Metagame np: Stage 4 - Celebration (Feraligatr Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, its his best third move coverage, as its his strongest move to use against bulky waters. earthquake isnt even needed, unless you want the ohko on lanturn, and even then, volt switch can only manage around 50% from the standard pivot set. crunch solidly 2HKOs it without hazards at +1

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I hope some extreme psychological warfare happens with Typhlosion v. Every Fire Type. Just having Typhlosion on your team almost forces the opponent to play safely or you will be met with the wrath of Eruption god. Sub 3 attacks typh could be cool with this too, to abuse any choice locked fire mons. Kind of a niche set considering ninetales exists, but it's a cute idea imo!!

zzzz my nigga queen tryna get free likes with the old af set of champions joke lmao

Ah my boy gatr is back with a vengence. DD Gatr destroys faster, frailer teams so expect the meta to shift around a lot slower,bulkier teams once it is released. Ill probably make a more extensive post later but im on mobile rn and wanted to get my inital reaction out there.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Okay, so Virizion is OP. Both its Swords Dance sets and Calm mind sets are extremely powerful and have different counters, and it resides at a very high speed tier, which means it can only be revenge-killed by choice scarfers and stuff like Archeops. It even has zen headbutt for Weezing and Vileplume.

Heliolisk is great and definitely an S-rank pokemon. It is fast and relatively strong, and has fantastic coverage, but its lack of access to boosting moves stop it from being broken IMO. Life orb is definitely the best item on it, but it can run scarf too and be a strong pivot.

Now, Claydol is pretty meh in general, but here's a cool set that I innovated:

Claydol @ leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Earth Power
-Psychic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-208573596 Nice replay of it in action

Don't underestimate this set- Claydol can set up against quite a lot of things, and it gets perfect coverage with its two STABs.

Okay, so Virizion is OP. Both its Swords Dance sets and Calm mind sets are extremely powerful and have different counters, and it resides at a very high speed tier, which means it can only be revenge-killed by choice scarfers and stuff like Archeops. It even has zen headbutt for Weezing and Vileplume.

Heliolisk is great and definitely an S-rank pokemon. It is fast and relatively strong, and has fantastic coverage, but its lack of access to boosting moves stop it from being broken IMO. Life orb is definitely the best item on it, but it can run scarf too and be a strong pivot.

Now, Claydol is pretty meh in general, but here's a cool set that I innovated:

Claydol @ leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Earth Power
-Psychic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-208573596 Nice replay of it in action

Don't underestimate this set- Claydol can set up against quite a lot of things, and it gets perfect coverage with its two STABs.
Glad you are having fun with the new mon. However virizion is far from op currently even without doublade here to save us all. Its been what 3 days? Virizion has numerous weaknesses which can be exploited. It also has 4mss so it doesnt have enough noveslots for everything.

As for claydol i personally would replace psychic stab for ice beam so ur not walled by numerous psychics, including opposing claydol.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Glad you are having fun with the new mon. However virizion is far from op currently even without doublade here to save us all. Its been what 3 days? Virizion has numerous weaknesses which can be exploited. It also has 4mss so it doesnt have enough noveslots for everything.

As for claydol i personally would replace psychic stab for ice beam so ur not walled by numerous psychics, including opposing claydol.
Good idea, I forgot that a lot of them got Levitate..I don't know why I'm using this set over something like Mesprit honestly, although it's worked pretty well. Maybe for surprise value.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Alright, so here's a set that I came up with last night, and have been brainstorming about for the past few hours. Haven't tested it yet, haven't even built a team with it yet, but I feel it has the potential to be usable so I'm gonna post about it :]

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 188 HP / 80 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Taunt / Synthesis

Meet NU's SubCM Raikou clone. Basically wait until mid-late game, come in on something that can't break a Max HP Virizion's sub [hint: any bulky water] and proceed to Sub and CM up. Unfortunately, Virizion isn't Raikou, and doesn't have base 115 Special Attack. It has base 90. It's very weak, especially without boosts or a boosting item. You'll need a few boosts to kill much of anything, but the SpAtk investment helps her his less like a flimsy straw, and more like a golf club. Maybe after +3, she can hit like a small vehicle, such as a golf cart or smart car.
Anyways, as a general rule I can deduce from looking at calcs: +0 kills fuck all, +1 kills anything weak to Giga Drain, +2 kills frail neutral hits, +3 and above kills most things. The main place where this set will shine is obviously against slower, bulkier teams, once their Poison-type is dead. I can't imagine this set working without a Poison-type lure, lol; maybe try something like Banded Zen Headbutt Sawk. Anyway, you CM against slower things that can't hurt you, you sub against slower things that could hurt you, you Taunt anything that want's to Status you, Haze you, Taunt you, Encore you, Screw you over, support it's team, etc. The main versatility this set has over other CM users is it's natural SpDef, Speed, and Taunt. Virizion's Speed is its main asset, basically outspeeding everything bar Archeops, other Virizion, and Heliolisk. Synthesis is an option for the last slot I suppose, but Giga Drain + Lefties take care of your health alright as it is, and most turns that you would spend Synthesising could be better spent CMing again, or killing something. Also Taunt is almost too good to even justify a slash.

That's about all I have to say about CM Viriz. An offensive CM set is obviously outclassed by it's own SD set, as it posses better STABs, and better coverage. At least a bulkier CM set kind of has a niche - it might be able to shit on stall teams* and could probably get a kill, or maybe even two** vs offense. Best of luck if you try this out :]

*untested
**unlikely cause literally every team has an Archeops.

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so here's a set that I came up with last night, and have been brainstorming about for the past few hours. Haven't tested it yet, haven't even built a team with it yet, but I feel it has the potential to be usable so I'm gonna post about it :]

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 80 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Taunt / Synthesis

Meet NU's SubCM Raikou clone. Basically wait until mid-late game, come in on something that can't break a Max HP Virizion's sub [hint: any bulky water] and proceed to Sub and CM up. Unfortunately, Virizion isn't Raikou, and doesn't have base 115 Special Attack. It has base 90. It's very weak, especially without boosts or a boosting item. You'll need a few boosts to kill much of anything, but the SpAtk investment helps her his less like a flimsy straw, and more like a golf club. Maybe after +3, she can hit like a small vehicle, such as a golf cart or smart car.
Anyways, as a general rule I can deduce from looking at calcs: +0 kills fuck all, +1 kills anything weak to Giga Drain, +2 kills frail neutral hits, +3 and above kills most things. The main place where this set will shine is obviously against slower, bulkier teams, once their Poison-type is dead. I can't imagine this set working without a Poison-type lure, lol; maybe try something like Banded Zen Headbutt Sawk. Anyway, you CM against slower things that can't hurt you, you sub against slower things that could hurt you, you Taunt anything that want's to Status you, Haze you, Taunt you, Encore you, Screw you over, support it's team, etc. The main versatility this set has over other CM users is it's natural SpDef, Speed, and Taunt. Virizion's Speed is its main asset, basically outspeeding everything bar Archeops, other Virizion, and Heliolisk. Synthesis is an option for the last slot I suppose, but Giga Drain + Lefties take care of your health alright as it is, and most turns that you would spend Synthesising could be better spent CMing again, or killing something. Also Taunt is almost too good to even justify a slash.

That's about all I have to say about CM Viriz. An offensive CM set is obviously outclassed by it's own SD set, as it posses better STABs, and better coverage. At least a bulkier CM set kind of has a niche - it might be able to shit on stall teams* and could probably get a kill, or maybe even two** vs offense. Best of luck if you try this out :]

*untested
**unlikely cause literally every team has an Archeops.
But why this over Lilligant, who can run similar set, with less bulk (not much physical defense difference) and less starting speed, but is stronger and can run sleep powder to get the boosts easier

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Not too big a fan of that Viri set tbh. While I can see why someone would try to come up with a bulkier, mono-attacking take on CM Virizion, it's just not worth using most of the time. Mono-grass coverage in itself is mediocre; add that onto the fact that you have to compromise speed, miss out on so many things that you'd hit with fighting / coverage moves, and do 0 damage without multiple CMs when you're not running full investment leads me to believe that a standard Virizion variant would be ideal in most scenarios.

also i don't think flash fire will be too much of a difference for typh, but cannot say the same for sheer force and gatr as that may change some things, but this is only theory and we'll see when the time comes for them to be released, ofc.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

This is still the premier CM set Virizion should run; one Calm Mind and it is ready to smash faces, and can afford Life Orb every time since boosted LO Giga Drains are smexy and it doesn't need insurance against burns like SD Lum Virizion (also LO makes up for the slower boosts). Hidden Power Ice is the best Hidden Power for Viriz as it smacks the most Grass + Fighting resists in the tier, namely bulky Grasses like Vileplume, Exeggutor, and Gourgeist, and Flying-types like Scyther, Rotom-S, and Xatu; no need for HP Fire since Focus Blast easily strikes down its targets. Focus Blast also allows Virizion to blast through Fire-types and Steel-types in a single move (without costing the Hidden Power slot), which is one of Lilligant's biggest flaws.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 250-296 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 281-333 (71.3 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 218-257 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 265-315 (79.3 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Typhlosion: 339-399 (114.1 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While CM Virizion may be a bit more reliant on hazards than SD Virizion to land the solid KOes on neutral foes, Life Orb gives its attacks better initial power, which can put less pressure on the need to boost. Never mind that CM Virizion can shit on one of SD Virizion's biggest counters: Gourgeist isn't going to do jack about it, which forces you to carry another Virizion counter just to be safe from Viri. Even if you have a Scarf Fire-type on hand, you'd still better not Virizion dick around for too long, especially given its ability to stay healthy even after boosting.

252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Typhlosion Fire Blast vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 170-204 (52.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also run Rock Slide on Sheer Force Gatr to bop Mantine and Pelipper; Crunch does like nothing for it.

Last edited:

Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

This is still the premier CM set Virizion should run; one Calm Mind and it is ready to smash faces, and can afford Life Orb every time since boosted LO Giga Drains are smexy and it doesn't need insurance against burns like SD Lum Virizion (also LO makes up for the slower boosts). Hidden Power Ice is the best Hidden Power for Viriz as it smacks the most Grass + Fighting resists in the tier, namely bulky Grasses like Vileplume, Exeggutor, and Gourgeist, and Flying-types like Scyther, Rotom-S, and Xatu; no need for HP Fire since Focus Blast easily strikes down its targets. Focus Blast also allows Virizion to blast through Fire-types and Steel-types in a single move (without costing the Hidden Power slot), which is one of Lilligant's biggest flaws.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 250-296 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 281-333 (71.3 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 218-257 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 265-315 (79.3 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Typhlosion: 339-399 (114.1 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While CM Virizion may be a bit more reliant on hazards than SD Virizion to land the solid KOes on neutral foes, Life Orb gives its attacks better initial power, which can put less pressure on the need to boost. Never mind that CM Virizion can shit on one of SD Virizion's biggest counters: Gourgeist isn't going to do jack about it, which forces you to carry another Virizion counter just to be safe from Viri. Even if you have a Scarf Fire-type on hand, you'd still better not Virizion dick around for too long, especially given its ability to stay healthy even after boosting.

252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Typhlosion Fire Blast vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 170-204 (52.4 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also run Rock Slide on Sheer Force Gatr to bop Mantine and Pelipper; Crunch does like nothing for it.
Crunch hits based god frillish

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Being a completely newcomer to NU with like no knowledge of the tier other than oh my god Gator is amazing here I love this; would Crunch become viable on Gator at all due to Sheer Force?
Yes, it would replace Earthquake on the DD sets and Return / Ice Punch on the SD sets. Water / Dark on the Swords Dance sets (Waterfall and Aqua Jet are both needed here) provides better type coverage than Water / Ice, especially when many of the Grass- types in NU are weak on the Physical side to begin with.

Also Crunch does plenty to bulky Psychic types when Gatr has a Life Orb.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 224-265 (51.7 - 61.2%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 168-199 (38.7 - 45.9%)

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 169-200 (47.7 - 56.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 126-149 (35.5 - 42%)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yes, it would replace Earthquake on the DD sets and Return / Ice Punch on the SD sets. Water / Dark on the Swords Dance sets (Waterfall and Aqua Jet are both needed here) provides better type coverage than Water / Ice, especially when many of the Grass- types in NU are weak on the Physical side to begin with.

Also Crunch does plenty to bulky Psychic types when Gatr has a Life Orb.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 224-265 (51.7 - 61.2%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 168-199 (38.7 - 45.9%)

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 169-200 (47.7 - 56.4%)
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 126-149 (35.5 - 42%)
The presence of Virizion in the tier makes Water + Dark coverage much riskier for SD Gatr, and the extra damage from Crunch against bulky Psychics is not too relevant considering they usually aren't the mons that give Gatr the most trouble and they detest eating +2 SF LO Waterfalls in the first place.

DD Gatrs don't need the power of Crunch to deal with the Psychics anyway considering the most they can do is status Gatr, which can backfire if DD Gatr starts running Substitute, which honestly doesn't seem too shabby of an option since it allows Gatr to ward off status; even Rock Slide doesn't seem very necessary if Gatr can beat Mantine and Pelipper by dodging their Toxics / Scalds and just wail on them with boosted hits (Mantine cannot recover health while Pelipper cannot Haze the boosts away). Hell, Sub can also be used to deal with say, Thunder Wave Qwilfish (which stops DD Gatr cold atm) while also forcing Lanturn out with its own Volt Switch without putting Gatr at much risk.

Idk how gimmicky this sounds but I wonder if DD gatr will give up ice punch for aerial ace in order to take out Virizion. Sorry if this post is too short I'm on mobile right now and it's hard to type lol

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Idk how gimmicky this sounds but I wonder if DD gatr will give up ice punch for aerial ace in order to take out Virizion. Sorry if this post is too short I'm on mobile right now
Doesn't Ice Punch at +1, with Sheer Force and LO, just KO Virizion anyways? I'm almost sure it does, and I don't see Aerial Ace getting any useful coverage anyways (does it even get the SF boost?)

Idk how gimmicky this sounds but I wonder if DD gatr will give up ice punch for aerial ace in order to take out Virizion. Sorry if this post is too short I'm on mobile right now and it's hard to type lol
Its an ok option at best, ice punch still hits plume and other misc. grass types, when sheer force comes out it wont even be considered.

adding on to punchshrooms point about crunch being unneccessary for SD Gatr, we have this scenario:

1) Gatr forces something out and sets up a Swords Dance on the turn Virizion comes in
2) Virizion Leaf Blades bringing Gatr into Torrent range, as Gatr Waterfalls Virizion

252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 299-354 (83 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (ie into Torrent)
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 242-285 (74.6 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

3) Feraligatr finishes Virizion off with Aqua Jet, which deals
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 121-143 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Basically I just can't see why SD Gatr would need to run Sheer Force, as it relies on the Torrent boost from Aqua Jet to actually sweep.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
A few cores I've been using:
+

Electric- and Fire-types have great offensive synergy, and this is really no exception. Heliolisk is just amazing in this meta and can easily clean late game with its great speed and coverage, but it struggles against some Grass-types like Vileplume and Gourgeist. Pyroar, Typhlosion, or really any other Fire-type smash Grass-types, and can easily be brought in by Volt-Turning as they switch in, while they appreciate Heliolisk's ability to switch into Water-types thanks to Dry Skin. Heliolisk can even smack Rock- and Ground-types like Toad and Rhydon that are annoying to Pyroar and Typhlosion with Grass Knot/Surf. They also share similar checks and counters like Lanturn and Hariyama, which they can weaken for each other rather easily (especially thanks to Volt Switch in Yama's case). Pyroar's great for a strong normal spam core that can cripple switch-ins with Will-O-Wisp and even break past Audino with Taunt, while Typh more immediately weakens the opposing team with its ridiculous Eruptions.

Obviously they need a switch-in to stuff like Yama, Lanturn, and Virizion (though Heliolisk can run HP Flying for this and Typh can easily live a non-LO Close Combat even after SR), but this is not exactly hard and Vileplume (the best pivot atm imo) provides all of this and more. Easily one of the best offensive cores in the meta

+

SD Virizion is one of if not the best sweeper in the meta, and our other new drop Mawile happens to pair rather well with it. LO Sheer Force Mawile is incredibly strong in spite of what that 85 Atk might lead you to believe, and after a Swords Dance only the bulkiest resists avoid the 2HKO. Its typing is also downright fantastic defensively in spite of its awful bulk, and it can switch into Ice-Types like Sneasel and Scarf Jynx, Psychic-types like non-Heat Wave Xatu (not that rare because of Malamar spam) and Musharna, and even Poison-types like Vileplume and even Garbodor (if you don't mind losing like half your health to Rocky Helmet+Aftermath) that give Virizion a lot of trouble. It also lures and weakens physical walls like Weezing (which you actually beat if you SD as it switches in and it burns you instead of going for Fire Blast, as long as you outspeed it), while also giving Virizion free set-up opportunities by forcing the opponent to bring in stuff like Toad, Ferroseed, Steelix, and Quag. Hell, it can even smack Gourgeist with Fire Blast. From there, Virizion just sweeps the opposing team

Also of note: I haven't tested stall too extensively, but I think I can safely say that
stall is good, and it patches up a lot of the holes stall usually has (mainly bulky set up sweepers)

tl;dr abuse your shiny new toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)