Metagame np: Stage 9 - Shake It Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here.

Suspect Jynx. It is actually impossible to consistently check. 317 speed is just fast enough that you generally need a scarf mon to revenge Jynx or Hariyama (Bullet Punch).

It can pull off 3 maybe more sets well, and this diversity makes it even more difficult to check. Lovely Kiss Sash prevents hazards, nasty plot dual stab hits waters, then my favorite is mono attack with substitute. Waters struggle to beat Jynx because of dry skin so they cannot use STAB, so Sub has a lot of utility making sure Jynx is not screwed by status or short sleep.

I think because of Jynx's base speed and lovely kiss it is impossible to check consistently and should be considered as a suspect. Samurott dies to +2 Psychic, the best "counter" is Klinklang but that can be slept then easily wittled down with Spike support from Ferroseed or whatever. Just suspect Jynx and see what happens IMO.

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
I think you're overestimating sawks power when not choiced. Although sawk is very good in this tier, it doesn't centralize the meta as much as you seem to think imo.

Plume will more than likely live two zen headbutt's if it's lum and not ebelt 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 150-178 (42.4 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery, and colbur gourgeist-super is also a very solid check with colbur berry too. Also, weezing will also more than likely live two zen headbutts, even when ebelt is the item 252+ Atk Expert Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 144-170 (43.2 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery. Musharna is also a very big threat in the tier at the moment, and can also live two knock offs, with or without colbur berry if it is fully defensive.

Sawk is a little on the slow side (when in comparison with other common offensive mons in the tier), meaning mons you have mentioned like scyther, swellow etc. can easily play around sturdy if sawk is the chosen lead.

It has also become very common for teams to have more than one phys def wall or switch in due to the lie of the meta atm. This means non-choiced sawk struggles with the power to break this. And if it isn't lead with, most players would prioritize rocks to make sure sturdy is broken for an easy kill with faster mons previously mentioned. Also, you mention jynx as being OHKO'd, however this can also be used as a shaky check due to lovely kiss.

Overall I have to say I agree that sawk is a big threat within the NU tier but it isn't broken in my opinion due to several defensive checks which deal with the choiced or non choiced sets.
you forgot expert belt and can you answer" an you give me a legitimate scenario where a non-choiced sawk does not get a free kill as a lead?

you forgot expert belt and can you answer" an you give me a legitimate scenario where a non-choiced sawk does not get a free kill as a lead?
There are a lot of different scenarios in which you can beat lead non-choiced sawk, especially if it isn't taunt. A simple answer (without getting into details of switching out and predicting moves) would be Mega-Audino, which even has a 20% chance to live 3 cc's.

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 129-153 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 80.2% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 182-216 (62.3 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-297076220

its very easy to pivot around once you've broken the sash, and every fast mon can just threaten it by breaking its sturdy then having another teammate that can either take the hit, or a faster teammate revenge it.

Last edited:

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
There are a lot of different scenarios in which you can beat lead non-choiced sawk, especially if it isn't taunt. A simple answer (without getting into details of switching out and predicting moves) would be Mega-Audino, which even has a 20% chance to live 3 cc's.
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 129-153 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 80.2% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 182-216 (62.3 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Well thats an answer, almost the only answer, not everyone should resort to it.
also for full accuracy 0 SpA Mega Audino Dazzling Gleam vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 272-324 (93.1 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

c:

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think Sawk is pretty broken right now in Neverused.
Can you give me a legitimate scenario where a non-choiced sawk does not get a free kill as a lead?
Sawk’s Combination of Sturdy and having absolutely no counter even without running a band make it the scariest Pokemon in NU.
The problem with Vileplume is that it can’t provide the damage to actually beat sawk and even if it could then it would still not break it’s sturdy. Sleep Powder could work but if Sawk uses taunt Vileplume can’t survive 2 zen headbutts. Scyther seems like a good idea but it’s unable to break sturdy and if it were to pivot out to try and break sturdy it would risk not only coming in on rocks but it would risk the switch in fainting as well. Even if Scyther does manage to get Sawk to the point that it is able to KO sawk, sawk simply can switch out. Pyroar, Archeops, Swellow and Jynx could have OHKO’d but due to sturdy still will get defeated by sawk. Even more proving sawk has “a free kill”, poison types like Gardobor and Weezing sure can switch into a CC but in both cases cannot even OHKO the sawk at -1 and you lose a mon anyways. Rotom-S and Pelipper cannot handle stone edge and fail at beating Sawk 1v1 as long as it doesn’t run taunt. All psychic types cannot OHKO because of sturdy and either are OHKO’d or are slower than sawk and cannot take 2 hits.
- Vileplume can simply Giga Drain out of Zen Headbutt 2HKO range. Baiting Sawk into using Close Combat and/or crippling it with Effect Spore makes the matchup even better for Plume.
- Taunt Sawk doesn't have room for Stone Edge so it is pretty screwed if Scyther chooses to stay in, but even assuming the Scyther player expects the CB Stone Edge, he/she can just make the conservative play and U-turn to break Sturdy without risking itself, or gain momentum should Sawk switch out and be informed that Sawk most likely isn't carrying Stone Edge. Don't know why Scyther would worry about SR at that point when, you know, Sawk is the lead and not the SRer in question.
- If Sawk so much as touches Garbodor it loses Sturdy and, again, baiting the Close Combat for the Defense drops puts Garbo in a much better position.
- Weezing is in a more awkward position, but considering it is one of the best Sawk switch-ins in the tier and the fact that it is not the end of the world if it gets hit by an Expert Belt Zen Headbutt, it isn't too much to lose really. In fact Weezing is one of the main reasons Taunt Sawk managed to integrate itself well despite the overwhelming prowess of CB Sawk (Gourgeist-Super is another big reason).
- The Psychic-types already equip Colbur Berry to handle CB Sawk such that none of them are OHKOed, so they shouldn't struggle much more with Taunt Sawk; the faster Psychics (Xatu and +Spe Mesprit, assuming Adamant Sawk) can easily survive Knock Off + Close Combat, while Musharna practically doesn't care, putting a lot of pressure on Sawk to nail them with Knock Off on the switch or miss its chance to beat them.

Simply put, you're over-exaggerating most of these matchups, and Taunt Sawk simply doesn't get the 'free kill' you expect it to unless the opposing team doesn't have solid Sawk checks in the first place (or if the Sawk user consistently makes flawless predictions). Choice Band is usually preferred anyway for 3 big reasons: it lets Sawk perform the hitbrutalize-and-run tactic much more effectively, the greatly improved OHKOing potential of its Close Combat subjects it to less direct harm, and it usually only needs to make one solid prediction to utterly ruin most of its checks.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I'm wrong on anything because I am coming off of a few months away from mons due to RL issues, but--

Does Sawk actually run Taunt? Like, in reality, how many Taunt Sawks are out there? I've seen that pop up several times in the NU room when Sawk is the topic, and now it has come up here. I've been around since BW2 and barring the last couple months, I've always kept up with NU because it is my favourite tier, and this is the first time I've heard Taunt Sawk thrown around at all. I've never seen it either in my own battles or in the NU content I've seen on youtube. (And trust me, I watch a lot of it.) Taunt does not show up on any of the most recent usage statistics, from the bottom through the top rankings.

I feel like it's sort of the mythical Charcoal Wisp Typhlosion that was thrown around in April during his suspect. That definitely wasn't a thing until the suspect came up, and I feel like people got too hung up on that one particular set that I'm still not even convinced was used in reality.

Taunt Stallbreaker Sawk sounds good in theory, but I've just never seen it used before and, to me, it sounds like it's one of those "better on paper than in battle" sets. If you're running Taunt, then you're not Choiced, and you're giving up coverage somewhere, and that's part of why Sawk is great: It can smash whatever it wants with what it gets.

I get that it's in his movepool, but I don't understand why it's getting so much attention now? Where did it come from? Is it really being used? Is it consistently better than the normal sets, or is it just the surprise factor that makes it a thing? (If it's even a thing?)

Again, I'm really really sorry if I'm just daft. I was gone from the game from the Gallade/Sneasel meta up until about a week and a half ago? I normally don't post very much (or, really, at all) because I don't ever feel like I have much to contribute because I'm only average at the game. So if I've missed something somewhere, I'm sorry!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm new here.

Suspect Jynx. It is actually impossible to consistently check. 317 speed is just fast enough that you generally need a scarf mon to revenge Jynx or Hariyama (Bullet Punch).

It can pull off 3 maybe more sets well, and this diversity makes it even more difficult to check. Lovely Kiss Sash prevents hazards, nasty plot dual stab hits waters, then my favorite is mono attack with substitute. Waters struggle to beat Jynx because of dry skin so they cannot use STAB, so Sub has a lot of utility making sure Jynx is not screwed by status or short sleep.

I think because of Jynx's base speed and lovely kiss it is impossible to check consistently and should be considered as a suspect. Samurott dies to +2 Psychic, the best "counter" is Klinklang but that can be slept then easily wittled down with Spike support from Ferroseed or whatever. Just suspect Jynx and see what happens IMO.
Jynx is simply not suspect worth for a wide variety of reasons, and I'll explain why. First of all, there are quite a few things wrong with your argument as to why it should be suspected.
317 speed is just fast enough that you generally need a scarf mon to revenge Jynx or Hariyama (Bullet Punch)
Don't get me wrong, 317 is a great Speed tier, but it is certainly not as incredible as you make it out to be here, considering there are a handful of prominent threats which are naturally faster than it such as Pyroar, Archeops, and Tauros. That alone disproves the point that you need a Choice Scarf user or Hariyama to revenge it, which is far from true. Choice Scarfers aren't very good in this metagame as there are so many potent setup sweepers and wallbreakers that can take advantage of something locked into a relatively weak attack, and most offensive Pokemon typically want to be able to switch up moves. Hariyama is not the only relevant priority user in the tier that can revenge Jynx, there are quite a few others such as Kangaskhan, Hitmonchan, Zangoose, Scyther, Linoone, etc. I will give you that Jynx is significantly less susceptible to priority than other frail Pokemon because it is immune to Aqua Jet and can bypass Sucker Punch with Lovely Kiss, but saying you need a scarfer or Hariyama is far from true.

Jynx honestly cannot pull off three sets well, it really only has two viable sets being Life Orb and Focus Sash (or if you want to differentiate 3 attacks and Nasty Plot). Mono attacking with Substitute is, to put it bluntly, an awful set because by giving up a STAB move and / or Focus Blast you're walled by so much more given how commonplace Ice resists are. Jynx is notable for its ability to break past most ice resists either with its secondary STAB move or Focus Blast, and by not running either of those you're not using Jynx to its full potential.
the best "counter" is Klinklang but that can be slept then easily wittled down with Spike support from Ferroseed or whatever.
Klinklang is most certainly far from a counter to Jynx, as Focus Blast is quite common on Jynx, simply put, and saying it'd be worn down by Spikes from Ferroseed is rather confusing. Yes, Ferroseed is worn down by Spikes, that is an established fact. But Jynx doesn't fit on the types of teams Ferroseed would, as it saps so much momentum and Jynx fits much better of faster offensive builds.
Here are a few other Pokemon which can reliable switch into Jynx and check or counter it depending on its moveset: Mega Audino (only loses to Nasty Plot sets, and even versus those it can set up Calm Minds versus), Malamar (lives two hits from Life Orb Jynx and runs Rest Talk so it has less to worry about with Lovely Kiss), Piloswine (non Focus Blast variants), and others.

I'm new here.

the thing about jynx is, even tho its coverage and ability to sleep one of its checks makes it a tough threat to switch into, it kinda struggles against more offensively oriented teams, which the meta is shifting towards. base 95 speed really isnt all that hot since the majority of big offensive threats in the tier (tauros, archeops, pyroar, scyther) all sit in that 100-110 range and can all pretty much ohko it from full as long as its not sash (im not sure where you were going w/ scarf mons cause there aren't many scarfers (if any) in this meta that are worth using). the best set is definitely sash cause it lets you actually take an emergency hit from any of the mons that i listed above, sub also lets you do this, but it comes with a bit of 4mss b/c mono-ice coverage (that's not freeze dry) is very mediocre right now. you make the point about dry skin making it a good answer to water types, but the only thing it really helps w/ is being immune to jet. pretty much every water type in the s-a ranks has a way to threaten it or at least pivot out of it (rott megahorn, defensive costa is actually a really good check, floatzel 2hkos w/ focus blast, lanturn has a ~75% chance to break a potential sub w/ volt switch).

basically, meta trends just aren't too kind to jynx right now. pursuit trapping and priority are at an all-time high with all of the other psychic types and frail offensive threats and both of which are the banes of jynx's existence. im not saying jynx is a bad mon at all (in fact i was one one of its biggest fans going into open) but i just dont think its close to being suspect worthy.

also about the sawk business, its kinda the same arguments jynx tbh. on paper, sawk has no counters and no reliable defensive answers, but in reality its a mon that's super reliant on prediction in order to get by said counters and checked by the lot of faster offensive mons that are running around the tier rn. now i know that the prediction argument goes both ways, yadayadayada, but in reality when using sawk you're gonna have to predict right in order to get by your checks. i really dont like the argument of non-choiced sawk because the power difference really is that noticeable. its not too difficult to realize that when your vileplume gets knocked off and its doing ~25-30 that its not exactly adamant cb lol. the best thing it has going for it is that sturdy is an absolute bitch to deal with because it pretty much means its getting a kill against frailer teams that cant afford to run rly stuff like mush and plume, and rely on faster defensive checks like bulky rotom and mismag. even still, those offensive teams will have ways to outspeed it and pressure it offensively rather than just switch in to it w/ a fat mon. its a really annoying mon to prepare for and you definitely have to account for it in the teambuilder, but i dont think its centralizing to the point where we'd need to test it.

also sniped D:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Forgive me if I'm wrong on anything because I am coming off of a few months away from mons due to RL issues, but--

Does Sawk actually run Taunt? Like, in reality, how many Taunt Sawks are out there? I've seen that pop up several times in the NU room when Sawk is the topic, and now it has come up here. I've been around since BW2 and barring the last couple months, I've always kept up with NU because it is my favourite tier, and this is the first time I've heard Taunt Sawk thrown around at all. I've never seen it either in my own battles or in the NU content I've seen on youtube. (And trust me, I watch a lot of it.) Taunt does not show up on any of the most recent usage statistics, from the bottom through the top rankings.

I feel like it's sort of the mythical Charcoal Wisp Typhlosion that was thrown around in April during his suspect. That definitely wasn't a thing until the suspect came up, and I feel like people got too hung up on that one particular set that I'm still not even convinced was used in reality.

Taunt Stallbreaker Sawk sounds good in theory, but I've just never seen it used before and, to me, it sounds like it's one of those "better on paper than in battle" sets. If you're running Taunt, then you're not Choiced, and you're giving up coverage somewhere, and that's part of why Sawk is great: It can smash whatever it wants with what it gets.

I get that it's in his movepool, but I don't understand why it's getting so much attention now? Where did it come from? Is it really being used? Is it consistently better than the normal sets, or is it just the surprise factor that makes it a thing? (If it's even a thing?)

Again, I'm really really sorry if I'm just daft. I was gone from the game from the Gallade/Sneasel meta up until about a week and a half ago? I normally don't post very much (or, really, at all) because I don't ever feel like I have much to contribute because I'm only average at the game. So if I've missed something somewhere, I'm sorry!
You'd be forgiven to think this due to Taunt Sawk's rarity; that is really just a testament to the effectiveness of Choice Band Sawk. That said, as far as non-Choiced Sawks go, Taunt Sawk is the next best thing, due to its ability to trip over its bulkier counters to make up for the lesser power of not holding CB. Gourgeist-Super would be forced into using a resisted Foul Play, putting it at a major disadvantage against Sawk. If Sawk has its Sturdy intact, Knocks Musharna Off on the switch, and Taunts it as it uses a non-damaging move, Sawk can actually come out on top of that matchup, albeit with 1 HP remaining. If Sawk hits Weezing on the switch (not with Close Combat) and interrupts its move with Taunt, Sawk can swiftly take down Weezing with 2 Zen Headbutts and weather a Sludge Bomb for less than 50%, which is plenty workable health for Sawk due to its SR resist.

Sets like these may be effective but can be underrepresented; that is what you would refer to as 'underrated'.

Last edited:

As someone who has used Taunt on Sawk it's actually pretty fun but it is niche of course. I've mostly used it as an anti-lead poke in 5th gen when Golem was a very popular lead. As of effectiveness now, I'd put my money on Banded being the best set, but non-choice + Taunt can definitely be used to surprise people.

Jynx is simply not suspect worth for a wide variety of reasons, and I'll explain why. First of all, there are quite a few things wrong with your argument as to why it should be suspected.
Don't get me wrong, 317 is a great Speed tier, but it is certainly not as incredible as you make it out to be here, considering there are a handful of prominent threats which are naturally faster than it such as Pyroar, Archeops, and Tauros. That alone disproves the point that you need a Choice Scarf user or Hariyama to revenge it, which is far from true. Choice Scarfers aren't very good in this metagame as there are so many potent setup sweepers and wallbreakers that can take advantage of something locked into a relatively weak attack, and most offensive Pokemon typically want to be able to switch up moves. Hariyama is not the only relevant priority user in the tier that can revenge Jynx, there are quite a few others such as Kangaskhan, Hitmonchan, Zangoose, Scyther, Linoone, etc. I will give you that Jynx is significantly less susceptible to priority than other frail Pokemon because it is immune to Aqua Jet and can bypass Sucker Punch with Lovely Kiss, but saying you need a scarfer or Hariyama is far from true.

Jynx honestly cannot pull off three sets well, it really only has two viable sets being Life Orb and Focus Sash (or if you want to differentiate 3 attacks and Nasty Plot). Mono attacking with Substitute is, to put it bluntly, an awful set because by giving up a STAB move and / or Focus Blast you're walled by so much more given how commonplace Ice resists are. Jynx is notable for its ability to break past most ice resists either with its secondary STAB move or Focus Blast, and by not running either of those you're not using Jynx to its full potential.

Klinklang is most certainly far from a counter to Jynx, as Focus Blast is quite common on Jynx, simply put, and saying it'd be worn down by Spikes from Ferroseed is rather confusing. Yes, Ferroseed is worn down by Spikes, that is an established fact. But Jynx doesn't fit on the types of teams Ferroseed would, as it saps so much momentum and Jynx fits much better of faster offensive builds.
Here are a few other Pokemon which can reliable switch into Jynx and check or counter it depending on its moveset: Mega Audino (only loses to Nasty Plot sets, and even versus those it can set up Calm Minds versus), Malamar (lives two hits from Life Orb Jynx and runs Rest Talk so it has less to worry about with Lovely Kiss), Piloswine (non Focus Blast variants), and others.
Ok I have to disagree with you saying mono-attacker is a "horrible" set. Substitute makes Jynx even more difficult to revenge kill, all those pokemon you named are killed by +2 Ice Beam besides Kangaskhan. Also it sets up on Sucker Punch Shiftry which is really cool.

While Jynx fails to take momemtum vs HO, that ignores how well it does vs balance and anything slower.

Just because people usually use Jynx on offense doesn't mean it can't be used with Spike support on a balanced team.. the main reason I mentioned Ferroseed is to switch into priority normal-type moves and Klinklang. If Jynx gets the opportunity to lovely kiss few things feel comfortable switching in on it. You mentioned a few like Malamar but with SR that is 2HKOd by Life Orb Ice Beam. The only way to stop Jynx is to not let it start at all or dodge a Lovely Kiss.

Using Mega Audino to check Jynx is a complete waste and risk as Jynx just gets +2 and then crushes it. We can agree to disagree, but its safe to say nothing consistently checks Jynx on the defensive side depending on the set (maybe Lanturn) and of course Skuntank has Pursuit. The best bet is to completely discourage it from coming in with straight HO, but someone shouldnt have to run HO to always beat Jynx.

In terms of counters to Jynx, you forgot our lord and savior, the mighty Metang!

The only reason Metang is known as a counter to Jynx is that it was used often in late Gen V because Jynx was horribly centralizing that meta and Metang was simply the best we had in NU to stop it.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So as it stands, balance and offense seem to be the predominant playstyles in this metagame due to the large number of excellent wallbreakers (Sawk, Magmortar, Aurorus) and sweepers (Samurott, Lilligant, Vivillon) and relative lack of defensive Pokémon that aren't too passive. I've been experimenting with stall recently and while I've lost my fair share of games it's been more effective than I first thought. NU's offense is formidable but there are a few defensive stalwarts that make it possible to play defensively: Mega Audino has enough bulk to take on most non-setup sweepers and is stall's best response to Knock Off and Trick, Quagsire can take on most setup sweepers that lack Grass type attacks (and takes Psyshocks quite well to boot), and Musharna can set up on most of the tier and provide a nice win condition for the end game (or 6-0 from the start if people don't prepare for it) I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on getting a full stall / defensive team to work in this meta, and whether any of the potential drops in the next few days is likely to make stall any more or less viable (I'm thinking Steelix).

Honestly its too hard to say with any absolute certainty. Altaria, Steelix and Camerupt can contribute defensively but I can just as easily see them being used offensively (specsTaria, SF LO Lix, tankRupt) or not at all. Assuming this post is accurate we'll be getting more offensively inclined mons than defensive. I'm absolutely giddy to possibly run Sceptile again (favorite mon tbh), meanwhile Pinsir is strictly offense, Lopunny is a joke (shitty kanga for PU?), Beedril is a bad scyther, Banette will prolly be exclusively decent as a TR starter so offensive mon again and Glalie will be an overly average/bad spiker.

Unless we get any of the mons predicted to go RU then things would be REAL interesting.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly its too hard to say with any absolute certainty. Altaria, Steelix and Camerupt can contribute defensively but I can just as easily see them being used offensively (specsTaria, SF LO Lix, tankRupt) or not at all. Assuming this post is accurate we'll be getting more offensively inclined mons than defensive. I'm absolutely giddy to possibly run Sceptile again (favorite mon tbh), meanwhile Pinsir is strictly offense, Lopunny is a joke (shitty kanga for PU?), Beedril is a bad scyther, Banette will prolly be exclusively decent as a TR starter so offensive mon again and Glalie will be an overly average/bad spiker.

Unless we get any of the mons predicted to go RU then things would be REAL interesting.
Abomasnow as has a small chance to quickdrop, Although it's more offensive than defensive (And no your not getting any of the mons predicted to drop to RU until January)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)