sweep after getting its initial kill. Yes, it's true that there aren't too many completely safe switch ins to it, but consider that for for balance/stall teams these options are available if needed and for more offensively oriented teams, there are revenge killers that can take advantage of it after it kills whatever pokemon you want the least. Getting Urshifu into play isn't that easy and it doesn't win you the game when done. Consider Cinderace or Nidoking, who often sweep against an unprepared team, or the recently banned Pheromosa, who can sweep with the potential of boosting.
I feel like the "Urshifu cannot get in enough" point is pretty much invalidated by how common Teleport, slow U-turn, slow Volt Switch, etc. are in this metagame. It is very possible and almost easy to get anything in multiple times across the game nowadays. Pheromosa switched into quite literally nothing, but managed to do this enough to easily break the tier, for example.

With all due respect, your point on sweeping unprepared teams is confusing and arguably irrelevant, too. Nidoking is much easier to revenge kill than Urshifu and is more capable of 2HKOing the entire tier (barring Blissey) than it is OHKOing much; Urshifu is far more likely to sweep, especially with priotity and potential for Bulk Up. I find this comparison to be a seemingly random addition to your post regardless as if something can outright sweep or not is really not much of a factor here. The fact of the matter is that we are using this thread to determine if Urshifu is broken and this deviates pretty far off topic. The more important things are to look at what canactually check and counter it, to which you provide minimal actual substance. Which brings me to my point: if you are not using Clefable, Buzzwole, or banking on it being CB + using a Mandi/Pex type of core, you're going to struggle badly against Urshifu. This alone is super limiting.

Urshifu can't do any of these things. It's predictable and strong, though certainly on the upper end of power on the tier. I would urge users who are considering a ban to think about where they want the power of OU in gen 8 to be. I don't love getting swept by Wicked Blow, but feel that Urshifu is predictable enough that proactive play is sufficient to keep it at a healthy power level in the tier. I hope that after consideration you will find the same.

Can you explain what you mean by proactive play? Are there any examples of this beyond "if I send in the wrong Pokemon, I lose a Pokemon" if you lack outright checks and counters like those I outlined above? Because if not, then this point holds no actual weight.

I think the original poster said it best when they mentioned how it's hard to get Urshifu into play at all. It can't come in on almost any special move, can't come in on any Fairy type, and can't come in on any status at all. It requires pivoting support to get into play and sits in a middling speed tier that leaves it unable to outspeed many common offensive pokemon and unable to sweep after getting its initial kill. Yes, it's true that there aren't too many completely safe switch ins to it, but consider that for for balance/stall teams these options are available if needed and for more offensively oriented teams, there are revenge killers that can take advantage of it after it kills whatever pokemon you want the least. Getting Urshifu into play isn't that easy and it doesn't win you the game when done. Consider Cinderace or Nidoking, who often sweep against an unprepared team, or the recently banned Pheromosa, who can sweep with the potential of boosting. Urshifu can't do any of these things. It's predictable and strong, though certainly on the upper end of power on the tier. I would urge users who are considering a ban to think about where they want the power of OU in gen 8 to be. I don't love getting swept by Wicked Blow, but feel that Urshifu is predictable enough that proactive play is sufficient to keep it at a healthy power level in the tier. I hope that after consideration you will find the same.

"proactive play" wth does that mean. Unseen fist makes poison or pp stall impossible, and nothing likes taking a wicked blow from this. Urshifu does not give two fricks about predictability, it spams wicked blow, close combat, and the occasional poison jab.

Like Finch above me said, Shifu isn't what you would call "hard to put into a game." His main teammate are the Slow twins, which means as long as Slowbro/king are above half health, they can bring him in as many times as they want with Teleport. Combining this with Future Sight makes it hard to come into Urshifu as nothing in the tier can resist the Fighting/Dark/Psychic combo.

Also, I don't really appreciate you bringing Nidoking into this. Unlike Cinderace, Pheromosa, and Urshifu, he doesn't have the big three: Speed, Priority, and U-turn. He doesn't have the best speed, so unless you run a Choice Scarf on him, he's not gonna be outspeeding potent threats easily. He doesn't have priority, so no Sucker Punch, Accelerock, or even Fake Out, so revenge killers can come in and finish him off. No pivoting moves means he can't switch out and bring momentum to other teammates. He's a strong wallbreaker, yeah, but let's not put him on the same podium as Cinderace, Phero, and Shifu.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
"proactive play" wth does that mean. Unseen fist makes poison or pp stall impossible, and nothing likes taking a wicked blow from this. Urshifu does not give two fricks about predictability, it spams wicked blow, close combat, and the occasional poison jab.
I can't speak for what bbears had in mind (although on an unrelated note, they seem to like Herbie Hancock, so they're cool in my book; Head Hunters is one of the greatest albums of all time), but to me, playing "proactively" against Urshifu means positioning yourself aggressively to not let it come in for free. I talked about this in my earlier post and went into greater detail specifically about playing against Future Sight + Teleport Slowbro/Slowking, but I'll give another specific example here. Say the opposing team has a Blissey and an Urshifu, and your team has an Excadrill and a Tornadus-Therian. If their Blissey is out, you may be tempted to go to Excadrill, since it's immune to both Thunder Wave and Toxic if the Blissey goes for status and Excadrill can Spin away Rocks if Blissey gets them up. However, if you go to Excadrill and your opponent Teleports out of Blissey and into Urshifu, you're on the back foot and need to hope that you have a dedicated switch-in to Urshifu (which again, there aren't too many of, and is why Urshifu restricts teambuilding). So instead of letting Blissey get a free Teleport into Urshifu, you can bring out your Tornadus to prevent Urshifu from coming in (provided your Torn is healthy enough to live a Sucker Punch). However, Blissey could go for something like Thunder Wave when you switch in your Tornadus, and all of a sudden your Torn becomes severely crippled for the remainder of the game. The other thing is even if the Blissey does go for Teleport, they could end up bringing in a different option to deal with Tornadus (assuming they have one) - that's why defensive Pokemon like Blissey or Slowbro/Slowking also being fantastic sources of momentum with Teleport has such a big impact on SS. Before I talked about how the "guessing game" regarding trying to position yourself aggressively against Urshifu doesn't feel particularly healthy to me, and that can be assuaged if you have something like Clef, Rocky Helmet Pex + a pivot (which still is threatened by Bulk Up Urshifu unless you also have a Ditto for added insurance), or Buzzwole on your team, but that leads to the teambuilding constraints that Urshifu causes. I do agree with the idea that playing proactively against an Urshifu can greatly limit its effectiveness, but it also feels to me like it forces you to take too many risks simply due to the presence alone of Urshifu on the opposing team. So in conclusion, I think that Urshifu is more unhealthy than "broken" (although I don't really like either of those words because everyone can interpret them differently), and its presence in the tier having such a big impact on both teambuilding and decision making during games, is what is making me lean towards using my vote to ban it.

Edit: One other tangentially related thing about Urshifu that I want to address is that some people feel like removing Urshifu will make stall stronger. Now first, I think it's undeniable that many users are prejudiced against stall (and sometimes I see anything remotely defensive get erroneously labeled as "stall"), and even though I personally enjoy slower and more deliberate games, I won't deny that a metagame that ends up overly defensive is detrimental (and on the flipside, I don't think that an overly offensive meta is a good thing either). However, even if a tiering change does end up favoring stall, or any other playstyle, that's not inherently a problem, so long as a certain playstyle doesn't become too oppressive, or a playstyle isn't rendered unviable after a ban. Now with that being said, I think that if Urshifu is banned, it may end up actually hurting stall more than helping it. Any properly built stall team should be prepared to handle Urshifu, so I don't think that Urshifu's inclusion in the tier is really hurting stall anyway (not like I feel that stall is overbearing at the moment either). However, as other users have pointed out, two of Urshifu's biggest "weaknesses" are it being difficult to bring in at times and being susceptible to revenge killing (although revenge killing non-Banded versions with Sucker Punch can be challenging). The team I used to get reqs was a stall/semi-stall team that had a Banded Urshifu of its own, and I found Urshifu to be more useful on that team than on any other offensive team I've used. I was able to frequently and reliably bring Urshifu in thanks to Teleport from Blissey and a slow U-turn from Corviknight. If my Urshifu punched a hole in the opposing team and picked up a KO, but then was threatened out by what my opponent brought in next, the team I used had plenty of defensive options to usually have a safe switch-in. Urshifu being a Dark resist that I could pivot to from my Rocky Helmet Pex against opposing Urshifu also was really nice. Conversely, offensive teams can sometimes struggle to safely bring in Urshifu (unless you use Volt Switch or U-turn while your opponent switches to something that Urshifu can threaten) and usually can't switch into potential revenge killers of Urshifu well. Obviously Urshifu is still a very powerful Pokemon and works well on many offensive teams, but I got the feeling that some people who are afraid of an absence of Urshifu leading to more stall weren't too familiar with how Urshifu can actually be a great asset to stall.

Last edited:
By proactive play I meant doing things like having Taunt for the Slowbro's Teleport, or maintaining your momentum in such a way that the slow turner cannot come in and do its thing. I was alluding to the fact that Urshifu is best when it's in on a mon that it kills, and it tends to be very bad otherwise. Other options for proactive play include maintaining a Toxic Spike or switching in an Urshifu check to the pivoting move so they're forced to go into a mon that your team can deal with better. In essence I meant doing anything that doesn't simply allow the opponent to execute their gameplan of pivoting into Urshifu and scoring an easy kill.

As far as checks that aren't playing a Buzzwole or something, I've played a Tangrowth + Pex with helmets and switched back and forth to chip it down and I've played just one of those with a Tapu Fini, which can eat one Future Sight + Wicked Blow. All of these have been mentioned above. Yes, if your team has nothing that can take a Wicked Blow and do something afterwards then Urshifu will be trouble; I agree that it is slightly limiting. Most good pokemon limit your opponent's options in some way shape or form. Unlike some mons (Pheromosa, Spectrier, and Garchomp being ones that spring to mind), the price of not having a switch in is that you lose a mon and put in something that has a reasonably powerful special move to force out Urshifu, and not that you lose the game on the spot. Sometimes they play Bulk Up, but the setup version lacks a lot of the oomph of comparable setup sweepers in the tier in my opinion, and I've found it easier to deal with.

As far as the point on being cleanly swept by Urshifu as opposed to something like Nidoking what I meant was that Urshifu's coverage is much worse than that mon, and I've found myself losing my whole team to Wicked Blow less common than I have to Nidoking's array of moves ones my defensive cores are chipped. Nidoking can also overpower Blissey with Superpower, and Urshifu has very limited ability to overpower the mons that hard counter it (it can never, ever beat Buzzwole in a million years, for example no matter what it does). Nidoking has good cleanup potential, not sweeping, and is harder to find a switch-in to in some ways. In my original post I misspoke on this in particular. If you find this example irrelevant perhaps it is -- feel free to substitute Pheromosa, Cinderace, Spectrier, or whatever your least favorite fast offensive threat with good coverage is here and take up the question again. Or drop the comparison entirely and consider the rest of the argument.

I would add though that posters below me seem to have bypassed the original point that if a mon can only get a kill and then leave it is less good than a mon that can get a kill and then get another and another and another once it is in. This is not irrelevant and I'm sure we've all noticed the difference. A lot of mons that can't switch into Wicked Blow can take one and kill Urshifu back once they're in after Urshifu gets its first kill. It is much harder to find a mon that you can put into something like Cinderace, which has enough raw power and coverage to beat a lot of mons that could check it and requires scouting to play around securely. Urshifu has relatively poor coverage since a lot of the mon's power is tied up in Wicked Blow, which is admittedly an outrageous move. You can feel fairly confident that Urshifu will click Wicked Blow and then do it again and again, unlike other offensive threats which could do a variety of scary things.

I could continue to respond to the reasonable critiques of my post, but in the spirit of proactivity I'll offer my impressions of Urshifu from a teambuilding perspective, since limiting teambuilding options seems to be the sticking point for a lot of Ban voters. Walling or otherwise repelling Urshifu is a challenge that does not require playing a mon that can simply stand in front of it in my experience, and the same cannot be said for other offensive threats. There is no creative counterplay to something like Spectrier -- you just have to have a mon that stands in front of it forever or it'll smash your whole team. There is no creative counterplay to Regieleki -- play a Ground type or accept giant momentum loss anytime it gets into play. You can play good mons like Toxapex, Mandibuzz, and Tapu Fini that cover multiple bases to check Urshifu, and if you're completely tired of the pokemon and you want it to never be able to crack you ever, then you have Buzzwole. Yes, Future Sight pressure is extremely strong and can definitely overpower you if you're not ready for it, but I think there are enough options to break it up or interrupt it that I feel comfortable voting No Ban.

If you're not convinced then obviously it's your prerogative to vote the way you feel. I noticed that a lot of this thread was people of like mind, and I wanted to offer my contrary opinion for the purpose of discussion. I hope that you will consider some of my points. I've actually enjoyed playing with and against Urshifu and I would be sad to see it go. I'll reiterate my statement on the last suspect announcement and hope that the council will take up the question of Magearna in the near future, as that's a mon that I think deserves a ban. Please feel free to continue to respond to my post, but I can't guarantee that I'll address all your arguments.

I am getting afraid about how many people dont want urshifu banned. This pokemon is a pain in the ass, and I dont like running fairy on every team, also if urshifu decides to run adamant, it always ko tangroth, hippodown, mandibuzz. Most rillaboom, Kyurem and some nidokings run neutral speed nature, making adamant viable unlike garchomp that might sacrifice an important speed tier. Banning urshifu will allow pokemon like bisharp, crawdaunt and conkeldurr to shine. Playing against urshifu is like dying to sucker punch or wicked blow on the switch. Guessing wrong is worse than dracovish clickibg outrage on seismitoed. And clefable is a horreundous counter because is always force to recover after getting hit if running choiband. In conclusion I want this pokemon banned to allow the metagame to get better and then we take action with moms like spectrier, ace and mag so I would be happy if someone shares or has similar opinions to me.

He [Nidoking] doesn't have priority, so no Sucker Punch, Accelerock, or even Fake Out, so revenge killers can come in and finish him off.
I have a small correction. Nidoking actually has access to Sucker Punch, you just never see it because it has neither the place nor the power to get use out of it, so your point still stands. I am sorry if it is a bit too off topic but I wanted to carify that.

I am getting afraid about how many people dont want urshifu banned. This pokemon is a pain in the ass, and I dont like running fairy on every team, also if urshifu decides to run adamant, it always ko tangroth, hippodown, mandibuzz. Most rillaboom, Kyurem and some nidokings run neutral speed nature, making adamant viable unlike garchomp that might sacrifice an important speed tier. Banning urshifu will allow pokemon like bisharp, crawdaunt and conkeldurr to shine. Playing against urshifu is like dying to sucker punch or wicked blow on the switch. Guessing wrong is worse than dracovish clickibg outrage on seismitoed. And clefable is a horreundous counter because is always force to recover after getting hit if running choiband. In conclusion I want this pokemon banned to allow the metagame to get better and then we take action with moms like spectrier, ace and mag so I would be happy if someone shares or has similar opinions to me.
Don't worry man. Urshifu will be getting the ban hammer for sure. There are no safe switch ins besides buzzwole (which is terrible), it has a solid speed tier and can threaten offense with stab sucker punch off 130 base attack. Bulk up variants can destroy counterplay to the banded variants. It is super easy to get on the field with volt turn or teleport. No way is thing staying OU.

The problem is, getting Urshifu in is not nearly as hard as you make it sound thanks to Teleport, Volt Switch and U-turn. Also, most of the revenge killers can't come in, and the tiny handful of stuff that outspeeds Urshifu will probably get their face bashed in by Sucker Punch (and of course, all the Urshifu player has to do is switch out to foil your attempt at revenge killing - it's not like they're obligated to stay in).

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
The problem is, getting Urshifu in is not nearly as hard as you make it sound thanks to Teleport, Volt Switch and U-turn. Also, most of the revenge killers can't come in, and the tiny handful of stuff that outspeeds Urshifu will probably get their face bashed in by Sucker Punch (and of course, all the Urshifu player has to do is switch out to foil your attempt at revenge killing - it's not like they're obligated to stay in).
Hey, I don't want to come across as I'm arguing with you, and I'm also not defending Urshifu, but I want to mention a couple of things. First, Urshifu can only threaten revenge killers with Sucker Punch if it isn't Choice Banded (or the rarer Scarf set, although Scarfed Urshifu would have less use for Sucker Punch anyway). Even if the Urshifu isn't Choice-locked, clicking Sucker Punch against revenge killers is usually very telegraphed and can be abused by something like a Wisp/T-Wave Dragapult or Sub/Wisp Spectrier. Secondly, being able to just switch out against potential revenge killers really isn't as insignificant as you make it sound. Say Urshifu gets a kill and then the opponent brings out a Cinderace, now all of a sudden you're the one that needs to hope you have a decent switch-in, and often times I feel like Cinderace is harder to switch into than Urshifu. Similarly, if your opponent brings out something that can set-up, like Magearna, you could just lose on the spot unless you happen to have an answer for that particular set. Now you may also feel that things like Magearna and Cinderace are too much for the tier as well (especially Magearna), and you could object to using them as examples of things that can put you in a bad spot if they come in on Urshifu, and sure, that's fair, but the point is that no team can have an answer for absolutely everything that can come in to threaten Urshifu. Stall/semi-stall teams will usually have an easier time switching out after Urshifu picks up a KO, which is why I mentioned in my previous post how I actually prefer Urshifu on more defensive teams, but even those teams are going to have trouble switching in to some Pokemon. Being forced to switch out and give up momentum is never a good thing and can end up completely turning the tides of some games, so I don't think that it should just be glossed over. Urshifu often picks up one KO at a time and is then forced to switch out, which is why I believe it is far less "broken" than something like Pheromosa (or even Spectrier, but that's a discussion for a latter date) that is able to much more easily snowball through teams. Although to be fair as well, Urshifu is significantly bulkier than something like Pheromosa, so even if it isn't faster than what comes in against it after a sac, it can still live a hit fairly comfortably from something like Scarfed Lando and has a good shot to OHKO it back with Wicked Blow, thanks to crits ignoring Intimidate drops. Again though, I feel a need to reiterate my position because I don't want to be perceived as an Urshifu apologist and have an angry mob turn their pitchforks against me - I think that Urshifu is not really "broken" in that it feels more manageable to play against and usually less exclusively decisive on the outcomes of games than something like Pheromosa did, but it does feel "unhealthy" to me in how it contorts teambuilding and decision making in games. I think this makes Urshifu more akin to something like Dracovish in that regard, although I feel like Dracovish warped teambuilding more but didn't alter the way you needed to actually play games as much as Urshifu does. All in all, I still don't really like Urshifu and what it does to the tier, so I'll likely use my vote for banning it, but I think that the reasons are more nuanced than just viewing Urshifu as an unexploitable and braindead killing machine (although that can be the case against unprepared or weakened teams, which ties back to Urshifu being more restrictive than broken). I hope that makes sense; I probably won't keep posting in this thread as much as I have the past few days but I've been thinking about Urshifu a lot since getting reqs and thought that sharing my perspective could be helpful, or at least is something that I should do to justify how I end up voting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)