np: UU Stage 4 - I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
But then you flinch their Donphan and win.
Well that's a given.

So, what is the senate going to be evaluating next? I know there was some mention of spikes and spikes users earlier...

Also will we getting a new megathread

I think Rain is still pretty powerful, especially now that both Sand and Hail are banned. It doesn't really have much depth, and if your weather setter dies or your point Pokemon gets killed, its over.

Though this is speaking from a theory based point of view.
Actually sand isn't banned, you can use Hippopotas.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I think we should wait a while before looking at anything else. Spikes and Rain seem to be the biggest threats at the moment, but UU is probably going to change greatly come January as judging by the OU usage stats we're going to lose:

Tornadus
Chansey
Donphan
Jolteon
Mamoswine
Dugtrio

and possibly (but doubtful) Alakazam.

I think with all these changes we could see some major changes such as Rain being weaker because of the lack of Tornadus and the premier special wall leaving. This means no more blobs to wall everything, no more Dugtrio to trap, and no more generally useful Donphan, though Blastoise is a cooler spinner anyway.

We get Swampert to replace Donphan anyway, so Electric types will be just as pissed off. All in all, just about anything could happen with UU Round 5, so I don't think it's time to discuss any Suspects. Let's just play this pretty good meta before everyone leaves to play with the big dogs...

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly, I think we should wait a while before looking at anything else. Spikes and Rain seem to be the biggest threats at the moment, but UU is probably going to change greatly come January as judging by the OU usage stats we're going to lose:

Tornadus
Chansey
Donphan
Jolteon
Mamoswine
Dugtrio

and possibly (but doubtful) Alakazam.

I think with all these changes we could see some major changes such as Rain being weaker because of the lack of Tornadus and the premier special wall leaving. This means no more blobs to wall everything, no more Dugtrio to trap, and no more generally useful Donphan, though Blastoise is a cooler spinner anyway.

We get Swampert to replace Donphan anyway, so Electric types will be just as pissed off. All in all, just about anything could happen with UU Round 5, so I don't think it's time to discuss any Suspects. Let's just play this pretty good meta before everyone leaves to play with the big dogs...
I see where you're coming from. I agree.

Rain without tornadus is going to be a little worse. I'll have to end up using Sableye or Rain Dish Pelipper, depending on whether I care more about Prankster or Hurricane. Or I could just go with Accelgor, Alazakam, or some other random rain setter. The best part of running rain is finding something awesome that can use Rain Dance.

Chansey leaving <3

Donphan leaving is a little sad. He came down to us in 4th Gen, now he's leaving us in 5th. Can someone explain to me why anyone would use him over Hippowodon in OU though?

Jolteon, meh.

Mamoswine is an asshole, glad he's going.

Dugtrio :( Just while I was waiting for sand force dugtrio too.

Tornadus moving is definitely going to be causing a huge loss for rain :(

At least we still have Prankster Sableye/Murkrow for rain, but eh

BAN CHANSEY

Sheesh, Sand gets nerfed, people start looking at Hail. Hail gets banned, people start looking at Rain...

Anyway, go to hell OU, Chansey, and never come back.

Really looking forward to a post-Hail/OU-shifts meta, especially if we get Swampert.

I'm going to have to build a team without Donphan? That's madness.

While fucking around on the ladder (im assuming it's going to be reset?) I've been using Insomnia Honchkrow, and it's working really well. No one expects Superpower, and no one expects me to be immune to their Roserade's Sleep Powder and they get dominated by Brave Bird.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really don't see why spinning is so important in UU. If you keep the offensive pressure up, your opponent wouldn't dare setting up Spikes on you anyway (unless it's Froslass, who fucks you over even with a spinner).

I really don't see why spinning is so important in UU. If you keep the offensive pressure up, your opponent wouldn't dare setting up Spikes on you anyway (unless it's Froslass, who fucks you over even with a spinner).
Because there are many good users of Spikes, heavy or fast. With a bit of prediction you can set up the Spikes and a lot of Pokemon in UU are grounded. 25% each switch can be the difference between victory and defeat.

On the subject of rain, Omastar desperately needs more love. With a smash up he can outrun every non-scarfer up to Electrode (who cares about Electrode tbh its just to show how fast he can be), and that's with a Modest nature. With Timid, Omastar outruns even Accelgor and shenanigans like Scarf Adamant Flygon. Omastar reaches a scary 658 Special Attack after a smash with a Timid nature, and if you are running Modest it has 700+ SpA.

Omastar can wreck a lot of shit with Modest +2 Hydro Pump, and if rain is still up Omastar is basically guaranteed OHKOs after OHKOs, and you need to be ridiculously specially bulky to actually not get OHKO'd by Omastar under rain (Chansey, Milotic, Registeel, Suicune, Empoleon, Escavalier and Snorlax). Omastar can also run Earth Power instead of HP Grass to surprise Empoleon/Registeel, netting an easy 2HKO on them.

Despite Omastar's quirky list of weaknesses, it has surprising physical bulk (Hitmontop's Close Combat can't OHKO whereas Omastar can setup a smash and OHKO him back with Hydro Pump). 115 base defense is nothing to scoff at and its funny to see that virtually everybody underestimates his bulk and realise in shock horror that they 3HKO him while he smashes them back with +2 Surf/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam. The only counter I can think of is Scarf Jolteon who can come in on the smash and outrun + KO with Thunderbolt.

I'm going to have to build a team without Donphan? That's madness.

While fucking around on the ladder (im assuming it's going to be reset?) I've been using Insomnia Honchkrow, and it's working really well. No one expects Superpower, and no one expects me to be immune to their Roserade's Sleep Powder and they get dominated by Brave Bird.
Agreed. I don't see the appeal of Moxie when you're forced to lose out on some of your best moves and it's only really useful if you get a sweep going... And Sleep Immunity is better than extra hax, and makes people rage slightly less.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because there are many good users of Spikes, heavy or fast. With a bit of prediction you can set up the Spikes and a lot of Pokemon in UU are grounded. 25% each switch can be the difference between victory and defeat.
The point is if you keep the offensive pressure up, they can't set up that many layers of Spikes up because they have no time. Yeah, go ahead and set up 3 layers of Spikes while I set up a Sub and Calm Mind twice with SubCM Raikou or something like that, I dare you.

Or, it might be all I do these days is spam Brave Bird with 5 Choice Banded / Scarfed Flying-types. But that should mean I want a spinner for SR, right (TIP: I don't).

Donphan going really sucks, but I'm sure it will return to UU early 2012. The closest thing to Donphan is Sandslash, so hopefully that will do okay, despite it's inferior stats.

Also something needs to be done about Roserade, it's LO set rapes everything but steel types and fat special walls (which both get Sleep Powdered) and the Specially Defensive set is the no.1 culprit of the dominance of Spikes.

The point is if you keep the offensive pressure up, they can't set up that many layers of Spikes up because they have no time. Yeah, go ahead and set up 3 layers of Spikes while I set up a Sub and Calm Mind twice with SubCM Raikou or something like that, I dare you.

Or, it might be all I do these days is spam Brave Bird with 5 Choice Banded / Scarfed Flying-types. But that should mean I want a spinner for SR, right (TIP: I don't).
Ok, but you can set up 1 layer and switch in Chansey, for example... If you play against a good player, he won't make that mistake. And he can start to force switches.

Very rarely will you even get the chance to setup more than 1 layer of spikes

SR on the other hand is equal to 3 layers of spikes against a super-effective target.

Very rarely will you even get the chance to setup more than 1 layer of spikes

SR on the other hand is equal to 3 layers of spikes against a super-effective target.
Well, I usually find free turns when Roserade faces to a bulky water or Chansey. I also get a chance when Qwilfish takes a hit from Heracross / Darmanitan / Escavalier... It isn't so difficult.

On the other hand, UU is a tier where many Pokemon are grounded, and only a few take a super-effective damage from SR.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tornadus
Chansey
Donphan
Jolteon
Mamoswine
Dugtrio
So this is still happening?

Despite the removal of Mamosine, Donphan and Jolteon i'm glad that the rest of them are leaving UU. Especially Chansey, OU players are really fucking awesome sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)