np: UU Stage 2.1 - You Are Invited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what non-BP Smeargle would accomplish for the tier. It's a very bad lead, yeah it has Spore but Azelf and Custap Forretress(or even shuckle if you want sticky) are miles more reliable. Keep it banned imo, it doesn't do unnecessary rule bending and saves effort that could be put into looking to potentially broken mons.
Smeargle also has Magic Coat which bounces back faster Taunts, which none of those have. That alone coupled with hazards and spore puts Smeargle in a very unique position. It can grab momentum in several ways. That base 75 speed also puts it at a decent speed tier. + Speed nature and 252 Evs is faster than Modest Nidoqueen, Adamant Honchkrow, Modest Mega stoise, Mega Swampy, all the clerics in UU and most hazard setters (forry, donphan, empoleon).

smeargle is a great sticky web lead, miles ahead of galvantula. the sr/spikes set is also legit. if we banned it for smashpass, then we need to ban gorebyss as well which does literally the same thing yet no one cares about it. geopass is the only really broken set, and imo banning geomancy is the way to go.

i still feel that sleep+smash pass is a unhealthy combo. while there may be lower tier mons that have that ability as well (im not sure) they dont have the damn near infinite movepool smeargle does. the reason why gorebyss isnt broken is bc gorebyss sucks tbfh it is weak to not only support moves like roar and taunt but to strong attackers, smeargle can at least stop the support side of things. this fact would make the best passer by a long shot, which i believe make it unhealthy. smeargle with out bp would be cool tho

smeargle is a great sticky web lead, miles ahead of galvantula. the sr/spikes set is also legit. if we banned it for smashpass, then we need to ban gorebyss as well which does literally the same thing yet no one cares about it. geopass is the only really broken set, and imo banning geomancy is the way to go.
I can't remember with perfect clarity, but I believe that Smeargle with Quiver Dance and Baton Pass was still found to be broken. Denis' formula breaks Baton Pass and Smeargle together. We could try Shift Gear or Shell Smash, but I feel as though the more expedient route is to simply ban Baton Pass on Smeargle rather than take the time to see if DenisPass is broken without Geomancy or Quiver Dance.

I do like that Galvantula can beat every Magic Bounce user 1v1, but that's pretty much the only redeeming feature for this mon. Grass coverage is nice, but if you want to run it you have 4MSS, and Nidoqueen is neutral to grass anyways so it doesn't help you there. So yeah, some more options for sticky web laying would be really nice because the current one is pretty lackluster.

Offensive belly drum smeargle y/n
I wanna try Smeargle with transform. Lure in something powerful, put it to sleep, boost, then transform. It's probably almost certainly ridiculously impractical, but it sounds like it'd be a blast if you could pull it off.

Darvin that latter set does sound pretty good as an anti meta set. Spore/Transform/Agility/Magic Coat with focus sash. Agility lets you become faster than scarfer moxie users while nabbing the speed boost to not being RK by scarfers. Mavic Coat so youre not Taunt Bait.

Itll be like a pseudo imposter ditto with Spore.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm wary of the idea of a complex ban of Smeargle + BP. It just flies in the face of established smogon policy and I don't see how it's different than, as was proposed and subsequently shot down in the first ORAS OU suspect, a Greninja + Protean ban. It's removing an element of a broken Pokemon for no other reason than to let it be legal for its own sake.

I guess in this case it is entirely clear that the broken element of Smeargle is BP, as opposed to Greninja where it wasn't broken until it got enhanced coverage from ORAS, but I'm still hesitant about the precedent this would set. Yeah I know "slippery slope," but this isn't as drastic a case as the Aldaron proposal... I would appreciate some thoughts from council members on the precedent side of things.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm wary of the idea of a complex ban of Smeargle + BP. It just flies in the face of established smogon policy and I don't see how it's different than, as was proposed and subsequently shot down in the first ORAS OU suspect, a Greninja + Protean ban. It's removing an element of a broken Pokemon for no other reason than to let it be legal for its own sake.

I guess in this case it is entirely clear that the broken element of Smeargle is BP, as opposed to Greninja where it wasn't broken until it got enhanced coverage from ORAS, but I'm still hesitant about the precedent this would set. Yeah I know "slippery slope," but this isn't as drastic a case as the Aldaron proposal... I would appreciate some thoughts from council members on the precedent side of things.
The difference is that smeargle would actually have decent viability outside of baton pass while greninja would have just died with the lack of protean.

We have banned sand veil with garchomp...

This coincides with the point Thisbemyalt just mentioned. Garchomp is still very very viable without sand veil and smeargle will still be viable without baton pass!

I want to hear exactly what kind of complex ban the council has in mind before speculating on what kind of precedent it sets. I'm cautious regarding complex bans like everyone else here, but I'm also sympathetic to rescuing an interesting mon from BL limbo.

Hi if we're gonna talk about Smeargle lets keep the discussion to legitimate sets
There will be a lot of taunt leads if smeargle gets back in uu so having a scarf trick can lock your opponent into taunt. Then the following turn you uturn or parting shot and boom you have momentum. Viable imo. Transform on a chandy as it goes for fire blast. Spore is still good as it offers a free switch (sometimes) to gain leverage on the sleeping pokemon that would have been faster than smeargle.

Its viable just a bit situational

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nuzzle does a pretty good job of beating taunt leads. I don't think a trick set that is situational at best is really needed to do that.

I do like that Galvantula can beat every Magic Bounce user 1v1,
252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 254-300 (76 - 89.8%)

max hp espeon can beat 1v1, uninvested psyshock doing ~60%, but shaky on the switchin

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The difference is that smeargle would actually have decent viability outside of baton pass while greninja would have just died with the lack of protean.
The problem with this argument is that the same could be said for BW Excadrill w/o Sand Rush or Genesect w/o Choice Scarf/Band. It begs the question of why not doing the same for every BL pokemon. I'm sure Zygarde w/o Coil or something along those lines would be perfectly healthy for the tier.

We have banned sand veil with garchomp...
Sand Veil was banned as a whole, not just on Garchomp. This even had some "collateral" effects on the meta since Sand Veil Gliscor was somewhat viable (or so I've heard). If QuiverPass or w/e Smeargle wasn't found to be broken, then I'd be perfectly ok with a Geomancy ban, since it wouldn't be setting a dangerous precedent.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but what about a "Sleep-Pass" clause? A pokemon is not allowed to have both a sleep-inducing move and baton pass. Combined with a Geomancy ban, that might be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)