Metagame np: Stage 4 - Celebration (Feraligatr Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was Quagsire in OU and dropped to NU.
Quag was UU at first, but moved up to OU because I believe people were using it to counter the overcentralizing Baton Pass teams (It also checked popular threats at the time somewhat). It then moved down to UU, stayed there for a while, then dropped to RU, and now it's NU.

So there's my useless tier history lesson for you.

(I would've suggested asking this in the Simple Questions thread but recently someone posted a question VERY similar to the one NinjaStars asked)

Mega Audino is a huge threat in the current metagame in my opinion because it can beat Virizion and Heliolisk. Crodino is the most threatening set because it can set up on a lot of the current metagame leaving only strong steals and poisons to beat it. Wish/protect two attacks Mega Audino is also very good if you dont like having to rely on sleep talk rolls. Additionally, poison types are very rare due to mega Steelix being everywhere. Mega Lix is a problem however most people have found ways to handle it such as rocky helmet Xatu with heat wave or Mantine/Ludicolo.

Here are some calcs showcasing Mega Audino's bulk:

252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 93-111 (22.6 - 27%) -- 41.2% chance to 4HKO (doin nothin doin nothin)

+2 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 186-220 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO (you might have to pray that you are part of the 59% that isnt 2 hit KO'd)

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 138-164 (33.6 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (although this seems like it is doing a lot, Mega Audino can easily heal itself with rest and calm mind all over heliolisk in order to force it out)

@ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Baton Pass
- Protect

this thing right here is a fucking lord. it counters heliolisk 99% of the time (except those shitty dark pulse versions lol) and beats cm viriz and the more threatening sd viriz (if it runs zen headbutt > se which is better in this meta imo bc plume). it also beats a ton of other relevant stuff like jynx, toad, mesprit (if it doesnt run knock off), eggy (better in this meta bc it beats viriz), gatr, rott and the list goes on. i use the bp set bc shedinja forces a lot of switches so it gives a lot of momentum. sd set can also be used.

pair it with xatu + prinplup for guaranteed results

enjoying the meta so far, but helio and typh are bitches but mega lix is a bit less threatening than before (still warrants a suspect imo)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
heliolisk.jpg
Making this post because RiCH HOMiE CA$ED is lazy.

So with the recent drops we got plenty of new toys to play with, but none more deadly than Heliolisk. This lizard is incredible and is definitely a meta game defining Pokemon for a number of reasons. The first and foremost is Heliolisk's incredible coverage and its ability to customize its moveslots to fit its team; offensively Heliolisk can run Hyper Voice, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Grass Knot, Surf, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Hidden Powers, Signal Beam viably, while for more passive moveslots Heliolisk can even provide support by Glare, Thunder Wave, and Toxic as well as having Substitute + Charge Beam to destroy more defensive teams that rely on status. Next up is Heliolisk's speed, its ability to outspeed the majority of the unboosted meta means that it can tear Hyper Offense and Balance teams apart, as well as being able to give stall a run for its money with its amazing coverage. Last up is its amazing ability, Dry Skin, which not only allows it to check multiple offensive Water-types, it also allows Heliolisk to become a Scald absorber (which a lot of defensive mons rely on as their form of attack). For these reasons many people on the council, myself included, believe that Heliolisk should be added to the suspect test along with Mega-Steelix, please note that by adding Heliolisk to the suspect slate does not mean that it will be banned. I just believe that Heliolisk is good enough to be tested.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
I also think suspect testing Virizion is a good idea (no I don't want to ban everything). It has a great speed tier, impressive (580) base stats, and sooo many great sets including any combination of:
Taunt, CM, Sub, Swords Dance, Synthesis, with either Life Orb, Lefties, or Scarf.
Virizion also
has a great offensive movepool: Leaf Blade, Focus Blast, Giga Drain, Closecombat, X-Scizzor, Zen Headbutt, Stone Edge, whatever hp you dream of, with each fulfilling a need).

It is truly great and I believe it should be suspected along Helio and Megalix. Again, not trying to get it banned immediately, but I feel it definitely deserves a suspect test.

I personally view it as more broken than Helioisk, probably because I run stall/semi-stall often, but I think a suspect is warranted after especially after watching it massacre my stall bretheren QueenOfLuvdiscs yesterday.

Last edited:
Making this post because RiCH HOMiE CA$ED is lazy.

So with the recent drops we got plenty of new toys to play with, but none more deadly than Heliolisk. This lizard is incredible and is definitely a meta game defining Pokemon for a number of reasons. The first and foremost is Heliolisk's incredible coverage and its ability to customize its moveslots to fit its team; offensively Heliolisk can run Hyper Voice, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Grass Knot, Surf, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Hidden Powers, Signal Beam viably, while for more passive moveslots Heliolisk can even provide support by Glare, Thunder Wave, and Toxic as well as having Substitute + Charge Beam to destroy more defensive teams that rely on status. Next up is Heliolisk's speed, its ability to outspeed the majority of the unboosted meta means that it can tear Hyper Offense and Balance teams apart, as well as being able to give stall a run for its money with its amazing coverage. Last up is its amazing ability, Dry Skin, which not only allows it to check multiple offensive Water-types, it also allows Heliolisk to become a Scald absorber (which a lot of defensive mons rely on as their form of attack). For these reasons many people on the council, myself included, believe that Heliolisk should be added to the suspect test along with Mega-Steelix, please note that by adding Heliolisk to the suspect slate does not mean that it will be banned. I just believe that Heliolisk is good enough to be tested.
Have u run any of these sets? If u run anything outside the standard voice, surf/focus, volt, grass knot/hp/dark pulse, heliolisk is extremely underwhelming. Most defensive teams should have a reliable way to tank hits from it, be it audino, sliggoo, gourgeiest..etc. If your hyper offense teams lacks solid priority to handle this, then you are honestly bad at teambuilding.

Mega Audino is a huge threat in the current metagame in my opinion because it can beat Virizion and Heliolisk. Crodino is the most threatening set because it can set up on a lot of the current metagame leaving only strong steals and poisons to beat it. Wish/protect two attacks Mega Audino is also very good if you dont like having to rely on sleep talk rolls. Additionally, poison types are very rare due to mega Steelix being everywhere. Mega Lix is a problem however most people have found ways to handle it such as rocky helmet Xatu with heat wave or Mantine/Ludicolo.

Here are some calcs showcasing Mega Audino's bulk:

252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 93-111 (22.6 - 27%) -- 41.2% chance to 4HKO (doin nothin doin nothin)

+2 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 186-220 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO (you might have to pray that you are part of the 59% that isnt 2 hit KO'd)

252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 138-164 (33.6 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (although this seems like it is doing a lot, Mega Audino can easily heal itself with rest and calm mind all over heliolisk in order to force it out)
Honestly i feel virizion needs to go, it has 4mss, but you can never truely know what coverage virizion is running and by then its too late. Extremely good bulk and unstoppable coverage bar exeggutor means nu still isnt ready for this.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's the Sub CM Taunt set that just rips through stall because unlike stallbreaker mismag, Virizion has recovery as well as much better bulk + knock off resistance meaning that it can just set up on practically anything and just 6-0 there and then unless they have a spdef plume or a musharna, which both get dropped by sd sneasel, making stall practically impossible to use in the tier once again. No pokemon should make it so that a playstyle can't be used, so I'd be supporting a virizion suspect.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Have u run any of these sets? If u run anything outside the standard voice, surf/focus, volt, grass knot/hp/dark pulse, heliolisk is extremely underwhelming. Most defensive teams should have a reliable way to tank hits from it, be it audino, sliggoo, gourgeiest..etc. If your hyper offense teams lacks solid priority to handle this, then you are honestly bad at teambuilding.
The issue is that it's just far too easy to nab momentum with Heliolisk right now. Its Volt Switch is incredibly hard to outright stop, so most of your special walls will find themselves against highly unfavorable matchups nearly every time Heliolisk threatens a Pokemon. The Electric immune Pokemon in the tier all have difficulties switching into Heliolisk as well: the Ground-types greatly fear Surf and/or Grass Knot, while Lightningrod and Motor Drive mons take absolute loads from neutral hits. Even Lanturn, supposedly Heliolisk's best switch-in, cannot deal with Heliolisk by itself since Lanturn fails to do much back to Heliolisk and can get taken down by Hyper Voice before it even beats Helio; it usually must respond by Volt Switching to a faster teammate to check it. And that is usually against a standard moveset, but Heliolisk can very easily pack moves that lure and beat Pokemon that otherwise take its main attacks easily, such as Dark Pulse for Gourgeist and Focus Blast for Cradily, Audino, and Ferroseed, and considering the threat level posed by the standard set, you have no reason to believe it would drop one of its coverage moves for a luring attack until it is too late, and you leave yourself open to a large number of threats in the meta while Heliolisk's effectiveness very rarely suffers as a result (mostly because the teammates that appreciate its luring can conveniently make up for its unused coverage move). It's too good of a hit-and-run Pokemon (compounded by the fact that it has Dry Skin for added longevity, as well as discouraging the use of Water attacks), plus the incredible ease at which Heliolisk generates momentum while threatening a large variety of Pokemon makes it a suspect-worthy Pokemon.

Honestly i feel virizion needs to go, it has 4mss, but you can never truly know what coverage virizion is running and by then its too late. Extremely good bulk and unstoppable coverage bar exeggutor means nu still isnt ready for this.
Will pitch in my thoughts: Virizion often doesn't even need to set up to pose as a threat since its unboosted attacks can still do a decent number on NU already, it whizzes past a large majority of the tier, and even has great bulk and typing for an offensive Pokemon; this allows Virizion to put in good work even with the presence of revenge killers (which is by no means easy and usually requires a Scarf), which usually cannot afford to switch into most, if not any of Virizion's direct attacks, making them shaky checks. Furthermore, its ability to boost physically or specially elevates its threat level to frightening degrees, forcing people to run two or even more Virizion responses to keep it under control, which is made much more difficult since each of its main sets (SD Stone Edge, SD Zen Headbutt, CM) possess varying counters and checks.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
It's the Sub CM Taunt set that just rips through stall because unlike stallbreaker mismag, Virizion has recovery as well as much better bulk + knock off resistance meaning that it can just set up on practically anything and just 6-0 there and then unless they have a spdef plume or a musharna, which both get dropped by sd sneasel, making stall practically impossible to use in the tier once again. No pokemon should make it so that a playstyle can't be used, so I'd be supporting a virizion suspect.
Oh look its the set i suggested and got ripped apart for :]

Personally I don't think Viriz is anywhere near the level of Heliolisk or MegaLix. It may be really good, A+/S rank or w/e, but Heliolisk and mlix destroy multiple styles of teams, and do it with near impunity. Not really much stopping a Mlix or Heliolisk from destroying balance, breaking open stall, or picking apart HO. Virizion, however, doesn't have these traits. Against offence, its best bet is honestly LO 3 attacks to abuse its speed. if it can somehow force a switch, SD, and not just get revenged by sneasel or archeops, then SD is scary vs any structure; but not unbeatable as it's always forced to drop coverage. It's a rather weak set up sweeper [90/90 offences aren't that impressive at all] and without multiple boosts [which is difficult to get vs anything but stall/semistall] its just no where near as broken as the 2 other suspect-worthy mons. Yes, a very specific set that is literally tailored to beat stall [and sometimes still doesn't] is good against stall - does that make it immediately suspect worthy? No, at least in my opinion.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Virizion doesn't make stall unviable. Togetic, Garbodor, Xatu, SpDef Vileplume, Roselia, adorable Lampent, SpDef Flareon, and probably plenty of niche stuff can beat SubCM Taunt regardless of which STAB it's running and can beat it even if it runs dual STAB over Taunt.

I don't think Virizion is even close to suspect-worthy. In fact, I think it's healthy for the tier (in its current state at least) to have an option for offense that can patch up a fair amount of weaknesses. I mean seriously, if you look at SPL replays, every single team is balanced or bulky offense. I don't mind seeing a metagame where Crustle and Omastar aren't on every other team, but offense could use a boost that doesn't make it broken.

One thing that I've found to be quite common with the likes of heliolisk and virizion is that although they are both very good respctively, they're not quite as good as people have suggested them to be in this thread. I think that after using heliolisk after a while, it's become hugely less effective since people are carrying checks that beat it, for example psychic types like uxie and musharna check both the drops and things like cryagonal, hariyama, sliggoo, bulky special walls. They aren't hard to beat, but strictly heliolisk isn't the greninja of NU since it has stops and it can't 2 hit ko the entire tier. It's fast, but it can be outsped by certain faster mons and it's frail as fuck.

I admit it is a very, very good mon, but I think it's a mon that can be stopped since it can't come in as freely and teams change to adapt to this. I've seen less bulky waters that give it a free switch in and in general people are thinking of new ways to beat it. As I said previously in this thread, i think it is potentially suspect worthy and people have come to agree with that, but I think it's not a broken mon on it's own, just extremely good.

However, my main worries for the tier right now are offensive cores; mega-steelix and heliolisk is my main example since they pair together like a match made in heaven. I feel this core needs to split and one of them needs to go, since they're both so easy to put on teams right now and they synergize too well which could lead to some extreme centralization, so a suspect test for both would be interesting, since one or the other would need to go. It is a case of bulky waters needed to beat mega-steelix are giving heliolisk free switch ins, so either people use things that aren't mantine or prinplup or they suffer in another aspect, which would lead to the same boring teams over and over again needing to be standard in order to survive.

Leavanny @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Voila, counter to both Heliolisk and Virizion. Only thing I could find that counters both, no matter what move they run, except for 4× effective Hidden Power.
EV'd to outspeed Sneasel as well as tank Virizion's Stone Edge, allowing for either Life Orb or Stealth Rock but not both.
Same for Heliolisk's Hyper Voice; it allows for Life Orb / Specs, or Stealth Rock, but not both of these.

Adamant nature to increase the chances of OHKO'ing Virizion with Aerial Ace and Heliolisk with Leaf Blade, respectively, but you need a bit of prior damage - 2% for Virizion and 6% for Heliolisk - to ensure these OHKO's.

It isn't a full counter though, but is certainly a very solid check that can repeatedly scare them out and if worst comes to worst switch into them (assuming hazards didn't wear it down too much). Kinda annoying Leavanny is weak to Rock, if it wasn't it would be so much better. Not even for SR - it is just that so many things it want to check/counter can carry Stone Edge...

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Braker
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

EV'd similar to Leavanny; to outspeed Sneasel, remaining EV's put into HP to ensure it survives a STAB move from Heliolisk after SR, as well as Virizion's Life Orb Focus Blast. Just like Leavanny, it can tank any coverage move from both Virizion and Heliolisk (and this time, it includes Hidden Power). It is kinda obvious that Close Combat is far more spammable than a non-STAB Aerial Ace. Why isn't this mentioned first opposed to Leavanny, you ask? Because it needs SR and one layer of Spikes (16% prior damage) to ensure the OHKO Virizion with Close Combat, whereas Leavanny only need 2% of prior damage to do the same with Aerial Ace. However, non-STAB Aerial Ace means Leavanny will be set-up bait after revenging Virizion, which isn't the case as much with Sawk, using a 120 BP STAB move.

Also note that Sawk generally takes more from the STAB moves from either of these mons (even though it survives them easier), as well as coverage moves, because it has less resistances and slightly less overall bulk, but it also has less weaknesses, so it isn't going to be bopped by a random Hidden Power, whereas Leavanny can switch into the resisted STAB moves repeatedly (note that Leavanny doesn't like switching into a Volt Switch either, for obvious reasons).

Both can counter once or check repeatedly. You might want to shove more EVs into Speed, but then you can't counter once anymore ^ .

Note: I don't give a f*ck about how well these do in the current meta (especially with these EVs, lol). I just saw Virizion and Heliolisk, and wanted to come up with things that could counter either of them at least once in a match, and as such check both, which wasn't easy with the extensive coverage from Heliolisk and the mixed prowess of Virizion.

Edit: I also did not account for the possibility for Heliolisk or Virizion to run Scarf themselves. For both of them it'd be a waste though, since they are fast enough to begin with and they waste their potential when doing so.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion but Muk is by far the best pokemon in NU to use with assault vest! Here is my set:
Muk @ Assault Vest
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Touch
Evs: 4 Hp/ 252 attack/ 252 special defense
Moves:
Gunk Shot/ Poison Jab
Rock Slide/ Fire Punch
Shadow Sneak
Ice Punch/ Power-Up Punch

This set is a offensive special defense eater meaning it gonna take hits and deal damage right back! The moveset depends on what you want Muk to be able to cover his weakness! Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB attack however it misses from time to time, but Poison Jab is more reliable and it can activate Poison Touch! The second slot depends on if you wanna hit fire, flying and bug types for super effective damage (I'm talking about you Volcarona) or steel types like mega scizor! Shadow Sneak in the third slot is used for picking off enemies with low HP! For the final slot once again it depends on what you want Muk to be able to do do you want it to be able to hit ground and dragon types or do you want it to strength it offensive with power- up punch and at the same time to be able to hit normal types for super effective damage

I know that volcrona is not in NU, but I have faced many of them in upper tiers and this set for muk does eat them for breakfast lol

This is just my opinion but Muk is by far the best pokemon in NU to use with assault vest! Here is my set:
Muk @ Assault Vest
Moves:
Gunk Shot/ Poison Jab
Rock Slide/ Fire Punch
Shadow Sneak

This set is a offensive special defense eater meaning it gonna take hits and deal damage right back! The moveset depends on what you want Muk to be able to cover his weakness! Gunk Shot is a powerful STAB attack however it misses from time to time, but Poison Jab is more reliable and it can activate Poison Touch! The second slot depends on if you wanna hit fire, flying and bug types for super effective damage (I'm talking about you Volcarona) or steel types like mega scizor! Shadow Sneak in the third slot is used for picking off enemies with low HP! For the final slot once again it depends on what you want Muk to be able to do do you want it to be able to hit ground and dragon types or do you want it to strength it offensive with power- up punch and at the same time to be able to hit normal types for super effective damage

I know that volcrona is not in NU, but I have faced many of them in upper tiers and this set for muk does eat them for breakfast lol
Hey Espeon, it seems you are new here, and I am no pro to NU, but some suggestions. Like you have said, Volcarona is in BL, basically OU, but Mega Scizor is also OU, so I wouldn't bring it up here. Secondly, since Muk is more of a bulky Pokemon than a cleaner, Poison Jab is basically always preferred, as it along with Poison Touch gives a 60% chance to poison the opponent, as well as being reliable with 100% accuracy. Regarding your second moveslot, Mega Steelix is huge in this tier, and Fire Punch is doing nothing to it, and Rock Slide doesn't provide much, only giving you a super effective hit against Archeops, while other bug, flying, and fire types are hit hard by Poison Jab. I would suggest Earthquake, as it hits M-Camerupt for super effective damage, as well as bulky rock types and opposing Poison types immune to your poisoning. Priority is fine to secure double downs after poison damage, and finishing off a Typhlosion in Blaze. Fourth moveslot is best to be Ice Punch or if Mega Steelix is a super big threat to your team, you could try Focus Punch, hitting it hard on the switch, weakening it for another Pokemon to finish off. While Ice Punch hits ground types that threaten Muk with their STAB super effective EQs and such.

btw, Welcome to Smogon! :)

Muk @ Assault Vest
Moves:
Gunk Shot/ Poison Jab
Rock Slide/ Fire Punch
Shadow Sneak

I really love Assault Vest Muk, but I use some different kit:

Poison Jab/ Gunk Shot
Ice Punch
Shadow Sneak
Fire Punch/Power up Punch/ Explosion

Poison Jab its a core move with Poison touch I prefer it over Gunk Shot.

Ice Punch its vital to defend agaib the switch in "ground types", shadow sneak afford u to have priority and hit some psychic little harder
finally I love the Explosion, nobody expect that, but Fire Punch its a nice coverage move too.

Muk @ Assault Vest
Moves:
Gunk Shot/ Poison Jab
Rock Slide/ Fire Punch
Shadow Sneak

Rock is awful coverage with poison. Imo replace it with fire blast and give muk a speed lowering nature to hit dem seeds and snakes. And i dunno about power up punch on a mon not named hitmonchan or kangaskhan.

Hey Espeon, it seems you are new here, and I am no pro to NU, but some suggestions. Like you have said, Volcarona is in BL, basically OU, but Mega Scizor is also OU, so I wouldn't bring it up here. Secondly, since Muk is more of a bulky Pokemon than a cleaner, Poison Jab is basically always preferred, as it along with Poison Touch gives a 60% chance to poison the opponent, as well as being reliable with 100% accuracy. Regarding your second moveslot, Mega Steelix is huge in this tier, and Fire Punch is doing nothing to it, and Rock Slide doesn't provide much, only giving you a super effective hit against Archeops, while other bug, flying, and fire types are hit hard by Poison Jab. I would suggest Earthquake, as it hits M-Camerupt for super effective damage, as well as bulky rock types and opposing Poison types immune to your poisoning. Priority is fine to secure double downs after poison damage, and finishing off a Typhlosion in Blaze. Fourth moveslot is best to be Ice Punch or if Mega Steelix is a super big threat to your team, you could try Focus Punch, hitting it hard on the switch, weakening it for another Pokemon to finish off. While Ice Punch hits ground types that threaten Muk with their STAB super effective EQs and such.

btw, Welcome to Smogon! :)
Iirc muk doesnt learn eq, it doesnt have enough muscles to shake the ground... Or any at all.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
the Day You Have All Been Waiting For

We are suspecting Steelixite and Heliolisk. Additionally, we are replacing the NU ladder with a newly branded NU Suspect Ladder - unlike the suspect ladder of OU, Steelixite and Heliolisk will remain on the suspect ladder. If you would like to play a match without Steelixite or Heliolisk, I'm sure most people in the NU PS! chatroom would be willing to give it a go. The NU Suspect Ladder should be up sometime shortly.

To attain reqs to vote during this suspect test, you must reach 2400 COIL. The B value for this test is 20.0. For those curious, you can find out approximately how many matches you have to play to achieve reqs by inputting your GXE (shown on the ladder page & when you type /rank into the chat) into the following formula:

20.0/log2(40*GXE/2400)

(Google calculator is awesome for this kind of thing.)

We will post an alt confirmation thread towards the end of the laddering period, which will last two weeks until approximately February 26th. Votes will take place shortly after that. Feel free to use this thread to discuss all topics related to the suspect test; additionally, please read this so you don't get your post deleted. Thanks. =)

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Yeeees finally mega steelix suspect *-*
Just gonna post what i think about this 2 mons:
Heliolisk: I find this mon to be broken, it has a speed tier which is amazing in the nu tier, outspeeding most of the meta barring stuff like archeops and sneasel which cant switch into his attacks. It also has a very good special attack coupled with a extremely good movepool, with the combination of volt switch hyper voice surf and focus blast its hitting most of the tier hard with the exception of stuff like assault vest yama, which you can just volt switch out and get the appropiate counter. This akes it one of the trickiest pokes to handle, as it is hitting v hard but cant be worn down easily due to it volt switching out of his counters, and its idfferent from other volt switch mons cause no gground type will like stopping it from volt switching as they wont want to take a LO boosted surf.
All in all, i believe that heliolisk has the perfect combination of power, speed and movepool which makes it unhealthy to the meta as its way to centralizing. Im looking forward for it to get banned.

Mega Steelix: Mega steelix has gained my hate since it was introduced, because its a mon which completly stops any physical attacker thats not a water or fighting mon, and by differce of common walls, this things is hitting really hard when giving it free turns, as it has a good movepool and a base 125 attack. It also gives good support with moves like roar sr and toxic, giving it plenty of stuff to run.
In short: i think mega steelix is making a lot of mons bad, and its a centralizing force in the nu metagame which i dont believe to do any good, so i would support a ban.

EDIT:
yay 600th post .dancin

Last edited:
Its great to see mega lix finally suspected but the only thing I'm weary about is that people will solely judge on how it performs presently with Heliolisk around, its still a great mon but it definitely doesn't stand out as much as before the drops.

Some of this can be attributed to the other drops seen as they can all do some damage to mega lix but they aren't as offensively threatening as heliolisk and it can sponge a hit, hit back and switch or lix cant really do anything to them unless its running toxic which is the case for quagsire.

But 90% of the reason its not shining as much at the minute is due to heliolisk tearing apart the common cores its run with. The combination of heliolisk and typh pretty easily tears apart most teams. I'm worried that this current meta with heliolisk dominating isn't giving a good representation of m lix and people will vote for it to stay.

To clarify im not saying lix is bad it just doesn't stand out as broken and annoying as it did before we had lisk.

Yeah, I definitely think the drops from RU make Megalix much less broken than it was before. Not just Heliolisk, but Claydol, Quagsire, and specially offensive Virizion make it much less of a force. Call me a madman, but if I qualify I'm voting for it to stay. I am super happy that something offensive is potentially getting the boot, though. Heliolisk is clearly too good; I'm not sure what the meta's like in RU right now, but being a bad fit up there definitely doesn't mean it fits down here either.

Its great to see mega lix finally suspected but the only thing I'm weary about is that people will solely judge on how it performs presently with Heliolisk around, its still a great mon but it definitely doesn't stand out as much as before the drops.

Some of this can be attributed to the other drops seen as they can all do some damage to mega lix but they aren't as offensively threatening as heliolisk and it can sponge a hit, hit back and switch or lix cant really do anything to them unless its running toxic which is the case for quagsire.

But 90% of the reason its not shining as much at the minute is due to heliolisk tearing apart the common cores its run with. The combination of heliolisk and typh pretty easily tears apart most teams. I'm worried that this current meta with heliolisk dominating isn't giving a good representation of m lix and people will vote for it to stay.

To clarify im not saying lix is bad it just doesn't stand out as broken and annoying as it did before we had lisk.
IIRC during a suspect, we're only supposed to talk about how the meta with Steelix/Lisk is right now, we can't base our ban arguments on how the meta was before drops or if lisk leaves. We are supposed to judge it on how it performs with lisk around because that's the way the meta is right now. We can't be sure that the presence of Helio is what is making Steelix seem more manageable, it could be the fact that half the other drops beat it as well.

I for one am going into this suspect neutral on both mons. I can however say that Steelix has seemed much less centralizing since the drops, while Helio seems as centralizing, if not more than Lix pre-drops. I'm excited to ladder as this will be the first public suspect test since i've been a part of the NU community and it seems like a lot of good discussion will be taking place over the next 2 weeks!

I think that Heliolisk needs a suspect at this point. It is such huge bait, and it's specs set, at least from my experience, is amazing. It has really nice coverage and the ability Dry Skin which pretty much allows it to destroy Seismitoad if you play it out right, or your opponent isn't expecting Grass Knot. If it is fighting a light weight Ground type it can just surf. And if you are just grabbing momentum with Volt Switch you still hit like a truck. I think that either some major theorymoning needs to occur or we need to suspect it. Oh yeah, it also has a really good speed tier.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As for Heliolisk, I'm leaning towards no ban. It's extremely frail, and while it's good at what it does, it's torn to shreds by a slight breeze. Gurdurr comes very close to KOing it with just a Mach Punch (and has a decent chance of OHKOing it with a Mach Punch after SR damage), Heliolisk barely 2HKOes Virizion with a Life Orb Hyper Voice, and Cacturne, along with other STAB priority users, like to have their way with Heliolisk. While Cacturne gets a 50% chance to survive if it switches in on a Hyper Voice, it KOes Heliolisk with Sucker Punch. Cacturne can switch in on a grass knot or thunderbolt, so you have a 50% chance to not die if you mispedict. Furthermore, Heliolisk is hard checked, if not countered by, Hariyama. With an Assault Vest, Hariyama eats up anything that Heliolisk has to throw at it and can retaliate with a big, fat, Close Combat.

• 252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heliolisk: 206-246 (77.7 - 92.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 196-231 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

• i shouldnt have to tell you that any fighting stab from virizion gets a clean OHKO on heliolisk
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 136-161 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 122-146 (37.6 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

• 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cacturne: 255-302 (90.7 - 107.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heliolisk: 286-339 (107.9 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 142-168 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 110-133 (25.6 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 126-149 (29.3 - 34.7%) -- 10% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 64-75 (14.9 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO

As for Mega Steelix, I'm seeing that the general consensus is that it should be banned. It's basically an insta-check to any physically offensive pokemon that isn't named Feraligatr. Additionally, Mega Steelix has an attack stat larger than Hariyama's, and it even gets two STAB moves to abuse with its already gargantuan attack. Earthquake and the 120 BP Heavy Slam are this devil's adversaries. While most specially offensive fire types easily dispatch of Mega Steelix, it can just KO them with Earthquake if they try to switch in. One of its supposed checks, Mantine, its OHKOed by a Mega Steelix's Stone Edge after Stealth Rock damage. Speaking of SR, Steelix also gets the advantage of functioning as a lead because of its access to SR. There shouldn't be much I need to calc; most physical attackers fall prey to Mega Steelix and everything that doesn't resist steel gets destroyed by one of its STAB Heavy Slams.

• 252+ Atk Mega Steelix Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 312-368 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 SpA Mantine Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Steelix: 152-180 (42.9 - 50.8%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO

• 252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 82-97 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- 68.1% chance to 4HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cacturne: 313-370 (111.3 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 4 SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Steelix: 158-188 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 27.7% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Steelix Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 170-200 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

• 4 SpA Archeops Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Steelix: 150-178 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 112-132 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- 84.1% chance to 3HKO

• 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 55-66 (15.5 - 18.6%) -- possible 6HKO
  • 252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 146-174 (41.2 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Steelix Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 183-216 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • after close combat drop: 252+ Atk Mega Steelix Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 274-324 (84.5 - 100%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem with Heliolisk is that it can easily evade bulky Pokemon that try to check it with Volt Switch, while the Pokemon that happen to stop Volt Switch completely can't switch in safely. xzern you list Hariyama as a counter which I'm okay with, however Hariyama cannot keep 'countering' Heliolisk because of Volt Switch. This is different from something like Typhlosion because Heliolisk actually gains momentum from Hariyama switch-ins and Hariyama can't do anything back, while Heliolisk chips away at it and bring in their Hariyama check for nearly no cost. This applies to Grass-types and the like that are supposed to counter Heliolisk. I find it way too easy using Heliolisk just by clicking Volt Switch while threatening Ground-types with its coverage.

Of course, you might say the same about Raichu, but Heliolisk also has a very safe other move in STAB Hyper Voice. Unlike Raichu Heliolisk cannot be countered by the likes of Lanturn and Grass-types, and Hyper Voice is probably actually more spammable than Raichu's Thunderbolt for also hitting Ground-types for decent damage as well as the fact that a lot of Ghost-types can't beat Heliolisk.

The only argument I might accept against Heliolisk ban would be the fact that it is easily worn down with all the switching between Volt Switch, Life Orb, and priority. But it's not like the priority users can switch in on a Hyper Voice / Volt Switch anyway, and the hazards damage are a minimal cost when you consider the momentum gain each time Heliolisk comes in and Volt Switches.

As for MegaLix I tried to come in with an open mind and see it as not broken but nah I give up, this thing's retarded. Max Atk Adamant MegaLix 2HKOs so many pokemon it's not even funny and it's a huge pain to try and defeat because it's still so bulky on both sides. It counters most Psychics, Birds, Normal-types, pretty much any physical attacker without a STAB super effective / special move. It provides so many benefits that there's no reason not to build with it and it's really difficult to kill.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
As for Heliolisk, I'm leaning towards no ban. It's extremely frail, and while it's good at what it does, it's torn to shreds by a slight breeze. Gurdurr comes very close to KOing it with just a Mach Punch (and has a decent chance of OHKOing it with a Mach Punch after SR damage), Heliolisk barely 2HKOes Virizion with a Life Orb Hyper Voice, and Cacturne, along with other STAB priority users, like to have their way with Heliolisk. While Cacturne gets a 50% chance to survive if it switches in on a Hyper Voice, it KOes Heliolisk with Sucker Punch. Cacturne can switch in on a grass knot or thunderbolt, so you have a 50% chance to not die if you mispedict. Furthermore, Heliolisk is hard checked, if not countered by, Hariyama. With an Assault Vest, Hariyama eats up anything that Heliolisk has to throw at it and can retaliate with a big, fat, Close Combat.

• 252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heliolisk: 206-246 (77.7 - 92.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 196-231 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

• i shouldnt have to tell you that any fighting stab from virizion gets a clean OHKO on heliolisk
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 136-161 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 122-146 (37.6 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

• 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cacturne: 255-302 (90.7 - 107.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heliolisk: 286-339 (107.9 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 142-168 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 110-133 (25.6 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 126-149 (29.3 - 34.7%) -- 10% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 64-75 (14.9 - 17.4%) -- possible 6HKO
Except that it just Volt Switches out as they come in, and good luck blocking that Volt Switch when every Ground-type gets bopped by Surf or Grass Knot. Pretty much the only Heliolisk check that can block its Volt Switch is Lanturn, but it can't actually do much of anything back In spite of its frailty, it actually has a fair amount of opportunities to come in, mainly against Water-types thanks to Dry Skin, but also against Ghost-types like Missy and Rotom. It's best switch-ins are Grass-types, but even then stuff like Vileplume and Tangela get 2HKOed by Hyper Voice after SRs. Besides, it can just Volt Switch out to Typhlosion or Pyroar who just eat those plants alive, and your switch-ins to these guys are either Heliolisk-bait (Mantine, Prinplup) or some of its best checks like Lanturn or Hariyama (which get really weakened really quickly, especially with hazards). About priority, while it certainly stops a Heliolisk clean, it's primary goal is to punch holes and wallbreak, not sweep. Ban imo
edit: ninja'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)